Skip to content

Satellite Camps

College Football Forum
51 7 2.6k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Nothing I said is wrong. Teams from the SEC don't want to come and play in cold weather.....when is the last freaking time you saw that happen?

    And do you deny that the south has good spring weather vs. the north?

    As far as the football talent....I think it is debateable.

    Most of what you said was wrong.

    You weren't talking about playing games, you were talking about satellite camps.

    - Satellite camps are held in the Spring, and the North has nice weather in the Spring.

    - Teams from down South are participating in satellite camps up North

    Yes, some SEC teams never play above the Mason Dixon. Yes, Bowl Games are rarely in cold weather areas. But, neither of these are satellite camps, which is what you were talking about.

    On the talent aspect, you've already gone from "probably not the case" to "debatable". I'll jump in before you back up any more. Look up any recruiting ranking list or map of the recruits. There is, on average, better/more talent down South. We've gone down this path before though, and I'm sure you'll stick with anecdotal evidence over actual data (ex: Recruiting rankings being an indicator of success, university academic rankings).

    There are a handful of reasons for this. A lot of people live down South, they have more "football weather" per year than the North, football is more of the primary sport there (so more potential athletes), etc.

    @mld-woody said:

    Most of what you said was wrong.

    Nothing I said was wrong.

    You weren't talking about playing games, you were talking about satellite camps.

    I was talking about games...and satellite camps. Both. Sorry you couldn't keep up.

    - Satellite camps are held in the Spring, and the North has nice weather in the Spring.

    - Teams from down South are participating in satellite camps up North

    Where was that ever said? Nowhere....and if it is true....prove it.

    Yes, some SEC teams never play above the Mason Dixon. Yes, Bowl Games are rarely in cold weather areas. But, neither of these are satellite camps, which is what you were talking about.

    You clearly have no clue what I was talking about, because you are wrong about what I was talking about.

    On the talent aspect, you've already gone from "probably not the case" to "debatable". I'll jump in before you back up any more. Look up any recruiting ranking list or map of the recruits. There is, on average, better/more talent down South. We've gone down this path before though, and I'm sure you'll stick with anecdotal evidence over actual data (ex: Recruiting rankings being an indicator of success, university academic rankings).

    There are a handful of reasons for this. A lot of people live down South, they have more "football weather" per year than the North, football is more of the primary sport there (so more potential athletes), etc.

    Ohio has as much football talent as any state. Another factor is HGH.....the South uses it far more than any other area. It only appears that the talent is better.

  • Yes, they have been going on before. Oklahoma State has always had them in Tyler, Texas, I believe. And you know what, OSU had some of the shadiest recruiting in this region and were doing it as a smaller program. So I think you will see the two go hand in had. I didn't say no one cheated prior to satellite camps (come on, you know me), so questions like "was a satellite camp needed to buy Cam Newton?" are kind of irrelevant.

    I don't think it'll be a drop in the bucket, as you say. I think they'll be pretty rampant, as they are in basketball. And that in itself is "a pretty decent argument," if that's something you care about.

    Saban's always complained about stuff in his press conferences. That's more an indication that he's an important person than that he's worried about anything. He went off on reporters for not showing total respect to College of Charleston too. I'm sure he was really worried about that game, right?

    I'm gonna ignore the semantics about FSU's class on ESPN last year. Doesn't take away the overall point (and FSU pays as much as anyone, FTR).

    Whatever the reasons for the south's having better players, they have the better players. That was my only point.

    @wargograw said:

    Yes, they have been going on before. Oklahoma State has always had them in Tyler, Texas, I believe. And you know what, OSU had some of the shadiest recruiting in this region and were doing it as a smaller program. So I think you will see the two go hand in had. I didn't say no one cheated prior to satellite camps (come on, you know me), so questions like "was a satellite camp needed to buy Cam Newton?" are kind of irrelevant.

    I don't think it'll be a drop in the bucket, as you say. I think they'll be pretty rampant, as they are in basketball. And that in itself is "a pretty decent argument," if that's something you care about.

    Saban's always complained about stuff in his press conferences. That's more an indication that he's an important person than that he's worried about anything. He went off on reporters for not showing total respect to College of Charleston too. I'm sure he was really worried about that game, right?

    I'm gonna ignore the semantics about FSU's class on ESPN last year. Doesn't take away the overall point (and FSU pays as much as anyone, FTR).

    Whatever the reasons for the south's having better players, they have the better players. That was my only point.

    As I understand it, the satellite camps help a lot more players that are going to be playing at like the MAC or Sunbelt or even D-1AA schools than the guys headed for P5 conferences. The outcry about the satellite camp ban was from these level of schools, not the Big Boys (except Saban of course)

  • They have more players, therefore more higher rated players.

    Saban has also complained about up tempo offenses... Clearly he wasn't worried about some FCS school, but that doesn't mean we can ignore everything he complains about. He's clearly worried, he wants to keep these schools out of his region.

  • @wargograw said:

    Yes, they have been going on before. Oklahoma State has always had them in Tyler, Texas, I believe. And you know what, OSU had some of the shadiest recruiting in this region and were doing it as a smaller program. So I think you will see the two go hand in had. I didn't say no one cheated prior to satellite camps (come on, you know me), so questions like "was a satellite camp needed to buy Cam Newton?" are kind of irrelevant.

    I don't think it'll be a drop in the bucket, as you say. I think they'll be pretty rampant, as they are in basketball. And that in itself is "a pretty decent argument," if that's something you care about.

    Saban's always complained about stuff in his press conferences. That's more an indication that he's an important person than that he's worried about anything. He went off on reporters for not showing total respect to College of Charleston too. I'm sure he was really worried about that game, right?

    I'm gonna ignore the semantics about FSU's class on ESPN last year. Doesn't take away the overall point (and FSU pays as much as anyone, FTR).

    Whatever the reasons for the south's having better players, they have the better players. That was my only point.

    As I understand it, the satellite camps help a lot more players that are going to be playing at like the MAC or Sunbelt or even D-1AA schools than the guys headed for P5 conferences. The outcry about the satellite camp ban was from these level of schools, not the Big Boys (except Saban of course)

    @the-gipper said:

    As I understand it, the satellite camps help a lot more players that are going to be playing at like the MAC or Sunbelt or even D-1AA schools than the guys headed for P5 conferences. The outcry about the satellite camp ban was from these level of schools, not the Big Boys (except Saban of course)

    The only groups that came out against these camps were SEC and ACC coaches.

    You're right though, the smaller schools get a huge benefit from these camps. Every group involved does for the most part, but those smaller schools do especially.

  • @wargograw said:

    I just love the implicit concession by the yankees that the best college football talent is down south. Since our teams are filled with talent almost exclusively from here and most of us have little desire to hold satellite camps north of the M-D (we will just to make those teams have to fight in another "theatre," if you will), what does that say about who has the best teams?

    While I'm never a fan of hypocrisy, I'm a fan of zealously fighting for your employer. So if this is Saban's angle, it's fine with me.

    No, it has nothing to do with whether or not the best football talent is down south. That is probably not the case. What the south does have is good weather in the spring compared to up north....and these camps were designed as a bit of a spring break. Now, maybe as an aside there could be some recruiting assistance.

    The reason that southern teams don't want to hold a satellite camp in the north is because they are big pussies that can't stand a little cold weather.

    @the-gipper said:

    The reason that southern teams don't want to hold a satellite camp in the north is because they are big pussies that can't stand a little cold weather.

    That sounds like you were very clearly talking about satellite camps...

  • Ohio does have a lot of talent, but it is only one state. Not a region.

    Alabama is sending some staffers to a camp in Detroit, Fyi.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The reason that southern teams don't want to hold a satellite camp in the north is because they are big pussies that can't stand a little cold weather.

    That sounds like you were very clearly talking about satellite camps...

    @mld-woody said:

    That sounds like you were very clearly talking about satellite camps...

    I was talking about everything.

  • Ohio does have a lot of talent, but it is only one state. Not a region.

    Alabama is sending some staffers to a camp in Detroit, Fyi.

    @mld-woody said:

    Ohio does have a lot of talent, but it is only one state. Not a region.

    Alabama is sending some staffers to a camp in Detroit, Fyi.

    Ohio, Penn. NJ combined has as much talent as any three states of any region.

  • @mld-woody said:

    That sounds like you were very clearly talking about satellite camps...

    I was talking about everything.

    @the-gipper said:

    I was talking about everything.

    Well then that is true in some cases, and not in others

  • They have more players, therefore more higher rated players.

    Saban has also complained about up tempo offenses... Clearly he wasn't worried about some FCS school, but that doesn't mean we can ignore everything he complains about. He's clearly worried, he wants to keep these schools out of his region.

    @mld-woody said:

    They have more players, therefore more higher rated players.

    Saban has also complained about up tempo offenses... Clearly he wasn't worried about some FCS school, but that doesn't mean we can ignore everything he complains about. He's clearly worried, he wants to keep these schools out of his region.

    The complaints about up-tempo offenses were legitimate too. They've ruined the game to a degree. Fortunately a few dominant defenses still exist to stymie their impact.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Ohio does have a lot of talent, but it is only one state. Not a region.

    Alabama is sending some staffers to a camp in Detroit, Fyi.

    Ohio, Penn. NJ combined has as much talent as any three states of any region.

    @the-gipper said:

    Ohio, Penn. NJ combined has as much talent as any three states of any region.

    Florida, Texas, California overall.

    Louisiana, South Carolina, Georgia if you're going per capita.

    This was a borderline Retarded statement.

  • @mld-woody said:

    They have more players, therefore more higher rated players.

    Saban has also complained about up tempo offenses... Clearly he wasn't worried about some FCS school, but that doesn't mean we can ignore everything he complains about. He's clearly worried, he wants to keep these schools out of his region.

    The complaints about up-tempo offenses were legitimate too. They've ruined the game to a degree. Fortunately a few dominant defenses still exist to stymie their impact.

    @wargograw said:

    The complaints about up-tempo offenses were legitimate too. They've ruined the game to a degree. Fortunately a few dominant defenses still exist to stymie their impact.

    It is an evolution of the game. People probably complained about the forward pass too. Sabans complaint is rooted in helping his team out on the field. Nothing else. Just like his satellite camp complain is all about keeping a recruiting advantage.

  • Just because it's an evolution of the game doesn't make it not potentially harmful to the players. It is. The man had a point. And when he went on that rant the widespread belief was that he was saying it as a result of his loss at the hands of Sumlin and Johnny Football. But I'm not as sensitive as some folks.

    I remember when Malzahn was going to be the latest and greatest dude to give Saban nightmares. Cowherd went on some rant about how Malzahn was taking over. Then the other day he did his Harbaugh was taking over bit. Until someone actually does it, it doesn't matter. Urban Meyer's the only one with a legitimate claim to any haunting of Nick Saban at the moment, and even then it's only slight.

    Let your play do the talking.

  • Or just complain about the play you don't like and get it banned...

  • Fkg Yankee's.

  • Or just complain about the play you don't like and get it banned...

    @mld-woody said:

    Or just complain about the play you don't like and get it banned...

    It hasn't been banned. He seems to be doing ok.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Ohio, Penn. NJ combined has as much talent as any three states of any region.

    Florida, Texas, California overall.

    Louisiana, South Carolina, Georgia if you're going per capita.

    This was a borderline Retarded statement.

    @wargograw said:

    Florida, Texas, California overall.

    Louisiana, South Carolina, Georgia if you're going per capita.

    This was a borderline Retard statement.

    Florida, Texas and California are from 3 different regions. You must be Retarded geographically.

  • Ok, Texas, Louisiana, and any of the states around them have more talent both total and per capita than the 3 you listed. Pretty sure of that.

    However, even if that weren't true, what you said does nothing to help make your point that there is just as much talent up north.

  • Ok, Texas, Louisiana, and any of the states around them have more talent both total and per capita than the 3 you listed. Pretty sure of that.

    However, even if that weren't true, what you said does nothing to help make your point that there is just as much talent up north.

    @wargograw said:

    Ok, Texas, Louisiana, and any of the states around them have more talent both total and per capita than the 3 you listed. Pretty sure of that.

    However, even if that weren't true, what you said does nothing to help make your point that there is just as much talent up north.

    Per capita? I would say no. Not over Ohio and Pa....which have as much or more talent per capita than any state....including any SEC state.

    Do other northern states match up as well. No, I suppose NH, Vermont and Maine don't.

  • Depends on how you define talent. Louisiana has the most NFL players per capita most years.

    In the last draft:

    Texas-32 (population 27.47 million)

    Louisiana-5 (4.67)

    Arkansas-4 (2.98)

    41 total (35.12 million)

    Ohio-14 (11.61)

    Pennsylvania-9 (12.8)

    New Jersey-7 (8.9)

    30 total (33.31 million)

    I don't feel like doing any more research on this. So I'll be interested to see what route you take to prove your point.

    Then, if you do miraculously figure out how to argue that those three states have more talent than the three I mentioned, pick another state and add Florida. Then pick another and add Georgia. Then pick another and add South Carolina. Happy spinning!