Heisman Trophy watch
-
Give it four games and I'm sure most of that depth will go away.
Its what they do in the really big games that will matter. This coming week is not a week for anyone to distinguish themselves....as a lot of these teams are playing the Little Sisters of the Poor:
Houston vs. Lamar Ward
Georgia vs. Nichols St.....Chubb
FSU vs. Charleston Southern....Cook
Clemson vs. Troy....Watson
Oklahoma vs. Louisiana-Monroe....Mayfield
LSU vs. Jacksonville St.....Fournette
Ole Miss vs. Wofford....Kelly
A couple may have some tough matchups:
Louisville vs. Syracuse....Jackson
OSU vs. Tulsa.....Barrett
Baylor vs. SMU....Russell
Oregon vs. Virginia.....Freeman
-
Heisman Trophy watch after week 2:
Barrett 149 pass yards 1 TD, 55 rush yards 2 TDs
Watson 292 pass yds, 1 TD
Dalvin Cook: 83 rush yards 2 TDs
Ward: out with injury
Chubb 80 rushing yards, 1 TD
Mayfield 244 pass yards 3 TDs
Fournette: 2 carries, 1 yard (this is what was in the boxscore I saw on ESPN website)
Chad Kelly: 219 pass yards, 3 TDs
Seth Russell 261 pass yards 2 TDs
McCaffrey did not play (no game)
Royce Freeman 207 rush yards 2 TDs
Lamar Jackson 411 passing yards 1 TD 199 rush yards 4 TDs
The leader of this race so far, in my opinion, is clearly Lamar Jackson. He was one rushing yard short of being the first person ever in D-1 level history to pass for 400+ yards and gain 200 yards rushing. And his effort did not come against those lesser cupcake opponents, it game vs. conference foe Syracuse.
So, top 3 this week
Lamar Jackson
Royce Freeman
??? maybe Baker Mayfield.
As far as overall leader, I think Jackson has vaulted himself into that position. Watson is still up there. Barrett I think maintains his spot.
Not sure what the deal is with Fournette. He had an ankle sprain that kept him out against a cupcake. It doesn't help. Chubb being held to 80 yards vs. Nichols St. in a close game does not help. These guys fall back a bit.
-
This USA Today site basically agrees with me:
Though, they have McCaffrey in top 5 even though he didn't play. And, they have this RB from San Diego St. up there. A guy that I don't think has otherwise been considered.
-
Lamar is definitely in the lead. Kid is a stud.
-
Peppers is now 5th on some CBS Sports Heisman Watch Lists (6th overall), 5th on SIs list, and 5th on USA Todays list.
-
Peppers is now 5th on some CBS Sports Heisman Watch Lists (6th overall), 5th on SIs list, and 5th on USA Todays list.
Peppers is now 5th on some CBS Sports Heisman Watch Lists (6th overall), 5th on SIs list, and 5th on USA Todays list.
Without going through all the stats of all the candidates clearly these players had the best games (from a team stand)
Lamar Jackson...almost obliterated FSU single handedly. He would have a vast lead at this point.
JT Barrett.....responsible for 5 TDs vs. OK.
Chubb
McCaffrey.....165 rush yards vs. USC
Nick Chubb...had a good game vs. decent competition.
-
Oh yeah, I'm not saying Peppers is leading or anything. Just that he's getting some buzz.
Jackson has to be way out in front right now.
-
A defender won't win unless he plays offense/special teams as well.
I'm surprised Meyer kept Barrett in as long as he did. Maybe he just wanted him to get the stats.
I'm surprised UM kept him in as long as he did in all three games so far, maybe the first two to get ready for OKL and get the very young team ready in general but that third game was way over before UM pulled him.A defender won't win unless he plays offense/special teams as well.
I'm surprised Meyer kept Barrett in as long as he did. Maybe he just wanted him to get the stats.
Plus OSU has a bye this week before the B10 and other conferences start for real....serious business time, rah, rah, rah.

-
Oh yeah, I'm not saying Peppers is leading or anything. Just that he's getting some buzz.
Jackson has to be way out in front right now.
Oh yeah, I'm not saying Peppers is leading or anything. Just that he's getting some buzz.
Jackson has to be way out in front right now.
At this point, in the actual voting Peppers may not appear in top ten.
Peppers has some kick returns, but OSU DBs Marshon Lattimore and Malik Hooker have been playing better defense.
-
Oh yeah, I'm not saying Peppers is leading or anything. Just that he's getting some buzz.
Jackson has to be way out in front right now.
At this point, in the actual voting Peppers may not appear in top ten.
Peppers has some kick returns, but OSU DBs Marshon Lattimore and Malik Hooker have been playing better defense.
At this point, in the actual voting Peppers may not appear in top ten.
Peppers has some kick returns, but OSU DBs Marshon Lattimore and Malik Hooker have been playing better defense.
... Based on what? Your opinion?
- why would Peppers be considered 5th by analysts but not in the top ten for voting?
- why do you think the OSU DBs are playing better? FYI, Peppers isn't even a DB.
....
-
At this point, in the actual voting Peppers may not appear in top ten.
Peppers has some kick returns, but OSU DBs Marshon Lattimore and Malik Hooker have been playing better defense.
... Based on what? Your opinion?
- why would Peppers be considered 5th by analysts but not in the top ten for voting?
- why do you think the OSU DBs are playing better? FYI, Peppers isn't even a DB.
....
... Based on what? Your opinion?
Performance.
- why would Peppers be considered 5th by analysts but not in the top ten for voting?
Analysts are not voters, FYI. While maybe Peppers and other deserve consideration,they won't get it because they play defense
- why do you think the OSU DBs are playing better? FYI, Peppers isn't even a DB.
Peppers is listed as a safety. Last time I looked a safety was considered a Defensive Back.
And OSU players are nabbing lots of Ints., lots over coverage breakups...even some sacks. You know...the things they measure DBs by.
....
-
Peppers technically plays LB.
You say "performance". Have you even watched a Michigan game? Peppers is currently leading the nation in TFL. Yes, he returned a punt for a TD, but he's being doing a ton on defense. So you just say "performance" without actually knowing what you're talking about I'm guessing.
You don't think the CFB analysts know what they're doing on their watchlists?
This is just another example of you thinking something based on only your opinion, anecdotal evidence and a lack of facts and then parading it around like It's the truth. You do it a lot.
-
Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.
-
Peppers technically plays LB.
You say "performance". Have you even watched a Michigan game? Peppers is currently leading the nation in TFL. Yes, he returned a punt for a TD, but he's being doing a ton on defense. So you just say "performance" without actually knowing what you're talking about I'm guessing.
You don't think the CFB analysts know what they're doing on their watchlists?
This is just another example of you thinking something based on only your opinion, anecdotal evidence and a lack of facts and then parading it around like It's the truth. You do it a lot.
Peppers technically plays LB.
You say "performance". Have you even watched a Michigan game? Peppers is currently leading the nation in TFL. Yes, he returned a punt for a TD, but he's being doing a ton on defense. So you just say "performance" without actually knowing what you're talking about I'm guessing.
TFL? Tackles for loss. I was saying performance as a DB. The OSU DBs have been performing outstandingly.(THEY are leading the nation in their appropriate categories) If Peppers is playing LB that may be a different matter. I was talking in terms of interceptions and coverager breakups. It seems that if Peppers is playing LB then he has far more duties to rush the passer and stop the run than he would as a DB.
If he is playing LB...then why can't the UM guides list him as that?
And, no, I haven't seen but snippets of Michigan games. They have been played at the same time as OSU games....or much better games to watch.
I have seen highlights only of Peppers on the recap shows....because I have had better things to do or watch.
You don't think the CFB analysts know what they're doing on their watchlists?
Perhaps they do...but that does not mean he will get actual Heisman votes.
This is just another example of you thinking something based on only your opinion, anecdotal evidence and a lack of facts and then parading it around like It's the truth. You do it a lot.
Truth....you have no better idea than I what the fucking "truth" will be.
And here are a few truths from years and years of watching Heisman Trophy races, going as far back as when Roger Staubach won it in 1964:
It is primarily an offensive position award. Only like one ever primary defensive player won it (your boy Woodson)...and that only because he returned a lot of kicks for TDs. If there are not many viable offensive candidates then a defensive player will get some run. But that is not the case this year. There are at least a half dozen viable offensive Heisman Trophy candidates.
Those are actual fucking facts that you may not recognize even if they came up an hit you with a two by for..
-
Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.
Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.
The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.
Just figure out which fucking position he would play.
At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.
I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.
But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.
Fair to say?
-
I'll go on record now....Christian McCaffrey will win the Heisman (barring injury). My opinion, but whether or not he wins it, I would LOVE to see that kid with the Browns when he's in the draft.
Mike
I'll go on record now....Christian McCaffrey will win the Heisman (barring injury). My opinion, but whether or not he wins it, I would LOVE to see that kid with the Browns when he's in the draft.
Mike
wasn't touchdown tommy vardel from Stanford ? just say NO to white running backs
-
Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.
The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.
Just figure out which fucking position he would play.
At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.
I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.
But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.
Fair to say?
The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.
Just figure out which fucking position he would play.
At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.
I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.
But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.
Fair to say?
That issue with him playing safety is that his deep range and coverage has been spotty. As it stands I don't see a top 10 caliber safety. The physical gifts are there but that's the least of my concerns at that spot.
-
Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.
The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.
Just figure out which fucking position he would play.
At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.
I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.
But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.
Fair to say?
The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.
Just figure out which fucking position he would play.
At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.
I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.
But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.
Fair to say?
If all the weight stuff is correct, Shazier has an inch and 20 lbs on Pepppers. So you're right that he'd probably be a small NFL LB. I've seen him pegged as a SS, which makes a lot of sense. You still need coverage ability, but you're attacking the LOS more.
Really it would take a talented, creative DC to get the most out of him in the NFL. Near the end of his time in Green Bay, Woodson was playing every position but DL on the defense (not meaning to make a direct Woodson / Peppers comparison, its just a good example). Nickleback is also become a more important position. So who knows. NFL offenses are getting more spread out, more pass happy. A hybrid space player like Peppers could be huge.
-
The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.
Just figure out which fucking position he would play.
At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.
I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.
But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.
Fair to say?
That issue with him playing safety is that his deep range and coverage has been spotty. As it stands I don't see a top 10 caliber safety. The physical gifts are there but that's the least of my concerns at that spot.
That issue with him playing safety is that his deep range and coverage has been spotty. As it stands I don't see a top 10 caliber safety. The physical gifts are there but that's the least of my concerns at that spot.
We've asked Peppers to play 3 defensive positions in 3 years (the 1st was CB, and he was hurt most of the year). On top of the special teams and offensive roles. It is a great way to showcase all of his abilities, and he's excelled at pretty much all of them, but it probably isn't the best way to really master certain aspects. If an NFL DC wanted him as a Safety or CB, and he focused on that, I'm guessing he could get much better at the coverage aspect.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login