Skip to content

Chris Tabor

The Browns Board
33 11 1.6k
  • Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant...

    @tour2ma said:

    Never let the facts get in the way of a good rant...

    Well now, that was insightful.

  • The facts of Tabor are on CB.com. in his profile O. From 2011-2015 Tabors ST rank in Top 10 of 32 teams. Your ranting about 2 bad play calls in 4 years.. Time to let it go O..Tabor should be Mayor of Cleveland at this rate 😛

  • All our special teams ever have to do is cover punts and take a knee on kickoffs.

    Unless you count Pettine trying 60 yard field goals with Devon Hester standing in the end zone. There's no ST coach that can defend that kind of stupidity.

    I lost my faith in Pettine being a smart coach when he kicked that FG to Hester. Twice! (he got to see what would happen cos the Atlanta coach iced the kicker)

    And I lost all my faith in Tabor when he put his hands players on the sidelines so the Pats could recover the kick up the middle. I mean, even a monkey could see THAT was stupid. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought our guys didn't realize that play was about to resume. But NOO. We did that on purpose.

    On the 'somewhat' fake punt he puts the long snapper next to the punter to block. WHY? Why wouldn't you put a real lineman over there? So they would think we were really gonna punt? To me it's the players on ST that make stats look good.

  • Tabor should be our HC.

  • Tabor should be our HC.

    @gftchris said:

    Tabor should be our HC.

    How 'bout Mangini as HC again?

    He had good ST.

    If the bottom of the roster wanted to be up for the game, the player(s) had to be good at ST. If you weren't good at ST then you watched the game in street clothes.

  • It seems that every regime that comes along fires everybody except him.

    Under Chud we had the Patriots beat. All we had to do was recover the onside kick. I'm sitting there in the stands with my son...and all of a sudden the Patriots were ready to kick and I'm like, What the freak is going on? We had two little huddles of players at each sideline. I said, They're gonna kick it right up the middle and recover it! Which of course they did...and beat us.

    Then Sunday, for the fake punt, he puts the long snapper and the punter on the left side of the line to block (which neither guy does for a living). He might as well have put two Andy Lees over there. Not to mention we only had only 10 guys on the field.

    Now, I know that both Chud and Hue had to sign off on those plays, so farts on them too......but I just can't figure out the love affair everybody HAS with that guy.

    @orion said:

    It seems that every regime that comes along fires everybody except him.

    Under Chud we had the Patriots beat. All we had to do was recover the onside kick. I'm sitting there in the stands with my son...and all of a sudden the Patriots were ready to kick and I'm like, What the freak is going on? We had two little huddles of players at each sideline. I said, They're gonna kick it right up the middle and recover it! Which of course they did...and beat us.

    Then Sunday, for the fake punt, he puts the long snapper and the punter on the left side of the line to block (which neither guy does for a living). He might as well have put two Andy Lees over there. Not to mention we only had only 10 guys on the field.

    Now, I know that both Chud and Hue had to sign off on those plays, so farts on them too......but I just can't figure out the love affair everybody HAS with that guy.

    "Since Tabor’s arrival in 2011, the Browns lead the NFL in punt return average (11.3), are tied for fifth in kickoff return average against (21.7) and are tied for sixth in punt return touchdowns (four). The Browns have won six AFC Special Teams Player of the Week awards from 2011-15.

    Last season, Tabor guided a special teams unit that finished fourth in the NFL in punt return average (11.2), fifth in kickoff return yards (1,041) and fifth in total kick return yards (1,366). First-year kicker Travis Coons set an NFL record with 18 consecutive field goals to start his career. Punter Andy Lee set franchise best single-season marks in punt average (46.71) and net punt average (40.13). Punt returner Travis Benjamin finished third in the league in punt return average (11.6)."

    You're whole argument is based on two bad plays, one that had little to nothing to do with him. The guy is a good coach and has been for a long time, that's why he's been with the staffs for so long. I honestly sometimes have no idea what you guys are thinking with these threads.

  • That being said:

    "fifth in kickoff return yards (1,041) and fifth in total kick return yards (1,366)."

    Kinda depends on how many times people score against you. Probably you look at the seahawks or panthers for example they probably rank quite low in that regard.

  • All our special teams ever have to do is cover punts and take a knee on kickoffs.

    Unless you count Pettine trying 60 yard field goals with Devon Hester standing in the end zone. There's no ST coach that can defend that kind of stupidity.

    I lost my faith in Pettine being a smart coach when he kicked that FG to Hester. Twice! (he got to see what would happen cos the Atlanta coach iced the kicker)

    And I lost all my faith in Tabor when he put his hands players on the sidelines so the Pats could recover the kick up the middle. I mean, even a monkey could see THAT was stupid. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought our guys didn't realize that play was about to resume. But NOO. We did that on purpose.

    On the 'somewhat' fake punt he puts the long snapper next to the punter to block. WHY? Why wouldn't you put a real lineman over there? So they would think we were really gonna punt? To me it's the players on ST that make stats look good.

    @orion said:

    On the 'somewhat' fake punt he puts the long snapper next to the punter to block. WHY? Why wouldn't you put a real lineman over there? So they would think we were really gonna punt? To me it's the players on ST that make stats look good.

    Because all the LS was being asked to do was cut off backside pursuit. It's a simple cutblock the LS probably executed in practice many times. Same is true of the Punter. Where else would you recommend they be stashed? Execution was poor, but the play was well conceived.

    Of course it takes players to make plays, but it takes coaches to mold players into a unit.

    @jrb12711 said:

    You're whole argument is based on two bad plays, one that had little to nothing to do with him. The guy is a good coach and has been for a long time, that's why he's been with the staffs for so long. I honestly sometimes have no idea what you guys are thinking with these threads.

    +1...

  • Where else would you recommend they be stashed?

    IMO the long snapper shouldn't have even been sent out there. It should have been a REAL lineman. I can understand sending the punter out there so that the opponent thinks you're punting and sends in their return package. I understand that the play was going in the other direction...but we basically had two Andy Lee's out there to seal off the back side. - I'm sick of the stupidness.

    As far as the stats go, we had a good punt returner in Benjamin...until he got hurt and we had to put in 'what's his name' (the old DB that Pettine loved so much - he was a pretty good DB though) to just catch the ball...because everyone else was fumbling the damned thing.

  • Punt team minus the long snapper... that'll fool 'em.

  • Where else would you recommend they be stashed?

    IMO the long snapper shouldn't have even been sent out there. It should have been a REAL lineman. I can understand sending the punter out there so that the opponent thinks you're punting and sends in their return package. I understand that the play was going in the other direction...but we basically had two Andy Lee's out there to seal off the back side. - I'm sick of the stupidness.

    As far as the stats go, we had a good punt returner in Benjamin...until he got hurt and we had to put in 'what's his name' (the old DB that Pettine loved so much - he was a pretty good DB though) to just catch the ball...because everyone else was fumbling the damned thing.

    @orion said:

    - I'm sick of the stupidness.

    we had a good punt returner in Benjamin...until he got hurt and we had to put in 'what's his name' (the old DB that Pettine loved so much - he was a pretty good DB though) to just catch the ball...because everyone else was fumbling the damned thing.

    Jim Leonard..till he fumbled..refer to your line 1

  • Punt team minus the long snapper... that'll fool 'em.

    @tour2ma said:

    Punt team minus the long snapper... that'll fool 'em.

    How would they know he's not dinged?

    And were we really trying to fool anyone by sending the regular center in too...or the formation.

  • @orion said:

    - I'm sick of the stupidness.

    we had a good punt returner in Benjamin...until he got hurt and we had to put in 'what's his name' (the old DB that Pettine loved so much - he was a pretty good DB though) to just catch the ball...because everyone else was fumbling the damned thing.

    Jim Leonard..till he fumbled..refer to your line 1

    @gumby73 said:

    Jim Leonard..till he fumbled..refer to your line 1

    Yeah, he wound up fumbling once too......because he actually tried to return it. But at least he caught the punts. (we were in dire straits at punt returner at that point)

  • Bottom line..Hue called the fake. Tabor coaches the execution of play. Players did not execute the play..Welcome to Browns Football

  • Bottom line..Hue called the fake. Tabor coaches the execution of play. Players did not execute the play..Welcome to Browns Football

    @gumby73 said:

    Bottom line..Hue called the fake. Tabor coaches the execution of play. Players did not execute the play..Welcome to Browns Football

    Welcome to Browns football? I've been watching Browns football since the Jim Brown days. This isn't Browns football. 4th and 5, early in the game, on your own side of the field? Punt the thing. (Hue's fault for making the call)

    The players didn't execute because we had a long snapper and a punter expected to block real football players. Long snappers and punters aren't real football players.

  • Hey Orion, you're right. This is NOT Cleveland Browns football! Even when they had bad records with Carson and Skorich, they were never an easy out. They play like creampuffs compared to every Browns team pre 99. My loyalty is there and I pray they change. It hurts me to say they suck but they do. This board is better than the team and now I start wishing that Jimmy gets the clap from Dee

  • 11. I still don't understand why the Browns had 33-year-old Tramon Williams returning punts. He returned one in 2015 with the Browns. Before that, he had not returned punts since 2010. He looked very uncomfortable trying to catch the ball in the wind. Makes no sense to have him in that role again.

    12. Special teams coach Chris Tabor expressed confidence in Williams: "Tramon catches the ball cleanly." He talked about Williams doing that in Green Bay, which was true. But it also was six years ago.

    13. Tabor talked about rookie Corey Coleman as a punt returner. That's intriguing. Jackson tried to talk around the issue of the Browns having only 10 men on the field during the botched punt. He was protecting Tabor, who quickly said the Browns were a man short "and that's on me. That's coaching."

    http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/index...rry_ta_80.html

    Of course he was protecting Tabor! Everyone does! He's the Wernher von Braun of special teams coaches.

  • Special Teams are rocket science?