Browns/Eagles Game Predictions
-
Looks like a Whoville.You want creepy, look at my new one. A kid pretending to be MVB.
Maybe your next Halloween costume.
-
You want creepy, look at my new one. A kid pretending to be MVB.
Maybe your next Halloween costume.
Yes Gipper you've got to get rid of that worse than creepy looking thing......I wouldn't even want to see that on my porch on Halloween. Nasty.
-
Not this time friends. browns will take the season opener with ease 41-27 giving up a touchdown in garbage time. RG3 will start the season like he was shot out of a cannon and the Crow will have 127 yards with 3 tds (2 of them from 1 yard out) and after having a awful injured year, Haden will have a pk 6 in the 3rd quarter (first Eagles drive after halftime.
-
35? 31? 30? Against a middle of the pack D? "Delusion becomes you much"-Yoda
NFL Network is reporting this morning that Wentz's ability too read all three levels of D is what got him the job,allowing them to trade Bradford. He has orders not to try to win the Superbowl when he runs and slide quickly rather than go for the extra yard or two. All the commentators were saying the Eagles-Browns game is the one to watch this weekend.
-
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense for the Eagles to play Wentz. They have around $11 million in GUARANTEED money to Chase Daniels, so he's not going anywhere. Eagles were very high on him, and Daniels has taken some first team reps and done some good things in preseason. He knows how to study a weekly game plan, and he has NFL experience. Wentz was hurt in the FIRST preseason game, and didn't especially look amazing in limited action. He promptly got injured, something he's struggled with, and very recently came back to the field and is now thrust into the starting role.
How much can a rookie absorb in one week of practice with the ones? I mean, it's crazy right? I know you want to get your prized rookie onto the field, but if you're the Eagles, you have to look at this game against the Browns as the most winnable game on the schedule. Seems like you'd want to maximize your team's chances to start the year off with a win, and definitely start the veteran.
I'm thinking the Eagles are looking at the Browns as a very weak opponent, and they believe they can get their rookie experience and STILL win the game. They're going to try (and probably succeed) running the ball, and then using play-action short passes to nickel and dime us to death. It's one thing to bring a rookie QB in during minicamp and OTA's, establish him as the starter, and then work him to death in the preseason to get him acclimated to the NFL game. But to throw a rookie in with basically NONE of that? It's crazy.
So this is a prediction thread, and I don't have a clue what to say. This game is completely bizarre, and there's a very good chance that this game could quite possibly be the ugliest match up we've seen in a while...and THAT'S saying something. Remember that game we won in Buffalo that had like 347 punts? Yeah, we won that game in an offensive explosion 6-3. There's a chance we see something similar this weekend.
Browns will have a good chance to run the ball this week because I don't think we're going to be down early. How many games last year started out with us getting behind and not being able to run as much as we'd like because we needed points? A ton, right? I don't see that happening this game, and we'll have every opportunity to establish the run. Problem is, the Eagles are not going to try and hide the fact that they will be stacking the box with 8 defenders whenever possible. They will basically dare us to beat them with the pass, and if we DO get the running game cooking, I'm guessing we set up the run with the pass. We hit a few nice pass plays and force the Eagles to respect the air game, and we might just get that ground game rocking.
I want to predict a Browns victory, I really do. Problem is, it's a season opener and we all know how we do with THOSE. And just because Wentz starts the game, doesn't mean the Eagles won't bench him if he looks to be in over his head. Doug Pederson has said over and over how strong Wentz is mentally, so he won't be worried about "damaging" his young QB by benching him. I just can't pull the trigger on a Browns win...can't do it. I think Eagles win a close game, but a very ugly game. If it was in Cleveland, I might go the other way, but it's not.
Eagles - 24
Browns - 17
-
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense for the Eagles to play Wentz. They have around $11 million in GUARANTEED money to Chase Daniels, so he's not going anywhere. Eagles were very high on him, and Daniels has taken some first team reps and done some good things in preseason. He knows how to study a weekly game plan, and he has NFL experience. Wentz was hurt in the FIRST preseason game, and didn't especially look amazing in limited action. He promptly got injured, something he's struggled with, and very recently came back to the field and is now thrust into the starting role.
How much can a rookie absorb in one week of practice with the ones? I mean, it's crazy right? I know you want to get your prized rookie onto the field, but if you're the Eagles, you have to look at this game against the Browns as the most winnable game on the schedule. Seems like you'd want to maximize your team's chances to start the year off with a win, and definitely start the veteran.
I'm thinking the Eagles are looking at the Browns as a very weak opponent, and they believe they can get their rookie experience and STILL win the game. They're going to try (and probably succeed) running the ball, and then using play-action short passes to nickel and dime us to death. It's one thing to bring a rookie QB in during minicamp and OTA's, establish him as the starter, and then work him to death in the preseason to get him acclimated to the NFL game. But to throw a rookie in with basically NONE of that? It's crazy.
So this is a prediction thread, and I don't have a clue what to say. This game is completely bizarre, and there's a very good chance that this game could quite possibly be the ugliest match up we've seen in a while...and THAT'S saying something. Remember that game we won in Buffalo that had like 347 punts? Yeah, we won that game in an offensive explosion 6-3. There's a chance we see something similar this weekend.
Browns will have a good chance to run the ball this week because I don't think we're going to be down early. How many games last year started out with us getting behind and not being able to run as much as we'd like because we needed points? A ton, right? I don't see that happening this game, and we'll have every opportunity to establish the run. Problem is, the Eagles are not going to try and hide the fact that they will be stacking the box with 8 defenders whenever possible. They will basically dare us to beat them with the pass, and if we DO get the running game cooking, I'm guessing we set up the run with the pass. We hit a few nice pass plays and force the Eagles to respect the air game, and we might just get that ground game rocking.
I want to predict a Browns victory, I really do. Problem is, it's a season opener and we all know how we do with THOSE. And just because Wentz starts the game, doesn't mean the Eagles won't bench him if he looks to be in over his head. Doug Pederson has said over and over how strong Wentz is mentally, so he won't be worried about "damaging" his young QB by benching him. I just can't pull the trigger on a Browns win...can't do it. I think Eagles win a close game, but a very ugly game. If it was in Cleveland, I might go the other way, but it's not.
Eagles - 24
Browns - 17
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense for the Eagles to play Wentz.
Browns will have a good chance to run the ball this week because I don't think we're going to be down early. How many games last year started out with us getting behind and not being able to run as much as we'd like because we needed points? A ton, right? I don't see that happening this game, and we'll have every opportunity to establish the run. Problem is, the Eagles are not going to try and hide the fact that they will be stacking the box with 8 defenders whenever possible. They will basically dare us to beat them with the pass, and if we DO get the running game cooking, I'm guessing we set up the run with the pass. We hit a few nice pass plays and force the Eagles to respect the air game, and we might just get that ground game rocking.
I want to predict a Browns victory, I really do. Problem is, it's a season opener and we all know how we do with THOSE. And just because Wentz starts the game, doesn't mean the Eagles won't bench him if he looks to be in over his head.
Really nice analysis...
I'll add that the Eagles have an established D that was simply put on the field too much last year by Chip Kelly's high-paced, misfiring Offense. Loosening them up with the pass will require us to take a different tact than they will need to take to loosen us up. Namely I think we have to stretch the field early.
The other thing I'll mention is I think it is important for us to rattle Wentz early. If he makes it to halftime with "decent" stats and no Pick-6 scale, self-inflicted wounds, then I think he gets stronger in the second half.
-
The more I think about it, the less it makes sense for the Eagles to play Wentz.
Browns will have a good chance to run the ball this week because I don't think we're going to be down early. How many games last year started out with us getting behind and not being able to run as much as we'd like because we needed points? A ton, right? I don't see that happening this game, and we'll have every opportunity to establish the run. Problem is, the Eagles are not going to try and hide the fact that they will be stacking the box with 8 defenders whenever possible. They will basically dare us to beat them with the pass, and if we DO get the running game cooking, I'm guessing we set up the run with the pass. We hit a few nice pass plays and force the Eagles to respect the air game, and we might just get that ground game rocking.
I want to predict a Browns victory, I really do. Problem is, it's a season opener and we all know how we do with THOSE. And just because Wentz starts the game, doesn't mean the Eagles won't bench him if he looks to be in over his head.
Really nice analysis...
I'll add that the Eagles have an established D that was simply put on the field too much last year by Chip Kelly's high-paced, misfiring Offense. Loosening them up with the pass will require us to take a different tact than they will need to take to loosen us up. Namely I think we have to stretch the field early.
The other thing I'll mention is I think it is important for us to rattle Wentz early. If he makes it to halftime with "decent" stats and no Pick-6 scale, self-inflicted wounds, then I think he gets stronger in the second half.
Really nice analysis...
I'll add that the Eagles have an established D that was simply put on the field too much last year by Chip Kelly's high-paced, misfiring Offense. Loosening them up with the pass will require us to take a different tact than they will need to take to loosen us up. Namely I think we have to stretch the field early.
The other thing I'll mention is I think it is important for us to rattle Wentz early. If he makes it to halftime with "decent" stats and no Pick-6 scale, self-inflicted wounds, then I think he gets stronger in the second half.
So we need to steal the A&M gameplan against UCLA's Rosen, rattle him early and often with multiple disguised blitzes. Sounds good on paper anyway.
-
Really nice analysis...
I'll add that the Eagles have an established D that was simply put on the field too much last year by Chip Kelly's high-paced, misfiring Offense. Loosening them up with the pass will require us to take a different tact than they will need to take to loosen us up. Namely I think we have to stretch the field early.
The other thing I'll mention is I think it is important for us to rattle Wentz early. If he makes it to halftime with "decent" stats and no Pick-6 scale, self-inflicted wounds, then I think he gets stronger in the second half.
So we need to steal the A&M gameplan against UCLA's Rosen, rattle him early and often with multiple disguised blitzes. Sounds good on paper anyway.
So we need to steal the A&M gameplan against UCLA's Rosen, rattle him early and often with multiple disguised blitzes. Sounds good on paper anyway.
lol... Maroon solves everything...

-
What really scares me is the game will come down to our defense stopping the run. We get them in consistent 3rd and longs, and I like our chances. Rookie QB's starting week 1 generally have poor results. There are ALWAYS exceptions, and Mariotta comes to mind last year. He absolutely blew up against Winston and the Bucs, only to have his ass handed to him by our team in the next game. Mariotta and Winston were named starters right away, and they had WAY more time with the starters than Wentz will have with his team.
This is the time when you just wish to the high heavens that you had some verified sack artists on your team. Wentz wasn't strong at scanning the field and making quick decisions, and making the jump from division two to the NFL is bananas. There will be times when he has to take a 5 step drop, and SOMEBODY has to make his life miserable on our team. Nassib, Ogbah, Schobert...SOMEBODY. We have to make the clock tick faster in his head and force him into either taking the dump off, or forcing something deep. Honestly, if you guys play "Draft Kings" or any other fantasy football money sites, I would greatly consider starting the Browns defense this week. This could be the only week I recommend that, but they are cheap and could yield tremendous results. There will be blitzes this weekend that Wentz hasn't seen before. Very similar to what we did against Mariotta. We all know how Horton likes to come after guys, but I seriously hopes he employs a balanced attack. Rookie or not, if Wentz knows a blitz is coming, he'll be able to locate the single coverage and throw it deep on us. Rushing 3 on third and long could yield positive results as well. Make him fit the ball into tight spaces, and don't flush him out of the pocket. This guy is mobile, and will be looking to run if protection breaks down. Ray Horton...if you're listening...DON'T BLITZ ON EVERY 3RD DOWN.
Something else that comes to mind is tackling. I expect Wentz to throw a shitload of short passes in hopes that his receiver breaks a tackle and gets YAC. We haven't displayed the ability to tackle well this preseason, and guys like Sproles could make our lives freaking miserable. We miss tackles, and we lose. It's that simple.
-
The thing that I'm clinging to, with the expectations of a run heavy game plan from Philly, is that their backs aren't exactly Peterson, Gurley, or Bell. Ryan Matthews is the main guy, and he's basically done nothing.
-
So we need to steal the A&M gameplan against UCLA's Rosen, rattle him early and often with multiple disguised blitzes. Sounds good on paper anyway.
lol... Maroon solves everything...

-
Or a moron in maroon solves everything.

Cleveland Browns draft strategy, circa 2014.
-
I think we have a chance, but it's hard to predict. Defense will probably get rolled on by a mediocre offense.
Browns: 27
Eagles: 24
-
I think calling the Eagles' offense "mediocre" is a stretch...possibly a big one. Think about starting a division 2 rookie QB that only played in the first preseason game and didn't take ANY first team reps until 3 days ago. Now, the QB is just ONE POSITION, but it's a pretty big part of the equation. They have decent receivers, good TE's, a good OL, solid RB's, and Sproles is always dangerous, but everything keeps going back to the QB....
I know this will sound absolutely nuts, but here it goes. I think the reason the Browns lose this game is because it would just HURT that much. Imagine the headline, "Cleveland Browns lose to a rookie QB who just started practicing on Monday with the starters and hasn't played since week 1 of the preseason. Oh, and it's the same QB they passed on with the second pick."
It just makes WAAAAAAY too much sense for us to lose. LOL. Oh, and it's a season opener, so that alone screws us royally.
In all seriousness, the stars couldn't align any better for our beleaguered team to actually win a season opener. Not only that, but if we win, we help our draft order for next year. Look at the numbers for rookie starting QB's, and look especially at their wins-losses. The vast majority of rookie QB's have terrible records. This Eagles' pick could be VERY high...
-
I think calling the Eagles' offense "mediocre" is a stretch...possibly a big one. Think about starting a division 2 rookie QB that only played in the first preseason game and didn't take ANY first team reps until 3 days ago. Now, the QB is just ONE POSITION, but it's a pretty big part of the equation. They have decent receivers, good TE's, a good OL, solid RB's, and Sproles is always dangerous, but everything keeps going back to the QB....
I know this will sound absolutely nuts, but here it goes. I think the reason the Browns lose this game is because it would just HURT that much. Imagine the headline, "Cleveland Browns lose to a rookie QB who just started practicing on Monday with the starters and hasn't played since week 1 of the preseason. Oh, and it's the same QB they passed on with the second pick."
It just makes WAAAAAAY too much sense for us to lose. LOL. Oh, and it's a season opener, so that alone screws us royally.
In all seriousness, the stars couldn't align any better for our beleaguered team to actually win a season opener. Not only that, but if we win, we help our draft order for next year. Look at the numbers for rookie starting QB's, and look especially at their wins-losses. The vast majority of rookie QB's have terrible records. This Eagles' pick could be VERY high...
I think calling the Eagles' offense "mediocre" is a stretch...possibly a big one. Think about starting a division 2 rookie QB that only played in the first preseason game and didn't take ANY first team reps until 3 days ago. Now, the QB is just ONE POSITION, but it's a pretty big part of the equation. They have decent receivers, good TE's, a good OL, solid RB's, and Sproles is always dangerous, but everything keeps going back to the QB....
I know this will sound absolutely nuts, but here it goes. I think the reason the Browns lose this game is because it would just HURT that much. Imagine the headline, "Cleveland Browns lose to a rookie QB who just started practicing on Monday with the starters and hasn't played since week 1 of the preseason. Oh, and it's the same QB they passed on with the second pick."
It just makes WAAAAAAY too much sense for us to lose. LOL. Oh, and it's a season opener, so that alone screws us royally.
In all seriousness, the stars couldn't align any better for our beleaguered team to actually win a season opener. Not only that, but if we win, we help our draft order for next year. Look at the numbers for rookie starting QB's, and look especially at their wins-losses. The vast majority of rookie QB's have terrible records. This Eagles' pick could be VERY high...
If the Browns lose this game it will be because their defense is just bad at this point and will not be able to handle the constant running by the Eagles.
-
Yeah, that's pretty much it. Stopping the run and tackling on the short passes...that plus the turnover battle will determine this game.
I've heard/read so many analysts that really aren't giving the Browns a chance to win this game, and that's kind of funny to me. I obviously understand that our team isn't a juggernaut of talent, but let's not pretend that the Eagles are 85 Bears either. We could very easily rattle this young QB and stomp their asses into the ground. As I've said over and over, my biggest concern from a schematic standpoint is Ray Horton getting blitz happy and leaving our subpar secondary exposed.
It doesn't get much better boys, not for an opener. As much as we completely and HISTORICALLY suck in first games, this is the one that has me licking my chops the most. The thought of actually winning our first game is enough to make me go bananas.
I actually started Crowell in my fantasy league this week. It's pretty risky, but I figure the Browns will have at least four trips to the red zone. Crow figures to get several chances to punch it in, and I'd LOVE to see that happen.
-
If someone tells the rookies that the Browns own the longest active streak of opening day losses, maybe they'll be fired up and win! Right now the streak is 11 and hopefully it stops on Sunday.
If someone tells the rookies that the Browns own the longest active streak of opening day losses, maybe they'll be fired up and win! Right now the streak is 11 and hopefully it stops on Sunday.
It'd be nice for a change.
Got a feeling a lot of teams will be upset for not jumpin on the chance to draft wentz. Not saying he'll beat us sunday or he'll be a pro-bowler this year BUT......
-
I think calling the Eagles' offense "mediocre" is a stretch...possibly a big one. Think about starting a division 2 rookie QB that only played in the first preseason game and didn't take ANY first team reps until 3 days ago. Now, the QB is just ONE POSITION, but it's a pretty big part of the equation. They have decent receivers, good TE's, a good OL, solid RB's, and Sproles is always dangerous, but everything keeps going back to the QB....
I know this will sound absolutely nuts, but here it goes. I think the reason the Browns lose this game is because it would just HURT that much. Imagine the headline, "Cleveland Browns lose to a rookie QB who just started practicing on Monday with the starters and hasn't played since week 1 of the preseason. Oh, and it's the same QB they passed on with the second pick."
It just makes WAAAAAAY too much sense for us to lose. LOL. Oh, and it's a season opener, so that alone screws us royally.
In all seriousness, the stars couldn't align any better for our beleaguered team to actually win a season opener. Not only that, but if we win, we help our draft order for next year. Look at the numbers for rookie starting QB's, and look especially at their wins-losses. The vast majority of rookie QB's have terrible records. This Eagles' pick could be VERY high...
To make Wentz comfortable, the Eagle's OC is running his college offensive scheme.I think calling the Eagles' offense "mediocre" is a stretch...possibly a big one. Think about starting a division 2 rookie QB that only played in the first preseason game and didn't take ANY first team reps until 3 days ago.
The Browns D will need to rattle Wentz's cage early and often, that would be enough to squeak out a win.
The young'uns will shine on D and RGIII returns to his rookie form
Browns - 28
Iggles - 27
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login