Skip to content

Bama v Clemson

The Browns Board
74 31 2.7k
  • Well yeah, you're going to get different guys on the double team when you play different positions, and are 30 lbs lighter.

  • Zombo said:

    He's a heck of a football player.

    And a pretty accurate passer.

    Just feels like he's gonna to be average NFL QB, not a great one ... But we've all been wrong about these guys before.

    Z

    Watson reminds me of McNabb, but more consistent (game-to-game) ... and skinnier. I think he has the same potential in the NFL.

    @atenears said:

    Watson reminds me of McNabb, but more consistent (game-to-game) ... and skinnier. I think he has the same potential in the NFL.

    Donovan F. Mcnabb is a borderline Hall of Famer, pretty consistent

  • OK, for those of you who watched the game. I only saw snippets of it. How did the pro prospects on these two teams perform in this game?

    From the snippet I saw, the one guy that impressed was WR Mike Williams. He made a couple of great catches late in the game.

    But what about the various other players?

    Give your scouting reports.

    @the-gipper said:

    I only saw snippets of it. How did the pro prospects on these two teams perform in this game?

    the one guy that impressed was WR Mike Williams. He made a couple of great catches late in the game.

    But what about the various other players?

    Ranking from CBS, but I thought Watson(19),Reuben Foster(16) & Mike Williams(17) stole the show. Stock should rise...Allen(1)(may fall behind Garrett),CB Humphery(7)(confused on any picks/switches),OT Robinson(9)(may struggle in pass pro) & (14)LB Tim Williams may slide down a few to make room..A Great Hard Hitting Game..

  • @the-gipper said:

    I only saw snippets of it. How did the pro prospects on these two teams perform in this game?

    the one guy that impressed was WR Mike Williams. He made a couple of great catches late in the game.

    But what about the various other players?

    Ranking from CBS, but I thought Watson(19),Reuben Foster(16) & Mike Williams(17) stole the show. Stock should rise...Allen(1)(may fall behind Garrett),CB Humphery(7)(confused on any picks/switches),OT Robinson(9)(may struggle in pass pro) & (14)LB Tim Williams may slide down a few to make room..A Great Hard Hitting Game..

    @gumby73 said:

    Ranking from CBS, but I thought Watson(19),Reuben Foster(16) & Mike Williams(17) stole the show. Stock should rise...Allen(1)(may fall behind Garrett),CB Humphery(7)(confused on any picks/switches),OT Robinson(9)(may struggle in pass pro) & (14)LB Tim Williams may slide down a few to make room..A Great Hard Hitting Game..

    Might want to throw in Ryan Anderson in there.

  • @gumby73 said:

    Ranking from CBS, but I thought Watson(19),Reuben Foster(16) & Mike Williams(17) stole the show. Stock should rise...Allen(1)(may fall behind Garrett),CB Humphery(7)(confused on any picks/switches),OT Robinson(9)(may struggle in pass pro) & (14)LB Tim Williams may slide down a few to make room..A Great Hard Hitting Game..

    Might want to throw in Ryan Anderson in there.

    @richiswhere said:

    Might want to throw in Ryan Anderson in there.

    (#62 overall) OLB..He's no sleeper anymore either..Great call

  • I'll add another guy who won't get the fanfare but really intrigued me as a late round pick: Ben Boulware. I was pretty impressed by how much he was called upon to shift defensive players and basically run that defense (pretty well IMO too). There's obvious physical limitations there but he seems to be a guy who could end up being a 7th round or FA pickup.

    On top of that, his postgame speech was awesome. The guy clearly has a passion for the game too and showed leadership qualities.

    @jrb12711 said:

    I'll add another guy who won't get the fanfare but really intrigued me as a late round pick: Ben Boulware. I was pretty impressed by how much he was called upon to shift defensive players and basically run that defense (pretty well IMO too). There's obvious physical limitations there but he seems to be a guy who could end up being a 7th round or FA pickup.

    On top of that, his postgame speech was awesome. The guy clearly has a passion for the game too and showed leadership qualities.

    The only physical limitation is his height. For a MLB'er not so important. Zach Thomas was his height and was one of the best LB'ers. I'd take Boulware in a heartbeat. Dude is low and strong like a bull, gets to the point fast too. Dude was reading bama's plays like they were posted on the screen.

  • London Fletcher.

  • OK, for those of you who watched the game. I only saw snippets of it. How did the pro prospects on these two teams perform in this game?

    From the snippet I saw, the one guy that impressed was WR Mike Williams. He made a couple of great catches late in the game.

    But what about the various other players?

    Give your scouting reports.

    @the-gipper said:

    OK, for those of you who watched the game. I only saw snippets of it. How did the pro prospects on these two teams perform in this game?

    From the snippet I saw, the one guy that impressed was WR Mike Williams. He made a couple of great catches late in the game.

    But what about the various other players?

    Give your scouting reports.

    The other guys pretty much covered it Gip. Williams is generally considered the best WR in the 2017 draft, should go first round. DL Allen didn't impress me, probably slipped behind Garrett in draft order. I liked Foster, Anderson, and Boulware.

  • @jrb12711 said:

    I'll add another guy who won't get the fanfare but really intrigued me as a late round pick: Ben Boulware. I was pretty impressed by how much he was called upon to shift defensive players and basically run that defense (pretty well IMO too). There's obvious physical limitations there but he seems to be a guy who could end up being a 7th round or FA pickup.

    On top of that, his postgame speech was awesome. The guy clearly has a passion for the game too and showed leadership qualities.

    The only physical limitation is his height. For a MLB'er not so important. Zach Thomas was his height and was one of the best LB'ers. I'd take Boulware in a heartbeat. Dude is low and strong like a bull, gets to the point fast too. Dude was reading bama's plays like they were posted on the screen.

    @clevfan4life said:

    The only physical limitation is his height. For a MLB'er not so important. Zach Thomas was his height and was one of the best LB'ers. I'd take Boulware in a heartbeat. Dude is low and strong like a bull, gets to the point fast too. Dude was reading bama's plays like they were posted on the screen.

    Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

    And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

    Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    The only physical limitation is his height. For a MLB'er not so important. Zach Thomas was his height and was one of the best LB'ers. I'd take Boulware in a heartbeat. Dude is low and strong like a bull, gets to the point fast too. Dude was reading bama's plays like they were posted on the screen.

    Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

    And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

    Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

    And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

    Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

    The pro talent isn't limited to 'Bama or Clemson ya know. There's a few guys us Ohio State homers have out eyes on. Now about that kid from North Carolina.... if we can't have him, at least give me Shazier as a consolation prize. 😁

  • i think last night just answered the question of whether a college team can beat a pro team.

    @orangenotbrown said:

    i think last night just answered the question of whether a college team can beat a pro team.

    There was never any question because any sane mind realizes how stupid it sounds before asking.

  • @clevfan4life said:

    The only physical limitation is his height. For a MLB'er not so important. Zach Thomas was his height and was one of the best LB'ers. I'd take Boulware in a heartbeat. Dude is low and strong like a bull, gets to the point fast too. Dude was reading bama's plays like they were posted on the screen.

    Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

    And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

    Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

    And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

    Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

    Arizona just signed our Boulware.

  • Great game... Here are a few of my takeaways:

    General:

    • Davo's game plan as reported by Herbie was executed to perfection. The goal was to run 80 plays; they ran 90+. By game's end BAMA's D was worn down to a nub.
    • All the Clemson scheming would have been undone in by one or two more accurate deep throws by BAMA's true frosh QB. A couple deep completions would have sealed the deal. The kid looked poised, but in the end the stage was simply too big for him at this point in his career.

    BAMA:

    • One of the keys to Clemson's above "war of attrition" was targeting Allen... they wore his ass out with double teams and were willing to sacrifice pressure by other players to do it. By the end, or near to it, Allen was reduced picking sides rather than engage and control blockers. No where was it more obvious than Clemson's gap-closing TD run in the 4th. Yet throughout he played hard and at least early was effective in getting in on plays and/or freeing teammates to make them. He did nothing to diminish his draft value in my eyes.
    • Foster answered any questions I had of his suitability to play MLB in the 4-3. Many BAMA alignments put him in that position. His play, his speed, his passing lane awareness all combined to allay any concerns I had. Plus there was the sideline shot of him after Clemson's 3rd TD, IIRC. He was mad and flashed "Singletary" eyes... I smiled.
    • Did not see dominance by the "best OL in the draft", Cam Robinson, that I was expecting. I look forward to scouting his tape.

    Clemson:

    • There's no denying that Watson upped his stock in this game. His reversal of his shaky start was impressive. That said... maybe someone has answered the question I've posted in a couple threads about evidence of him going through read progressions, but I have not seen a reply as yet. *Spoiler Alert* I did not. I saw throws to first options when available, but when not an almost immediate dropping of eyes to the rush, whether real or not, and a shift into scramble mode which occasionally ended in finding an open receiver. Bottom line: a processing question remains.
    • Love Boulware's fire, but don't see the speed to make him effective at the next level. I see another Chris Borland-like candidate for early retirement, very early retirement when his style writes checks his body, and head, cant cash.
    • Mike Williams is a great WR prospect. He's Mike Evan's with even more grace.
    • Most of my Clemson, prospect-scouting interest is in their DL.
  • Great game... Here are a few of my takeaways:

    General:

    • Davo's game plan as reported by Herbie was executed to perfection. The goal was to run 80 plays; they ran 90+. By game's end BAMA's D was worn down to a nub.
    • All the Clemson scheming would have been undone in by one or two more accurate deep throws by BAMA's true frosh QB. A couple deep completions would have sealed the deal. The kid looked poised, but in the end the stage was simply too big for him at this point in his career.

    BAMA:

    • One of the keys to Clemson's above "war of attrition" was targeting Allen... they wore his ass out with double teams and were willing to sacrifice pressure by other players to do it. By the end, or near to it, Allen was reduced picking sides rather than engage and control blockers. No where was it more obvious than Clemson's gap-closing TD run in the 4th. Yet throughout he played hard and at least early was effective in getting in on plays and/or freeing teammates to make them. He did nothing to diminish his draft value in my eyes.
    • Foster answered any questions I had of his suitability to play MLB in the 4-3. Many BAMA alignments put him in that position. His play, his speed, his passing lane awareness all combined to allay any concerns I had. Plus there was the sideline shot of him after Clemson's 3rd TD, IIRC. He was mad and flashed "Singletary" eyes... I smiled.
    • Did not see dominance by the "best OL in the draft", Cam Robinson, that I was expecting. I look forward to scouting his tape.

    Clemson:

    • There's no denying that Watson upped his stock in this game. His reversal of his shaky start was impressive. That said... maybe someone has answered the question I've posted in a couple threads about evidence of him going through read progressions, but I have not seen a reply as yet. *Spoiler Alert* I did not. I saw throws to first options when available, but when not an almost immediate dropping of eyes to the rush, whether real or not, and a shift into scramble mode which occasionally ended in finding an open receiver. Bottom line: a processing question remains.
    • Love Boulware's fire, but don't see the speed to make him effective at the next level. I see another Chris Borland-like candidate for early retirement, very early retirement when his style writes checks his body, and head, cant cash.
    • Mike Williams is a great WR prospect. He's Mike Evan's with even more grace.
    • Most of my Clemson, prospect-scouting interest is in their DL.

    @tour2ma said:

    Clemson:

    • There's no denying that Watson upped his stock in this game. His reversal of his shaky start was impressive. That said... maybe someone has answered the question I've posted in a couple threads about evidence of him going through read progressions, but I have not seen a reply as yet. *

    I answered. Watched the whole game last night. My answer still stands, about half dozen. Those include formations to help make his reads easier. I saw him constantly check the safety to Williams' side, but not know much of what to do with it afterward. By check, I mean, if the safety wasn't rolling immediately over the top, he wouldn't even think twice about seeing if he dropped underneath.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Clemson:

    • There's no denying that Watson upped his stock in this game. His reversal of his shaky start was impressive. That said... maybe someone has answered the question I've posted in a couple threads about evidence of him going through read progressions, but I have not seen a reply as yet. *

    I answered. Watched the whole game last night. My answer still stands, about half dozen. Those include formations to help make his reads easier. I saw him constantly check the safety to Williams' side, but not know much of what to do with it afterward. By check, I mean, if the safety wasn't rolling immediately over the top, he wouldn't even think twice about seeing if he dropped underneath.

    @tiamat63 said:

    I answered. Watched the whole game last night. My answer still stands, about half dozen. Those include formations to help make his reads easier. I saw him constantly check the safety to Williams' side, but not know much of what to do with it afterward. By check, I mean, if the safety wasn't rolling immediately over the top, he wouldn't even think twice about seeing if he dropped underneath.

    I saw your earlier one.... thanks.

    I think the Agreement scorecard now stands at Agree: 3 Disagree: 1... but whose counting.

  • Great game... Here are a few of my takeaways:

    General:

    • Davo's game plan as reported by Herbie was executed to perfection. The goal was to run 80 plays; they ran 90+. By game's end BAMA's D was worn down to a nub.
    • All the Clemson scheming would have been undone in by one or two more accurate deep throws by BAMA's true frosh QB. A couple deep completions would have sealed the deal. The kid looked poised, but in the end the stage was simply too big for him at this point in his career.

    BAMA:

    • One of the keys to Clemson's above "war of attrition" was targeting Allen... they wore his ass out with double teams and were willing to sacrifice pressure by other players to do it. By the end, or near to it, Allen was reduced picking sides rather than engage and control blockers. No where was it more obvious than Clemson's gap-closing TD run in the 4th. Yet throughout he played hard and at least early was effective in getting in on plays and/or freeing teammates to make them. He did nothing to diminish his draft value in my eyes.
    • Foster answered any questions I had of his suitability to play MLB in the 4-3. Many BAMA alignments put him in that position. His play, his speed, his passing lane awareness all combined to allay any concerns I had. Plus there was the sideline shot of him after Clemson's 3rd TD, IIRC. He was mad and flashed "Singletary" eyes... I smiled.
    • Did not see dominance by the "best OL in the draft", Cam Robinson, that I was expecting. I look forward to scouting his tape.

    Clemson:

    • There's no denying that Watson upped his stock in this game. His reversal of his shaky start was impressive. That said... maybe someone has answered the question I've posted in a couple threads about evidence of him going through read progressions, but I have not seen a reply as yet. *Spoiler Alert* I did not. I saw throws to first options when available, but when not an almost immediate dropping of eyes to the rush, whether real or not, and a shift into scramble mode which occasionally ended in finding an open receiver. Bottom line: a processing question remains.
    • Love Boulware's fire, but don't see the speed to make him effective at the next level. I see another Chris Borland-like candidate for early retirement, very early retirement when his style writes checks his body, and head, cant cash.
    • Mike Williams is a great WR prospect. He's Mike Evan's with even more grace.
    • Most of my Clemson, prospect-scouting interest is in their DL.

    @tour2ma said:

    • Mike Williams is a great WR prospect. He's Mike Evan's with even more grace.

    He looks and moves like Josh Gordon.....

    Id take him.....and I hate WR's.....😉

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

    And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

    Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

    The pro talent isn't limited to 'Bama or Clemson ya know. There's a few guys us Ohio State homers have out eyes on. Now about that kid from North Carolina.... if we can't have him, at least give me Shazier as a consolation prize. 😁

    @hoorta said:

    The pro talent isn't limited to 'Bama or Clemson ya know. There's a few guys us Ohio State homers have out eyes on. Now about that kid from North Carolina.... if we can't have him, at least give me Shazier as a consolation prize. 😁

    Oh, was OSU in the championship game? 😉

  • @hoorta said:

    The pro talent isn't limited to 'Bama or Clemson ya know. There's a few guys us Ohio State homers have out eyes on. Now about that kid from North Carolina.... if we can't have him, at least give me Shazier as a consolation prize. 😁

    Oh, was OSU in the championship game? 😉

    @texasag1969 said:

    Oh, was OSU in the championship game? 😉

    Ohio State could have like 5-6 players taken in the first two rounds......in what is considered a "down" year for them.

    (Hooker, Lattimore, Elflein, Conley, McMillan, Samuel)

    Alabama will have 6-7.

    Clemson probably 5-6.

    Florida probably 4

    FSU 3

    LSU between 4-7

    Miami 2

    Michigan 4-5

    Pitt 2

    USC 2

    Stanford 2

    Tennessee 2

    Utah 2

    Washington 4-5

    Western Michigan 2

    Wisconsin 2

    For A&M Garrett is the only prospect that ranks in the top 80

  • @clevfan4life said:

    The only physical limitation is his height. For a MLB'er not so important. Zach Thomas was his height and was one of the best LB'ers. I'd take Boulware in a heartbeat. Dude is low and strong like a bull, gets to the point fast too. Dude was reading bama's plays like they were posted on the screen.

    Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

    And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

    Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

    And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

    Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

    but need to make sure he has no Brian Bosworth in his background.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Boulware was reading all his ques as if he had written Bama's playbook. That is one smart guy who arrives quickly and with intensity. I would like him to be a Brown. He can fire up a team!!

    And Foster just moved up to the point he may be out of our reach @ #12 now. Trade up dammit.

    Edit: Clemson DT Watkins is a keeper. I'd take him early 3rd if he is still there. But then there are a couple safeties we need there too so, hard choices.

    Arizona just signed our Boulware.

    @wargograw said:

    Arizona just signed our Boulware.

    Ehhh i dunno about that. Scooby still has alot of work to do. Bouleware looks to me ready now