Skip to content

Jesus gone; Hogan to active roster

The Browns Board
62 27 1.8k
  • @opal312 said:

    Draft expert Dane Brugler of NFLdraftscout.com had Hogan ranked eighth among QBs in the draft, with Kessler 17th. He projected Hogan to the fifth or sixth round and Kessler to be signed as a free agent.

    "Prototypical size and build for the position,'' he wrote of Hogan in his draft guide. "Indestructible body type to bounce off physical collisions, exuding determination as a scrambler ... high RPMs on his short-to-intermediate passes ... can rip it while on the move, adjusting his throwing platform ... hyper-focused and gutsy in the pocket, not allowing pressure to disrupt his progressions.''

    Give him a shot!

    I like your enthusiasm, but Kessler is progressing along nicely and Hogan was already cut from the team that drafted him.

    I think we are going to stick with Cody if he can go, we hand-picked him over Hogan and many others.

    Zombo

    Zombo said:

    I like your enthusiasm, but Kessler is progressing along nicely and Hogan was already cut from the team that drafted him.

    I think we are going to stick with Cody if he can go, we hand-picked him over Hogan and many others.

    Zombo

    they wanted him on their practice squad I believe he was their 5th stringer,Hogan was brought in before the draft and the reason they drafted Kessler was his quicker release Hogan has that long wind up, he will get killed back there

  • Play Hogan makes sense! An 0-5 team riddled with injuries would be wise to let Kessler and McCown get healthy. Is Kessler the future? If Hue thinks he is than don't do him any Favors playing him against the Titans defense.

  • This isn't the last we've seen of Clipboard Jesus. Once McCown, Kessler or Hogan inevitably get hurt, CBJ will be back. He was meant to be a Brown.

    @the-user-from-cleveland said:

    This isn't the last we've seen of Clipboard Jesus. Once McCown, Kessler or Hogan inevitably get hurt, CBJ will be back. He was meant to be a Brown.

    ugh.

    religion is a farce. just like whitehurst.

  • Cam comes back this week so Hogan will get to play for sure.

  • Cam comes back this week so Hogan will get to play for sure.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Cam comes back this week so Hogan will get to play for sure.

    Honestly, seeing the play where Kessler got destroyed, and seeing John Greco just kinda ignore Hightower, I'm actually convincing myself Erving coming back is a good thing. It was probably play design, and Greco was expecting the ball to be out sooner and to be taking off blocking, but still, basically 'unabated to the QB'.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    Cam comes back this week so Hogan will get to play for sure.

    Honestly, seeing the play where Kessler got destroyed, and seeing John Greco just kinda ignore Hightower, I'm actually convincing myself Erving coming back is a good thing. It was probably play design, and Greco was expecting the ball to be out sooner and to be taking off blocking, but still, basically 'unabated to the QB'.

    @gftchris said:

    Honestly, seeing the play where Kessler got destroyed, and seeing John Greco just kinda ignore Hightower, I'm actually convincing myself Erving coming back is a good thing. It was probably play design, and Greco was expecting the ball to be out sooner and to be taking off blocking, but still, basically 'unabated to the QB'.

    When Erving is in there, you get more QB pressure and the added benefit of no interior run game. He is the best at being the worst.

  • For sure. But hey, we can hope, right? I mean, he played all of about 5 games at center in college, and now, what, 2 in the NFL? He's still got plenty of room for growth, with time, coaching and experience.

    I'm a glass half full kind of guy...

  • For sure. But hey, we can hope, right? I mean, he played all of about 5 games at center in college, and now, what, 2 in the NFL? He's still got plenty of room for growth, with time, coaching and experience.

    I'm a glass half full kind of guy...

    @gftchris said:

    For sure. But hey, we can hope, right? I mean, he played all of about 5 games at center in college, and now, what, 2 in the NFL? He's still got plenty of room for growth, with time, coaching and experience.

    I'm a glass half full kind of guy...

    I appreciate the optimism. I just don't see it. For our purposes, I hope you are the correct one.

  • You and me both buddy. 'Plenty of room for growth' is about as much good as I can say about him at this point - I'm pretty sure we could pick up a fifth round guy who could do a better job but that's not the point. Besides, do we then have a first round backup swing tackle?

    He must be good at something, right? Maybe RT? Maybe he'll takeover for JT one day?

  • No sure I am a huge fan of this move. Having two rookies at the most important position is basically saying tank the season.

    @cnhnyy said:

    No sure I am a huge fan of this move. Having two rookies at the most important position is basically saying tank the season.

    At this point fuck it, tank.

  • You and me both buddy. 'Plenty of room for growth' is about as much good as I can say about him at this point - I'm pretty sure we could pick up a fifth round guy who could do a better job but that's not the point. Besides, do we then have a first round backup swing tackle?

    He must be good at something, right? Maybe RT? Maybe he'll takeover for JT one day?

    @gftchris said:

    You and me both buddy. 'Plenty of room for growth' is about as much good as I can say about him at this point - I'm pretty sure we could pick up a fifth round guy who could do a better job but that's not the point. Besides, do we then have a first round backup swing tackle?

    He must be good at something, right? Maybe RT? Maybe he'll takeover for JT one day?

    He could be good with numbers. Jimmy could hire him as an assistant to an assistant of someone. Well worth the first round pick.

  • It's hard to believe that Matthews was so bad that they couldn't even put hm on the practice squad. Surely after 4 years as an SEC starting center he could perform better than what he have had. I have to admit though that A&M's new freshman redshirt center is already better than Matthews ever got in 4 years. Far better line coach this year.

  • CBJ didn't play WELL, but considering the guy wasn't on the team very long, I thought the guy hung in there. I know he only scored one touchdown, but it wasn't like he had a ton of weapons to choose from, and we damn sure couldn't run the ball AT ALL. His touchdown pass to Connor Hamlet was gorgeous, and the actual catch was exactly what many of us have been looking for in the red zone! One on one coverage, throw it up to the tall guy. Boom. This is the exact play I've been raving about for the past two years. So many other teams do it, and it's a low risk, high reward option. Now that we have Pryor (who can also pull off that kind of catch), Barnidge, AND Hamlet in the red zone, if we can identify single coverage, we have some mismatches that go in our favor. Now only is the pass difficult to defend, it often leads to a pass interference call because the smaller player is frantically trying to disrupt the play.

    CBJ obviously didn't blow the doors off, but that one drive was nice, and he capped it off with a terrific pass to an undrafted rookie for a home TD. Think of what that means to a guy like Hamlet. Hell, it probably guarantees him a roster spot for the short term future. Awfully difficult to defend 6'7.

  • Hulk Hogan?!

  • @cnhnyy said:

    No sure I am a huge fan of this move. Having two rookies at the most important position is basically saying tank the season.

    At this point fuck it, tank.

    @the-cysko-kid said:

    At this point fuck it, tank.

    It's been a tank season from the start. The FO just can't admit that. How would saying we're gonna be young and suck go over?

  • CBJ didn't play WELL, but considering the guy wasn't on the team very long, I thought the guy hung in there. I know he only scored one touchdown, but it wasn't like he had a ton of weapons to choose from, and we damn sure couldn't run the ball AT ALL. His touchdown pass to Connor Hamlet was gorgeous, and the actual catch was exactly what many of us have been looking for in the red zone! One on one coverage, throw it up to the tall guy. Boom. This is the exact play I've been raving about for the past two years. So many other teams do it, and it's a low risk, high reward option. Now that we have Pryor (who can also pull off that kind of catch), Barnidge, AND Hamlet in the red zone, if we can identify single coverage, we have some mismatches that go in our favor. Now only is the pass difficult to defend, it often leads to a pass interference call because the smaller player is frantically trying to disrupt the play.

    CBJ obviously didn't blow the doors off, but that one drive was nice, and he capped it off with a terrific pass to an undrafted rookie for a home TD. Think of what that means to a guy like Hamlet. Hell, it probably guarantees him a roster spot for the short term future. Awfully difficult to defend 6'7.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    CBJ didn't play WELL, but considering the guy wasn't on the team very long, I thought the guy hung in there.

    I'd say he played "well-ish"...

    My major impression was a difference in the apparent speed of the game around the QB. Secondary was arm strength. Accuracy was erratic at best.

  • Hogan listed as the backup for the Titans game. Kess starting.

  • It's hard to believe that Matthews was so bad that they couldn't even put hm on the practice squad. Surely after 4 years as an SEC starting center he could perform better than what he have had. I have to admit though that A&M's new freshman redshirt center is already better than Matthews ever got in 4 years. Far better line coach this year.

    @texasag1969 said:

    It's hard to believe that Matthews was so bad that they couldn't even put hm on the practice squad. Surely after 4 years as an SEC starting center he could perform better than what he have had. I have to admit though that A&M's new freshman redshirt center is already better than Matthews ever got in 4 years. Far better line coach this year.

    Yes, I wonder that too.

    So, where is Mathews now?

  • @texasag1969 said:

    It's hard to believe that Matthews was so bad that they couldn't even put hm on the practice squad. Surely after 4 years as an SEC starting center he could perform better than what he have had. I have to admit though that A&M's new freshman redshirt center is already better than Matthews ever got in 4 years. Far better line coach this year.

    Yes, I wonder that too.

    So, where is Mathews now?

    @the-gipper said:

    Yes, I wonder that too.

    So, where is Mathews now?

    Sitting around the house.

  • Hogan will start and I'll tell you why. Back in April, Hue Jackson drafted a nobody QB in the third round. He could have had Dak Prescott at that point. This should tell you Hue and the Browns Front Office do NOT rely on their scouts. After all they fired six of them before the 2016 draft.

    I won't get into the whole trading away the second pick and settling for quantity verses quality. The Browns lucked into Kevin Hogan and he will be their starter. Hogan may not last more than a couple games but it won't be because he's not capable.

    Hogan will be the starter because if Hue plays Kessler while Cody is still hurt it tells you that Kessler was never the franchise QB and the draft was a big huge lie!

    Think about that!