Skip to content

Top 5 Rivalries

The Browns Board
59 14 1.6k
  • Zombo said:

    Steelers

    Ravens ( a lot of fans disagree here)

    Bengals

    Broncos

    Cowboys

    I agree with Z on the top 4. But not on the Cowboys. Not sure where he got that. The NFL..and Art Modell put the kibosh on what was the Browns #1 historic rivalry: The Lions. 4 NFL championship games head to head. And FYI, Detroit is actually closer to Cleveland than is Pittsburgh...as the crow flies (though because of having to circumnavigate Lake Erie, Pisstown is a shorter drive). Browns also had a big rivalry with the NY Giants back in the day....but that was really just a Sam Huff/Jim Brown rivalry. They also had a rivalry with the Houston Oilers when for many years were in the same division, but that was not really natural then, and less so since the Oilers became the Tits and moved to a different division.

    The Broncos rivalry is not really a natural rivalry....it is only a remnant of the 80s matchups, and though I accept it, it really isn't one.

    The Natural top 5 should be:

    Pittsburgh

    Baltimore

    Cincy

    Detroit

    Buffalo

    @the-gipper said:

    I agree with Z on the top 4. But not on the Cowboys. Not sure where he got that.

    I hate them. That was the question, right?

    That is my list, not answering for all.

    Zombo

  • @the-gipper said:

    I agree with Z on the top 4. But not on the Cowboys. Not sure where he got that.

    I hate them. That was the question, right?

    That is my list, not answering for all.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I hate them. That was the question, right?

    That is my list, not answering for all.

    Zombo

    OK, sorry, I guess I skipped over the "most hated" part of the equation....and just looked at the rivalry part. The Cowboys are definitely hateable what with all the FRAKs. And I , sorta, have one in my family. My daughter is a Cowboy fan now. But at least she lives in Texas.....lots of Cowboy FRAKs never passed the Red and Sabine Rivers.

  • A lot might depend on your age or maybe how far back your family history goes, I was born in 1950 same year the BROWNS entered the NFL and began to kick ass. But if your reference is all the more recent media and largely ESPN driven 1970s, 1980s, 1990s and to the present you might have a different view of history.

    It's a concept known as a "value programming" or when your get your strongest memories, feelings and emotions on things and here's mine:

    1. Pissburgh naturally the turnpike rivalry, thank you Joe "turkey" Jones, 1975

    2. Baltimore only because of the messy divorce, of sorts, and no NFL for 3 years!

    3. Green Bay, who do you think the BROWNS were fighting for titles back then? Plus the ONLY year Jim Brown didn't win a rushing title was to _________ (guess).

    4. Denver primarily because they stole the shot, and who drives 98 lucky yards, really? Plus Rich Karlis' (SALEM, OH) FG is still no good! Byner again to tie not win, who knows?

    5. Detroit if you're old enough to remember, Buffalo maybe when they had a half decent team, any NY team but my choice is Cincinnati because they stole the BROWNS colors for spite....a Paul Brown gotcha, lol.

  • Zombo said:

    Steelers

    Ravens ( a lot of fans disagree here)

    Bengals

    Broncos

    Cowboys

    I agree with Z on the top 4. But not on the Cowboys. Not sure where he got that. The NFL..and Art Modell put the kibosh on what was the Browns #1 historic rivalry: The Lions. 4 NFL championship games head to head. And FYI, Detroit is actually closer to Cleveland than is Pittsburgh...as the crow flies (though because of having to circumnavigate Lake Erie, Pisstown is a shorter drive). Browns also had a big rivalry with the NY Giants back in the day....but that was really just a Sam Huff/Jim Brown rivalry. They also had a rivalry with the Houston Oilers when for many years were in the same division, but that was not really natural then, and less so since the Oilers became the Tits and moved to a different division.

    The Broncos rivalry is not really a natural rivalry....it is only a remnant of the 80s matchups, and though I accept it, it really isn't one.

    The Natural top 5 should be:

    Pittsburgh

    Baltimore

    Cincy

    Detroit

    Buffalo

    @the-gipper said:

    I agree with Z on the top 4. But not on the Cowboys. Not sure where he got that.

    Well, they made my list as well.

    1. Bengals
    2. Steelers
    3. Ravens
    4. Broncos
    5. Cowboys

    Folks forget we were division rivals through the 60's playing twice a season. Results were very lopsided in the first half of the decade in our favor over the expansion 'Boys. Then in theirs early in the 2nd half before the stars aligned, both teams were good, and we split the last six games.

    And in those last three years, '67 - '69, we met in the playoffs with our result being L-W-W.

    Personally I flip the Bengals and the Steelers just because it has been so long since we've been competitive with the latter...It takes two to tango.

    Plus besides the bloodlines there's Sam Wiche... but I look forward to reason to put the Steelers atop my list again.

  • 1 Stealers

    2 ravens

    3 bungholes

    4 colts

    5 Detroit

  • 1. Stools

    2. Stealers

    3. Ratbirds

    4. Bungholes

    5. Squeelers

  • Personally I don't like DAL at all but don't look at them as BROWNS rivals, IND well they got screwed early on too by an owner plus I always liked Unitas and later Peyton (well most commercials too). Maybe I was a bit harsh on GB could slide them to 5. BAL might slide out....next century.

    Maybe we should do an NCAA one too? I can think of quite a few just off hand.

  • If we were to go strictly based on how close a head to head series is over the years, our "closest" rivals in terms of W-L are:

    1.A Colts .500 14-14

    1.B Dolphins .500 8-8

    3. Chiefs .480 11-12-2

    4.A Jets.545 12-10

    4.B Pats .545 12-10

    6. Steelers .460 58-68

    7. Bengals .459 39-46

    The teams that we have the "least close rivalry" with, in terms of W-L:

    On the positive side:

    1. Falcons .786 11-3

    2. Saints .765 13-4

    3. Redskins .744 33-11-1

    On the negative side:

    1. Broncos .200 5-20

    2. Panthers .200 1-4

    3. Lions .211 4-15

  • Plus if you meet three-years in a row in the playoffs?

  • Over the ~65 years of the Cleveland Browns (minus a few in the 90s) the head to head doesn't necessarily really mean that much except maybe for two names on the list, Steelers and Bengals.

    You need some more to make a rivalry or enemy like a division or region or other unique relationship over time.

  • Over the ~65 years of the Cleveland Browns (minus a few in the 90s) the head to head doesn't necessarily really mean that much except maybe for two names on the list, Steelers and Bengals.

    You need some more to make a rivalry or enemy like a division or region or other unique relationship over time.

    @mjp28 said:

    Over the ~65 years of the Cleveland Browns (minus a few in the 90s) the head to head doesn't necessarily really mean that much except maybe for two names on the list, Steelers and Bengals.

    You need some more to make a rivalry or enemy like a division or region or other unique relationship overy time.

    I understand, I was simply listing which teams the Browns have had the closest and furthest records with.

  • @mjp28 said:

    Over the ~65 years of the Cleveland Browns (minus a few in the 90s) the head to head doesn't necessarily really mean that much except maybe for two names on the list, Steelers and Bengals.

    You need some more to make a rivalry or enemy like a division or region or other unique relationship overy time.

    I understand, I was simply listing which teams the Browns have had the closest and furthest records with.

    @the-gipper said:

    I understand, I was simply listing which teams the Browns have had the closest and furthest records with.

    Oh yes, actually I was a bit surprised that's all there was to the list but sports tend to be a net sum zero deal. You really see it more in MLB.

  • Plus if you meet three-years in a row in the playoffs?

    @tour2ma said:

    Plus if you meet three-years in a row in the playoffs?

    Well, I can tell you that in that era of the 60s, the Browns had a much bigger rivalry with the Cardinals than with the Cowboys as far as that goes. And the Giants. Of course the Bengals didn't even exist....or were in the AFL. The Steelers "rivalry" was lopsided, as bad in our favor as it has been in their favor, and the fans were all that high on it. No, I remember the Giants being a big game because of the Brown/Huff matchup. The Cowboys were just a team we played in the playoffs....no real rivalry (maybe is seems more acute to you because you live in Texas now).

    The Packers were no bigger than the Colts....we were aware that both were quality opponents.. For some reason the Cardinals stick out in my mind....because of some classic battles, including a 33-33 tie.

  • Remember too in the 1950s and most of the 1960s you only had 12 or 14 teams with 12 or 14 games, fewer teams but you played them more often. Oh remember the SIX preseason games?

    The merger was big followed by expansion follow by TV mania, slightly different game now.

    I don't think the players feel the rivalries hardly at all now in pro ball....fans might.

    Want that try the NCAA.

  • Remember too in the 1950s and most of the 1960s you only had 12 or 14 teams with 12 or 14 games, fewer teams but you played them more often. Oh remember the SIX preseason games?

    The merger was big followed by expansion follow by TV mania, slightly different game now.

    I don't think the players feel the rivalries hardly at all now in pro ball....fans might.

    Want that try the NCAA.

    @mjp28 said:

    Remember too in the 1950s and most of the 1960s you only had 12 or 14 teams with 12 or 14 games, fewer teams but you played them more often. Oh remember the SIX preseason games?

    The merger was big followed by expansion follow by TV mania, slightly different game now.

    I don't think the players feel the rivalries hardly at all now in pro ball....fans might.

    Want that try the NCAA.

    All fair statements.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Plus if you meet three-years in a row in the playoffs?

    Well, I can tell you that in that era of the 60s, the Browns had a much bigger rivalry with the Cardinals than with the Cowboys as far as that goes. And the Giants. Of course the Bengals didn't even exist....or were in the AFL. The Steelers "rivalry" was lopsided, as bad in our favor as it has been in their favor, and the fans were all that high on it. No, I remember the Giants being a big game because of the Brown/Huff matchup. The Cowboys were just a team we played in the playoffs....no real rivalry (maybe is seems more acute to you because you live in Texas now).

    The Packers were no bigger than the Colts....we were aware that both were quality opponents.. For some reason the Cardinals stick out in my mind....because of some classic battles, including a 33-33 tie.

    @the-gipper said:

    Well, I can tell you that in that era of the 60s, the Browns had a much bigger rivalry with the Cardinals than with the Cowboys as far as that goes. And the Giants. Of course the Bengals didn't even exist....or were in the AFL. The Steelers "rivalry" was lopsided, as bad in our favor as it has been in their favor, and the fans were all that high on it. No, I remember the Giants being a big game because of the Brown/Huff matchup. The Cowboys were just a team we played in the playoffs....no real rivalry (maybe is seems more acute to you because you live in Texas now).

    The Packers were no bigger than the Colts....we were aware that both were quality opponents.. For some reason the Cardinals stick out in my mind....because of some classic battles, including a 33-33 tie.

    Sure... you can tell me... just as long as I do not have to agree... 😉

    Totally get the Sam Huff thing, but that was a player rivalry.

    Also remember StL being a nemesis... one I always felt we should sweep, but seemingly never did. But we never met them in the playoffs.

    Dallas? Living in Texas has nada to do with it. We had no greater rival in the late 60's than them... not in my book anyway. They are the one that came out of my childhood.

  • In your opinion who are the top 5 biggest rivals/most hated teams of the Cleveland Browns? Rank your top 5...

    1.

    2.

    3.

    4.

    5.

    @go-losers said:

    In your opinion who are the top 5 biggest rivals/most hated teams of the Cleveland Browns? Rank your top 5...

    1. Steelers..rivalry and hate inbreds, especially steroidal inbreds.

    2. Ravens..rivalry and hate baltimore for doing to us what was done to their city...CLASSLESS!

    3. Bengals..in state rivalry.

    4. Broncos..As long as "old horseteeth" is there, I hate 'em!

    5. Jets..Hate Joe Willie, Rex, & everything about the jets...no reason, I don't need one.

    Mike

  • In general Steelers are enemy #1 among Brown, Ravens, and Bengals fans..

    In general a Steeler fans ranking would go something like this.

    1. Ravens

    2. Bengals

    3. Cowboys

    4. Pats

    5. Browns

    Reluctant to even put the Browns on the list though. Sad fact is they aren't respected enough to even hate.

  • I hate the fucking Cowboys.

    I don't care so much about the Broncos.

    WSS

  • In your opinion who are the top 5 biggest rivals/most hated teams of the Cleveland Browns? Rank your top 5...

    1.

    2.

    3.

    4.

    5.

    @go-losers said:

    In your opinion who are the top 5 biggest rivals/most hated teams of the Cleveland Browns? Rank your top 5...

    1. Pittsburgh

    2. Ratbirds

    3. BenGals

    4. Titans (nee Oilers)

    5.Denver