Draft Talk
-
Allen is your 3/4 tech and can play some 5 in certain looks.
Calling him a DE in a similar mold of Garrett would be schematically and athletically incorrect.
-
If you want an edge rusher not named Garrett, then you go with Bama's Tim Williams before you went with Allen. Or Maybe Lawson from Auburn.
-
-
Allen is your 3/4 tech and can play some 5 in certain looks.
Calling him a DE in a similar mold of Garrett would be schematically and athletically incorrect.
Allen is your 3/4 tech and can play some 5 in certain looks.
Calling him a DE in a similar mold of Garrett would be schematically and athletically incorrect.
Tape I just watched of allen he looks damn good coming in from the 9. Yeah the 5 would seem like a decent fit too but the 3? He'd have to get up over 300 for that. I like the idea of an athletic 285-290 lb DE
-
Right now allen is my choice for pass rusher if thats what we go for with the top pick. Then maybe we can finally say good bye to the 3-4 except as sub package
You like 295ers in the 4-3? The only move Allen has that would work on the edge is the bull rush. And that is unlikely to work in the NFL in 1.5 seconds like it does for him now. If you made him your DE in a 4-3, we'd be sitting here in a year continuing to lament the fact that all our DEs and LBs are "specialty guys." If you're going with J. Allen, stick him at DE, and figure out once and for all whether Ogbah is an OLB or DE. Stop switching him.
You like 295ers in the 4-3? The only move Allen has that would work on the edge is the bull rush. And that is unlikely to work in the NFL in 1.5 seconds like it does for him now. If you made him your DE in a 4-3, we'd be sitting here in a year continuing to lament the fact that all our DEs and LBs are "specialty guys." If you're going with J. Allen, stick him at DE, and figure out once and for all whether Ogbah is an OLB or DE. Stop switching him.
I can see Allen inside a 4-3 paired with Danny shading the Center's shoulder... kind of a thunder and lightening interior. He could be Aaron Donald-ish inside. But agree that 3-4 DE is his best position.
Without seeing less behind that o line and having zeke behind him I couldn't be 100%. Yes eye test certainly looks better but again, after a couple free shots from primary front line rushers does dak look the same?
Same? No, but he has escapability that Kess doesn't have.... and he could add a true, read-option edge threat that Hogan only pulled off in one, surprise appearance. I thought Dak could be another Russell Wilson and that's what I see.
And Dak is built to take those free shots better than any Browns QB since... Otto? Or at least since Quinn the muscle-puppy...
-
Allen is your 3/4 tech and can play some 5 in certain looks.
Calling him a DE in a similar mold of Garrett would be schematically and athletically incorrect.
Tape I just watched of allen he looks damn good coming in from the 9. Yeah the 5 would seem like a decent fit too but the 3? He'd have to get up over 300 for that. I like the idea of an athletic 285-290 lb DE
decent fit too but the 3? He'd have to get up over 300 for that. I like the idea of an athletic 285-290 lb DE
I guess you've never watched Aaron Donald.
-
Ok, he is no Aaron Donald.
-
Aaron Donald btw. Now THAT is a baller.
Man...if only.
-
Aaron Donald btw. Now THAT is a baller.
Man...if only.
Aaron Donald btw. Now THAT is a baller.
Man...if only.
Gilbert instead

-
Ok, he is no Aaron Donald.
Right. But the first step quickness and violent hands are very similar. It's extremely hard to account for interior pressure on a QB.
Go look at some of the best Dlines in the NFL and you'll find interior players with high pressure counts.
-
-
Aaron Donald btw. Now THAT is a baller.
Man...if only.
Gilbert instead

Gilbert instead

Lord...I think I just threw up. That pick above all else still haunts us today. Yes, the Manziel pick devastated us severely, and continues to do so, but that Gilbert pick just cut us to the bone. How bad do we need a solid CB right now? And at #8, you're hoping for MORE than just "solid". It was considered a "good pick" at the time, and many other teams coveted Gilbert. It wasn't a reach...it was just a bad pick.
How do you guys feel about us trading the pick? I'm kind of at the point where I don't CARE what the trade offer is, I want to pick where we're at, and not move anywhere. I just feel like the trading down hasn't netted us the results we're looking for, and maybe we need the highest possible caliber player available. There is no "unanimous" number one QB prospect, but that could very easily change as the draft approaches. Remember when Bridgewater was the #1 pick all year, and then had a subpar pro day and all of the sudden he wasn't what people wanted? Was Carson Wentz on the radar last year in November? Possibly, but I doubt it. My guess is that Mitch Trubisky will skyrocket up the board, and will cement the status as the #1 pick...or at least the #1 QB. He's got the appropriate size, solid mobility, and other intangibles. Perhaps teams will become enamored with the physical prowess of Kizer, or the flair of Watson, but my vote is Mitch.
-
Trubisky is Mcshays and Kipers #1 qb currently
Watson's value has pretty much been killed by RG3 to be fair RG3 has set back most "Athletic" QB's for years after his draft.
I think we should take Mitch Aslong as he continues to show himself as a the top QB Available. But we wont do that. We'll trade down a little bit take a highly rated DE and then Watson and then hopefully a linemen -
Trubisky is Mcshays and Kipers #1 qb currently
Watson's value has pretty much been killed by RG3 to be fair RG3 has set back most "Athletic" QB's for years after his draft.
I think we should take Mitch Aslong as he continues to show himself as a the top QB Available. But we wont do that. We'll trade down a little bit take a highly rated DE and then Watson and then hopefully a linemenWatson's value has pretty much been killed by RG3 to be fair RG3 has set back most "Athletic" QB's for years after his draft.
Not true in the least.
-
Similar is the operative word...
There has always been a place in the NFL for the slightly undersized, quick, strong DT... especially lined up next to an anchorsaurus.
-
Similar is the operative word...
There has always been a place in the NFL for the slightly undersized, quick, strong DT... especially lined up next to an anchorsaurus.
-
PFF has us taking Mason Rudolph from Oklahoma State with our second pick in the first. First pick? Allen, Alabama.. can't disagree.
My problem with Rudolph? We already took a guy from oklahoma state with our second pick in the first. Yep, Brandon Weeden. And I think we know how that turned out. Also, Rudolph hasn't declared yet for the draft, so there's that little detail.
Nope, I'm shutting down this Rudolph talk right now. I need him, and Washington, back in Stillwater to make our run next year.PFF has us taking Mason Rudolph from Oklahoma State with our second pick in the first. First pick? Allen, Alabama.. can't disagree.
My problem with Rudolph? We already took a guy from oklahoma state with our second pick in the first. Yep, Brandon Weeden. And I think we know how that turned out. Also, Rudolph hasn't declared yet for the draft, so there's that little detail.
Since you guys are obviously dying for a poke, check out Chris Carson. He'd be a late round flier but the dude breaks tackles and always seems to get stronger as the game wears on.
Edit: In the interest of not being a total homer, I'm not positive Carson knows how to catch, especially today, so he probably won't be a three down back.
-
I still remember Bill Belichick thinking and saying he likes to prioritize the middle of his defense when he selected Eric Turner at #2 overall. That idea produced so many fond memories to follow such as shutting out NE's go-to guy Ben Coates in the playoffs the day we won our last playoff game. I've seen other defenses draft Safeties in the first round like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Sean Taylor, Pollyneedsahaircut and Ed Reed which never made me question the wisdom.
If Garrett is a sure thing off the edge and he's relentless - getting him at #1 and then landing Malik Hooker with our other first round pick would be a great start in 2017.
-
I still remember Bill Belichick thinking and saying he likes to prioritize the middle of his defense when he selected Eric Turner at #2 overall. That idea produced so many fond memories to follow such as shutting out NE's go-to guy Ben Coates in the playoffs the day we won our last playoff game. I've seen other defenses draft Safeties in the first round like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Sean Taylor, Pollyneedsahaircut and Ed Reed which never made me question the wisdom.
If Garrett is a sure thing off the edge and he's relentless - getting him at #1 and then landing Malik Hooker with our other first round pick would be a great start in 2017.
If we can score Garrett and Hooker in 2017 OH MY!!!I still remember Bill Belichick thinking and saying he likes to prioritize the middle of his defense when he selected Eric Turner at #2 overall. That idea produced so many fond memories to follow such as shutting out NE's go-to guy Ben Coates in the playoffs the day we won our last playoff game. I've seen other defenses draft Safeties in the first round like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Sean Taylor, Pollyneedsahaircut and Ed Reed which never made me question the wisdom.
If Garrett is a sure thing off the edge and he's relentless - getting him at #1 and then landing Malik Hooker with our other first round pick would be a great start in 2017.
-
If we can score Garrett and Hooker in 2017 OH MY!!!I still remember Bill Belichick thinking and saying he likes to prioritize the middle of his defense when he selected Eric Turner at #2 overall. That idea produced so many fond memories to follow such as shutting out NE's go-to guy Ben Coates in the playoffs the day we won our last playoff game. I've seen other defenses draft Safeties in the first round like Earl Thomas, Eric Berry, Sean Taylor, Pollyneedsahaircut and Ed Reed which never made me question the wisdom.
If Garrett is a sure thing off the edge and he's relentless - getting him at #1 and then landing Malik Hooker with our other first round pick would be a great start in 2017.
If we can score Garrett and Hooker in 2017 OH MY!!!
Garrett with 4.5 sacks today against UTSA and says he is almost back to form, not as painful as it has been most of the season.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login