Skip to content

Camp Allen

The Browns Board
41 15 1.3k
  • Allen is where I started, but the woo-birds have me thinking about Garrett now.

    Allen seems a sure fire, 3-4 DE fit and a great DT for four-man looks in nickles and dimes. High floor... very, very low risk...

    Garrett is the sexy choice. Has the higher ceiling/ impact potential, but... and I am still hung up on the same "but"... he brings more risk to a 3-4.

    Then there's the disposition we've discussed a couple times...

    And lately I have been thinking on a third difference as well that leans me Allen's way. Durability... not in the sense that Garrett's more injury prone or anything, but rather that his key, innate component, speed is more susceptible to injury diminishment than Allen's keys: "quicks" and strength.

    All that said... I do not think there is a bad choice between the two, but there is a safer one.

  • i see allen as a perfect 3-4 olb'er. Send him deep in man 1.

  • i see allen as a perfect 3-4 olb'er. Send him deep in man 1.

    @clevfan4life said:

    i see allen as a perfect 3-4 olb'er. Send him deep in man 1.

    I get you're trying to be sarcastic... but to what end?

  • Allen is where I started, but the woo-birds have me thinking about Garrett now.

    Allen seems a sure fire, 3-4 DE fit and a great DT for four-man looks in nickles and dimes. High floor... very, very low risk...

    Garrett is the sexy choice. Has the higher ceiling/ impact potential, but... and I am still hung up on the same "but"... he brings more risk to a 3-4.

    Then there's the disposition we've discussed a couple times...

    And lately I have been thinking on a third difference as well that leans me Allen's way. Durability... not in the sense that Garrett's more injury prone or anything, but rather that his key, innate component, speed is more susceptible to injury diminishment than Allen's keys: "quicks" and strength.

    All that said... I do not think there is a bad choice between the two, but there is a safer one.

    @tour2ma said:

    Allen is where I started, but the woo-birds have me thinking about Garrett now.

    Allen seems a sure fire, 3-4 DE fit and a great DT for four-man looks in nickles and dimes. High floor... very, very low risk...

    Garrett is the sexy choice. Has the higher ceiling/ impact potential, but... and I am still hung up on the same "but"... he brings more risk to a 3-4.

    Then there's the disposition we've discussed a couple times...

    And lately I have been thinking on a third difference as well that leans me Allen's way. Durability... not in the sense that Garrett's more injury prone or anything, but rather that his key, innate component, speed is more susceptible to injury diminishment than Allen's keys: "quicks" and strength.

    All that said... I do not think there is a bad choice between the two, but there is a safer one.

    Those are my additional thoughts.

    Ultimately with a franchise devoid of talent, seeking impact and lasting picks - I see Allen as the safer, thus smarter play.

    His first step isn't Aaron Donald, as he's a tad bigger. That said,it isn't far off.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    i see allen as a perfect 3-4 olb'er. Send him deep in man 1.

    I get you're trying to be sarcastic... but to what end?

    @tiamat63 said:

    I get you're trying to be sarcastic... but to what end?

    its just what we do in cleveland. I mean they stood ogbah up at the beginning of the season. Rheetarded

  • but yeah count me in to camp ogbah. Even if we stay in this stupid 3-4 he's the better pick. Even better if we go to the 4-3 next year as he can play inside and strong side DE. Dude takes the shortest route to the QB of all the pass rushers i see coming out this year.

  • Leaning this way but I'm gonna wait until I see what pick we have, injury status after bowl games, etc. There are a lot of guys I'm cool with right now.

  • Our o line is min 2 years away from being able to keep a rookie from dying before our 1st bye week. So im in no mood for a QB with the 1st pick

  • that makes no sense, as usual. you want to draft oline with the first pick?

  • that makes no sense, as usual. you want to draft oline with the first pick?

    @calfoxwc said:

    that makes no sense, as usual. you want to draft oline with the first pick?

    Wait....what?

  • that makes no sense, as usual. you want to draft oline with the first pick?

    @calfoxwc said:

    that makes no sense, as usual. you want to draft oline with the first pick?

    I'm vexed on many levels. First off, this is a camp allen thread...to which I've said I belong. And that is in large part to do with the fact that there is no, as far as I know, o line prospect that would warrant the 1st pick. Second, what are you not getting about the potential folly of drafting a QB with the 1st pick when we can't get our line situation figured out? This season we've had 4 QB's get hurt....what sense does it make to add another one for next year?

  • To build off Cleve's points - I'm looking at a scenario where the front office trades down a potential top 10 Philly pick (not too far, mind you - 16,17) where we can net an additional 2nd rounder. At that point take Elflein and see where Watson, Mitch and Kizer fall.

    If San Fran doesn't go QB at 3 or if Chicago doesn't as well, one of those 3 could very likely be available with our first pick in the 2nd.

    Afterwards at that point I look at DB, TE and linebacker. Sorry, not sold on Foster as a top 10 backer. At least, not at the moment.

  • Would anyone be opposed to trading down to the #3 pick? Bortles looks like he might be done in Jax, and they're gonna be looking for a QB. I feel like we can still get Allen with the #3 pick...

  • Would anyone be opposed to trading down to the #3 pick? Bortles looks like he might be done in Jax, and they're gonna be looking for a QB. I feel like we can still get Allen with the #3 pick...

    @secondwave said:

    Would anyone be opposed to trading down to the #3 pick? Bortles looks like he might be done in Jax, and they're gonna be looking for a QB. I feel like we can still get Allen with the #3 pick...

    IF they offer a trade up, it's for a QB. I MAAAAAAY be willing to listen to that. Because at which point you're still guaranteed Allen or Garrett.

  • But people will say that someone moving up for a QB proves there is a QB worth taking in this draft. And most agree that if there is one, we should take him.

  • Garrett.... And then get a replacement for Wooden Legs Erving

  • That's cool. Make your own thread.

  • That's cool. Make your own thread.

    @tiamat63 said:

    That's cool. Make your own thread.

    I like Allen man, and I agree with you, i'm just more into the more high upside player.

  • I'd be happy as a pig in slop with either Allen or Garrett. Either one would be a day one impact player, especially if we can find a way to get Foster as our 2nd #1, another day one impact player. I'm actually happy with a coin flip on the first two, but Foster is one we should consider a trade up for IMO, depending upon where the Philly pick is in the draft.

  • I'd be happy as a pig in slop with either Allen or Garrett. Either one would be a day one impact player, especially if we can find a way to get Foster as our 2nd #1, another day one impact player. I'm actually happy with a coin flip on the first two, but Foster is one we should consider a trade up for IMO, depending upon where the Philly pick is in the draft.

    @texasag1969 said:

    I'd be happy as a pig in slop with either Allen or Garrett. Either one would be a day one impact player, especially if we can find a way to get Foster as our 2nd #1, another day one impact player. I'm actually happy with a coin flip on the first two, but Foster is one we should consider a trade up for IMO, depending upon where the Philly pick is in the draft.

    The Philly pick sits at 8 and continues to drop down. Being able to get Foster is looking very likely.

    I would be totally on board with an Allen (my preference) or Garrett then Foster first round.