Skip to content

Eric Wedge

The Tribe Board
31 11 2.7k
  • Perez hasn't been good this year, but when he's right, he's better than a lefty-lefty matchup. He's a guy with late-inning stuff and Wedge (I think) wants to give him the full 7th inning job, regardless of who's batting.

    It didn't work out but I wouldn't really call it over-managing. Until our starters show some consistency he wants to let the slightly more proven bullpen handle the though stuff.....it would just help if the bullpen started pitching like they deserve it.

  • We've only won when we score a billion runs in a game and our bullpen stinks. Today's game was a farce, that homerun clearly shouldn't have counted. The game the other day when the Yankees got the final strike called on a high and outside pitch was also a joke.

  • Perez hasn't been good this year, but when he's right, he's better than a lefty-lefty matchup. He's a guy with late-inning stuff and Wedge (I think) wants to give him the full 7th inning job, regardless of who's batting.

    It didn't work out but I wouldn't really call it over-managing. Until our starters show some consistency he wants to let the slightly more proven bullpen handle the though stuff.....it would just help if the bullpen started pitching like they deserve it.

    @cimo. said:

    Perez hasn't been good this year, but when he's right, he's better than a lefty-lefty matchup. He's a guy with late-inning stuff and Wedge (I think) wants to give him the full 7th inning job, regardless of who's batting.

    It didn't work out but I wouldn't really call it over-managing. Until our starters show some consistency he wants to let the slightly more proven bullpen handle the though stuff.....it would just help if the bullpen started pitching like they deserve it.

    Pavano had four strikes out today...All left handers. Swisher had three of them. He was spotting his pitches better than any pitcher I've seen this year. Nothing up in the zone. Hitting the corners. Good braking ball. He was tougher on the lefties than he was the right handers. He had given up one extra base hit to right handed Jeter.

    You can't pull a starting pitcher who has only thrown 90 pitches that has been that good and completely dominating....It just makes bad baseball sense. It makes no sense at all.

    The two lefties coming up for the Yankees was the bottom of the order and two guys that had been hitless off of him today.

    The obvious thing to do is allow him to start the inning and throw to at least one one. If he gives up a hit or walk to cano then you go get Perez to not only match up lefty againt lefty in Matsui, but it'll also help hold Cano closer at first due to Perez being a lefty.

    I swear Wedge can't think ahead.

    I don't care if Perez is the best set up man in baseball. This move by Wedge is defenseless....As well as sensless.

  • @cimo. said:

    Perez hasn't been good this year, but when he's right, he's better than a lefty-lefty matchup. He's a guy with late-inning stuff and Wedge (I think) wants to give him the full 7th inning job, regardless of who's batting.

    It didn't work out but I wouldn't really call it over-managing. Until our starters show some consistency he wants to let the slightly more proven bullpen handle the though stuff.....it would just help if the bullpen started pitching like they deserve it.

    Pavano had four strikes out today...All left handers. Swisher had three of them. He was spotting his pitches better than any pitcher I've seen this year. Nothing up in the zone. Hitting the corners. Good braking ball. He was tougher on the lefties than he was the right handers. He had given up one extra base hit to right handed Jeter.

    You can't pull a starting pitcher who has only thrown 90 pitches that has been that good and completely dominating....It just makes bad baseball sense. It makes no sense at all.

    The two lefties coming up for the Yankees was the bottom of the order and two guys that had been hitless off of him today.

    The obvious thing to do is allow him to start the inning and throw to at least one one. If he gives up a hit or walk to cano then you go get Perez to not only match up lefty againt lefty in Matsui, but it'll also help hold Cano closer at first due to Perez being a lefty.

    I swear Wedge can't think ahead.

    I don't care if Perez is the best set up man in baseball. This move by Wedge is defenseless....As well as sensless.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    I don't care if Perez is the best set up man in baseball. This move by Wedge is defenseless....As well as sensless.

    I honestly think it was perfectly defensible. It was a textbook move and one that Wedge *should* have made if he was going by the book. I was listening to the Yankee feed and Sterling (sign of the cross) mentioned as much.

    I'm all for riding Pavano as hard as possible given his contract but he hasn't pitched seven innings in a game since April 9th of 2007.

    It obviously didn't work out, thanks to Raffy P, but I understand the move. This team has supposedly built a solid bridge to Wood and it's moments like these where you should use it. The fact the bridge broke isn't on Wedge.

    Beanpot

  • i have never had anything against wedge but i am starting to think he is not the manager we need. yesterday he could have put any releivers in to pitch and get some work in and he puts in kokeyashi and chulk? these two guys have been alright this year and have not been teh worst in the pen. he uses kobe for 2 innings in a game that we were going to win anyway, making him unavailable for today. in a close game today, he puts in our two worst releivers thus far this year: perez and lewis. this is absolutely rediculous. he could have put them in yesterday and noboyd would have cared if they gave up 10 runs combined. this loss today was on eric wedge, plain and simple

  • i have never had anything against wedge but i am starting to think he is not the manager we need. yesterday he could have put any releivers in to pitch and get some work in and he puts in kokeyashi and chulk? these two guys have been alright this year and have not been teh worst in the pen. he uses kobe for 2 innings in a game that we were going to win anyway, making him unavailable for today. in a close game today, he puts in our two worst releivers thus far this year: perez and lewis. this is absolutely rediculous. he could have put them in yesterday and noboyd would have cared if they gave up 10 runs combined. this loss today was on eric wedge, plain and simple

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    yesterday he could have put any releivers in to pitch and get some work in and he puts in kokeyashi and chulk? these two guys have been alright this year and have not been teh worst in the pen. he uses kobe for 2 innings in a game that we were going to win anyway, making him unavailable for today. in a close game today, he puts in our two worst releivers thus far this year: perez and lewis. this is absolutely rediculous.

    I follow your point but are you really saying that Kobayashi and Chulk are better than Lewis and Perez? Their career body of work suggests otherwise. I swear, I would have gone apeshit if Wedge had brought in either of those two RHPs over Perez. And I like Lewis more than the other two as well.

    Beanpot

  • The pitch by Lewis to Pasada was inexcuseable today

    Fastball right in the wheel house,really fooled him with that one Jensen

  • i have never had anything against wedge but i am starting to think he is not the manager we need. yesterday he could have put any releivers in to pitch and get some work in and he puts in kokeyashi and chulk? these two guys have been alright this year and have not been teh worst in the pen. he uses kobe for 2 innings in a game that we were going to win anyway, making him unavailable for today. in a close game today, he puts in our two worst releivers thus far this year: perez and lewis. this is absolutely rediculous. he could have put them in yesterday and noboyd would have cared if they gave up 10 runs combined. this loss today was on eric wedge, plain and simple

    @clevelandfanforlife said:

    i have never had anything against wedge but i am starting to think he is not the manager we need. yesterday he could have put any releivers in to pitch and get some work in and he puts in kokeyashi and chulk? these two guys have been alright this year and have not been the worst in the pen.

    This is a great point....Absolutely great point.

  • @oldcrow1945 said:

    I don't care if Perez is the best set up man in baseball. This move by Wedge is defenseless....As well as sensless.

    I honestly think it was perfectly defensible. It was a textbook move and one that Wedge *should* have made if he was going by the book. I was listening to the Yankee feed and Sterling (sign of the cross) mentioned as much.

    I'm all for riding Pavano as hard as possible given his contract but he hasn't pitched seven innings in a game since April 9th of 2007.

    It obviously didn't work out, thanks to Raffy P, but I understand the move. This team has supposedly built a solid bridge to Wood and it's moments like these where you should use it. The fact the bridge broke isn't on Wedge.

    Beanpot

    @beanpot said:

    I honestly think it was perfectly defensible. It was a textbook move and one that Wedge *should* have made if he was going by the book. I was listening to the Yankee feed and Sterling (sign of the cross) mentioned as much.

    I'm all for riding Pavano as hard as possible given his contract but he hasn't pitched seven innings in a game since April 9th of 2007.

    After just 6 innings and 90 pitches? When he dominated lefties all day?

    I love ya Bean but you are I are miles apart on this one.....But that's ok.....My dad and I would always argue about Mike Hargrove too! lol!

    I firmly believe that Eric Wedge just tightened his own noose today.

  • @clevelandfanforlife said:

    yesterday he could have put any releivers in to pitch and get some work in and he puts in kokeyashi and chulk? these two guys have been alright this year and have not been teh worst in the pen. he uses kobe for 2 innings in a game that we were going to win anyway, making him unavailable for today. in a close game today, he puts in our two worst releivers thus far this year: perez and lewis. this is absolutely rediculous.

    I follow your point but are you really saying that Kobayashi and Chulk are better than Lewis and Perez? Their career body of work suggests otherwise. I swear, I would have gone apeshit if Wedge had brought in either of those two RHPs over Perez. And I like Lewis more than the other two as well.

    Beanpot

    @beanpot said:

    I follow your point but are you really saying that Kobayashi and Chulk are better than Lewis and Perez? Their career body of work suggests otherwise. I swear, I would have gone apeshit if Wedge had brought in either of those two RHPs over Perez. And I like Lewis more than the other two as well.

    Beanpot

    i am saying that this year chulk and kobe are better than lewis or perez. the past is the past and we should not think too much of it. i hope that we can right this ship soon.

  • For a long time I've felt like could do a lot worse than Wedge, but enough of the slow starts already.

    If this team digs another fox hole in April like it appears their going to,then we got start talking about sending him down the road.

    Problem is who do you replace him with ? my opinion is Shelton & Willis are a big reason why we struggle,we rarely seem prepared for the starting pitching we face and our staff at times pitches like they've never seen a scouting report on our opponent

    Do we really want another Joel Skinner internship?

    Players need to except their share of the blame as well and while Sat.exhibition was awesome it wasn't reality,Sun was

    and several veteran players basically went through the motions yesterday rather than seize the opportunity to take a series and get this thing on track.

    Shoppachs inability to advance Crowe was one example I for one am done with this experiment,sit down Tim Laker your a backup,we'll call ya in about 30 days when Victor needs a rest.Really wondering why he's out there ? I get the Sunday lineup change ,but again we're diggin a whole here Wedgy,play your best 9 and lets take this series

    Grady look'n at a 2 strike belt high fastball with one out and a man on 3rd,now I love this kid but son you have to be thinking

    RBI that's a pitch you drive I don't care who's coming up behind you

    Then De'Rosa & Martinez had weak at bats with bases loaded,this is the same Yankee bullpen you've bitch slapped all weekend,

    work a count and get pitch to hit.

    Next comes the pitchers,I don't know about anybody else but I'm really tired of the deer in the headlight look of Carmona,Perez, & Lewis

    Carmona and Perez have looked scared shitless against everybody since the Boston playoff and I can't figure out why, they both got wicked stuff,use it and believe in it .

    Did ya see the way Wood took the mound? Christ he looked like Clint Eastwood,Posada wanted no part of his shit,he headed back to the dugout before the ump could call strike three,that's what I call mound presence.

    As far as Bentancourt,he's the best when he's on..but...guess that's goes with role,if I remember Shuey was the same way

    lights out for 10 straight appearances then the wheels would come off.

    What I want to know is Rick Manning just got done saying on tv that Swisher appeared to be waiting on a fastball and then Bentancourt delivers one ,

    now if Manning knows this why doesn't Willis and Martinez?

    Anyway just my .02

  • For a long time I've felt like could do a lot worse than Wedge, but enough of the slow starts already.

    If this team digs another fox hole in April like it appears their going to,then we got start talking about sending him down the road.

    Problem is who do you replace him with ? my opinion is Shelton & Willis are a big reason why we struggle,we rarely seem prepared for the starting pitching we face and our staff at times pitches like they've never seen a scouting report on our opponent

    Do we really want another Joel Skinner internship?

    Players need to except their share of the blame as well and while Sat.exhibition was awesome it wasn't reality,Sun was

    and several veteran players basically went through the motions yesterday rather than seize the opportunity to take a series and get this thing on track.

    Shoppachs inability to advance Crowe was one example I for one am done with this experiment,sit down Tim Laker your a backup,we'll call ya in about 30 days when Victor needs a rest.Really wondering why he's out there ? I get the Sunday lineup change ,but again we're diggin a whole here Wedgy,play your best 9 and lets take this series

    Grady look'n at a 2 strike belt high fastball with one out and a man on 3rd,now I love this kid but son you have to be thinking

    RBI that's a pitch you drive I don't care who's coming up behind you

    Then De'Rosa & Martinez had weak at bats with bases loaded,this is the same Yankee bullpen you've bitch slapped all weekend,

    work a count and get pitch to hit.

    Next comes the pitchers,I don't know about anybody else but I'm really tired of the deer in the headlight look of Carmona,Perez, & Lewis

    Carmona and Perez have looked scared shitless against everybody since the Boston playoff and I can't figure out why, they both got wicked stuff,use it and believe in it .

    Did ya see the way Wood took the mound? Christ he looked like Clint Eastwood,Posada wanted no part of his shit,he headed back to the dugout before the ump could call strike three,that's what I call mound presence.

    As far as Bentancourt,he's the best when he's on..but...guess that's goes with role,if I remember Shuey was the same way

    lights out for 10 straight appearances then the wheels would come off.

    What I want to know is Rick Manning just got done saying on tv that Swisher appeared to be waiting on a fastball and then Bentancourt delivers one ,

    now if Manning knows this why doesn't Willis and Martinez?

    Anyway just my .02

    @brownb499 said:

    Problem is who do you replace him with ? my opinion is Shelton & Willis are a big reason why we struggle,we rarely seem prepared for the starting pitching we face and our staff at times pitches like they've never seen a scouting report on our opponent

    Do we really want another Joel Skinner internship?

    Triple A Manager Torey Lovullo was supposedly one of the most asked about Minor league managers in baseball.

    Reports said numerous clubs have talked to the Tribe about the right to talk to him but the Tribe hasn't permitted it.

    I think he is your next manager.

  • @brownb499 said:

    Problem is who do you replace him with ? my opinion is Shelton & Willis are a big reason why we struggle,we rarely seem prepared for the starting pitching we face and our staff at times pitches like they've never seen a scouting report on our opponent

    Do we really want another Joel Skinner internship?

    Triple A Manager Torey Lovullo was supposedly one of the most asked about Minor league managers in baseball.

    Reports said numerous clubs have talked to the Tribe about the right to talk to him but the Tribe hasn't permitted it.

    I think he is your next manager.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    Triple A Manager Torey Lovullo was supposedly one of the most asked about Minor league managers in baseball.

    Reports said numerous clubs have talked to the Tribe about the right to talk to him but the Tribe hasn't permitted it.

    I think he is your next manager.

    It doesn't matter who the skipper is with numbers like this.

    The Starters have to pitch longer into games

    65 2/3 - innings pitched by the starters, an average of less than 5 1/3 per game

    44 1/3 - innings pitched by the relievers, an average of more than 3 1/3 per game

    6.50 - relief ERA

    1 - save situations for Kerry Wood

  • @beanpot said:

    I honestly think it was perfectly defensible. It was a textbook move and one that Wedge *should* have made if he was going by the book. I was listening to the Yankee feed and Sterling (sign of the cross) mentioned as much.

    I'm all for riding Pavano as hard as possible given his contract but he hasn't pitched seven innings in a game since April 9th of 2007.

    After just 6 innings and 90 pitches? When he dominated lefties all day?

    I love ya Bean but you are I are miles apart on this one.....But that's ok.....My dad and I would always argue about Mike Hargrove too! lol!

    I firmly believe that Eric Wedge just tightened his own noose today.

    @oldcrow1945 said:

    After just 6 innings and 90 pitches? When he dominated lefties all day?

    I love ya Bean but you are I are miles apart on this one.....But that's ok.....My dad and I would always argue about Mike Hargrove too! lol!

    I firmly believe that Eric Wedge just tightened his own noose today.

    Ah, I have no ties to Wedge and won't shed a tear if he's removed from his duties if things continue to go bad. I'll continue to consider it to have been lunacy if he had brought in a RH RP to face Cano and Matsui and don't find it one bit loony to have removed Pavano, but we'll just agree to disagree.

    Man, I loved arguing about Grover with my buds. Good times, good times!

    Beanpot

  • I can't imagine you were too pleased with the Jensen Lewis situation today, but I have to give credit for yanking him after the 2 runs and putting Sipp in there. Man he looks like a great player. Whiffing Morneau with some mid-90s cheese and tying up Kubel with that slider in a huge situation. Shapiro might've been dead on with his decision of stockpiling arms in the bullpen to see who works out. By the end of the year we could see a completely unexpected bridge to Wood.

    One interesting stat I found looking for reasons why we can't score runs to help our pitchers...

    With runners in scoring position and 2 outs, we're dead last in all of baseball, batting .135 in 74 ABs.

    I haven't been reading enough of the Tribe news to see if that's been talked about much, but it seems pretty obvious that's what's kept us down. You can blame the bad start from pretty much the whole pitching staff all you want, but you really can't expect to compete without clutch hitting.

  • even mark prior think adam miller gets hurt too much.

  • Whoever is to blame for a 8-14 start, Wedge is the one that has to take the responsibility.

    I know many will say it's not Wedge's fault but there have been thousands of managers fired and it was never their fault as well. But managers are still fired and it's for many reasons.

    This Tribe team should be better than their 8-14 start and the buck stops with Eric Wedge. They started out poorly last year and it caused them to lose a chance at the post season. This year is a repeat of that again. How long does this FO allow an Eric Wedge team to come out of Spring training playing like this? It's time for him to go.

  • Does Peralta have any options left?

  • Does Peralta have any options left?

    @booker said:

    Does Peralta have any options left?

    I'm not exactly sure how it works but I think he has options because he's part of the 25 man active roster. I think the only time a team can lose a player through re assignment and then waivers is if he is only on the 40 man roster and has three years pro experience.

    I THINK this is the way it works. You can reassign an active 25 man roster guy at any time.

    Maybe someone else can fill us in if I have it wrong.

  • From Castro, and sums up what I feel pretty well.

    What is going on with the Tribe's offense? One week, they are firing on all levels. The next, they can't do a thing. Who is to blame? Wedge or Shelton?

    -- Kenny K., Elyria, Ohio

    Are those my only options? Can't I blame the hitter's problems on ... oh, I don't know ... the hitters? Wedge and Shelton can talk to them (and inquisitive reporters) until they're blue in the face. But if a guy is going to strike out with runners in scoring position, that's on him.

    The Indians have, for the most part, done a fine job working the opposing pitcher deep into the count, as evidenced by their 99 walks drawn (most in the league). But this has not been an opportunistic offense, as evidenced by the 186 men they've left on base (second most in the league).

    The Indians try to downplay the impact of the strikeout, but Tribe batters have struck out 62 times with runners in scoring position (Peralta and Grady Sizemore are the main offenders, with 11 each). That team total is by far the most for any club in the AL. Second place goes to the White Sox, with 45. When I watch this team play, that troublesome trend really stands out, particularly in the late innings.