Skip to content

Once in a Lifetime?

The Browns Board
64 25 2.9k
  • Randy Moss was one of a kind. I had the pleasure of seeing him play in person 7-8 times. At his physical peak, he was the fastest guy in the league, combined with his lateral quickness. He also had the highest vertical, insanely long arms, and some of the surest hands ever. To this day, I still say that if he had even half of Jerry Rice's work ethic, he would have shattered every receiving record. He revived some QB's careers (Cunningham), and in some instances, made them (Culpepper, Cassel).

    Megatron was stronger than Moss, but he lacked Moss' breakaway speed. Moss also had the most ridiculous acceleration, as if he were being shot out of a cannon.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Even tho Von is shorter, lighter and faster?

    Not as much faster than you may think. I'm just saying that he has the talent to play OLB very effectively and would be a QB's nightmare. You don't think Ware isn't also a threat from the ROLB spot? He is closer to Garret's size. Clowney is an even better example with being nearly the same size with similar speed to Garrett. Now that his injuries are better he is coming into his own even without JJ. I just believe you can put him in that ROLB spot in the 3-4 and he will be very productive.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Not as much faster than you may think. I'm just saying that he has the talent to play OLB very effectively and would be a QB's nightmare. You don't think Ware isn't also a threat from the ROLB spot? He is closer to Garret's size. Clowney is an even better example with being nearly the same size with similar speed to Garrett. Now that his injuries are better he is coming into his own even without JJ. I just believe you can put him in that ROLB spot in the 3-4 and he will be very productive.

    0.15 seconds difference in the 40 per DraftScout. Von posted a 1.62 in the 10-yd split and a 4.49 at the Combine. Clowney? 1.59 on his way to a 4.52. And Clowney is playing almost exclusively at DE with his hand on the ground. HOU tried standing him up in their base 3-4. They have pretty much given up on that. Now he stands almost exclusively in their dime packages when 10, if not 11, of their defenders are standing.

    Individually you can argue ht., wt. and speed, but they tend to add up to agility. The greatest measured difference between Von and Clowney is their 3-cone... 6.70 vs. 7.27. The difference between a DE and an OLB. Who is Myles going to post closer to?

    "Very Productive"??? I hope you are not reducing your "guarantee" to that he will be "very productive". A "very productive" #1 overall edge-guy = "disappointing". Plus there's the nature of the productivity you see. Pass rush and edge setting? That sounds DE-ish to me. Rush + Edge + Pass Defender? OLB-like.

    All that said, I'm not disputing Myles' talent to be #1-worthy. I'm challenging the application of that talent to a position other than 4-3 DE at the next level. And you are not allaying my fears.

    And wasn't war's point that Von was playing OLB at TAMU whereas Garrett plays DE?

    @jiggins7919 said:

    3. Walter Jones, Guard from FSU. Many might not remember this guy, and who honestly remembers Guards? Jones was a JUCO transfer to FSU, started for a bit and destroyed every single person he played against, and then became the best Guard in the NFL for about a decade.

    Walter Jones... the retired, HOF Seashawks' LT? Was he a Guard at FSU?

  • Would you prefer "a top 5 productive NFL defender?" Or maybe "a terror for opposing QBs"? I'll go with those. And we shall see how he does in the combine. That will depend upon whether he is then fully recovered from the high ankle sprain which has nagged him since Ark. game. At this point I would not put much stock in it unless I hear him say he is now 100%. So far he has not said that.

  • Yep, he was at FSU for about 8 months, but I believe he was a tackle, not a guard. Sorry about that. Walked in from JUCO ball, dominated every single person he played against, and then went to the NFL for about 12 years. He was a grown-ass man. I think he only played 11 games for FSU, and then he went straight to the NFL and continued to whip ass. He played LT for the Seahawks and was one of the reasons Shawn Alexander ran for a billion yards.

    Randy Moss is an excellent addition to this list. Funny thing about Randy Moss that not everyone knows is he played for my boys at Florida State for about 3 months until he got kicked out for smoking weed all day. I was a freshman in college when Moss was there, and he showed up at the rec center when I was playing basketball. Moss looked like a freak of nature. He was pretty tall, but he seemed taller because he was SO thin. And believe me when I say he was so damn fast, it didn't make sense. He didn't run, he GLIDED across the floor, and then he didn't jump...he BOUNCED. Letting him go was one of the hardest thing Bobby Bowden had to do.

  • Fine, Ag... pumps your promise back up, but you're still listing skills based on seeing him with his hand in the dirt.

    Myles should have plenty of time to heal up before the Combine, but he may not be able to get in all the "sprinter training" he'd like to shave down his times or tech training to pump up his jumps.

  • Something I didn't know about Garrett, but apparently he's a really good guy to boot. Like, he's into community programs, wants to be a mentor, and doesn't have a hint of scandal in his background. Of course, all that can change when the asshole media people dig into a kid's life, but whatever. Apparently Garrett is the kind of guy you want representing your franchise.

  • Yep, he was at FSU for about 8 months, but I believe he was a tackle, not a guard. Sorry about that. Walked in from JUCO ball, dominated every single person he played against, and then went to the NFL for about 12 years. He was a grown-ass man. I think he only played 11 games for FSU, and then he went straight to the NFL and continued to whip ass. He played LT for the Seahawks and was one of the reasons Shawn Alexander ran for a billion yards.

    Randy Moss is an excellent addition to this list. Funny thing about Randy Moss that not everyone knows is he played for my boys at Florida State for about 3 months until he got kicked out for smoking weed all day. I was a freshman in college when Moss was there, and he showed up at the rec center when I was playing basketball. Moss looked like a freak of nature. He was pretty tall, but he seemed taller because he was SO thin. And believe me when I say he was so damn fast, it didn't make sense. He didn't run, he GLIDED across the floor, and then he didn't jump...he BOUNCED. Letting him go was one of the hardest thing Bobby Bowden had to do.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Yep, he was at FSU for about 8 months, but I believe he was a tackle, not a guard. Sorry about that. Walked in from JUCO ball, dominated every single person he played against, and then went to the NFL for about 12 years. He was a grown-ass man. I think he only played 11 games for FSU, and then he went straight to the NFL and continued to whip ass. He played LT for the Seahawks and was one of the reasons Shawn Alexander ran for a billion yards.

    Jones was a great LT. Easy Top 5...

    He may not have been in "your lifetime", but there is only one OT I'd consider to be the Oncer... Anthony Munoz... best I've ever seen... my GOAT. But as I more or less said above, for me, a Oncer has to be a super-GOAT and there are a couple others that may be close enough to AM that I can't quite go there.

    Hadn't really thought about Anthony to this point, tho... which in itself would tend to eliminate the position. As would the fact that I'd still have to think on his inclusion.

  • Something I didn't know about Garrett, but apparently he's a really good guy to boot. Like, he's into community programs, wants to be a mentor, and doesn't have a hint of scandal in his background. Of course, all that can change when the asshole media people dig into a kid's life, but whatever. Apparently Garrett is the kind of guy you want representing your franchise.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Something I didn't know about Garrett, but apparently he's a really good guy to boot. Like, he's into community programs, wants to be a mentor, and doesn't have a hint of scandal in his background. Of course, all that can change when the asshole media people dig into a kid's life, but whatever. Apparently Garrett is the kind of guy you want representing your franchise.

    Nice looking, quick-to-smile kid to boot with a great speaking voice and some presser chops. Real "Face of..." potential there.

  • To clarify, in 09 when Von posted 18 sacks or whatever it was (junior year), he was at DE. But he did go to OLB as a senior.

  • Myles had an older brother who was a pro NBA player but ruined it with the wacky weed. His older sister was a track star like their mother. I found an article from 2015 that pretty well sums him up.

    "Myles loves them both, but he knows what their stories tell him. “My brother was an example for what not to do,” he says. “The weed, it’s a distraction. A lot of other things can be distractions—girls, other drugs, fame and ego. I don’t want any of that to distract me from my main goal, which is going to the NFL and being the best defensive lineman or player who ever played.” He also said he has never used drugs or alcohol because of what happened to his brother.

  • @logicisforsquares said:

    I want Garrett or Allen at #1. I am not on board with any QB in this class going #1. Trubisky at the Eagles pick I can live with.

    You won't live with it because he won't be there.

    What the fuck is wrong with you dimbulbs that don't get that? So many of you say get MT with the Eagles pick. Unless they take away 3-4 of the Eagles wins from them this year to reduce their total to like 1 win, that pick will not garner Trubisky.

    @the-gipper said:

    You won't live with it because he won't be there.

    What the fuck is wrong with you dimbulbs that don't get that? So many of you say get MT with the Eagles pick. Unless they take away 3-4 of the Eagles wins from them this year to reduce their total to like 1 win, that pick will not garner Trubisky.

    I really don't give a shit about getting Trubisky thus the living with it (tolerating it) at the Eagles pick. Two defenders in the first round in a talented defensive class is my preference.

    Taking a swing at #1 on a QB in a weak QB class would be a very Browns move.

  • Gip is locked in until May come hell or high water.

  • Barry Sanders was fun to watch. So many highlight runs for a team that usually struggled.

    Larry Fitzgerald is another to consider. Hands like Biletnekoff, speed like Rice.

  • Gip is locked in until May come hell or high water.

    @logicisforsquares said:

    Gip is locked in until May come hell or high water.

    Yep. That's what sucks. Happy to discuss players a guy likes. But you have to be open minded. This is gonna be a beating.

  • Myles had an older brother who was a pro NBA player but ruined it with the wacky weed. His older sister was a track star like their mother. I found an article from 2015 that pretty well sums him up.

    "Myles loves them both, but he knows what their stories tell him. “My brother was an example for what not to do,” he says. “The weed, it’s a distraction. A lot of other things can be distractions—girls, other drugs, fame and ego. I don’t want any of that to distract me from my main goal, which is going to the NFL and being the best defensive lineman or player who ever played.” He also said he has never used drugs or alcohol because of what happened to his brother.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Myles had an older brother who was a pro NBA player but ruined it with the wacky weed. His older sister was a track star like their mother. I found an article from 2015 that pretty well sums him up.

    "Myles loves them both, but he knows what their stories tell him. “My brother was an example for what not to do,” he says. “The weed, it’s a distraction. A lot of other things can be distractions—girls, other drugs, fame and ego. I don’t want any of that to distract me from my main goal, which is going to the NFL and being the best defensive lineman or player who ever played.” He also said he has never used drugs or alcohol because of what happened to his brother.

    THAT comes under the category of hellacool...

    @wargograw said:

    This is gonna be a beating.

    We can take it! 😉