Skip to content

Ray Horton out

The Browns Board
92 30 3.5k
  • Great news! Phillips is a massive upgrade especially in terms of sound schemes.

  • Mary Kay Cabot ‏@MaryKayCabot 4m4 minutes ago
    Mary Kay Cabot@MaryKayCabot
    #Browns also reached out to fired Jaguars coach Gus Bradley about their DC job, source said. He's a top candidate for #Redskins DC job


    #Browns also reached out to fired Jaguars coach Gus Bradley about their DC job, source said. He's a top candidate for #Redskins DC job


  • Well anyone who takes the position had better get a guarantee that the top 3 in the draft for the Browns will be defensive players.

  • Well anyone who takes the position had better get a guarantee that the top 3 in the draft for the Browns will be defensive players.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Well anyone who takes the position had better get a guarantee that the top 3 in the draft for the Browns will be defensive players.

    good luck with that!

  • wow. I mean im not devestated but fuck....i didn't think they'd do another 1 and done with him.

    @clevfan4life said:

    wow. I mean im not devestated but fuck....i didn't think they'd do another 1 and done with him.

    Why not? Went to the stats. 31st in point allowed, 31st in yards allowed, T 30th in rush defense, and dead last in sacks. Makes me think they just might possible go defense with the first two picks.

    @bob806 said:

    Williams is a 4-3 guy.

    Hooray!!!!

    Mostly to reply to Tour, Williams is a lot younger than Wade, but then Lebeau coached until he was 80.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Well anyone who takes the position had better get a guarantee that the top 3 in the draft for the Browns will be defensive players.

    good luck with that!

    @miktoxic said:

    good luck with that!

    It's a seller's market and the Browns are the desperate buyers. If it was me I'd insist as a part of taking the job.

  • We had some close games in the beginning of the season where we could have won a few if it weren't for the defense, so I understand if someone had to go it was Horton...the offense, at least in the beginning, wasn't that bad. Especially the running game. So im not a big fan of Horton, but i just can't help but feel this isn't good. The new guy is gonna come in here and do what that defense? It's very young and needs a few years. And now we're throwing a likely scheme change at them as well. If we do go to a 4-3 it won't really affect the D line much, if anything it'll be good for Nassib and Ogbah. But LB'ers might be a problem especially if williams comes in. The williams defense is apparently pretty complex for the LB'ers and secondary....so if they're out of sync don't expect much from the DL if QB's only need 1s to get rid of the ball.

  • @ghoolie said:

    Horton is not the problem. It isn't Horton's fault that the Browns don't score, that they drop passes, fumble Pick-6 TDs, commit penalties, miss tackles, kicks and blocks. It isn't Horton's fault Hue went a whole year and none of that shit improved. Sorry shit pimples, Hue is not going to magically change that around.

    Okay Beaver Breath. Exhale and read. TN went from earning the right to draft 1st overall in 2016, which they traded back in order to draft one of those dime a dozen Offensive Linemen by the name of Jack Conklin. Conklin made 1st Team All Pro as TN improved to 9 wins behind a strong running game and much improved passing game. Not to get lost in all of that was the change from Ray Horton to Dick LeBeau at DC to make better rested legs on defense far more productive.

    I suppose we can keep pretending Ray Horton and Jimmy O'Neil are just terrific DCs that only seem to interest teams like TN, SF or Cleveland (destined to compete for the right to draft first overall). Like Horton, O'Neil's next gig would only be 1 year. Sure both guys could have used more talent; but they could have also used more sound schemes to put more guys in better position to make tackles.

    Where you have a point is Hue could have made a better attempt to understand recent history here and avoid hiring Horton back here altogether. I didn't see the zone blitz scheme pressuring opponents passers until week 15 vrs SD and the final week vrs Pitt's backup QB (with only a couple starts to his name). Way too little way too late. Until then, his zone coverage transitions left a lot of ghost towns for opponent's to bullseye in their game plans week after week.

  • @orion said:

    Williams is the Bounty Gate guy, am I right?

    1ablog-roethlisbergerhurtx-large.jpg

    Zombo said:

    1ablog-roethlisbergerhurtx-large.jpg

    LMAO...

    Dammit... Z... you made me wake the wife...

  • I said for weeks and weeks that while defensive talent was minimal, the schemes Horton ran and has run in his career are just bad and don't work. I'm not mad at this move in the slightest.

    And Ghoolie goes brain dead...

    The stupid motherfucker doesn't even see a DC upgrade as a positive when it's in his face.

    Doesn't know the say an HC has in his staff.

    See ya in a couple months... if you're still here... until then Imma firing up the ignore machine exclusively for you... again.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I said for weeks and weeks that while defensive talent was minimal, the schemes Horton ran and has run in his career are just bad and don't work. I'm not mad at this move in the slightest.

    I actually liked the job Ray did this go'round better... At least he went with more 4-man fronts this time and seemed to try to adjust to "the talent" he had to work with...

    But, yes, he just isn't good enough.

    #Hoping4Bum'sSon

  • I think the firing of Ray Horton has signaled that Hue now has less input with the team to be honest. RG3 and Ray Horton are arguably his biggest blunders this season and just a few weeks ago he said he would not release any member of his staff. RG3 at least can be explained away as a longshot. but too over commit to him so early and with so much time better spent on training our young players is incompetence. I hope this has humbled Jackson and will recommit him to the team rather than to some sort of odd "QB Whisperer" "Offensive Genius". Horton was hired because of his skin color combined. Jackson is on record saying that he personally would like to give minority coaches more chances and first crack at posistions on his coaching staff.... That being said NONE of the coaches suggested for the browns DC posistion are minorities. Implying that Jackson had little to no input in this coaching change. Further the coaches linked all have previous HC experience. Meaning the Front Office is setting it up so that if we perform poorly in the beginning of next season a replacement HC is in order.

  • Don't entirely disagree, but did not want to waste the opportunity to cuss out Ghoolie before I exiled him...

    I don't agree on the race thing. While it seems natural for a Black HC who has worked long and hard for his opportunities to want to extend a hand to others in his situation, no HC takes on a substandard coordinator just "because"... there's simply too much at stake.

    I'm hard pressed to remember the other DC's not named O'Neil that were floating around at the time Hue assembled his staff, but I know our two(?) rumored candidates weren't among them. Even had our D played better than it did (although beyond better blitz schemes, I do not know how it would have) the two names being floated would be clear upgrades.

    Plus while we're recalling reports... wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that a shouting match between Hue and Ray was being reported?

  • Don't entirely disagree, but did not want to waste the opportunity to cuss out Ghoolie before I exiled him...

    I don't agree on the race thing. While it seems natural for a Black HC who has worked long and hard for his opportunities to want to extend a hand to others in his situation, no HC takes on a substandard coordinator just "because"... there's simply too much at stake.

    I'm hard pressed to remember the other DC's not named O'Neil that were floating around at the time Hue assembled his staff, but I know our two(?) rumored candidates weren't among them. Even had our D played better than it did (although beyond better blitz schemes, I do not know how it would have) the two names being floated would be clear upgrades.

    Plus while we're recalling reports... wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that a shouting match between Hue and Ray was being reported?

    @tour2ma said:

    Plus while we're recalling reports... wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that a shouting match between Hue and Ray was being reported?

    oh no shit? is this verified?

  • Horton is not fired...Yet. Greg Williams has till Monday to decide on the offer but Horty is still here. Awkward.

  • @orion said:

    Williams is the Bounty Gate guy, am I right?

    1ablog-roethlisbergerhurtx-large.jpg

    Zombo said:

    1ablog-roethlisbergerhurtx-large.jpg

    I wonder how many of his rape victims have celebrated this picture...

  • @clevfan4life said:

    Why pref for Wade?

    Some is just bloodlines, but mostly track record. Hasn't gone anywhere that he hasn't resurrected the D. Sustain? Somewhat different matter, but most of his moving on has been when HCs are let go above him.

    I also think his HC experience would be an asset to Hue.

    @tour2ma said:

    Some is just bloodlines, but mostly track record. Hasn't gone anywhere that he hasn't resurrected the D. Sustain? Somewhat different matter, but most of his moving on has been when HCs are let go above him.

    I also think his HC experience would be an asset to Hue.

    I like Wade best too. That said, Greg Williams also has HC experience in Buffalo even if it's one he'd like to forget. With both buys, they're best wired to be DCs. I think Williams has SB experience as a DC in TN. I can't remember if he was also the DC of New Orleans when they won the SB; but there's a pretty resume for him on that side of the ball.

  • Gregg Williams won't be much of an upgrade, if any, at points or yards given up. He had arguably the top DL in all of football this past season.. and just like in 2014, he was the #1 blitzer in all of football this past year as well. That's not "aggressive" -- that just gets you beat via draws and screens. We don't have the DB personnel that Arizona does to be top10 in points given up with their number of blitzes in 2016. Rams this past year blitzed 44% of the time with only 17 sacks.. not enough sacks, not enough INT..

    My vote would go to Wade, but apparently the offer's already out to Gregg.

    This will make Collins even better [he's ILB, not OLB] when he blitzes. Not a single sack in Collins’ career has come from anywhere besides up the middle.. so 4-3 will be better for him.

  • I thoughtbthe rams lost most of that DL talent? Anyway, few years ago when they lostbtheir best pass rusher for half the season (long) they were still one if the best front 7's in football. Thats what i liked about that rams d, they had injuries throughout the defensive front and production didnt dip.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Plus while we're recalling reports... wasn't it just a couple weeks ago that a shouting match between Hue and Ray was being reported?

    oh no shit? is this verified?

    @clevfan4life said:

    oh no shit? is this verified?

    .

    I'm trying to... google coming up empty, but I know I read an account somewhere. I think it was in the Browns' reddit sub. Still looking, but it's harder to dredge up "threads" over there.

    @flyingfooldoug said:

    Horton is not fired...Yet. Greg Williams has till Monday to decide on the offer but Horty is still here. Awkward.

    Awkward plus...

    @flugel said:

    I like Wade best too. That said, Greg Williams also has HC experience in Buffalo even if it's one he'd like to forget. With both buys, they're best wired to be DCs. I think Williams has SB experience as a DC in TN. I can't remember if he was also the DC of New Orleans when they won the SB; but there's a pretty resume for him on that side of the ball.

    That was Gregg as DC in NOLA's SB year. His D was 20th in points allowed and 25th in yards. But NO was geared to outscore opponents and #1 in both categories on Offense, so there was a lot of prevent D late in games.

    Gregg's BUF HC gig was forgettable... as in I did not* remember him in that role for 3 years, but he did improve them from year one to year two (8-8) and his D was 15th in yards allowed. Career path shows a pretty meteoric rise with only 4 years at the DC level, all under Fisher in TN... in fact his whole NFL career prior to BUF was under Fisher.

    ________________________________

    *Edited in an important excluded word...

  • I thoughtbthe rams lost most of that DL talent? Anyway, few years ago when they lostbtheir best pass rusher for half the season (long) they were still one if the best front 7's in football. Thats what i liked about that rams d, they had injuries throughout the defensive front and production didnt dip.

    @clevfan4life said:

    I thoughtbthe rams lost most of that DL talent?

    You haven't heard of Aaron Donald? And Michael Brockers is good in his own right as the other DT. Also, Robert Quinn had 19 sacks.. naturally, the year before Williams took over.

    FYI, all 3 of those were 1st-rd picks.

    Rams DL was this year and will be for the foreseeable future the #1 DL in football.. perhaps not in production due to Williams but definitely in individual talent and payroll..

    Note that Browns.com is reporting Hue did the firing of Horton -- leads me to think Hue pushed for that change.. So, it's not him losing control at all, rather him getting frustrated and making a move..

    As well, apparently Williams was DC for 5 top-5 D's.. Tennessee (No. 1 in total defense in 2000), Buffalo (No. 3 in 2001 and No. 2 in 2003), Washington (No. 3 in 2005), and New Orleans (No. 4 in 2010)