Skip to content

Thinking about the draft, first two picks...arguing with myself...

The Browns Board
111 25 3.2k
  • Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

  • @gftchris said:

    Fair enough - I guess what I'm saying in terms of tech is that he's at least a 2?

    .... Do you know the spots along the Dline?

    @tiamat63 said:

    .... Do you know the spots along the Dline?

    Only a basic understanding in terms of essentially even numbers lining up over the OL and odds inbetween, starting with the 0 tech on the center and working out. Puts the 5 tech on the outside shoulder of the tackle by that logic which seems...reasonable.
  • And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

  • Option 3 includes no Ogbah?

    @gftchris said:

    Option 3 includes no Ogbah?

    Not at 275#... not in my base 3-4.

    I like my OLBs to be a little more versatile and Orchard carries that promise to my mind.

    Now in a 4-3 look? Sure... a Nassib-Allen-Shelton-Ogbah feels right... backed by Collins-Davis-Kirksey in the base or Collins-Kirksey in the nickel...

    Dime? Probably Collins...

  • If the season ends as it is today...

    That pick from Philly would be... #9 overall.

    Does that change any thinking?

    We could trade down from #9 to mid-teens and get an extra second-rounder for the trouble.. Or just grab one impact DL plus Trubisky in whatever order FO feels comfortable..

  • Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

    or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

  • And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

    @gftchris said:

    And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

  • If the season ends as it is today...

    That pick from Philly would be... #9 overall.

    Does that change any thinking?

    We could trade down from #9 to mid-teens and get an extra second-rounder for the trouble.. Or just grab one impact DL plus Trubisky in whatever order FO feels comfortable..

    @unsympathetic said:

    If the season ends as it is today...

    That pick from Philly would be... #9 overall.

    Does that change any thinking?

    We could trade down from #9 to mid-teens and get an extra second-rounder for the trouble.. Or just grab one impact DL plus Trubisky in whatever order FO feels comfortable..

    Trubisky will have to be taken #1 overall. He will not last beyond the top 3.....and unless the Browns have both 1 an 2, they will have to pick him 1.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    Jesus. Our 3 DL consisting of Allen, Shelton, and Bryant sounds pretty nasty. We'd still be missing an elite OLB pass rushing prospect, but still. Only issue with that is I don't see Desmond Bryant coming back. Not sure why I feel that way...but I do. Maybe he's an older, higher priced guy? Perhaps I heard something, but I would sure like to have him back. We need people that can get to the damn QB.

    or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

    @the-gipper said:

    or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

    @the-gipper said:

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

    Consecutive posts no less...

  • I thought we wanted Myles Garrett? If we keep Jaimee Collins and draft Garrett that would be a start

  • NO to any QB with #1 pick.

    Garrett is the sexy choice.

    Allen is the smart move.

  • @gftchris said:

    And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

    @the-gipper said:

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

    Who cares what Vince Lombardi said are you not more interested in Michael Lombardi's thoughts 🙂

  • @the-gipper said:

    or....err, uh, or....we need a QB

    @the-gipper said:

    Vince Lombardi said it: its all about blocking and tackling.

    Consecutive posts no less...

    @tour2ma said:

    Consecutive posts no less...

    You need it all: a good QB, good blocking, good tackling. Anyone that has watched any football knows that.

  • It's all about momentum, and right now, we don't have any reason to believe that Mitch's will slow down....ESPECIALLY in a year with down QB talent. But the next five months is when NFL people and sports writers "dig into people", and assuming Mitch measures up and doesn't have skeletons in his closet, then he should be a top 3 pick...probably #1. The combine will provide the real tale of the tape. If he has a good pro day and his measurements are close to what the school lists...then we're good to go. As funny as it might sound, I actually worry about us reeling off a win or two. Our team isn't going to tank the season, and we're going to be playing hard. I can just tell. The Chargers literally have NOTHING to play for, and Rivers has been known to turn the ball over. Keep in mind that the Bolts might also be leaving San Diego, so there is all kinds of stuff going on with them. If we're going to win a game, it might be that one. Additionally, the 49's get to play the Jets, and we REALLY want the 49's to win that game. Jets are now a disaster, and will be starting Bryce Petty over Fitzy.

  • the running joke in NY sports talk now is that the browns look at the jets and go "at least we're not the jets."

    their qb situation is as bad as ours, if not worse, but they do have some serious talent at certain positions..........more than i can say about the browns outside of thomas and a slowed haden.

    if we win a game and lose out on the consensus #1, whoever it is, then this season has really been fucking all for naught and will shine more light on the FO and franchise questioning whether or not they know what the fuck they're doing.

    now if they don't want the #1 pick then who cares?

  • Barnidge, Pryor, Danny Shelton, Duke Johnson,

    Collins, Kirksey, Meder, Ogbah, Colquitt, Coleman,

    Davis, Collins, Bitonio...Nassib..


    come on, man.

  • the running joke in NY sports talk now is that the browns look at the jets and go "at least we're not the jets."

    their qb situation is as bad as ours, if not worse, but they do have some serious talent at certain positions..........more than i can say about the browns outside of thomas and a slowed haden.

    if we win a game and lose out on the consensus #1, whoever it is, then this season has really been fucking all for naught and will shine more light on the FO and franchise questioning whether or not they know what the fuck they're doing.

    now if they don't want the #1 pick then who cares?

    @miktoxic said:

    their qb situation is as bad as ours, if not worse,

    if we win a game and lose out on the consensus #1, whoever it is,

    now if they don't want the #1 pick then who cares?

    Who is the Jets QB? Fitz still? Am thinking Chip owes us a Xmas present this weekend & upsets the Jets at home..

  • And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

    @gftchris said:

    And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

    Honesty to God, if you have a football rec league anywhere in your area... go give that shit a try. Reading and watching film is one thing, sure you can learn a great deal from it. Can't get the full experience until you've played the game.

    At field level and with repetition, things become easier to digest.

  • @gftchris said:

    And then the skills and aims (gap responsibility) of the players in those positions vary accordingly.

    Obviously being British I've not been raised with the sport as a second language but at a fundamental level it isn't massively complicated. That being said, each time there's a new aspect I'm starting from almost zero in trying to understand.

    Honesty to God, if you have a football rec league anywhere in your area... go give that shit a try. Reading and watching film is one thing, sure you can learn a great deal from it. Can't get the full experience until you've played the game.

    At field level and with repetition, things become easier to digest.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Honesty to God, if you have a football rec league anywhere in your area... go give that shit a try. Reading and watching film is one thing, sure you can learn a great deal from it. Can't get the full experience until you've played the game.

    At field level and with repetition, things become easier to digest.

    I would really doubt there are any American Football rec leagues in England unless things have drastically changed there. Am I wrong?

  • @miktoxic said:

    their qb situation is as bad as ours, if not worse,

    if we win a game and lose out on the consensus #1, whoever it is,

    now if they don't want the #1 pick then who cares?

    Who is the Jets QB? Fitz still? Am thinking Chip owes us a Xmas present this weekend & upsets the Jets at home..

    @gumby73 said:

    Who is the Jets QB? Fitz still? Am thinking Chip owes us a Xmas present this weekend & upsets the Jets at home..

    Petty has gotten the last two starts. Jets seeing what they have. Hackenberg will likely get a couple as well.

    Petty, my 2014 sleeper, has looked like an erratic rookie, but lord he throws a pretty, tight spiral. I'd give a conditional 6th for him.