LaPorta Up
-
No LaPorta again today.......WTF!!!!!!!!!!
-
Wedgie preaches to the media that you cant bring guys up and sit them on the bench. He's said many times young players have to play everyday yet he's sat LaPorta the last 3 games. This guys a complete idiot, he tells you what you want to hear and does the complete opposite, if you look at LaPorta's BA youd think he was struggling but he was hitting line drives he just couldnt find an alley. So now he sits for 3 games, you get him out of a rhythm and you hurt his confidence, way to manage man.
Also if they walk another person with 2 on and no outs to load the bases to make for a possible double play im going to go crazy. Everytime they do it I say "well here comes a double" and 95% of the time Im right. Just venting.......GOD help us
nmills said:
This guys a complete idiot, he tells you what you want to hear and does the complete opposite, if you look at LaPorta's BA youd think he was struggling but he was hitting line drives he just couldnt find an alley. So now he sits for 3 games, you get him out of a rhythm and you hurt his confidence, way to manage man.Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's let go after today (assuming the score holds). Maybe a week from Monday, our only off day this month - though that's in the middle of a road trip. Either way, the gallows are looming for Wedge.
Beanpot
-
nmills said:
This guys a complete idiot, he tells you what you want to hear and does the complete opposite, if you look at LaPorta's BA youd think he was struggling but he was hitting line drives he just couldnt find an alley. So now he sits for 3 games, you get him out of a rhythm and you hurt his confidence, way to manage man.Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's let go after today (assuming the score holds). Maybe a week from Monday, our only off day this month - though that's in the middle of a road trip. Either way, the gallows are looming for Wedge.
Beanpot
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's let go after today (assuming the score holds). Maybe a week from Monday, our only off day this month - though that's in the middle of a road trip. Either way, the gallows are looming for Wedge.
Beanpot
he'll be gone by mid june, we have a daunting schedule over the next month. Id be surprised If we weren't 15 games out by then and thats just not gonna cut it. I'd like to put more blame on the players but Wedge makes so many bone headed decisions I just dont understand. He gives guys days off when there on a hot streak, the releivers are so outta wack right now how are you supposed to get comfortable when you pitch once every 2 weeks. You bring up LaPorta and sit him 4 straight games, you wont move peralta to 3rd, you wont move Sizemore to the 3 hole when he leads the team in strikeouts with 36, why did Hafner come back so soon if he was still injured. I dont get it, I think he might have hung around Romeo a little this offseason.
-
Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he's let go after today (assuming the score holds). Maybe a week from Monday, our only off day this month - though that's in the middle of a road trip. Either way, the gallows are looming for Wedge.
Beanpot
he'll be gone by mid june, we have a daunting schedule over the next month. Id be surprised If we weren't 15 games out by then and thats just not gonna cut it. I'd like to put more blame on the players but Wedge makes so many bone headed decisions I just dont understand. He gives guys days off when there on a hot streak, the releivers are so outta wack right now how are you supposed to get comfortable when you pitch once every 2 weeks. You bring up LaPorta and sit him 4 straight games, you wont move peralta to 3rd, you wont move Sizemore to the 3 hole when he leads the team in strikeouts with 36, why did Hafner come back so soon if he was still injured. I dont get it, I think he might have hung around Romeo a little this offseason.
nmills said:
I'd like to put more blame on the players but Wedge makes so many bone headed decisions I just dont understand. He gives guys days off when there on a hot streak.You know I was thinking the same thing. But I think it might be more about trying to EVERYONE on the same page. I agree with you though, he'll pull Cabrera if he goes 0-4 after a 8 game hitting streak. Is very un-wedge like.
-
I do not get it about LaPorta as all of you have already said. You just do not bring up a guy who struggled last year and then got off to a great start this year and then have him get splinters in his ass.
Wedge is cooking himself. And Shapiro is proving more each year he is just ordinary.
this team has been a huge disappointment so far
-
were facing a lefthander today so hopefully will get another chance to see LaPorta again
-
By Anthony Castrovince / MLB.com
05/12/09 11:40 PM ET
CLEVELAND -- The Indians were getting ready to stretch before Tuesday's game against the White Sox when Matt LaPorta came sprinting out of the clubhouse and up the stairs of the dugout.
He wasn't late for stretching, but he was close.
"No matter how early I get here [to the ballpark]," LaPorta said with a smile, "it seems I'm always rushing around."
Life in the big leagues has moved quickly for LaPorta, and things only figure to get faster in the coming weeks.
The Indians didn't call LaPorta up from Triple-A Columbus to have him sit.
Well, not for a long time, anyway.
After four straight days of a LaPorta-less lineup, frustrated fans eager to see the Tribe's top prospect get a legitimate chance to impact the lineup got their wish Tuesday. He was also back to his old position from his University of Florida days, getting the start at first base.
Manager Eric Wedge and general manager Mark Shapiro have both made it clear that it is the Indians' intention to give LaPorta an increasingly regular presence in the lineup, so you can probably count on him to be in action Wednesday, when the Indians wrap up their three-game series against Mark Buehrle and the White Sox with a businessman's special at Progressive Field.
"He's a guy that, as you watch the next week or two, you're going to see play more and more," Shapiro said. "He wouldn't be up here if we didn't expect to play him more and more and help us score runs more consistently."
With David Dellucci and Ben Francisco not performing up to expectations and Travis Hafner still on the disabled list, LaPorta has a chance to steal some at-bats in left field and at designated hitter. Ryan Garko's ability to move between first base, DH and the corner-outfield spots also helps.
LaPorta is just less than two years removed from being taken by the Brewers as the seventh overall pick in the First-Year Player Draft, and he's less than a year removed from the culture shock that came with the blockbuster CC Sabathia trade that brought him to this organization.
The Indians want to temper expectations for the 24-year-old LaPorta, who is batting just .188 (3-for-16) with a homer so far.
"The expectations for a guy with that little time in professional baseball are unfair," Shapiro said. "Over time, we think he can be a run-production bat. Initially, he's going to have some ups-and-downs."
In addition to transitioning to the big leagues, LaPorta is also getting reaccustomed to first base -- a position he hasn't played with regularity since he was with the Gators. He only played one game at first while with Columbus.
During his four-day absence from the lineup, LaPorta did pregame work at first. He made one gaffe in the seventh inning Tuesday, however, when he didn't field his position properly on a would-be groundout to second that instead resulted in an error when LaPorta couldn't find the bag on the throw.
Where does LaPorta's positional future lie? Who knows?
"I think I've become a pretty good outfielder," LaPorta said. "Whether it's there or first base really doesn't matter to me, as long as I'm in the lineup and helping my team win."
And by the sound of things, he'll be in there more often in the coming days.
-
-
Hafner is a shell of himself, steroids anyone??
LaPorta needs to stay up in the majors and play everyday.
-
And they'll sit him. JK
Honestly, I wouldn't really be surprised. I'm optimistic that since we only have 2 true outfielders (Sizemore, Choo) on the big league roster, Marte not showing anything, and Hafner not playing every day...there will have to be at bats for him at one of the corners, and 1st base, and DH. If I see one game with Gimenez or Carroll in the outfield with LaPorta on the bench, I might scream.
(edit) I just read that Carroll is starting in Left tonight. I'll let it slide for this one game...but next time...scream.
-
ATTTA BOY2 RUN DOUBLE !

-
Not a bad re-debut. Masterson looked good too. Hopefully we get to see more of these exciting players and less of the guys like Marte and Gimenez. I want to see some Carrasco and Rondon, and some regular ABs for LaPorta (1B/LF/DH) and Brantley (LF/CF). And a lot less Ohka and Wood.
-
Not a bad re-debut. Masterson looked good too. Hopefully we get to see more of these exciting players and less of the guys like Marte and Gimenez. I want to see some Carrasco and Rondon, and some regular ABs for LaPorta (1B/LF/DH) and Brantley (LF/CF). And a lot less Ohka and Wood.
Not a bad re-debut. Masterson looked good too. Hopefully we get to see more of these exciting players and less of the guys like Marte and Gimenez. I want to see some Carrasco and Rondon, and some regular ABs for LaPorta (1B/LF/DH) and Brantley (LF/CF). And a lot less Ohka and Wood.
Agreed, Sipps 1 out bases loaded door slammer was also great to see, the kids really starting to pitch with confidence.
-
Yep, I think it's hard to find someone who doesn't love Sipp on this site.
And LaPorta is back in left tonight. Two straight games!
Yep, I think it's hard to find someone who doesn't love Sipp on this site.
And LaPorta is back in left tonight. Two straight games!
Sipp is growing on me.
And LaPorta is playing 2 straight games??? Is someone else managing the game tonight??? That doesn't sound like something Wedge would do.

-
i am really looking forward to seeing the extended rosters. because of the way management is moving with young players, it is really going to decide who is up next year. for the first time in a long time this season, i am excited.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login