Skip to content

Corey Coleman !

The Browns Board
66 25 2.7k
  • I don't see him as a "#1 WR", but I DO see him as a weapon, and before him, we basically didn't have any at the WR position. Like, at all. In fact, our entire TEAM is somewhat void of weapons, but an argument can be made for Duke Johnson and Gary Barnidge...both players I like immensely. In fact, I think Hue Jackson is the perfect coach to get the most out of Duke and Gary, as well as Coleman.

    I have to be honest, I wanted Treadwell with our pick. I wanted a red zone weapon, someone that would help us score points when we finally got close to pay dirt. We were awful in the red zone last year (don't remember our rank, but it HAD to be near the bottom), and drafting Coleman doesn't really help us TOO much in the red zone (in my opinion), but he does provide us with explosiveness...something we didn't have much of.

    I don't care WHAT offense Coleman played in, 20 TD's in one year is just Retarded. And the thing I love is watching him catch the short pass, and turn it into a LONG gain! THAT'S what we need, and that's what he brings. The ability to take the ordinary, and make it extraordinary. We had a severe lack of people that can do that. And who knows? Maybe I'm dead wrong about the red zone thing. Perhaps his 40 inch vertical (40 damn inches!) will enable him to go up and grab some TD's! Coleman is certainly not a weak guy...he looks completely JACKED.

    Speaking of "Jacked"...any way we can take Myles Jack with our next pick? I know we need starters NOW, and the Browns are probably the LAST team that can take a risk, but damn...

    A potential playmaker on both defense AND offense with the first two picks? Oh, AND having two first round and two second rounders next year? Man...

  • I'm just saying you probably shouldn't cite Coleman's ability to fight physical corners, Cal. Because we have little evidence of that and insofar as we do, they're sissy Big 12 guys. They have bad corners there.

    And this Treadwell can't stretch the field thing is a narrative evidenced exclusively by his 40 time. It's not true on tape at all. On the field, he burned everyone. A&M has a CB that ran a 4.37 at the combine. Treadwell rocked his world all game.

    @wargograw said:

    I'm just saying you probably shouldn't cite Coleman's ability to fight physical corners, Cal. Because we have little evidence of that and insofar as we do, they're sissy Big 12 guys. They have bad corners there.

    And this Treadwell can't stretch the field thing is a narrative evidenced exclusively by his 40 time. It's not true on tape at all. On the field, he burned everyone. A&M has a CB that ran a 4.37 at the combine. Treadwell rocked his world all game.

    Well, I didn't mean to do that. A defensive coach said he exploded off the los and they couldn't get

    hands on him to slow him down, and when you'd back off, he'd make you pay.. said Coleman gave

    them fits and they couldn't stop him.

    Later on, after round three, there is no player like Coleman. Sterling Sharpe may go in the late second....

    Later on, there is a player that would be the tall wide reciever like Treadwell. His name is Michael Thomas,

    the one from Southern Mississippi. I wouldn't judge the Browns too quickly.... this kid

    is a Treadwell type player - he is just an inch shorter.

  • Just so we don't have to repeat this many times... the Browns drafted the most EXPLOSIVE

    WR on the entire draft board. Explosive off the los, a true burner, and a heck of

    a football player.

    Even Doctson, who is taller, has questions on his getting off the los vs phsycial

    cb's in the NFL.

    That has been the trouble with Browns' wr's in the past - not explosive off the los, out of

    their cuts. Can't get open.

    No more.

    by far the most explosive off the los wr is Coleman. The fastest of the elite class

    of wr's, is obviously Coleman. That includes Michael Thomas, who isn't explosive

    off the los, but ran a 4.41 during his pro day.

    Antonio Brown - 5'10", 188 lbs. Ran a 4.5 forty.

    I've read where Coleman is closer to 5'11"....

    The Browns have drafted their own version of Antonio Brown. Only faster,

    and more explosive.

    I MEAN, SERIOUSLY - Check this out:

    Here is a few negatives:

    "Release: Takes time to get to speed off the line, but can accelerate past safeties in coverage if unabated. Will struggle against press, and must work on his hand play on the line."

    "After the catch: Can be elusive, but lacks elite acceleration after the catch. "

    that isn't Coleman. That is Antonio Brown.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1272852

    The Browns drafted a player with a higher

    upside than Antonio Brown, speedwise/explosivewise.

    A really smart pick - even brilliant.. I won't be surprised if they pick a taller wr later as a major red zone

    target... but red zone targets don't stretch the field and give defenses serious fits

    until ...the red zone.

    Check this out:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/15211227/nfl-draft-2016-prospect-comparisons-current-players-antonio-brown-corey-coleman

    @calfoxwc said:

    Just so we don't have to repeat this many times... the Browns drafted the most EXPLOSIVE

    WR on the entire draft board. Explosive off the los, a true burner, and a heck of

    a football player.

    Even Doctson, who is taller, has questions on his getting off the los vs phsycial

    cb's in the NFL.

    That has been the trouble with Browns' wr's in the past - not explosive off the los, out of

    their cuts. Can't get open.

    No more.

    by far the most explosive off the los wr is Coleman. The fastest of the elite class

    of wr's, is obviously Coleman. That includes Michael Thomas, who isn't explosive

    off the los, but ran a 4.41 during his pro day.

    Antonio Brown - 5'10", 188 lbs. Ran a 4.5 forty.

    I've read where Coleman is closer to 5'11"....

    The Browns have drafted their own version of Antonio Brown. Only faster,

    and more explosive.

    I MEAN, SERIOUSLY - Check this out:

    Here is a few negatives:

    "Release: Takes time to get to speed off the line, but can accelerate past safeties in coverage if unabated. Will struggle against press, and must work on his hand play on the line."

    "After the catch: Can be elusive, but lacks elite acceleration after the catch. "

    that isn't Coleman. That is Antonio Brown.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1272852

    The Browns drafted a player with a higher

    upside than Antonio Brown, speedwise/explosivewise.

    A really smart pick - even brilliant.. I won't be surprised if they pick a taller wr later as a major red zone

    target... but red zone targets don't stretch the field and give defenses serious fits

    until ...the red zone.

    Check this out:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/15211227/nfl-draft-2016-prospect-comparisons-current-players-antonio-brown-corey-coleman

    Don't get crazy now, I think the trade downs are genius and I like Coleman but the Antonio brown comparisons are a little nutty. Brown is as good as he is because he won't be outworked. Brown didn't have a tremendous combine.

  • http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2016/4/25/11487566/draft-2016-wide-receivers-michael-thomas-josh-doctson-laquon-treadwell

    "They" say that Doctson and Michael Thomas, Ohio State, are the two most well-rounded

    wr's in the draft.

    All I'm saying is, the Browns have just started. I figure they won't get Michael Thomas, Ohio State.

    But, what if they draft Michael Thomas, S. Miss, ? They get their bigger wr, and they have Coleman.

    Check this out - S. Miss even used their Michael Thomas as a kr. Seriously.

    http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2016/1/8/10727946/michael-thomas-scouting-report-nfl-draft-profile-southern-mississippi

  • I'm just saying you probably shouldn't cite Coleman's ability to fight physical corners, Cal. Because we have little evidence of that and insofar as we do, they're sissy Big 12 guys. They have bad corners there.

    And this Treadwell can't stretch the field thing is a narrative evidenced exclusively by his 40 time. It's not true on tape at all. On the field, he burned everyone. A&M has a CB that ran a 4.37 at the combine. Treadwell rocked his world all game.

    @wargograw said:

    I'm just saying you probably shouldn't cite Coleman's ability to fight physical corners, Cal. Because we have little evidence of that and insofar as we do, they're sissy Big 12 guys. They have bad corners there.

    I heard from a source (Eric Striker) that the SEC isn't shit.

  • @calfoxwc said:

    Just so we don't have to repeat this many times... the Browns drafted the most EXPLOSIVE

    WR on the entire draft board. Explosive off the los, a true burner, and a heck of

    a football player.

    Even Doctson, who is taller, has questions on his getting off the los vs phsycial

    cb's in the NFL.

    That has been the trouble with Browns' wr's in the past - not explosive off the los, out of

    their cuts. Can't get open.

    No more.

    by far the most explosive off the los wr is Coleman. The fastest of the elite class

    of wr's, is obviously Coleman. That includes Michael Thomas, who isn't explosive

    off the los, but ran a 4.41 during his pro day.

    Antonio Brown - 5'10", 188 lbs. Ran a 4.5 forty.

    I've read where Coleman is closer to 5'11"....

    The Browns have drafted their own version of Antonio Brown. Only faster,

    and more explosive.

    I MEAN, SERIOUSLY - Check this out:

    Here is a few negatives:

    "Release: Takes time to get to speed off the line, but can accelerate past safeties in coverage if unabated. Will struggle against press, and must work on his hand play on the line."

    "After the catch: Can be elusive, but lacks elite acceleration after the catch. "

    that isn't Coleman. That is Antonio Brown.

    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/1272852

    The Browns drafted a player with a higher

    upside than Antonio Brown, speedwise/explosivewise.

    A really smart pick - even brilliant.. I won't be surprised if they pick a taller wr later as a major red zone

    target... but red zone targets don't stretch the field and give defenses serious fits

    until ...the red zone.

    Check this out:

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2016/insider/story/_/id/15211227/nfl-draft-2016-prospect-comparisons-current-players-antonio-brown-corey-coleman

    Don't get crazy now, I think the trade downs are genius and I like Coleman but the Antonio brown comparisons are a little nutty. Brown is as good as he is because he won't be outworked. Brown didn't have a tremendous combine.

    @vagitron said:

    Don't get crazy now, I think the trade downs are genius and I like Coleman but the Antonio brown comparisons are a little nutty. Brown is as good as he is because he won't be outworked. Brown didn't have a tremendous combine.

    Ha. I already posted where he is officially compared to Antonio Brown. The comparison stands - of course Brown

    worked hard in the NFL. Corey Coleman isn't there yet, how can he match that? Coleman won the Bietnikoff Award.

    I don't think you win that by not working hard.

    What if I said Corey Coleman has SUPERSTAR POTENTIAL at the NFL level?

    Well, it's already been said by someone else:

    http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/baylorbears/2016/04/25/baylor-draft-series-wr-corey-coleman-superstar-potential?f=r

  • I think you don't judge the player in a vacuum, but in light of how our overall picks complement one another towards overall team needs. Jury far from in yet.

  • I don't see him as a "#1 WR", but I DO see him as a weapon, and before him, we basically didn't have any at the WR position. Like, at all. In fact, our entire TEAM is somewhat void of weapons, but an argument can be made for Duke Johnson and Gary Barnidge...both players I like immensely. In fact, I think Hue Jackson is the perfect coach to get the most out of Duke and Gary, as well as Coleman.

    I have to be honest, I wanted Treadwell with our pick. I wanted a red zone weapon, someone that would help us score points when we finally got close to pay dirt. We were awful in the red zone last year (don't remember our rank, but it HAD to be near the bottom), and drafting Coleman doesn't really help us TOO much in the red zone (in my opinion), but he does provide us with explosiveness...something we didn't have much of.

    I don't care WHAT offense Coleman played in, 20 TD's in one year is just Retarded. And the thing I love is watching him catch the short pass, and turn it into a LONG gain! THAT'S what we need, and that's what he brings. The ability to take the ordinary, and make it extraordinary. We had a severe lack of people that can do that. And who knows? Maybe I'm dead wrong about the red zone thing. Perhaps his 40 inch vertical (40 damn inches!) will enable him to go up and grab some TD's! Coleman is certainly not a weak guy...he looks completely JACKED.

    Speaking of "Jacked"...any way we can take Myles Jack with our next pick? I know we need starters NOW, and the Browns are probably the LAST team that can take a risk, but damn...

    A potential playmaker on both defense AND offense with the first two picks? Oh, AND having two first round and two second rounders next year? Man...

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I don't see him as a "#1 WR", but I DO see him as a weapon...be I'm dead wrong about the red zone thing. Perhaps his 40 inch vertical (40 damn inches!) will enable him to go up and grab some TD's! Coleman is certainly not a weak guy...he looks completely JACKED.

    Good post...

    Coleman's promise of taking the top off a D is something Hue prizes. And more than speed, he has enough of a route tree to be able to do that... arriving with roughly the same tree as it took Benji seasons to develop.

    And I do see the difference between Coleman and Benji... understand they are not the same player. They are, however, filling the same role... perhaps roles, if CC returns punts.

  • Well, the "#1" wr on most pundit's lists... was Treadwell. He was drafted...fourth?

    The fourth wr drafted. Think about that. The top listed Treadwell wasn't drafted

    until pick 23. Surely there is a reason for that.

    Terry Pluto said Treadwell was his favorite wr in the draft. Mine was actually

    Mike Thomas up on high, and Mike Thomas, not even on the list, from S. Miss

    I posted about above.

    Pluto also said this:

    "I asked Hue Jackson what he liked the most about Coleman"

    "Touchdowns," said the Browns new coach.

    In his article, he says "Football Outsiders (an analytics-based web site) gave Coleman

    its highest "Playmaker Score" for 2016. "Because Baylor passed the ball only

    389 times, Coleman scored a touchdown on 5.1 (percent) of Baylor's passes," wrote

    Nathan Forster, "That's an incredibile ratio which has been topped by only four

    elite college players: Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant and Demarylus Thomas..."

    Look, all this as Baylor had four qb's injured, their offense was in a mess.

    I didn't realize it, but the Browns drafted the best wr in this year's draft class.

  • Well, the "#1" wr on most pundit's lists... was Treadwell. He was drafted...fourth?

    The fourth wr drafted. Think about that. The top listed Treadwell wasn't drafted

    until pick 23. Surely there is a reason for that.

    Terry Pluto said Treadwell was his favorite wr in the draft. Mine was actually

    Mike Thomas up on high, and Mike Thomas, not even on the list, from S. Miss

    I posted about above.

    Pluto also said this:

    "I asked Hue Jackson what he liked the most about Coleman"

    "Touchdowns," said the Browns new coach.

    In his article, he says "Football Outsiders (an analytics-based web site) gave Coleman

    its highest "Playmaker Score" for 2016. "Because Baylor passed the ball only

    389 times, Coleman scored a touchdown on 5.1 (percent) of Baylor's passes," wrote

    Nathan Forster, "That's an incredibile ratio which has been topped by only four

    elite college players: Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant and Demarylus Thomas..."

    Look, all this as Baylor had four qb's injured, their offense was in a mess.

    I didn't realize it, but the Browns drafted the best wr in this year's draft class.

    @calfoxwc said:

    In his article, he says "Football Outsiders (an analytics-based web site) gave Coleman

    its highest "Playmaker Score" for 2016. "Because Baylor passed the ball only

    389 times, Coleman scored a touchdown on 5.1 (percent) of Baylor's passes," wrote

    Nathan Forster, "That's an incredibile ratio which has been topped by only four

    elite college players: Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant and Demarylus Thomas..."

    Interesting

    Touchdowns = On base percentage

    moneyball

  • @calfoxwc said:

    In his article, he says "Football Outsiders (an analytics-based web site) gave Coleman

    its highest "Playmaker Score" for 2016. "Because Baylor passed the ball only

    389 times, Coleman scored a touchdown on 5.1 (percent) of Baylor's passes," wrote

    Nathan Forster, "That's an incredibile ratio which has been topped by only four

    elite college players: Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant and Demarylus Thomas..."

    Interesting

    Touchdowns = On base percentage

    moneyball

    @bbedward said:

    Interesting

    Touchdowns = On base percentage

    moneyball

    Got nothing on "yards per route"... is that even a thing?

    From PFF's Round One Grades...

    15. Cleveland Browns: Corey Coleman | Grade: A

    (Pick acquired in trade with Tennessee Titans)

    Our top receiver is off the board as Corey Coleman goes to Cleveland. He’s dynamic both before and after the catch, capable of separating as well as any receiver in the draft and then taking it to the house after he catches it. Coleman posted a ridiculous 4.88 yards per route (best in the nation) before a poor quarterback situation hurt his production. His 10 drops are cause for some concern, but not nearly enough to offset what he brings to the table as both a short and deep threat. Even with his limited experience running a number of routes in Baylor’s offense, Coleman has all of the skills to separate on any type of route once he transitions to the NFL.

    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2016/04/28/draft-2016-nfl-draft-pick-by-pick-grades-and-analysis-of-round-1-2/

  • Trade with Dallas and get Vince Mayle .....6.2" people moaning Coleman is not tall enough then get a WR with height ....maybe we can trade a 4th for him

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I don't see him as a "#1 WR", but I DO see him as a weapon...be I'm dead wrong about the red zone thing. Perhaps his 40 inch vertical (40 damn inches!) will enable him to go up and grab some TD's! Coleman is certainly not a weak guy...he looks completely JACKED.

    Good post...

    Coleman's promise of taking the top off a D is something Hue prizes. And more than speed, he has enough of a route tree to be able to do that... arriving with roughly the same tree as it took Benji seasons to develop.

    And I do see the difference between Coleman and Benji... understand they are not the same player. They are, however, filling the same role... perhaps roles, if CC returns punts.

    @tour2ma said:

    Good post...

    Coleman's promise of taking the top off a D is something Hue prizes. And more than speed, he has enough of a route tree to be able to do that... arriving with roughly the same tree as it took Benji seasons to develop.

    And I do see the difference between Coleman and Benji... understand they are not the same player. They are, however, filling the same role... perhaps roles, if CC returns punts.

    Repost & highlight :

    Strengths

    Instant blur off the snap. Feet turn over at a blinding pace and he devours cushion before cornerbacks know what hit them. Able to get over the top of every corner he faced and demands safety help over the top. Works back to the ball. Explosive leaper with ability to climb ladder and win the 50/50 ball and body control to secure the acrobatic catch. Touchdown maker finishing 2015 with 20 receiving touchdowns. Smooth, speedy stems to the post will be difficult to mirror and match for NFL cornerbacks. Easy route adjustments in space. Defenders who try to jam and miss pay the iron price (touchdowns). Able to make tacklers miss in tight spaces. Has experience as ball carrier and punt returner. Heavily targeted (39 percent) in Baylor's high­-flying attack.

    Weaknesses

    Does his best work from outside the numbers, but lacks desired NFL size to play outside. Allows cornerbacks to leverage him against the sideline on deep throws. Takes longer than expected to gear down for comeback routes after hitting top speed. Ran limited number of simple routes. Hands are a concern. Fails to catch away from his body. Dropped 10 passes for a drop rate of 11.9 percent. Loses focus and concentration on routes that work towards the middle of the field or when he senses defenders are closing in. Had sports hernia surgery that forced

  • For those suggesting he's not a #1 receiver - based on what? Height? Weight? And how do you define a #1 receiver?

  • For those suggesting he's not a #1 receiver - based on what? Height? Weight? And how do you define a #1 receiver?

    @gftchris said:

    For those suggesting he's not a #1 receiver - based on what? Height? Weight? And how do you define a #1 receiver?

    He is not over 6 feet tall ....automatically means he sucks .....

    How many of these would you have taken in their prime...they all have one thing in common

    http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015/09/07/top-6-best-nfl-wrs-5-foot-10-and-under/

  • the more time i have to think about it the more i'm on board with this pick. WR was a huge need, and the Browns got a solid one. Can't wait to see how Coleman does in the NFL

  • the more time i have to think about it the more i'm on board with this pick. WR was a huge need, and the Browns got a solid one. Can't wait to see how Coleman does in the NFL

    @browns1216 said:

    the more time i have to think about it the more i'm on board with this pick. WR was a huge need, and the Browns got a solid one. Can't wait to see how Coleman does in the NFL

    Yeah, WR was a big need without a doubt.

    My only concern is our 1st Round Draft record of picking busts . . .

    Well, we got 12 more picks coming, let's see what they do.

  • Love reading the Boards complaints. My opinion, which means jack squat. I think this guy is a terrific talent. Most wr's are not fully developed for 2-3 years anyway, So first, you cant teach speed the speed this kid has. Second, he is bulit to take some hits, not catch it and fall to the ground. Some people say he replaces Benji, I disagree. I think we upgraded from him. Benji was built like a skinny rail, CC is built like a beast. Also, People act as if he were 1inch taller, it would make a diffrence, look and see how many wr's are in the top 15 in the league who are 5' 11". Good thing they wear cleats and that should make him almost 6' 1". He may be great or suck. We didnt reach for him like we usually do, we got more valuable picks for this and next year.

  • For those suggesting he's not a #1 receiver - based on what? Height? Weight? And how do you define a #1 receiver?

    @gftchris said:

    For those suggesting he's not a #1 receiver - based on what? Height? Weight? And how do you define a #1 receiver?

    Complete route tree. Polished WR able to step into feature role Game 1 irregardless of pro system. They don't grow on trees, but you can grow them.

    Just not what I see now. Doesn't mean he's not a seedling...

    @cambridgeho said:

    1. Some people say he replaces Benji, I disagree.
    2. I think we upgraded from him.

    1. I think fills Benji's role.

    2. Rookie to rookie comparison? No doubt, an upgrade. But seasoned Benji to rookie CC? A continuation with added upside.