That Tie
-
Punting and playing for the tie is the smart choice but one I doubt anyone on the sideline was considering at the time. I would have done the same play for the win it was a divisional game and if they win it might get them a home game in the playoffs, and if you didn't win defense travel and they got a good one. But as far as ot I would like to see them go the college style ot but move the ball back to the 50 to start. The problem with the way it is not by playing another quarter the teams that do statistically lose the next game more often than not.... not that we have to worry about that
-
Punting and playing for the tie is the smart choice but one I doubt anyone on the sideline was considering at the time. I would have done the same play for the win it was a divisional game and if they win it might get them a home game in the playoffs, and if you didn't win defense travel and they got a good one. But as far as ot I would like to see them go the college style ot but move the ball back to the 50 to start. The problem with the way it is not by playing another quarter the teams that do statistically lose the next game more often than not.... not that we have to worry about that
Punting and playing for the tie is the smart choice but one I doubt anyone on the sideline was considering at the time. I would have done the same play for the win it was a divisional game and if they win it might get them a home game in the playoffs, and if you didn't win defense travel and they got a good one. But as far as ot I would like to see them go the college style ot but move the ball back to the 50 to start. The problem with the way it is not by playing another quarter the teams that do statistically lose the next game more often than not.... not that we have to worry about that
Personally- I hate college OT rules. Much prefer pro OT- with one exception. Both teams get a chance to possess the ball, not first team scores a TD game over.
I like that situation because of reason A
But I hate that a tie is even a possible outcome in the NFL - I'd suspect more people will talk about that rather than that they should have played for a tie.
Hmmmm... if the Broncos had just gone for it on 4th and hadn't made it- they probably wouldn't have given up the extra seven yards on a missed FG. & BB ties have always been a part of the NFL. Probably before your time- there wasn't even a pro OT. 4 quarters, game tied = game over.
-
Yes Gipper, fuck the Broncos.
But my 2 cents, they should have punted. Yeah the game was in Denver, where kickers have an edge with the altitude, but even in a dome, 62 yards is a long way. I believe the record is still 63 yards (done twice), so it was a dumb coaching move (that I enjoyed in the end, fuck Kubiak too).
I didn't like it when the NFL ended the tie in 1974. The Browns went 7-5-2 in '73, nothing wrong with it. I think Oakland and San Diego tied all the time when I was a kid. Teams desperately tried to use a 2 minute drill to break ties then, as they do now.
Different sport, but the Philadelphia Flyers went 17-35-24 in 1970.
-
There's no excuse for every NFL team to not have gameplanned all playoff scenarios for the purpose of informing the coach of the risk/reward scenarios during the next game.
Yes, everything looks good if it works out.... but the coach should be expected to know that punting actually is the best choice, because the chance of success from that ridiculous FG was much lower than the chance of success from punting and playing D.
Similarly... I could call up Kate Upton and ask her out -- but that's not something I'll be doing, because the CHANCE OF a bad outcome far outweighs the CHANCE OF any rewards.
-
Yes Gipper, fuck the Broncos.
But my 2 cents, they should have punted. Yeah the game was in Denver, where kickers have an edge with the altitude, but even in a dome, 62 yards is a long way. I believe the record is still 63 yards (done twice), so it was a dumb coaching move (that I enjoyed in the end, fuck Kubiak too).
I didn't like it when the NFL ended the tie in 1974. The Browns went 7-5-2 in '73, nothing wrong with it. I think Oakland and San Diego tied all the time when I was a kid. Teams desperately tried to use a 2 minute drill to break ties then, as they do now.
Different sport, but the Philadelphia Flyers went 17-35-24 in 1970.
Yes Gipper, fuck the Broncos.
But my 2 cents, they should have punted. Yeah the game was in Denver, where kickers have an edge with the altitude, but even in a dome, 62 yards is a long way. I believe the record is still 63 yards (done twice), so it was a dumb coaching move (that I enjoyed in the end, fuck Kubiak too).
I didn't like it when the NFL ended the tie in 1974. The Browns went 7-5-2 in '73, nothing wrong with it. I think Oakland and San Diego tied all the time when I was a kid. Teams desperately tried to use a 2 minute drill to break ties then, as they do now.
Different sport, but the Philadelphia Flyers went 17-35-24 in 1970.
I kinda liked the Tie too.
I liked the older OT system better than the new one, and the college system is the worst.
They keep making it convoluted .. it is not football.
If I recall, and I will check this, the first overtime game was Denver and Pittsburgh ... and it ended in a 35-35 tie.
Zombo
-
Punting and playing for the tie is the smart choice but one I doubt anyone on the sideline was considering at the time. I would have done the same play for the win it was a divisional game and if they win it might get them a home game in the playoffs, and if you didn't win defense travel and they got a good one. But as far as ot I would like to see them go the college style ot but move the ball back to the 50 to start. The problem with the way it is not by playing another quarter the teams that do statistically lose the next game more often than not.... not that we have to worry about that
Punting and playing for the tie is the smart choice but one I doubt anyone on the sideline was considering at the time. I would have done the same play for the win it was a divisional game and if they win it might get them a home game in the playoffs, and if you didn't win defense travel and they got a good one. But as far as ot I would like to see them go the college style ot but move the ball back to the 50 to start. The problem with the way it is not by playing another quarter the teams that do statistically lose the next game more often than not.... not that we have to worry about that
Fuck that going to the college style and anyone who would even think it.
-
I like that situation because of reason A
But I hate that a tie is even a possible outcome in the NFL - I'd suspect more people will talk about that rather than that they should have played for a tie.
I am OK with the occasional tie. If Denver loses a playoff bid because they didn't want to play for the tie, do you think they would regret it?
Too many ties is not good. I mean, look at this: http://www.mlssoccer.com/standings
Some teams have more ties than wins or losses.
This isn't as bad:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/standings
But...I hate fucking gimmicks to break a tie. Shootouts is a useless concept. So is the college OT rules which may be as bad or worse.
But, those 2-3 ties in a season in the NFL, I got no problem with.
I am OK with the occasional tie. If Denver loses a playoff bid because they didn't want to play for the tie, do you think they would regret it?
Too many ties is not good. I mean, look at this: http://www.mlssoccer.com/standings
Some teams have more ties than wins or losses.
This isn't as bad:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/standings
But...I hate fucking gimmicks to break a tie. Shootouts is a useless concept. So is the college OT rules which may be as bad or worse.
But, those 2-3 ties in a season in the NFL, I got no problem with.
Soccer is gay.
-
I am OK with the occasional tie. If Denver loses a playoff bid because they didn't want to play for the tie, do you think they would regret it?
Too many ties is not good. I mean, look at this: http://www.mlssoccer.com/standings
Some teams have more ties than wins or losses.
This isn't as bad:
http://www.espn.com/nhl/standings
But...I hate fucking gimmicks to break a tie. Shootouts is a useless concept. So is the college OT rules which may be as bad or worse.
But, those 2-3 ties in a season in the NFL, I got no problem with.
Soccer is gay.
Soccer is gay.
Get rid of offsides....it would open the game up....and you would not have these absurd ties.
-
Haha
-
Soccer is gay.
Get rid of offsides....it would open the game up....and you would not have these absurd ties.
I don't mind ties, but I really like Thai...
Get rid of offsides....it would open the game up....and you would not have these absurd ties.
Same can't be said for our "football"...
-
Soccer is gay.
Get rid of offsides....it would open the game up....and you would not have these absurd ties.
Get rid of offsides....it would open the game up....and you would not have these absurd ties.
Ha Gip, there's offsides in hockey too. But in regard to soccer- which I've grown to appreciate- you get rid of offsides, you'd just have guys continually parking in front of the goal (same deal in hockey). Doubtless it would increase scoring exponentially- but then you could hardly call it soccer.
To those who say soccer is gay- you have your heads in the sand. All you need to do is look at the TV coverage now, as opposed to 5 years ago. Popularity of the sport is increasing dramatically. Heck 15 years ago, I seriously doubt the US- Mexico qualifier would have even made it to television. It wasn't that long ago even the World Cup (yeah that event that gets the highest TV ratings worldwide) didn't even make it to US television. I said years ago that soccer would take off as the kids who played soccer instead of football in grade school and high school became adults. Now they're coaches - and the US is finally producing players that are legitimate stars on the world stage.

-
Get rid of offsides....it would open the game up....and you would not have these absurd ties.
Ha Gip, there's offsides in hockey too. But in regard to soccer- which I've grown to appreciate- you get rid of offsides, you'd just have guys continually parking in front of the goal (same deal in hockey). Doubtless it would increase scoring exponentially- but then you could hardly call it soccer.
To those who say soccer is gay- you have your heads in the sand. All you need to do is look at the TV coverage now, as opposed to 5 years ago. Popularity of the sport is increasing dramatically. Heck 15 years ago, I seriously doubt the US- Mexico qualifier would have even made it to television. It wasn't that long ago even the World Cup (yeah that event that gets the highest TV ratings worldwide) didn't even make it to US television. I said years ago that soccer would take off as the kids who played soccer instead of football in grade school and high school became adults. Now they're coaches - and the US is finally producing players that are legitimate stars on the world stage.

-
Get rid of offsides....it would open the game up....and you would not have these absurd ties.
Ha Gip, there's offsides in hockey too. But in regard to soccer- which I've grown to appreciate- you get rid of offsides, you'd just have guys continually parking in front of the goal (same deal in hockey). Doubtless it would increase scoring exponentially- but then you could hardly call it soccer.
To those who say soccer is gay- you have your heads in the sand. All you need to do is look at the TV coverage now, as opposed to 5 years ago. Popularity of the sport is increasing dramatically. Heck 15 years ago, I seriously doubt the US- Mexico qualifier would have even made it to television. It wasn't that long ago even the World Cup (yeah that event that gets the highest TV ratings worldwide) didn't even make it to US television. I said years ago that soccer would take off as the kids who played soccer instead of football in grade school and high school became adults. Now they're coaches - and the US is finally producing players that are legitimate stars on the world stage.

Ha Gip, there's offsides in hockey too. But in regard to soccer- which I've grown to appreciate- you get rid of offsides, you'd just have guys continually parking in front of the goal (same deal in hockey). Doubtless it would increase scoring exponentially- but then you could hardly call it soccer.
Well....WTF is a shootout...nothing but the same thing. Just have your shootout in the course of the game, rather than at the end using it as a gimmick.
To those who say soccer is gay- you have your heads in the sand. All you need to do is look at the TV coverage now, as opposed to 5 years ago. Popularity of the sport is increasing dramatically. Heck 15 years ago, I seriously doubt the US- Mexico qualifier would have even made it to television. It wasn't that long ago even the World Cup (yeah that event that gets the highest TV ratings worldwide) didn't even make it to US television. I said years ago that soccer would take off as the kids who played soccer instead of football in grade school and high school became adults. Now they're coaches - and the US is finally producing players that are legitimate stars on the world stage.

I don't think soccer is making much of a dent in ratings...compared to other sports.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login