Skip to content

The 2016 "Sunday Ticket" Deal Thread

The Browns Board
61 21 2.7k
  • Wow... no go on ho's chat route... dude, fed me an 800 number...

    Called it and got a deliteful rep in Georgia... had to "ask supervisor"... supervisor said, "nothing could be done about the price."

    Well... do have a new sports bar in town...

    I did mention to both chat and rep that a friend had gotten a $100 deal, too...

    Pending more replies here, I'll call to cancel in 2 weeks... may drop DTV, too as local cable package will save me ~$25 per month...

  • College students can get sunday ticket again this year for $100- http://theslanted.com/2016/07/24129/directv-nfl-sunday-ticket-2016-opens-to-college-students/

    The trick is they really only see if you have a valid .edu email address which is nice for us higher education staff folks!

    @jrb12711 said:

    College students can get sunday ticket again this year for $100- http://theslanted.com/2016/07/24129/directv-nfl-sunday-ticket-2016-opens-to-college-students/

    The trick is they really only see if you have a valid .edu email address which is nice for us higher education staff folks!

    Ah... so ho, are you a student?

  • Haven't tried yet Tour. But now that AT&T owns them maybe there's been a change in philosophy. FWIW, the second I heard AT&T was buying out Direct- I sold my Direct stock. They've ruined a bunch of companies after they've taken over.

    I've heard regarding getting a discount- if at first you don't succeed- try again with another Rep.

    It's honked me off for years that D* has offered it for free to new subscribers as a loss leader to get people to sign up. 🙁

    @hoorta said:

    Haven't tried yet Tour. But now that AT&T owns them maybe there's been a change in philosophy. FWIW, the second I heard AT&T was buying out Direct- I sold my Direct stock. They've ruined a bunch of companies after they've taken over.

    I've heard regarding getting a discount- if at first you don't succeed- try again with another Rep.

    Heard the same, but calls are logged so...

    DTV was a good stock. Owned it for a while coming out of the great recession... Phone-wise Verizon has been good to me.

  • I'm just going to the browns backers clubs or ill go to stream2me or something like that and stream it. Sling TV might have options, it's like $20/month and kills cable. Plus if you get 3 months ahead you get a free Roku 2. F#$% cable prices.

  • It's very, very easy to find high quality options online if you know where to look.

    Nowhere that gives your computer AIDS, either.

    I stopped paying for DTV a few years ago. Haven't missed a Browns game since. Even cast it to my TV with very little to no noticeable loss in quality.

  • I'm not a student. I called a month ago and they said no deal, and called this morning just to see and somehow got it man.

  • It's very, very easy to find high quality options online if you know where to look.

    Nowhere that gives your computer AIDS, either.

    I stopped paying for DTV a few years ago. Haven't missed a Browns game since. Even cast it to my TV with very little to no noticeable loss in quality.

    Just checked and there is a Pub 5 minutes from me with plenty of screens.... enough to show every game. Been a while since I did the Sports bar thing.. and it's not "free" when you clear the tab, but still a cheaper alternative.

    Sunday Ticket is now hanging by a thread...

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It's very, very easy to find high quality options online if you know where to look.

    Nowhere that gives your computer AIDS, either.

    I stopped paying for DTV a few years ago. Haven't missed a Browns game since. Even cast it to my TV with very little to no noticeable loss in quality.

    ... and that thread is now being assaulted... lol... you tech savvy youngin', you...

    May I assume you are willing to share?

  • I'm not a student. I called a month ago and they said no deal, and called this morning just to see and somehow got it man.

    @cambridgeho said:

    I'm not a student. I called a month ago and they said no deal, and called this morning just to see and somehow got it man.

    Thanks...

  • Another way to do it is cancel yours and add another account in your wife's name and she would get the new account which comes with free Sunday ticket.

  • Just crazy I had that online chat with them at 0800 this morning and they had a deal.

  • Maybe it's the DTV lottery...

    Call in and the wheel spin?

  • @hoorta said:

    Haven't tried yet Tour. But now that AT&T owns them maybe there's been a change in philosophy. FWIW, the second I heard AT&T was buying out Direct- I sold my Direct stock. They've ruined a bunch of companies after they've taken over.

    I've heard regarding getting a discount- if at first you don't succeed- try again with another Rep.

    Heard the same, but calls are logged so...

    DTV was a good stock. Owned it for a while coming out of the great recession... Phone-wise Verizon has been good to me.

    @tour2ma said:

    Heard the same, but calls are logged so...

    DTV was a good stock. Owned it for a while coming out of the great recession... Phone-wise Verizon has been good to me.

    Just wondering how firm are you in your convo? Honestly they are used to folks calling in and giving the general gimme a discount or ill bail talk. If they give you the same response i usually say something like "well im sorry that is the case, as such please transfer me to someone to cancel my service"

    Two things happen (usually the 1st). You either get the cancel rep who then says please let us keep you, we can do the discount or they truly stand firm. If they stand firm, just make a lousy excuse and say you will call back to cancel. Usually though if you go to that level they take it seriously.

  • Just checked and there is a Pub 5 minutes from me with plenty of screens.... enough to show every game. Been a while since I did the Sports bar thing.. and it's not "free" when you clear the tab, but still a cheaper alternative.

    Sunday Ticket is now hanging by a thread...

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It's very, very easy to find high quality options online if you know where to look.

    Nowhere that gives your computer AIDS, either.

    I stopped paying for DTV a few years ago. Haven't missed a Browns game since. Even cast it to my TV with very little to no noticeable loss in quality.

    ... and that thread is now being assaulted... lol... you tech savvy youngin', you...

    May I assume you are willing to share?

    @tour2ma said:

    Just checked and there is a Pub 5 minutes from me with plenty of screens.... enough to show every game. Been a while since I did the Sports bar thing.. and it's not "free" when you clear the tab, but still a cheaper alternative.

    Sunday Ticket is now hanging by a thread...

    ... and that thread is now being assaulted... lol... you tech savvy youngin', you...

    May I assume you are willing to share?

    Problem I have with the sports bar scene Tour is- unless it's a Browns Backers bar- the sound is almost always turned off. I absolutely can't stand that.

    Yeah- Direct is getting mighty pricey. My bill is in the $110 a month range, and that's no HBO or Showtime. Got the Genie DVR and whole house. (1 extra tv in the bedroom) My only "luxury" is the $15 a month sports pack so I get 100% of the Cavs games. Adding Sunday Ticket pushes the bill over $160 and I'm not exactly a millionaire. You forgot to mention if you want the Super Fan package- that costs you $100 bucks extra. Regarding the bar tab SF +ST = $360\16= $22 bucks. Don't know about you- but I sure can blow that much- or more- during a game at Chappy's Tap room http://www.chappystaproom.com/ With 3 imported or craft domestic beers and a sandwich and fries.

    Regarding the cost of Sunday ticket, doing some research and pulling out the calculator. Directv is paying the NFL $1.5 billion per year for the exclusive rights. (you'd think the NFL could make more money with Dish and Time Warner\ Comcast in the picture) That means they would have to sell 5.7 million subscriptions @ $260 to break even. D* has 20 million subscribers- meaning 20% plus of those folks have to sign up.

  • Yeah, h... I hear you. I'm on the fence...

    In the 90's I used to do the Sports bar thing at the but a Browns majority of attendees gave us the big screen and sound every week. Made some friends there including Ernie, who had us all to his house for the last game of '95. The group did not survive the lay

    Aside: It was Ernie who had an original Paul Brown game plan book in his possession, a hardbound journal with tendency notes from film study, match up notes and more. We all handled it like it was an original, Gutenberg Bible.

    Later I flew solo at the Time Out #2 in Pasadena, TX. Close captioning sufficed... especially since it's not like we garner the best broadcast duos in the biz... but I missed a group setting. If I want to drive an hour each way there's a six-person, BrownsBacker branch registered in a small town south of me.

    With taxes and fees my DTV is a tad over $130/mo... but that includes HBO. Of that what cheeses me the most? I have a DVR/receiver and they charge $10/mo for the Receiver and $10/mo for the DVR... two charges for one box. And only one TV is in the house. I do have HBO.

    Sunday Ticket is great. As much as I love Browns games, I also love being able to choose my late game, which the Cowboys tend to dominate in my area. (Have I mentioned recently that I hate the Cowboys?) Having alternatives really paid off last year when they were bad. Watched a number of Raider games.

    Comradeship? These days that's via the Tavern. I wonder if the Bar has Wifi?

  • Spend the $$ and get the ticket. I got pissed and switched to dish. Bad misstake man now they lost their contract with nfl network! I will go to my kids house and watch the games.

  • For $50 you can have an open invitation to my house (good Sunday's only)... free water...

  • Yeah, h... I hear you. I'm on the fence...

    In the 90's I used to do the Sports bar thing at the but a Browns majority of attendees gave us the big screen and sound every week. Made some friends there including Ernie, who had us all to his house for the last game of '95. The group did not survive the lay

    Aside: It was Ernie who had an original Paul Brown game plan book in his possession, a hardbound journal with tendency notes from film study, match up notes and more. We all handled it like it was an original, Gutenberg Bible.

    Later I flew solo at the Time Out #2 in Pasadena, TX. Close captioning sufficed... especially since it's not like we garner the best broadcast duos in the biz... but I missed a group setting. If I want to drive an hour each way there's a six-person, BrownsBacker branch registered in a small town south of me.

    With taxes and fees my DTV is a tad over $130/mo... but that includes HBO. Of that what cheeses me the most? I have a DVR/receiver and they charge $10/mo for the Receiver and $10/mo for the DVR... two charges for one box. And only one TV is in the house. I do have HBO.

    Sunday Ticket is great. As much as I love Browns games, I also love being able to choose my late game, which the Cowboys tend to dominate in my area. (Have I mentioned recently that I hate the Cowboys?) Having alternatives really paid off last year when they were bad. Watched a number of Raider games.

    Comradeship? These days that's via the Tavern. I wonder if the Bar has Wifi?

    @tour2ma said:

    Close captioning sufficed...

    ... but Oh for the individual table speakers at Damon's...

    Used to love that place... screens big and bigger... better than decent food and beer selection... and satellite Trivia to boot...

  • Just checked and there is a Pub 5 minutes from me with plenty of screens.... enough to show every game. Been a while since I did the Sports bar thing.. and it's not "free" when you clear the tab, but still a cheaper alternative.

    Sunday Ticket is now hanging by a thread...

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    It's very, very easy to find high quality options online if you know where to look.

    Nowhere that gives your computer AIDS, either.

    I stopped paying for DTV a few years ago. Haven't missed a Browns game since. Even cast it to my TV with very little to no noticeable loss in quality.

    ... and that thread is now being assaulted... lol... you tech savvy youngin', you...

    May I assume you are willing to share?

    @tour2ma said:

    Just checked and there is a Pub 5 minutes from me with plenty of screens.... enough to show every game. Been a while since I did the Sports bar thing.. and it's not "free" when you clear the tab, but still a cheaper alternative.

    Sunday Ticket is now hanging by a thread...

    ... and that thread is now being assaulted... lol... you tech savvy youngin', you...

    May I assume you are willing to share?

    Sure thing. It changes week to week, for obvious reasons, but I'll DM you when the preseason rolls around let you know where I find it.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Just checked and there is a Pub 5 minutes from me with plenty of screens.... enough to show every game. Been a while since I did the Sports bar thing.. and it's not "free" when you clear the tab, but still a cheaper alternative.

    Sunday Ticket is now hanging by a thread...

    ... and that thread is now being assaulted... lol... you tech savvy youngin', you...

    May I assume you are willing to share?

    Sure thing. It changes week to week, for obvious reasons, but I'll DM you when the preseason rolls around let you know where I find it.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Sure thing. It changes week to week, for obvious reasons, but I'll DM you when the preseason rolls around let you know where I find it.

    There's better which TCPO can allude to, but if you type in "reddit nfl streams" it will take you to some okay to above average feeds consistently too.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Sure thing. It changes week to week, for obvious reasons, but I'll DM you when the preseason rolls around let you know where I find it.

    There's better which TCPO can allude to, but if you type in "reddit nfl streams" it will take you to some okay to above average feeds consistently too.

    @jrb12711 said:

    There's better which TCPO can allude to, but if you type in "reddit nfl streams" it will take you to some okay to above average feeds consistently too.

    Hit the nail on the head there.

    r/nflstreams is normally where I begin my research. They do a good job.