Davis Webb
-
You talk about comebacks like they were a common thing in watsons career. Twice in 2 years did watson lead a 4th Quarter comeback. Once early in 2015 when they were down by 3 points and during the Alabama game. How about the fact he has 10 games without an INT in the last two years. How about the Pitt game where watson handed the game to a lesser team because clemson needed to rely on the intermediate passing attack which is a weakness for watson. Before the alabama game Watson was being projected as a late first at best rounds 2-3 as a developmental QB. Nothing has changed my opinion of that.
-
It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL if the Browns traded back into the first round. Remember, we obviously have the first pick of the second round, and that pick is extremely coveted. It's coveted because the second round is on a different day, and that gives teams a BUNCH of time to look at their board and see who they might want to grab. It also provides a bunch of time to hammer a deal out. Every year people talk about the players that "slide" out of the first round, for whatever reason, and teams will be wanting that pick pretty badly. It gives us some nice leverage to propel ourselves back into the first round, and I could definitely see us coming away with three players after the first day of the draft.
I'm too lazy to pull up the draft order right now, but when I looked at it the other day, I noticed that once you get past around pick 12 or 13, there really aren't too many teams that need a rookie QB on their team. I guess Houston needs one, but I see them as a team set on acquiring a veteran. The Cardinals are around 12 or 13 I think, and it'd probably be a good idea for them to start thinking about their future QB. Other than that, there's not a bunch of teams that really need a QB. I could Kizer, Watson, Mahomes, or even Trubisky getting past 13, and then continuing to slide. If that happens, I see us being aggressive and making a move for them.
The above poster said that before the Alabama game, Watson was projected as a 2nd to 3rd round pick. That's true, and it isn't. Certainly some analysts had him projected in that range, but I definitely saw others that had him pegged very early. Even before that last magical game. A part of me says that Watson was mostly a product of a gimmicky system, he threw too many picks, and he isn't accurate enough to be an NFL QB right now. He also doesn't have experience under center, which could be an issue. But there's definitely another part of me that says, "Just watch Watson play. Look at what he does on the field, and quit picking the guy apart. He and his team took down a football giant that most thought they had NO chance to win." Watson also measured in at 6'2 and 222 pounds, so the whole "he's got a slight frame" thing is total crap. He's a saint off the field, and I haven't heard one bad thing about him. He's not terrificly fast, but he's certainly not slow either. He is at ease running the read-option plays that Hue appears to favor, and he's not afraid to attack the middle of the field. I can make an argument either way for Watson, but I will say this: I'm definitely interested to see what he does!
-
Hmm this article will be good news to Webb fans
-
Hmm this article will be good news to Webb fans
Hmm this article will be good news to Webb fans
He's looking at the ball as it comes out of his hand??? I've never seen that before...
The only excuse I can think of is it "slipped" as he threw it. Appears to be raining given the parkas in the stands.
-
Im not sure you are very good at differentiating between college QB and Pro QB Aggie. Watsons very much a system QB and his stats would indicate as such. He played on the best offense and best defense team. He did not elevate the position he mearly maintained.
Mahomes took webb's job because of mobility and webb had an injury. Mobility like his is a gimmick in the nfl anyway. Don't get me wrong i actually like mahomes better as a prospect than watson or kizer but he does not have the arm talent or size of webb nor does he have the pocket presence. Hell webb is actually bigger than kizer.
I do evaluate one thing that I think often gets left out when it comes to QBs. And all the great ones have it. The will to take their team for the win regardless of the odds against it. Last year I and at least Tour identified Prescott as having "it". This year I think Watson has "it". The rest he can learn on the job. But at the core there has to be that need to win that supersedes all else. I watched Watson demonstrate it while the others all failed in key games at crunch time. You either have that or you don't.
I do evaluate one thing that I think often gets left out when it comes to QBs. And all the great ones have it. The will to take their team for the win regardless of the odds against it. Last year I and at least Tour identified Prescott as having "it". This year I think Watson has "it". The rest he can learn on the job. But at the core there has to be that need to win that supersedes all else. I watched Watson demonstrate it while the others all failed in key games at crunch time. You either have that or you don't.
Hate to say it Ag. Clemson won the National Championship on an uncalled pick play- that they ran for the second time. Shame on 'Bama for not adjusting. That said, Watson did do well at the combine, but I still have my doubts- on accuracy. You either have that, or you don't. Chucking up floaters in the same area code as Mike Williams? Shades of Manziel doing the same thing with Mike Evans.
Regarding Trubs- Yeah, the NC State game was bad. But you forget he was a failed 2 point conversion away from tying Stanford in the Bowl game? One of the prettiest 2 minute drives I've ever seen. MHO? He's probably as clutch as Watson- but had far less surrounding talent.
-
I do evaluate one thing that I think often gets left out when it comes to QBs. And all the great ones have it. The will to take their team for the win regardless of the odds against it. Last year I and at least Tour identified Prescott as having "it". This year I think Watson has "it". The rest he can learn on the job. But at the core there has to be that need to win that supersedes all else. I watched Watson demonstrate it while the others all failed in key games at crunch time. You either have that or you don't.
Hate to say it Ag. Clemson won the National Championship on an uncalled pick play- that they ran for the second time. Shame on 'Bama for not adjusting. That said, Watson did do well at the combine, but I still have my doubts- on accuracy. You either have that, or you don't. Chucking up floaters in the same area code as Mike Williams? Shades of Manziel doing the same thing with Mike Evans.
Regarding Trubs- Yeah, the NC State game was bad. But you forget he was a failed 2 point conversion away from tying Stanford in the Bowl game? One of the prettiest 2 minute drives I've ever seen. MHO? He's probably as clutch as Watson- but had far less surrounding talent.
Hate to say it Ag. Clemson won the National Championship on an uncalled pick play- that they ran for the second time. Shame on 'Bama for not adjusting. That said, Watson did do well at the combine, but I still have my doubts- on accuracy. You either have that, or you don't. Chucking up floaters in the same area code as Mike Williams? Shades of Manziel doing the same thing with Mike Evans.
Regarding Trubs- Yeah, the NC State game was bad. But you forget he was a failed 2 point conversion away from tying Stanford in the Bowl game? One of the prettiest 2 minute drives I've ever seen. MHO? He's probably as clutch as Watson- but had far less surrounding talent.
Yeah I was a bit upset with the poor no-calls by the Big 12 ref crew. However, he got them down there for the plays to occur so that has to be a part of the evaluation. We shall see how it all works out.
-
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000793236/article/cal-qb-davis-webb-i-have-capability-to-learn-any-offense
Nice interview of Hopefully the next Browns QB -
That video made me cringe. Who is he trying to convince with all that autofelatio?
-
well, his ideal qb he emulates IS Tom Brady....
-
Davis Webb in the 3rd
Let him and Kess battle it out
16-0 BABY!!! WOOOT! SUPERBOWL CHAMPS!
-
Much prefer Peterman.
-
Much prefer Peterman.
Much prefer Peterman.
Most pro ready in the draft but his arm is weaker than Kessler's
-
Much prefer Peterman.
Most pro ready in the draft but his arm is weaker than Kessler's
Most pro ready in the draft but his arm is weaker than Kessler's
You think so? I didn't get the same sense from him.
I'm sure there's a stat somewhere to back one of us up.
-
Much prefer Peterman.
Much prefer Peterman.
You think so? I didn't get the same sense from him.
I'm sure there's a stat somewhere to back one of us up.
There was. NFL combine Kessler 55 mph, Peterman 53 mph. This got posted in the Watson undraftable thread. FWIW, a lot of scouts at the Clemson pro day said Watson didn't look lame arm either, though his 49 mph velocity was worse than Connor Shaw. According to the stats that got posted in the spreadsheet I couldn't find, the odds of being a successful NFL qb drop way off if you can't hit 55 mph. IIRC, the only successful qbs drafted since 2008 who couldn't hit that mark were Tyrod Taylor and Dak Prescott- and they both threw with arm issues.
-
Much prefer Peterman.
You think so? I didn't get the same sense from him.
I'm sure there's a stat somewhere to back one of us up.
There was. NFL combine Kessler 55 mph, Peterman 53 mph. This got posted in the Watson undraftable thread. FWIW, a lot of scouts at the Clemson pro day said Watson didn't look lame arm either, though his 49 mph velocity was worse than Connor Shaw. According to the stats that got posted in the spreadsheet I couldn't find, the odds of being a successful NFL qb drop way off if you can't hit 55 mph. IIRC, the only successful qbs drafted since 2008 who couldn't hit that mark were Tyrod Taylor and Dak Prescott- and they both threw with arm issues.
There was. NFL combine Kessler 55 mph, Peterman 53 mph. This got posted in the Watson undraftable thread. FWIW, a lot of scouts at the Clemson pro day said Watson didn't look lame arm either, though his 49 mph velocity was worse than Connor Shaw. According to the stats that got posted in the spreadsheet I couldn't find, the odds of being a successful NFL qb drop way off if you can't hit 55 mph. IIRC, the only successful qbs drafted since 2008 who couldn't hit that mark were Tyrod Taylor and Dak Prescott- and they both threw with arm issues.
Actually i saw some scouts saying they could see his arm limitations i'll post a link here in a second
Deshaun Watson: Arm-strength concerns have followed Watson for the last two seasons on film and aren't going away after he was clocked at 49 miles per hour on the radar gun in Indianapolis. The pro day workout showed some of these same issues, according to a scout who was there. "He just doesn't have a big arm. That's not who he is. Closer to Alex Smith than Marcus Mariota."
Matt Miller ~ Bleacher Report
-
Much prefer Peterman.
You think so? I didn't get the same sense from him.
I'm sure there's a stat somewhere to back one of us up.
There was. NFL combine Kessler 55 mph, Peterman 53 mph. This got posted in the Watson undraftable thread. FWIW, a lot of scouts at the Clemson pro day said Watson didn't look lame arm either, though his 49 mph velocity was worse than Connor Shaw. According to the stats that got posted in the spreadsheet I couldn't find, the odds of being a successful NFL qb drop way off if you can't hit 55 mph. IIRC, the only successful qbs drafted since 2008 who couldn't hit that mark were Tyrod Taylor and Dak Prescott- and they both threw with arm issues.
There was. NFL combine Kessler 55 mph, Peterman 53 mph. This got posted in the Watson undraftable thread. FWIW, a lot of scouts at the Clemson pro day said Watson didn't look lame arm either, though his 49 mph velocity was worse than Connor Shaw. According to the stats that got posted in the spreadsheet I couldn't find, the odds of being a successful NFL qb drop way off if you can't hit 55 mph. IIRC, the only successful qbs drafted since 2008 who couldn't hit that mark were Tyrod Taylor and Dak Prescott- and they both threw with arm issues.
Well if there is a cut-off, there's a cut-off and I'll concede the point. There was some debate in that very thread however as to the validity of those measurements.
There's also another thing I read where he completed something like 45% of his long passes... That doesn't speak to arm strength, but it does suggest an ability to get long throws to where his receivers can get to them.
-
There was. NFL combine Kessler 55 mph, Peterman 53 mph. This got posted in the Watson undraftable thread. FWIW, a lot of scouts at the Clemson pro day said Watson didn't look lame arm either, though his 49 mph velocity was worse than Connor Shaw. According to the stats that got posted in the spreadsheet I couldn't find, the odds of being a successful NFL qb drop way off if you can't hit 55 mph. IIRC, the only successful qbs drafted since 2008 who couldn't hit that mark were Tyrod Taylor and Dak Prescott- and they both threw with arm issues.
Well if there is a cut-off, there's a cut-off and I'll concede the point. There was some debate in that very thread however as to the validity of those measurements.
There's also another thing I read where he completed something like 45% of his long passes... That doesn't speak to arm strength, but it does suggest an ability to get long throws to where his receivers can get to them.
Well if there is a cut-off, there's a cut-off and I'll concede the point. There was some debate in that very thread however as to the validity of those measurements.
There's also another thing I read where he completed something like 45% of his long passes... That doesn't speak to arm strength, but it does suggest an ability to get long throws to where his receivers can get to them.
I agree with this perspective all the way.......this whole MPH thing is "suddenly" a vital stat, when it never mattered before???
I think it's BS......either you can make the throws or you cant.......timing, anticipation, ability to read D's all take the lead in important traits for successful QB's.....not mph
-
Far from a QB guru. but I think it gunna take a Gun in our Division. Every Stadium sits beside a lake or River with possible elements & Winds. Ben,Flacco & Red Rifle our not bean bag tossers. Webb's arm motion looks like to me if allowed time he could drive the ball into a receiver..
-
Far from a QB guru. but I think it gunna take a Gun in our Division. Every Stadium sits beside a lake or River with possible elements & Winds. Ben,Flacco & Red Rifle our not bean bag tossers. Webb's arm motion looks like to me if allowed time he could drive the ball into a receiver..
Far from a QB guru. but I think it gunna take a Gun in our Division. Every Stadium sits beside a lake or River with possible elements & Winds. Ben,Flacco & Red Rifle our not bean bag tossers. Webb's arm motion looks like to me if allowed time he could drive the ball into a receiver..
We need a mailman....get it delivered.....on time.....wind rain snow......
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login