Skip to content

Draft Talk

Locked The Browns Board
1.4k 63 38.7k
  • http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20161027/SPORTS/161029471

    Summing it up Mel Kiper ranks Mitch as the best NCAA qb in the country and TOP QB prospect

    @cainedesoulis said:

    http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20161027/SPORTS/161029471

    Summing it up Mel Kiper ranks Mitch as the best NCAA qb in the country and TOP QB prospect

    He also thought Jamarcus Russell was the best QB prospect at one point. I will wait to see what is said after the prospects are dissected by every draft expert before jumping for joy over anyone of them.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    So lets look at the draft order. Here's the rules.............http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/rules/

    At the moment we have only two serious candidates in competition (!?) for #1 overall. Bears and 49's have 1 win each. I am going to assume the Panthers with their one win will eliminate themselves because they are too talented not to do so without intentionally losing out. The Bears play the 49's Dec. 4 so one of those two will have two wins and unless a miracle happens with the Browns winning two, that team is eliminated. We play neither of those teams ourselves so that is a wash. So IF, a huge IF, the Browns should tie the other loser of those two with one win each, who has the greatest strength of schedule between us and the other two "competitors"? The rules state "Overall ties are then broken by strength of schedule, which is a calculation of the combined record of all of a team's opponents in that year, with divisional opponents counting twice."

    We all know this is where we are headed this year. There has not been enough improvement in play or game day coaching to think otherwise thus far. And quite frankly without a win over the Jets this weekend, we are the "winners" of the draft order game.

    EDIT: At them moment our division above us is 10-11, 49s 10-8-2 and the Bears 13-6. Since that is the largest factor, we need to root for the 49's to beat the Bears if nothing changes between now and Dec. 4th, even if we beat someone.

    Our division will be shitty. It could be won by a 9-7 team. 10-6 would be a stretch. Balt/Pitt are .500 teams. The Bengals who are probably the most talented are still the Bengals and certain to overachieve.

    Browns will not "win" any strength of schedule battles.

    @the-gipper said:

    Our division will be shitty. It could be won by a 9-7 team. 10-6 would be a stretch. Balt/Pitt are .500 teams. The Bengals who are probably the most talented are still the Bengals and certain to overachieve.

    Browns will not "win" any strength of schedule battles.

    Actually Gip that is exactly how you "win" the strength of schedule battle. The shittier your division the higher you get to pick because you tied with someone for the same # of wins while playing crappier teams.

    So back to my point. Winning today does not move us out of the #1 overall pick. Jets are also a shitty team, so we don't get a lot of credit for the win there either. Make sense? \

    BTW Garrett was in a boot for that injured leg and did not play this week against N.M.St. He has been playing on that bad wheel since the 1st Q of the Arkansas game after a low cheap shot by their 6'10" LOT. This is the second game he did not play in, S.Car. being the other.

  • http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20161027/SPORTS/161029471

    Summing it up Mel Kiper ranks Mitch as the best NCAA qb in the country and TOP QB prospect

    @cainedesoulis said:

    http://www.news-herald.com/article/HR/20161027/SPORTS/161029471

    Summing it up Mel Kiper ranks Mitch as the best NCAA qb in the country and TOP QB prospect

    Gumby Grippe Jr. here in NC. Mitch is proving to be another one hit wonder redshirt jr. Mitch completed 43-44 passes last 2 seasons. He's working behind one of the best OL in the ACC this season. Scouts will most likely prefer a "prove it again season" as a Senior season. But, there is that, Who is Carson Wentz to Mitch. His pre draft evaluation will be full of guys like Kiper. Only my opinion but, I think Mitch should stay to prove he's not like another 1 hit wonder like a guy named Deshawn Watson..

  • Did any of the QB guru's watch the ND-Miami yesterday? I'd like to hear how Kizer and Kaaya looked.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Our division will be shitty. It could be won by a 9-7 team. 10-6 would be a stretch. Balt/Pitt are .500 teams. The Bengals who are probably the most talented are still the Bengals and certain to overachieve.

    Browns will not "win" any strength of schedule battles.

    Actually Gip that is exactly how you "win" the strength of schedule battle. The shittier your division the higher you get to pick because you tied with someone for the same # of wins while playing crappier teams.

    So back to my point. Winning today does not move us out of the #1 overall pick. Jets are also a shitty team, so we don't get a lot of credit for the win there either. Make sense? \

    BTW Garrett was in a boot for that injured leg and did not play this week against N.M.St. He has been playing on that bad wheel since the 1st Q of the Arkansas game after a low cheap shot by their 6'10" LOT. This is the second game he did not play in, S.Car. being the other.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Actually Gip that is exactly how you "win" the strength of schedule battle. The shittier your division the higher you get to pick because you tied with someone for the same # of wins while playing crappier teams.

    So back to my point. Winning today does not move us out of the #1 overall pick. Jets are also a shitty team, so we don't get a lot of credit for the win there either. Make sense? \

    BTW Garrett was in a boot for that injured leg and did not play this week against N.M.St. He has been playing on that bad wheel since the 1st Q of the Arkansas game after a low cheap shot by their 6'10" LOT. This is the second game he did not play in, S.Car. being the other.

    OK, I see. If teams are tied for draft positioning, it is actually the team with the "weaker" strength of schedule that will get the higher pick.

    Right now, the AFCN has Pitt/Balt at 4-4, Cinci at 3-4-1. LIke I said, a shitty division....so, yes, the Browns will "lose" any strength of schedule matchup, thus winning any higher draft pick.

  • Oh-oh... Gip's back.

    Here come a couple dozen dead threads back to life... 😉

    Welcome back, Gip...

  • Oh-oh... Gip's back.

    Here come a couple dozen dead threads back to life... 😉

    Welcome back, Gip...

    @tour2ma said:

    Oh-oh... Gip's back.

    Here come a couple dozen dead threads back to life... 😉

    Welcome back, Gip...

    I don't think this thread will be dead until next May.

  • Watching cutups from Watson right now.

    First impressions - another athletic, capabale armed QB whose eyes aren't the fastest and tends to lock onto his first read. That was just after watching the Auburn game and seeing a front 7 give him some pressure.

  • I think Mitch has the most upside of the QB's currently. I like garrett but the more i watch the more i am reminded of mingo

  • Except I've seen Garrett stack LTs and set the edge...

    QBs? Just starting to look, but no... Watson has not shown me NFL tools as yet.

  • I'm honestly thinking a center is about the only gaping hole on offense. The rest of the guys are capable enough to get the job done when all healthy. I have no idea who we could draft to play there, but I'm guessing there's someone. In fact, maybe a veteran FA would be a better way to go - not having to worry about a very young guy in Kessler making all the calls along with a rookie center. Just a thought.

  • Reiter was playing well before blowing out a wheel. So we would at least have decent depth at center if we drafted a kid.

  • Reiter was playing well before blowing out a wheel. So we would at least have decent depth at center if we drafted a kid.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Reiter was playing well before blowing out a wheel. So we would at least have decent depth at center if we drafted a kid.

    True. And I would dearly love to see Reiter in a full season, because one game isn't enough to judge a player on.

  • One of next year's second-round picks absolutely HAS to be the C to replace Erving. Erving isn't NFL-caliber.

  • I think Mitch has the most upside of the QB's currently. I like garrett but the more i watch the more i am reminded of mingo

    @cainedesoulis said:

    I think Mitch has the most upside of the QB's currently. I like garrett but the more i watch the more i am reminded of mingo

    Reminded of Mingo? Eh...I don't see that really. Would you care to elaborate more? Garrett is like 6'5 and 265 (I think), AND he's stout against the run. I will admit that Garrett is NOT having the statistical type of season he wanted, but I'm guessing that's due to injury and other teams preparing for him.

    The only QB I would consider with our first pick is Mitch, and it's NOT even close. I realize he didn't pull it out on Thursday, but I REALLY like his game. And don't undervalue the importance of him WANTING to play for Cleveland. I actually think that carries some level of importance. Additionally, having a QB with the nickname of "Mr. Biscuit" playing in the Dawg Pound...well...that just makes too much sense, right? 😉

    Give me the Biscuit, and nobody gets hurt.

  • @cainedesoulis said:

    I think Mitch has the most upside of the QB's currently. I like garrett but the more i watch the more i am reminded of mingo

    Reminded of Mingo? Eh...I don't see that really. Would you care to elaborate more? Garrett is like 6'5 and 265 (I think), AND he's stout against the run. I will admit that Garrett is NOT having the statistical type of season he wanted, but I'm guessing that's due to injury and other teams preparing for him.

    The only QB I would consider with our first pick is Mitch, and it's NOT even close. I realize he didn't pull it out on Thursday, but I REALLY like his game. And don't undervalue the importance of him WANTING to play for Cleveland. I actually think that carries some level of importance. Additionally, having a QB with the nickname of "Mr. Biscuit" playing in the Dawg Pound...well...that just makes too much sense, right? 😉

    Give me the Biscuit, and nobody gets hurt.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Reminded of Mingo? Eh...I don't see that really. Would you care to elaborate more? Garrett is like 6'5 and 265 (I think), AND he's stout against the run. I will admit that Garrett is NOT having the statistical type of season he wanted, but I'm guessing that's due to injury and other teams preparing for him.

    The only QB I would consider with our first pick is Mitch, and it's NOT even close. I realize he didn't pull it out on Thursday, but I REALLY like his game. And don't undervalue the importance of him WANTING to play for Cleveland. I actually think that carries some level of importance. Additionally, having a QB with the nickname of "Mr. Biscuit" playing in the Dawg Pound...well...that just makes too much sense, right? 😉

    Give me the Biscuit, and nobody gets hurt.

    Much like Barkevious Mingo, or Scooby Wright, both Browns HoF guys 😉

  • The more I read about the draft, the more I keep reading about the Browns passing on QB with their first pick to select either Garrett or Jonathan Allen. I guess that makes sense, as we all know how bad our defense is.

    I do know that developing a consistent pass rush is our top priority. We can talk about QB all day long, but just watch our defense on 3rd down and you'll know I'm right. How many 3rd and longs do we give up EVERY week? Even when we "blitz", we seldom get home. Having an awful secondary compounds the issue, as someone is almost always open down the field.

    I'd be happy with a bunch of different draft scenarios, but if we did Garrett with first pick and then CB/Safety with the second 1st rounder, I'd be very happy. The more I read about Mitch, the less I feel he's worthy of the overall #1 pick. Especially if that means giving up on a player like Garrett, who is being touted by many as the "once every ten years" type talent. Even if we DO draft Garrett, nothing much matters unless we find a way to keep Collins. He's the key to our entire defense if you ask me. In only his second game, we saw Collins EVERYWHERE. Just wait until he's truly comfortable in our system, AND add someone else the offense has to worry about.

  • Every other year there's apparently a 'once in a generation' talent. Garret, Mack, Clowney - nobody in 2013 because 2013 was the draft that the NFL forgot, but point is, this time of year everyone gets overhyped, and the best players in the draft get raised to 'once in a generation' talent. Elliott was the best back in a generation. So was Todd Gurley. So was Trent Richardson.

  • Clowney got derailed by a terrible injury. This year I saw him play VERY well....and do it without JJ Watt. Once he's healthy, AND Watt is healthy...this defense will be nasty. The few games I watched of the Texans, Clowney was a nightmare out there. Is he living up to the vast hype? No...I don't think he is. Hopefully he remains healthy and keeps improving. Gurley too has suffered injury related crap, and I hope he can overcome it as well. Zeke is completely living up to the hype, and boy is he good. Trent...well...let's not go there. After a very solid rookie year, something happened to him. Water under the bridge.

    I do know we need a defensive playmaker. Somebody the other team worries about. We have Collins, just need to KEEP HIM. If we do lock him up, we'll need another. Garrett might be that guy. This upcoming draft is going to be crazy, and we're going to be fired up. Four selections in the top 50 or so is nutso. Unfortunately, the damn Eagles AND Titans won, and both look very good. Hopefully we can build like they are. Wentz remains "Captain Check Down", and that's ok because Eagles have a very solid defense, and very good special teams. I'd give ANYTHING to have a "very good defense".

  • Clowney got derailed by a terrible injury. This year I saw him play VERY well....and do it without JJ Watt. Once he's healthy, AND Watt is healthy...this defense will be nasty. The few games I watched of the Texans, Clowney was a nightmare out there. Is he living up to the vast hype? No...I don't think he is. Hopefully he remains healthy and keeps improving. Gurley too has suffered injury related crap, and I hope he can overcome it as well. Zeke is completely living up to the hype, and boy is he good. Trent...well...let's not go there. After a very solid rookie year, something happened to him. Water under the bridge.

    I do know we need a defensive playmaker. Somebody the other team worries about. We have Collins, just need to KEEP HIM. If we do lock him up, we'll need another. Garrett might be that guy. This upcoming draft is going to be crazy, and we're going to be fired up. Four selections in the top 50 or so is nutso. Unfortunately, the damn Eagles AND Titans won, and both look very good. Hopefully we can build like they are. Wentz remains "Captain Check Down", and that's ok because Eagles have a very solid defense, and very good special teams. I'd give ANYTHING to have a "very good defense".

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Wentz remains "Captain Check Down", and that's ok .. I'd give ANYTHING to have a "very good defense".

    We have a serviceable check down QB on our team already. So in that sense alone I'm happy we took him in the 3rd rather than the 1st.

    We could take Garrett and a DB in the first and another DB and a C in the second and I wouldn't be unhappy. We do need a starting C, even if Reiter makes the roster next season.