Skip to content

Rams trade to number 1

The Browns Board
175 38 6.5k
  • This is basically the best case scenario, and worst case scenario at the same time. If there is a QB that we had targeted, there is a good chance that we don't get him now. While on the other hand, many people I've heard discussing analytics have stated that acquiring picks is the way to go.

    I think there's NO WAY we stay at number two. In fact, I don't see HOW we can. Just look at the number of impactful free agents we lost, AND the veterans that we've cut! And I'm not talking about veterans just taking up space, I'm talking about STARTERS. How in the hell do you replace that kind of loss? Well, you don't in one year, but you start by getting as many picks as possible. You DON'T stay at number two, no matter what.

    We aren't going to be good this year (news flash!), and we're probably not going to be good next year. We need picks, and we need them to be GOOD picks. We're going to trade with the Eagles, and I think it's probably about a done deal.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    If there is a QB that we had targeted, there is a good chance that we don't get him now.

    Actually if we have a QB in mind for #2, there's a 50/50 shot of him being there and he'd be the only reason to stay at #2...

  • @hoorta said:

    I've been meditating Gip. If the Browns had been sitting at #1, and this trade was offered to them- I take it in a New York minute. We get Ghoolie's fave Lynch, have three second round picks this year, plus an extra first and third in 2017.

    "All of those draft picks don't mean anything".- Ray Farmer

    @canton-dawg said:

    "All of those draft picks don't mean anything".- Ray Farmer

    Farmer could blow them with the best of them? Although...to be fair, the jury is still out on Shelton and Erving.

  • I've said it before and I'll say it again. There are 7-8 top players in this draft. We can trade down to that range and still get a blue chipper.

  • VesnaKociper said:

    RG3 will be a cripple and out of football by week 10. Don't be ridiculous.

    Maybe....but are Kaepernick or Bradford any better really?

  • If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

  • If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    @darren15 said:

    If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    Bear in mind their true draft spot is 13, they got to 8 in a trade with miami.

  • If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    @darren15 said:

    If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    #8

    2017 1st rounder

    Fletcher Cox

  • If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    @darren15 said:

    If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    I'm honestly not crazy about this, but a way to look at this strictly from pick compensation is the draft value chart: http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

    From 8-2 is a difference of 1200 "points". The thing is they don't have another pick until round 3, pick 77 which is 2015 "points" and pick 79 which is 195. With that in mind it would certainly either take their 2017 first round pick or a player like Cox as noted above. Idk, with what is on the table I don't like trading that far down writing this all out.

  • @darren15 said:

    If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    #8

    2017 1st rounder

    Fletcher Cox

    @londonbrown said:

    #8

    2017 1st rounder

    Fletcher Cox

    Knowing us we would take Donovan McNabb

  • @londonbrown said:

    #8

    2017 1st rounder

    Fletcher Cox

    Knowing us we would take Donovan McNabb

    @darren15 said:

    Knowing us we would take Donovan McNabb

    Or chip kelly.

  • This is basically the best case scenario, and worst case scenario at the same time. If there is a QB that we had targeted, there is a good chance that we don't get him now. While on the other hand, many people I've heard discussing analytics have stated that acquiring picks is the way to go.

    I think there's NO WAY we stay at number two. In fact, I don't see HOW we can. Just look at the number of impactful free agents we lost, AND the veterans that we've cut! And I'm not talking about veterans just taking up space, I'm talking about STARTERS. How in the hell do you replace that kind of loss? Well, you don't in one year, but you start by getting as many picks as possible. You DON'T stay at number two, no matter what.

    We aren't going to be good this year (news flash!), and we're probably not going to be good next year. We need picks, and we need them to be GOOD picks. We're going to trade with the Eagles, and I think it's probably about a done deal.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    This is basically the best case scenario, and worst case scenario at the same time. If there is a QB that we had targeted, there is a good chance that we don't get him now. While on the other hand, many people I've heard discussing analytics have stated that acquiring picks is the way to go.

    I think there's NO WAY we stay at number two. In fact, I don't see HOW we can. Just look at the number of impactful free agents we lost, AND the veterans that we've cut! And I'm not talking about veterans just taking up space, I'm talking about STARTERS. How in the hell do you replace that kind of loss? Well, you don't in one year, but you start by getting as many picks as possible. You DON'T stay at number two, no matter what.

    We aren't going to be good this year (news flash!), and we're probably not going to be good next year. We need picks, and we need them to be GOOD picks. We're going to trade with the Eagles, and I think it's probably about a done deal.

    I like the Eagles scenario.

    That said, I have to believe teams knowing the Rams are taking 1 QB off the board only increases some disparity for teams to try to move up like Dallas or SF. Denver may not have an ideal draft slot per say; but they do have a vet or 2 or 3 that could sweeten up their offer; plus they don't have very many openings they need to fill in terms of how many picks they can part with this year. Last year, they had a 2nd or 3rd string edge rusher we couldn't block (it wasn't Shane Ray and his name escapes me while his performance couldn't) but I get the sense he's a possible bang for the buck our analytics crew might like.

  • If Wentz is their guy and Goff was always ours (or vice versa) then nothing has really changed for us other than the soar in value of the number 2 pick.

    You can almost hear the buttons on the calculators in the FO thumping.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    If there is a QB that we had targeted, there is a good chance that we don't get him now.

    Actually if we have a QB in mind for #2, there's a 50/50 shot of him being there and he'd be the only reason to stay at #2...

    @tour2ma said:

    Actually if we have a QB in mind for #2, there's a 50/50 shot of him being there and he'd be the only reason to stay at #2...

    Yup. I doubt we'll move down unless another team gets crazy like the Rams. LA had better hope (assuming they draft Wentz) that he turns into the next Aaron Rodgers. And if that comes to pass, I almost feel sorry for Carson. Talk about culture shock- going from Fargo to Los Angeles. I would LMAO if he tells the Rams he doesn't want to play for them- ala Elway and Eli Manning did when they didn't like the team that drafted them.

    @gftchris said:

    Bear in mind their true draft spot is 13, they got to 8 in a trade with miami.

    & that cost them their second round pick the Rams used to move up to #1 overall. So if we want picks this year, the Eagles aren't very attractive.

    @londonbrown said:

    #8

    2017 1st rounder

    Fletcher Cox

    Sounds about right. #8 would be a great place to draft Zeke Elliot.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    This is basically the best case scenario, and worst case scenario at the same time. If there is a QB that we had targeted, there is a good chance that we don't get him now. While on the other hand, many people I've heard discussing analytics have stated that acquiring picks is the way to go.

    I think there's NO WAY we stay at number two. In fact, I don't see HOW we can. Just look at the number of impactful free agents we lost, AND the veterans that we've cut! And I'm not talking about veterans just taking up space, I'm talking about STARTERS. How in the hell do you replace that kind of loss? Well, you don't in one year, but you start by getting as many picks as possible. You DON'T stay at number two, no matter what.

    We aren't going to be good this year (news flash!), and we're probably not going to be good next year. We need picks, and we need them to be GOOD picks. We're going to trade with the Eagles, and I think it's probably about a done deal.

    I like the Eagles scenario.

    That said, I have to believe teams knowing the Rams are taking 1 QB off the board only increases some disparity for teams to try to move up like Dallas or SF. Denver may not have an ideal draft slot per say; but they do have a vet or 2 or 3 that could sweeten up their offer; plus they don't have very many openings they need to fill in terms of how many picks they can part with this year. Last year, they had a 2nd or 3rd string edge rusher we couldn't block (it wasn't Shane Ray and his name escapes me while his performance couldn't) but I get the sense he's a possible bang for the buck our analytics crew might like.

    @flugel said:

    I like the Eagles scenario.

    That said, I have to believe teams knowing the Rams are taking 1 QB off the board only increases some disparity for teams to try to move up like Dallas or SF. Denver may not have an ideal draft slot per say; but they do have a vet or 2 or 3 that could sweeten up their offer; plus they don't have very many openings they need to fill in terms of how many picks they can part with this year. Last year, they had a 2nd or 3rd string edge rusher we couldn't block (it wasn't Shane Ray and his name escapes me while his performance couldn't) but I get the sense he's a possible bang for the buck our analytics crew might like.

    I also like Wentz and Goff enough to take whatever guy LA doesn't take.

  • If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    @darren15 said:

    If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    Whatever we get, we need to have them throw The Liberty Bell in for good measure, no?

  • @darren15 said:

    If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    Whatever we get, we need to have them throw The Liberty Bell in for good measure, no?

    @the-gipper said:

    Whatever we get, we need to have them throw The Liberty Bell in for good measure, no?

    And maybe a few cheesesteaks 🙂

  • @the-gipper said:

    Whatever we get, we need to have them throw The Liberty Bell in for good measure, no?

    And maybe a few cheesesteaks 🙂

    @darren15 said:

    And maybe a few cheesesteaks 🙂

    To quote Rocky Balboa: "Absolutely".

  • @darren15 said:

    And maybe a few cheesesteaks 🙂

    To quote Rocky Balboa: "Absolutely".

    @the-gipper said:

    To quote Rocky Balboa: "Absolutely".

    Didn't they film the Exorcist in Philly? If so, this franchise could really use the priest.

  • @darren15 said:

    If the Eagles do trade to 2 what picks should we expect in return ....is moving from 8 to 2 worth much ?

    I'm honestly not crazy about this, but a way to look at this strictly from pick compensation is the draft value chart: http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

    From 8-2 is a difference of 1200 "points". The thing is they don't have another pick until round 3, pick 77 which is 2015 "points" and pick 79 which is 195. With that in mind it would certainly either take their 2017 first round pick or a player like Cox as noted above. Idk, with what is on the table I don't like trading that far down writing this all out.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I'm honestly not crazy about this, but a way to look at this strictly from pick compensation is the draft value chart: http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

    From 8-2 is a difference of 1200 "points". The thing is they don't have another pick until round 3, pick 77 which is 2015 "points" and pick 79 which is 195. With that in mind it would certainly either take their 2017 first round pick or a player like Cox as noted above. Idk, with what is on the table I don't like trading that far down writing this all out.

    Eagles may fall in middle of pack of 2017 draft. read a article we could get their 1st & 2nd next season & still take their 3rd this season. San Fran. has picks but Kap? & Jets maybe coming with Wilkerson/ JT??. Do our leg work, but we should not budge till our clock starts ticking..

  • @tour2ma said:

    Actually if we have a QB in mind for #2, there's a 50/50 shot of him being there and he'd be the only reason to stay at #2...

    Yup. I doubt we'll move down unless another team gets crazy like the Rams. LA had better hope (assuming they draft Wentz) that he turns into the next Aaron Rodgers. And if that comes to pass, I almost feel sorry for Carson. Talk about culture shock- going from Fargo to Los Angeles. I would LMAO if he tells the Rams he doesn't want to play for them- ala Elway and Eli Manning did when they didn't like the team that drafted them.

    @gftchris said:

    Bear in mind their true draft spot is 13, they got to 8 in a trade with miami.

    & that cost them their second round pick the Rams used to move up to #1 overall. So if we want picks this year, the Eagles aren't very attractive.

    @londonbrown said:

    #8

    2017 1st rounder

    Fletcher Cox

    Sounds about right. #8 would be a great place to draft Zeke Elliot.

    @hoorta said:

    I would LMAO if he tells the Rams he doesn't want to play for them- ala Elway and Eli Manning did when they didn't like the team that drafted them.

    That would be far more likely with us, QB death valley and career killer par excellence.

    Only one who actively texted us to come here was crazy as a hoot owl.