My thought on the draft
-
The most puzzling move by the Browns is passing on Jeremy Machlin for Alex mack (a center, while good, is still a center)and the 195th player in a very weak draft... your thoughts?
Are you serious with this, Solon?
A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.
Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.
Centers are not.
Are you serious with this, Solon?
A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.
Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.
Centers are not.
Dama you are correct and not to mention the fact that Mack won the Academic Hiesman shows some smarts - also both receivers were very high in their class - I think Massaqoi has a degree in psychology , either smart players = equal good work ethics and smart plays - go brownies!!!
-
remember Jeff Faine wasn't really the center I thought he would turn out to be.
he is close as you get to a bust but still able to stay in the league.
He hasn't just "stayed" in the league, he's the highest paid center of all time and a Pro Bowler.
He just was too small for the AFC North. He's done more than fine in the NFC.
He hasn't just "stayed" in the league, he's the highest paid center of all time and a Pro Bowler.
He just was too small for the AFC North. He's done more than fine in the NFC.
The tampa bay bucs are a bunch of suckers too. I'm not sold on him....look if he was worth a crap he would of still been a clev. brown or a saint. And if he is to small for the afc North, why is it ok to be in the nfc?
If you are going to make a playoff run do you want to do it with an undersized center. Michael Vick was the highest paid qb was he the best qb in the league?
-
The most puzzling move by the Browns is passing on Jeremy Machlin for Alex mack (a center, while good, is still a center)and the 195th player in a very weak draft... your thoughts?
Are you serious with this, Solon?
A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.
Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.
Centers are not.
Are you serious with this, Solon?
A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.
Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.
Centers are not.
Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have machlin...Antoine Calwell could have been #52 pick and Luigs from ark at #104 and as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!
-
Are you serious with this, Solon?
A center is arguably the second-most important player on offense after the QB. When good, a center is an offensive center piece far more important than any one WR. This is especially true in our division where we face two of the best NTs in the game four times a year.
Maclin is one of MANY WR prospects and history has shown WRs are highly bustable.
Centers are not.
Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have machlin...Antoine Calwell could have been #52 pick and Luigs from ark at #104 and as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!
Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have macklin...Luigs from ark and Antoine Calwell could have been #52 picks as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!
Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.
Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.
-
@shepwrite said:
I'm not sure how I feel. The LA Times seems to think the Browns got a hell of a deal for Sanchez, getting Mack, Elam, Veikune, and the DE, all potential to probable starters.Browns did indeed get a good deal from the Jets. They filled at least 3 starting rolls by making that trade.
-
I think the Massaquoi pick is to cover the loss of Edwards.
With events the past month, receiver became a very big need.
While that pick may be the one I question somewhat, I understand the reason why it was made and don't have a big problem.
I think the Massaquoi pick is to cover the loss of Edwards.
With events the past month, receiver became a very big need.
While that pick may be the one I question somewhat, I understand the reason why it was made and don't have a big problem.
did you mean Stallworth BP?
besides being in a contract year the key to bringing out the best in Edwards is surrounding him with competition. regarding Robiskie and Massaquoi: both are superb route runners, have good hands, and have their heads on straight.
these young bucs are exactly what the doctor ordered to push Braylon back into '07 form.
WR is set, plz give up on the trade ideas already.
-
@shepwrite said:
I'm not sure how I feel. The LA Times seems to think the Browns got a hell of a deal for Sanchez, getting Mack, Elam, Veikune, and the DE, all potential to probable starters.Browns did indeed get a good deal from the Jets. They filled at least 3 starting rolls by making that trade.
@shepwrite said:
I'm not sure how I feel. The LA Times seems to think the Browns got a hell of a deal for Sanchez, getting Mack, Elam, Veikune, and the DE, all potential to probable starters.Masters said:
Browns did indeed get a good deal from the Jets. They filled at least 3 starting rolls by making that trade.they went from 5 pix to potentially 11 players. i'd say that's pretty close to amazing, considering.
-
I believe most mocks, and squeeler fans in some forums I visited, er... lurked...
that Mack was the choice of the Squeelers. They want to stay on top, and wanted to strengthen the
middle of their oline vs the Browns' and dirty stupid filthy ugly ratbirds' giant NT's
But the Browns beat them to it. And, it would be great to see a youtube video of pencils being snapped
and thrown against the wall at the squeeler draft room when both centers were gone.
And, when the Browns want to go with a 3 wr set... any defense has to curse when the game is on the line.
I'm flushtered that Jamon Meredith and Rashad Jennings are still on the board, I think. Shows what I know.
-
We've got three 6th rounders left, let's hope they make the most of them. No more David McMillans and Paul Hubbards.
-
Well we could have gotten a good Center with 36...Machlin better than both ROBO and MASS...imo, also passed on Darius Butler,Alphoso Smith at Corners...Sintim and Barwin at OLB...but Mack is a good pick I would rather have macklin...Luigs from ark and Antoine Calwell could have been #52 picks as well. Centers are important I agree...we already have two in Hadnot, fraley...I'm saying we had MUCH more pressing needs Machlin and alphonso smith would have been better picks IMO!
Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.
Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.
Masters said:
Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.
Max Unger...also at 52 Caldwell...Luigs at 104
-
Masters said:
Hadnot is not a C, he is a G who happens to be able to play C. Fraley has been getting abused for 2 years by Hampton and Ngata, which is causing Eric to help.Who were the good C at 36? Wood went off the board at 28, and if CLE didn't take Mack, both would be gone by 36.
Max Unger...also at 52 Caldwell...Luigs at 104
-
Unger's not at all a fit for the Browns or the AFC North. I like Caldwell a lot, but he's considered by most people to be a step down from Mack. Luigs struggled at the Senior Bowl and actually looked better playing guard.
So no...we couldn't have gotten a comparable center at #36.
-
Unger's not at all a fit for the Browns or the AFC North. I like Caldwell a lot, but he's considered by most people to be a step down from Mack. Luigs struggled at the Senior Bowl and actually looked better playing guard.
So no...we couldn't have gotten a comparable center at #36.
Aloysius said:
Unger's not at all a fit for the Browns or the AFC North. I like Caldwell a lot, but he's considered by most people to be a step down from Mack. Luigs struggled at the Senior Bowl and actually looked better playing guard.So no...we couldn't have gotten a comparable center at #36.
So you didn't have Machlin at #19, as a better choice?
-
The thing I like about all our draft picks so far is that they appear to be smart, high character players
-
mikeyP72 said:
if they really thought anything of hubbard would they have drafted massaqoui?yes.
they were paper thin, even a hammy woulda been curtains to the WR core. down JJ and donte with Patten as the only experience behind Braylon. (!) it's an 800 million dollar corporation and many viable receivers still take several years to develop.
i expected kok/man to lay the groundwork for years 3 and 4, when the leash gets really short and we expect them to walk on their own two (or four). this will help them meet those expectations for 2011 and beyond.
-
The thing I like about all our draft picks so far is that they appear to be smart, high character players
The thing I like about all our draft picks so far is that they appear to be smart, high character players
i like that too RBF.

-
Masters said:
All several steps below the talent level of Mack and Wood.Several steps? Maybe as many steps as it takes to get from the first floor to the basement.
If he thinks a center is a center, then I guess a WR is a WR.
-
The thing I like about all our draft picks so far is that they appear to be smart, high character players
The thing I like about all our draft picks so far is that they appear to be smart, high character players
Agreed. Even though I like the sexy picks, its time to realize this team needs much more than that. I think ManKok is building a good foundation so that when all that's needed is the sexy pick, they can do that comfortably.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login