Lee on the trading black?
-
Just saw this on espn insider. Can anybody who has it give us a bit more info?
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/ru...atures%2frumors
-
Just saw this on espn insider. Can anybody who has it give us a bit more info?
http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/ru...atures%2frumors
Guest_FloridaBrownsFan_* said:
Just saw this on espn insider. Can anybody who has it give us a bit more info?http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/ru...atures%2frumors
I don't know how they could do this unless someone blows them away with two or three pitching prospects with one ready now and another one or two that are not far away.
He's only signed thru 2010 and if the Indians find themselves out of the running early maybe it's possible. I don't know.
-
The full article
The Indians might be willing to trade Cy Young Award winner Cliff Lee, according to CBSSports.com.
The story by Danny Knobler cites multiple officials familiar with the Indians who said they wouldn't be at all surprised to see Lee get traded if the Tribe falls far out of the race, just as CC Sabathia was dealt away when Cleveland fell out of it last year.
"I think they'd love to trade him," one of the officials said.
Why would you trade a guy who went 22-3 and won a Cy Young? "Because you don't think he can do it again," Knobler writes.
The story speculates that Tribe officials aren't sure whether Lee is a legitimate No. 1 starter or middle of the rotation pitcher. Consequently, they aren't sure what kind of contract to offer him in the future.
"They might think this is the time to sell high on him," another baseball official was quoted.
Lee asked to negotiate a contract extension in spring training and was turned down, General Manager Mark Shapiro telling Lee that the uncertain economy had put a hold on those kinds of talks.
It might be a terrible move, but if we get an ace-calibur prospect back, I'm not sure I'd be too upset. I don't think Cliff is a real difference maker for us, our season still comes down to the next 4 guys in the rotation and I don't think replacing Lee with Huff or Sowers or whoever would make that drastic a difference over 162 games. We'd still be competing for the Central the next couple of years, and if we get an ace in the minors to go with De La Cruz and Rondon, suddenly that can be a dominant staff, and with most of our big pieces (including Sizemore) locked up through 2012...who knows. We might be the team to beat with an even better future.
I don't think it happens unless we're out of the race though, and I don't expect to be out of the race at the deadline.
-
This is BS. I am close with a person that works VERY close with the Tribe. He didn't hear about it then it's bull. It's rival GM's trying to get Lee.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login