Skip to content

Draft Talk

Locked The Browns Board
1.4k 63 38.7k
  • @poeticg said:

    One of my best football buddies lives in LA. He's a diehard Raiders fan just like many Browns fans. He's been waiting for years to be a good team. We've had many a late night battles on Madden with the two shittiest teams on the game... yet, it's all about how you use the talent in the end I might add. I was happy for him that they finally got a good QB in Carr and we laughed about him getting Mack and Carr and us getting Gilbert and Manziel.... ugh, but I digress, it sucks that now after all the turmoil the Raiders look to be headed to Las Vegas just when they've turned the corner... 🙁 God forbid that happen to us.

    Hey, Po! You were the Director of Camp Carr. Do you remember it being crowded with "many" fellow campers, or is someone here just blowing hot air again?

    @texasag1969 said:

    I will say one thing. If we do in fact take a QB #1 overall, I will laugh myself silly when we play the teams that did take Allen or Garrett when they strip sack our hapless rookie. Better than crying as I say, "Stupid fucking Browns!"

    Z is going to break out the whoopass again... get ready...

    @westside-steve said:

    Unfortunately the lesson he may have learned is not to take a Gamble on a quarterback.

    You can't "gamble" with a first rounder... ever.

    @tour2ma said:

    You can't "gamble" with a first rounder... ever.

    We can't blame the sins of past FOs on this one, but we've done plenty of that. Manziel was said to have the highest ceiling, and the lowest floor. Found out FLOOR. Taking a qb that was near social security age and a baseball retread (Wee-Done) wasn't a gamble? They were awed when he busted those clay pigeons on Sports Science.

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

  • @tour2ma said:

    You can't "gamble" with a first rounder... ever.

    We can't blame the sins of past FOs on this one, but we've done plenty of that. Manziel was said to have the highest ceiling, and the lowest floor. Found out FLOOR. Taking a qb that was near social security age and a baseball retread (Wee-Done) wasn't a gamble? They were awed when he busted those clay pigeons on Sports Science.

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

    @hoorta said:

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

  • @poeticg said:

    One of my best football buddies lives in LA. He's a diehard Raiders fan just like many Browns fans. He's been waiting for years to be a good team. We've had many a late night battles on Madden with the two shittiest teams on the game... yet, it's all about how you use the talent in the end I might add. I was happy for him that they finally got a good QB in Carr and we laughed about him getting Mack and Carr and us getting Gilbert and Manziel.... ugh, but I digress, it sucks that now after all the turmoil the Raiders look to be headed to Las Vegas just when they've turned the corner... 🙁 God forbid that happen to us.

    Hey, Po! You were the Director of Camp Carr. Do you remember it being crowded with "many" fellow campers, or is someone here just blowing hot air again?

    @texasag1969 said:

    I will say one thing. If we do in fact take a QB #1 overall, I will laugh myself silly when we play the teams that did take Allen or Garrett when they strip sack our hapless rookie. Better than crying as I say, "Stupid fucking Browns!"

    Z is going to break out the whoopass again... get ready...

    @westside-steve said:

    Unfortunately the lesson he may have learned is not to take a Gamble on a quarterback.

    You can't "gamble" with a first rounder... ever.

    @tour2ma said:

    You can't "gamble" with a first rounder... ever.

    Well a football team with Tour as GM might never do that. But in the real world a first-round quarterback is often, maybe usually, a gamble. I'd Venture a guess that any quarterback drafted is.

    For good or ill.

    WSS

  • @tour2ma said:

    You can't "gamble" with a first rounder... ever.

    We can't blame the sins of past FOs on this one, but we've done plenty of that. Manziel was said to have the highest ceiling, and the lowest floor. Found out FLOOR. Taking a qb that was near social security age and a baseball retread (Wee-Done) wasn't a gamble? They were awed when he busted those clay pigeons on Sports Science.

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

    @hoorta said:

    We can't blame the sins of past FOs on this one, but we've done plenty of that. Manziel was said to have the highest ceiling, and the lowest floor. Found out FLOOR. Taking a qb that was near social security age and a baseball retread (Wee-Done) wasn't a gamble? They were awed when he busted those clay pigeons on Sports Science.

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

    I maintain he could have been great. Unfortunately mental problems kept him from it.

    WSS

  • @hoorta said:

    We can't blame the sins of past FOs on this one, but we've done plenty of that. Manziel was said to have the highest ceiling, and the lowest floor. Found out FLOOR. Taking a qb that was near social security age and a baseball retread (Wee-Done) wasn't a gamble? They were awed when he busted those clay pigeons on Sports Science.

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

    I maintain he could have been great. Unfortunately mental problems kept him from it.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I maintain he could have been great. Unfortunately mental problems kept him from it.

    WSS

    I agree Steve. We just didn't know the cave-in had already started under the pressure of having won the Heisman so young. Wasn't mature enough to handle what came from that point on.

    Garrett on the other hand learned early to have a real calm life without drugs/alcohol after his older brother lost an NBA career over those issues.

  • @westside-steve said:

    I maintain he could have been great. Unfortunately mental problems kept him from it.

    WSS

    I agree Steve. We just didn't know the cave-in had already started under the pressure of having won the Heisman so young. Wasn't mature enough to handle what came from that point on.

    Garrett on the other hand learned early to have a real calm life without drugs/alcohol after his older brother lost an NBA career over those issues.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I agree Steve. We just didn't know the cave-in had already started under the pressure of having won the Heisman so young. Wasn't mature enough to handle what came from that point on.

    Garrett on the other hand learned early to have a real calm life without drugs/alcohol after his older brother lost an NBA career over those issues.

    I hope so. It seems that Garrett is the consensus best player in the draft so if we get him I hope he's a solid citizen too.

    WSS

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I agree Steve. We just didn't know the cave-in had already started under the pressure of having won the Heisman so young. Wasn't mature enough to handle what came from that point on.

    Garrett on the other hand learned early to have a real calm life without drugs/alcohol after his older brother lost an NBA career over those issues.

    I hope so. It seems that Garrett is the consensus best player in the draft so if we get him I hope he's a solid citizen too.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I hope so. It seems that Garrett is the consensus best player in the draft so if we get him I hope he's a solid citizen too.

    WSS

    His biggest vice is that he wants to be a paleontologist and own his own museum featuring dinosaurs some day. He does not participate in social media. Considers it a waste of your life. You know, kind of what we all do here. 😛

  • @texasag1969 said:

    I agree Steve. We just didn't know the cave-in had already started under the pressure of having won the Heisman so young. Wasn't mature enough to handle what came from that point on.

    Garrett on the other hand learned early to have a real calm life without drugs/alcohol after his older brother lost an NBA career over those issues.

    I hope so. It seems that Garrett is the consensus best player in the draft so if we get him I hope he's a solid citizen too.

    WSS

    @westside-steve said:

    I hope so. It seems that Garrett is the consensus best player in the draft so if we get him I hope he's a solid citizen too.

    WSS

    He just hired Johnny Manziel as his agent

  • @westside-steve said:

    I hope so. It seems that Garrett is the consensus best player in the draft so if we get him I hope he's a solid citizen too.

    WSS

    His biggest vice is that he wants to be a paleontologist and own his own museum featuring dinosaurs some day. He does not participate in social media. Considers it a waste of your life. You know, kind of what we all do here. 😛

    @texasag1969 said:

    His biggest vice is that he wants to be a paleontologist and own his own museum featuring dinosaurs some day. He does not participate in social media. Considers it a waste of your life. You know, kind of what we all do here. 😛

    Yeah, well, odds are that none of us are going to get picked in the first round anyway so...

    🙂

    WSS

  • @westside-steve said:

    I hope so. It seems that Garrett is the consensus best player in the draft so if we get him I hope he's a solid citizen too.

    WSS

    He just hired Johnny Manziel as his agent

    @darren15 said:

    He just hired Johnny Manziel as his agent

    Put a laugh or put it in pink. He's too busy next month signing autographs for $99 and selfies with him for $50 in Katy and the Woodlands.

    https://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/01/johnny_manziel_will_sign_autog.html

  • Your score is: 10046 (GRADE: B+)

    Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 1: Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M (A+)
    Round 1 Pick 12: Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama (A)
    Round 2 Pick 1: Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford (B+)
    Round 2 Pick 20: Marcus Williams, FS, Utah (A+)
    Round 3 Pick 1: Tyler Orlosky, C, West Virginia (A)
    Round 4 Pick 1: Howard Wilson, CB, Houston (A)
    Round 5 Pick 32: Davis Webb, QB, California (A)
    Round 6 Pick 1: Ryan Switzer, WR, North Carolina (A)

    Comp picks are CB,OLB,OT,CB in that order

    I really really like this draft. We have a big bodied Strong armed QB to develop. Switzer and McCaffrey both guys who can return punts and Kicks and excel in their positions. 2 Highly rated defensive secondary players. The top MLB paired with the top Edge of the draft should really solidify our front 7 for years to come. and Sweet christ we have a center.

  • I can't shake the feeling we're going Garrett then Kizer.

    I'm still almost certain I recall HueShi saying something about the best QB in college football not being in the draft last year. That wouldn't be referencing Trubisky at all, since it was before he started. Obviously, most would think that would be Watson. However, we've had a scout at "an inordinate amount" of Kizer's games this year per NFL.com.

    The hiring of Williams and the non firing of DL coach Nunn are pretty solid indicators (IMO) we'll likely be moving to a traditional 4-man 1-gap scheme. Garrett just makes too much sense at #1.

    The main knock on Kizer isn't that he's incapable, it's that he's too green. He needs to season. We're in the perfect scenario to let that happen with both RG3 and Kessler getting game time in 2016.

    A QB at #1 would be too hard to rationalize sitting in Cleveland. The fans just wouldn't have it, unfortunately. We'd be in a Jacksonville situation, forcing a raw QB to start because of fan pressure. A QB at #12, taken after selecting the top player in the draft, becomes a luxury pick more than a necessity. It's easier to rationalize sitting him.

    Is that the scenario I want? Not necessarily. But right now, in my opinion, that seems like the scenario that's most likely to play out.

  • I can't shake the feeling we're going Garrett then Kizer.

    I'm still almost certain I recall HueShi saying something about the best QB in college football not being in the draft last year. That wouldn't be referencing Trubisky at all, since it was before he started. Obviously, most would think that would be Watson. However, we've had a scout at "an inordinate amount" of Kizer's games this year per NFL.com.

    The hiring of Williams and the non firing of DL coach Nunn are pretty solid indicators (IMO) we'll likely be moving to a traditional 4-man 1-gap scheme. Garrett just makes too much sense at #1.

    The main knock on Kizer isn't that he's incapable, it's that he's too green. He needs to season. We're in the perfect scenario to let that happen with both RG3 and Kessler getting game time in 2016.

    A QB at #1 would be too hard to rationalize sitting in Cleveland. The fans just wouldn't have it, unfortunately. We'd be in a Jacksonville situation, forcing a raw QB to start because of fan pressure. A QB at #12, taken after selecting the top player in the draft, becomes a luxury pick more than a necessity. It's easier to rationalize sitting him.

    Is that the scenario I want? Not necessarily. But right now, in my opinion, that seems like the scenario that's most likely to play out.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I can't shake the feeling we're going Garrett then Kizer.

    I'm still almost certain I recall HueShi saying something about the best QB in college football not being in the draft last year. That wouldn't be referencing Trubisky at all, since it was before he started. Obviously, most would think that would be Watson. However, we've had a scout at "an inordinate amount" of Kizer's games this year per NFL.com.

    The hiring of Williams and the non firing of DL coach Nunn are pretty solid indicators (IMO) we'll likely be moving to a traditional 4-man 1-gap scheme. Garrett just makes too much sense at #1.

    The main knock on Kizer isn't that he's incapable, it's that he's too green. He needs to season. We're in the perfect scenario to let that happen with both RG3 and Kessler getting game time in 2016.

    A QB at #1 would be too hard to rationalize sitting in Cleveland. The fans just wouldn't have it, unfortunately. We'd be in a Jacksonville situation, forcing a raw QB to start because of fan pressure. A QB at #12, taken after selecting the top player in the draft, becomes a luxury pick more than a necessity. It's easier to rationalize sitting him.

    Is that the scenario I want? Not necessarily. But right now, in my opinion, that seems like the scenario that's most likely to play out.

    I really think the 49ers and the bears go QB leaving the 3rd best QB to us at 12. It could be Kizer but it's more likely that the bears pick up kizer as they have a line for a more mobile QB as do the 49ers. In Regards to Kizer we stopped actively scouting him after the stanford debacle.

    Kizer did average in his first year starting and below average this year. Even after watching all the game tape available I'm flabbergasted why people are even putting him in the First round.

  • @hoorta said:

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

    @texasag1969 said:

    Akron Native Chrissie Hynde is a Browns fan......and she wants a Quarterback.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I can't shake the feeling we're going Garrett then Kizer.

    I'm still almost certain I recall HueShi saying something about the best QB in college football not being in the draft last year. That wouldn't be referencing Trubisky at all, since it was before he started. Obviously, most would think that would be Watson. However, we've had a scout at "an inordinate amount" of Kizer's games this year per NFL.com.

    The hiring of Williams and the non firing of DL coach Nunn are pretty solid indicators (IMO) we'll likely be moving to a traditional 4-man 1-gap scheme. Garrett just makes too much sense at #1.

    The main knock on Kizer isn't that he's incapable, it's that he's too green. He needs to season. We're in the perfect scenario to let that happen with both RG3 and Kessler getting game time in 2016.

    A QB at #1 would be too hard to rationalize sitting in Cleveland. The fans just wouldn't have it, unfortunately. We'd be in a Jacksonville situation, forcing a raw QB to start because of fan pressure. A QB at #12, taken after selecting the top player in the draft, becomes a luxury pick more than a necessity. It's easier to rationalize sitting him.

    Is that the scenario I want? Not necessarily. But right now, in my opinion, that seems like the scenario that's most likely to play out.

    I really think the 49ers and the bears go QB leaving the 3rd best QB to us at 12. It could be Kizer but it's more likely that the bears pick up kizer as they have a line for a more mobile QB as do the 49ers. In Regards to Kizer we stopped actively scouting him after the stanford debacle.

    Kizer did average in his first year starting and below average this year. Even after watching all the game tape available I'm flabbergasted why people are even putting him in the First round.

    @cainedesoulis said:

    I really think the 49ers and the bears go QB leaving the 3rd best QB to us at 12. It could be Kizer but it's more likely that the bears pick up kizer as they have a line for a more mobile QB as do the 49ers. In Regards to Kizer we stopped actively scouting him after the stanford debacle.

    Kizer did average in his first year starting and below average this year. Even after watching all the game tape available I'm flabbergasted why people are even putting him in the First round.

    He's made more first round throws than any of the QBs in this draft, that's probably why. He's unfortunately also made more 7th round throws too.

    I can pick probably four or five throws from every game that show he has the potential to be better than both Watson and Trubisky at the NFL level. But he'lol have four or five throws in the same game that are head scratchers at best and downright garbage at worst.

    There's very little doubt that he has franchise QB upside, he's the total package in terms of size, speed and ability. But his decision making is questionable, his confidence is weak, and he needs time to hone both his footwork and his pre-snap process. At worst, he's probably a Jason Campbell clone.

    I don't know where you're getting that we stopped scouting him in October, because both ESPN and NFL reported in December we were still scouting him. I also wouldn't call the Stanford game a debacle as much as it was just a bad game.

  • @tour2ma said:

    You can't "gamble" with a first rounder... ever.

    We can't blame the sins of past FOs on this one, but we've done plenty of that. Manziel was said to have the highest ceiling, and the lowest floor. Found out FLOOR. Taking a qb that was near social security age and a baseball retread (Wee-Done) wasn't a gamble? They were awed when he busted those clay pigeons on Sports Science.

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

    @hoorta said:

    We can't blame the sins of past FOs on this one, but we've done plenty of that. Manziel was said to have the highest ceiling, and the lowest floor. Found out FLOOR. Taking a qb that was near social security age and a baseball retread (Wee-Done) wasn't a gamble? They were awed when he busted those clay pigeons on Sports Science.

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

    Did not say that we have not gambled... said you can't... ever. Pretty sure Wheezy supports my position. JFF as well.

    @westside-steve said:

    Well a football team with Tour as GM might never do that. But in the real world a first-round quarterback is often, maybe usually, a gamble. I'd Venture a guess that any quarterback drafted is. For good or ill.

    Simply a matter of percentages, a matter of degree, oh skirted songmeister...

    "Gamble" carries the connotation of risk, a dice roll... even 7 is not a good bet, it's just the highest probable outcome at 1 in 6. Not even roulette's, red/black, "50/50" odds are good enough for a 1st-round pick, and they are the best gambling odds I can think of.

  • @hoorta said:

    We can't blame the sins of past FOs on this one, but we've done plenty of that. Manziel was said to have the highest ceiling, and the lowest floor. Found out FLOOR. Taking a qb that was near social security age and a baseball retread (Wee-Done) wasn't a gamble? They were awed when he busted those clay pigeons on Sports Science.

    Makes Mitch look like a relatively safe pick. 🙂

    Did not say that we have not gambled... said you can't... ever. Pretty sure Wheezy supports my position. JFF as well.

    @westside-steve said:

    Well a football team with Tour as GM might never do that. But in the real world a first-round quarterback is often, maybe usually, a gamble. I'd Venture a guess that any quarterback drafted is. For good or ill.

    Simply a matter of percentages, a matter of degree, oh skirted songmeister...

    "Gamble" carries the connotation of risk, a dice roll... even 7 is not a good bet, it's just the highest probable outcome at 1 in 6. Not even roulette's, red/black, "50/50" odds are good enough for a 1st-round pick, and they are the best gambling odds I can think of.

    @tour2ma said:

    Did not say that we have not gambled... said you can't... ever. Pretty sure Wheezy supports my position. JFF as well.

    Simply a matter of percentages, a matter of degree, oh skirted songmeister...

    "Gamble" carries the connotation of risk, a dice roll... even 7 is not a good bet, it's just the highest probable outcome at 1 in 6. Not even roulette's, red/black, "50/50" odds are good enough for a 1st-round pick, and they are the best gambling odds I can think of.

    But no one knows what is or is not a gamble. Guys that people thought would be sure fire stars busted....like Leaf, Harrington, Russell, Leinert, Locker RGIII. Those guys were not considered gambles at the time they were taken.

    But a Wilson in round 3, or Prescott in round 4 were considered gambles.

    Every draft choice that every team takes is a gamble, really.

  • @westside-steve said:

    I hope so. It seems that Garrett is the consensus best player in the draft so if we get him I hope he's a solid citizen too.

    WSS

    His biggest vice is that he wants to be a paleontologist and own his own museum featuring dinosaurs some day. He does not participate in social media. Considers it a waste of your life. You know, kind of what we all do here. 😛

    @texasag1969 said:

    His biggest vice is that he wants to be a paleontologist and own his own museum featuring dinosaurs some day.

    Sounds like a perfect fit to play for LA Rams next to their dino-denier...

    @the-gipper said:

    Akron Native Chrissie Hynde is a Browns fan......and she wants a Quarterback.

    And she lives in London so I guess I'll see here at the game.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He's made more first round throws than any of the QBs in this draft, that's probably why. He's unfortunately also made more 7th round throws too.

    Very fair assessment...

    I have to believe he's working with a QB whisperer, will throw at the Combine and do more to sharpen his skills and raise his stock.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    His biggest vice is that he wants to be a paleontologist and own his own museum featuring dinosaurs some day.

    Sounds like a perfect fit to play for LA Rams next to their dino-denier...

    @the-gipper said:

    Akron Native Chrissie Hynde is a Browns fan......and she wants a Quarterback.

    And she lives in London so I guess I'll see here at the game.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    He's made more first round throws than any of the QBs in this draft, that's probably why. He's unfortunately also made more 7th round throws too.

    Very fair assessment...

    I have to believe he's working with a QB whisperer, will throw at the Combine and do more to sharpen his skills and raise his stock.

    @tour2ma said:

    Sounds like a perfect fit to play for LA Rams next to their dino-denier...

    And she lives in London so I guess I'll see here at the game.

    She lives part time there and part time here. She owns a condo near downtown Akron. She used to own a vegetarian restaurant in the bottom of the same building which I ate at. Pretty good. But she gave that up.

    Very fair assessment...

    I have to believe he's working with a QB whisperer, will throw at the Combine and do more to sharpen his skills and raise his stock.

    Who is this QB whisperer....and why haven't the Browns been using him?