Skip to content

Heisman Trophy watch

College Football Forum
66 8 3.2k
  • Oh yeah, I'm not saying Peppers is leading or anything. Just that he's getting some buzz.

    Jackson has to be way out in front right now.

  • A defender won't win unless he plays offense/special teams as well.

    I'm surprised Meyer kept Barrett in as long as he did. Maybe he just wanted him to get the stats.

    @mld-woody said:

    A defender won't win unless he plays offense/special teams as well.

    I'm surprised Meyer kept Barrett in as long as he did. Maybe he just wanted him to get the stats.

    I'm surprised UM kept him in as long as he did in all three games so far, maybe the first two to get ready for OKL and get the very young team ready in general but that third game was way over before UM pulled him.

    Plus OSU has a bye this week before the B10 and other conferences start for real....serious business time, rah, rah, rah. 😉

  • Oh yeah, I'm not saying Peppers is leading or anything. Just that he's getting some buzz.

    Jackson has to be way out in front right now.

    @mld-woody said:

    Oh yeah, I'm not saying Peppers is leading or anything. Just that he's getting some buzz.

    Jackson has to be way out in front right now.

    At this point, in the actual voting Peppers may not appear in top ten.

    Peppers has some kick returns, but OSU DBs Marshon Lattimore and Malik Hooker have been playing better defense.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Oh yeah, I'm not saying Peppers is leading or anything. Just that he's getting some buzz.

    Jackson has to be way out in front right now.

    At this point, in the actual voting Peppers may not appear in top ten.

    Peppers has some kick returns, but OSU DBs Marshon Lattimore and Malik Hooker have been playing better defense.

    @the-gipper said:

    At this point, in the actual voting Peppers may not appear in top ten.

    Peppers has some kick returns, but OSU DBs Marshon Lattimore and Malik Hooker have been playing better defense.

    ... Based on what? Your opinion?

    - why would Peppers be considered 5th by analysts but not in the top ten for voting?

    - why do you think the OSU DBs are playing better? FYI, Peppers isn't even a DB.

    ....

  • @the-gipper said:

    At this point, in the actual voting Peppers may not appear in top ten.

    Peppers has some kick returns, but OSU DBs Marshon Lattimore and Malik Hooker have been playing better defense.

    ... Based on what? Your opinion?

    - why would Peppers be considered 5th by analysts but not in the top ten for voting?

    - why do you think the OSU DBs are playing better? FYI, Peppers isn't even a DB.

    ....

    @mld-woody said:

    ... Based on what? Your opinion?

    Performance.

    - why would Peppers be considered 5th by analysts but not in the top ten for voting?

    Analysts are not voters, FYI. While maybe Peppers and other deserve consideration,they won't get it because they play defense

    - why do you think the OSU DBs are playing better? FYI, Peppers isn't even a DB.

    Peppers is listed as a safety. Last time I looked a safety was considered a Defensive Back.

    And OSU players are nabbing lots of Ints., lots over coverage breakups...even some sacks. You know...the things they measure DBs by.

    ....

  • Peppers technically plays LB.

    You say "performance". Have you even watched a Michigan game? Peppers is currently leading the nation in TFL. Yes, he returned a punt for a TD, but he's being doing a ton on defense. So you just say "performance" without actually knowing what you're talking about I'm guessing.

    You don't think the CFB analysts know what they're doing on their watchlists?

    This is just another example of you thinking something based on only your opinion, anecdotal evidence and a lack of facts and then parading it around like It's the truth. You do it a lot.

  • Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.

  • Peppers technically plays LB.

    You say "performance". Have you even watched a Michigan game? Peppers is currently leading the nation in TFL. Yes, he returned a punt for a TD, but he's being doing a ton on defense. So you just say "performance" without actually knowing what you're talking about I'm guessing.

    You don't think the CFB analysts know what they're doing on their watchlists?

    This is just another example of you thinking something based on only your opinion, anecdotal evidence and a lack of facts and then parading it around like It's the truth. You do it a lot.

    @mld-woody said:

    Peppers technically plays LB.

    You say "performance". Have you even watched a Michigan game? Peppers is currently leading the nation in TFL. Yes, he returned a punt for a TD, but he's being doing a ton on defense. So you just say "performance" without actually knowing what you're talking about I'm guessing.

    TFL? Tackles for loss. I was saying performance as a DB. The OSU DBs have been performing outstandingly.(THEY are leading the nation in their appropriate categories) If Peppers is playing LB that may be a different matter. I was talking in terms of interceptions and coverager breakups. It seems that if Peppers is playing LB then he has far more duties to rush the passer and stop the run than he would as a DB.

    If he is playing LB...then why can't the UM guides list him as that?

    And, no, I haven't seen but snippets of Michigan games. They have been played at the same time as OSU games....or much better games to watch.

    I have seen highlights only of Peppers on the recap shows....because I have had better things to do or watch.

    You don't think the CFB analysts know what they're doing on their watchlists?

    Perhaps they do...but that does not mean he will get actual Heisman votes.

    This is just another example of you thinking something based on only your opinion, anecdotal evidence and a lack of facts and then parading it around like It's the truth. You do it a lot.

    Truth....you have no better idea than I what the fucking "truth" will be.

    And here are a few truths from years and years of watching Heisman Trophy races, going as far back as when Roger Staubach won it in 1964:

    It is primarily an offensive position award. Only like one ever primary defensive player won it (your boy Woodson)...and that only because he returned a lot of kicks for TDs. If there are not many viable offensive candidates then a defensive player will get some run. But that is not the case this year. There are at least a half dozen viable offensive Heisman Trophy candidates.

    Those are actual fucking facts that you may not recognize even if they came up an hit you with a two by for..

  • Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.

    @mld-woody said:

    Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.

    The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.

    Just figure out which fucking position he would play.

    At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.

    I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.

    But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.

    Fair to say?

  • I'll go on record now....Christian McCaffrey will win the Heisman (barring injury). My opinion, but whether or not he wins it, I would LOVE to see that kid with the Browns when he's in the draft.

    Mike

    @canton-mike said:

    I'll go on record now....Christian McCaffrey will win the Heisman (barring injury). My opinion, but whether or not he wins it, I would LOVE to see that kid with the Browns when he's in the draft.

    Mike

    wasn't touchdown tommy vardel from Stanford ? just say NO to white running backs

  • a correct reply to my above post could have been "white running backs lives matter"

  • @mld-woody said:

    Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.

    The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.

    Just figure out which fucking position he would play.

    At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.

    I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.

    But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.

    Fair to say?

    @the-gipper said:

    The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.

    Just figure out which fucking position he would play.

    At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.

    I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.

    But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.

    Fair to say?

    That issue with him playing safety is that his deep range and coverage has been spotty. As it stands I don't see a top 10 caliber safety. The physical gifts are there but that's the least of my concerns at that spot.

  • @mld-woody said:

    Peppers was the first player in B1G history to win Defensive POTW and Special Teams POTW in the same week.

    The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.

    Just figure out which fucking position he would play.

    At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.

    I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.

    But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.

    Fair to say?

    @the-gipper said:

    The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.

    Just figure out which fucking position he would play.

    At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.

    I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.

    But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.

    Fair to say?

    If all the weight stuff is correct, Shazier has an inch and 20 lbs on Pepppers. So you're right that he'd probably be a small NFL LB. I've seen him pegged as a SS, which makes a lot of sense. You still need coverage ability, but you're attacking the LOS more.

    Really it would take a talented, creative DC to get the most out of him in the NFL. Near the end of his time in Green Bay, Woodson was playing every position but DL on the defense (not meaning to make a direct Woodson / Peppers comparison, its just a good example). Nickleback is also become a more important position. So who knows. NFL offenses are getting more spread out, more pass happy. A hybrid space player like Peppers could be huge.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.

    Just figure out which fucking position he would play.

    At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.

    I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.

    But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.

    Fair to say?

    That issue with him playing safety is that his deep range and coverage has been spotty. As it stands I don't see a top 10 caliber safety. The physical gifts are there but that's the least of my concerns at that spot.

    @tiamat63 said:

    That issue with him playing safety is that his deep range and coverage has been spotty. As it stands I don't see a top 10 caliber safety. The physical gifts are there but that's the least of my concerns at that spot.

    We've asked Peppers to play 3 defensive positions in 3 years (the 1st was CB, and he was hurt most of the year). On top of the special teams and offensive roles. It is a great way to showcase all of his abilities, and he's excelled at pretty much all of them, but it probably isn't the best way to really master certain aspects. If an NFL DC wanted him as a Safety or CB, and he focused on that, I'm guessing he could get much better at the coverage aspect.

  • Missed a HUGE block on Penn State's fat ass kicker who proceeded to lay out the return man.

    That was giggle worthy.

  • Ya, that chubby mother fucker laid a shot on Lewis. I don't think our return team was expecting him to come flying down the field haha

  • Ya, that chubby mother fucker laid a shot on Lewis. I don't think our return team was expecting him to come flying down the field haha

    @mld-woody said:

    Ya, that chubby mother fucker laid a shot on Lewis. I don't think our return team was expecting him to come flying down the field haha

    I don't think anybody expected that. Big boy has some wheels. Thought it was Chris Farley for a minute.

  • @the-gipper said:

    The only real interest anyone here has in him is if he is a player that the Browns would draft. I may be all for that....if for some reason they decide not to take a QB.

    Just figure out which fucking position he would play.

    At 6'1" 208 lbs.....which is what he is listed as....he ain't playing LB in the NFL.

    I mean, maybe for right now for the interest of the Michigan team playing LB works out.

    But for his interest in his future pro career.....he should stick to safety.

    Fair to say?

    If all the weight stuff is correct, Shazier has an inch and 20 lbs on Pepppers. So you're right that he'd probably be a small NFL LB. I've seen him pegged as a SS, which makes a lot of sense. You still need coverage ability, but you're attacking the LOS more.

    Really it would take a talented, creative DC to get the most out of him in the NFL. Near the end of his time in Green Bay, Woodson was playing every position but DL on the defense (not meaning to make a direct Woodson / Peppers comparison, its just a good example). Nickleback is also become a more important position. So who knows. NFL offenses are getting more spread out, more pass happy. A hybrid space player like Peppers could be huge.

    @mld-woody said:

    If all the weight stuff is correct, Shazier has an inch and 20 lbs on Pepppers. So you're right that he'd probably be a small NFL LB. I've seen him pegged as a SS, which makes a lot of sense. You still need coverage ability, but you're attacking the LOS more.

    Really it would take a talented, creative DC to get the most out of him in the NFL. Near the end of his time in Green Bay, Woodson was playing every position but DL on the defense (not meaning to make a direct Woodson / Peppers comparison, its just a good example). Nickleback is also become a more important position. So who knows. NFL offenses are getting more spread out, more pass happy. A hybrid space player like Peppers could be huge.

    So...correct me if I am wrong, but what I am hearing is that this guy may not be all that great of an NFL prospect? That his coverage skills are lacking for a DB....and certainly his size is lacking for a LB. That he is a "tweener"?

    What about Free Safety? That position has more room to roam generally......and does not always have specific coverage responsibilities?

    CBS Sport has him rated as the #3 overall prospect, behind Garrett and Watson. Are some of you saying they may be off base? (they list him at SS)

  • @mld-woody said:

    If all the weight stuff is correct, Shazier has an inch and 20 lbs on Pepppers. So you're right that he'd probably be a small NFL LB. I've seen him pegged as a SS, which makes a lot of sense. You still need coverage ability, but you're attacking the LOS more.

    Really it would take a talented, creative DC to get the most out of him in the NFL. Near the end of his time in Green Bay, Woodson was playing every position but DL on the defense (not meaning to make a direct Woodson / Peppers comparison, its just a good example). Nickleback is also become a more important position. So who knows. NFL offenses are getting more spread out, more pass happy. A hybrid space player like Peppers could be huge.

    So...correct me if I am wrong, but what I am hearing is that this guy may not be all that great of an NFL prospect? That his coverage skills are lacking for a DB....and certainly his size is lacking for a LB. That he is a "tweener"?

    What about Free Safety? That position has more room to roam generally......and does not always have specific coverage responsibilities?

    CBS Sport has him rated as the #3 overall prospect, behind Garrett and Watson. Are some of you saying they may be off base? (they list him at SS)

    @the-gipper said:

    So...correct me if I am wrong, but what I am hearing is that this guy may not be all that great of an NFL prospect? That his coverage skills are lacking for a DB....and certainly his size is lacking for a LB. That he is a "tweener"?

    What about Free Safety? That position has more room to roam generally......and does not always have specific coverage responsibilities?

    CBS Sport has him rated as the #3 overall prospect, behind Garrett and Watson. Are some of you saying they may be off base? (they list him at SS)

    Alright, I'll correct you. You're wrong. I mean you said it yourself, he's listed as the #3 overall prospect. He's not really a "tweener" in a bad sense. His a hybrid space player. They're become vital in CFB and more important in the NFL.

    His coverage skills aren't bad. He's just elite at many things, making his coverage skills his weakness. Again, he's been asked to do a lot of things, and right now that doesn't mean pure DB coverage skills. I'm guessing NFL GMs will be thinking he could pick it up.

  • @the-gipper said:

    So...correct me if I am wrong, but what I am hearing is that this guy may not be all that great of an NFL prospect? That his coverage skills are lacking for a DB....and certainly his size is lacking for a LB. That he is a "tweener"?

    What about Free Safety? That position has more room to roam generally......and does not always have specific coverage responsibilities?

    CBS Sport has him rated as the #3 overall prospect, behind Garrett and Watson. Are some of you saying they may be off base? (they list him at SS)

    Alright, I'll correct you. You're wrong. I mean you said it yourself, he's listed as the #3 overall prospect. He's not really a "tweener" in a bad sense. His a hybrid space player. They're become vital in CFB and more important in the NFL.

    His coverage skills aren't bad. He's just elite at many things, making his coverage skills his weakness. Again, he's been asked to do a lot of things, and right now that doesn't mean pure DB coverage skills. I'm guessing NFL GMs will be thinking he could pick it up.

    @mld-woody said:

    Alright, I'll correct you. You're wrong. I mean you said it yourself, he's listed as the #3 overall prospect. He's not really a "tweener" in a bad sense. His a hybrid space player. They're become vital in CFB and more important in the NFL.

    His coverage skills aren't bad. He's just elite at many things, making his coverage skills his weakness. Again, he's been asked to do a lot of things, and right now that doesn't mean pure DB coverage skills. I'm guessing NFL GMs will be thinking he could pick it up.

    You can assert that I am wrong....but then you go on to explain how I am right. And its not really that I am right or wrong, just that I am interpreting your own statements...and tiamati's that he does not have elite skills (such that he would be worthy of #3 overall):

    "deep range and coverage ability is spotty"

    "it would take a talented and creative DC to get the most out of him"

    "coverage skills are his weakness"

    Your words.

    Sorry, but I don't think a scout would grade a player an elite DB prospect given what was said there about him.

    Your other statements seem to make him out as a jack of all trades, a master of none.

    I think for him to make the grade he needs to try to master something.

    I still think it sounds like most scouts would give him top ranks as a safety...and if he concentrated on that he could be an outstanding one in the pros. So, OK, return punts, lots of safeties do that.