QB Questions
-
"Mitch could have started all three years he was here. For reasons outside his control, he didn't." - K. Heckendorf, UNC QB Coach.
"I went to Eastern Illinois because I didn't want to be 7th string in the Big Ten..." -Jimmy Garapolo.
Not starting is not starting despite the reality a NC coach wants Trubisky too help their recruiting. You know that's important to their program CD. NC went 11-3 the last year Trubisky didn't start - I'd say that's the best reason he didn't start. NC went 8-5 the only year he did start.
I'm not wanting us to trade for a QB CD. I know Trubisky is from Mentor, Ohio so there's a local kid attraction.
There's things I like about Trubisky. Since we're talking about the 1st overall or the 12th overall pick I'm just a little more willing to notice only starting 1 year had his HC seeing some more red flags than people loving the local kid story. It'll be interesting to see if he tempts/excites me more for the 12th overall pick if certain guys get picked before #12 on draft day. Saying I'd be okay with him at #33 overall isn't exactly an insult.
Knowing our luck, we'll trade a first round pick to NE for JG and they wiill use it to draft Mitch.Not starting is not starting despite the reality a NC coach wants Trubisky too help their recruiting. You know that's important to their program CD. NC went 11-3 the last year Trubisky didn't start - I'd say that's the best reason he didn't start. NC went 8-5 the only year he did start.
I'm not wanting us to trade for a QB CD. I know Trubisky is from Mentor, Ohio so there's a local kid attraction.
There's things I like about Trubisky. Since we're talking about the 1st overall or the 12thg overall pick I'm just a little more willing to notice only starting 1 year had his HC seeing some red flags than people loving the local kid story.
I'm on record as saying that if the Browns draft offense, I want Mitch, If they go defense I want Garrett.
It would be great if they could land both.
-
"Mitch could have started all three years he was here. For reasons outside his control, he didn't." - K. Heckendorf, UNC QB Coach.But, the Head Coach who watched him practice every single day found enough weaknesses to start Marquise Williams over him for 2 years. That being the case, we could only watch him start twice throughout his entire scholarship. These were both losses to NC State and Stanford. I think this validates a solid reason why a well respected Draft Analyst like Mike Mayock brings it up in a world of how is he going to be the answer to all some bad NFL team's prayers? Is it really only a "lack of experience" more so than the reasons why there was a lack of experience?
"I went to Eastern Illinois because I didn't want to be 7th string in the Big Ten..." -Jimmy Garapolo.I may be wrong here and it wouldn't be the first time; but I can't get this out of my dome either. In a world where a prospect probably knows his limitations best, why was Trubisky so reluctant to challenge Barrett at Ohio State? Trubisky chose NC instead so he could eventually start 1 year in the ACC vrs his own perception he couldn't ever beat out Barrett. Wasn't Williams a watered down version of Barrett? I always considered great QBs to be fierce competitors to the extent he feels like beating out Barrett would be no problem (especially if he wants the team holding the 1st overall pick to seriously consider him). Look at how much better Ohio State looked the first 3 times Cardale Jones replaced Barrett back when OSU had a great Offensive Coordinator. That could have been Trubisky if he believed in himself. Trubisky has red flags pertinent to upper 1st round consideration; and those capable of getting past the local boy hero thing can see them.
"Mitch could have started all three years he was here. For reasons outside his control, he didn't." - K. Heckendorf, UNC QB Coach.
"I went to Eastern Illinois because I didn't want to be 7th string in the Big Ten..." -Jimmy Garapolo.
1) Question is- who had the control? I'm sure the Browns will be asking that question.
2) Ha- so why didn't hot prospect Jimmy at least get an offer from Northwestern? Or did he? Inquiring minds want to know.
Let's be fair about this- I'm getting increasingly annoyed about the college hoopla signing day BS. Ranking who had the best haul of HS prospects. Kids develop at different rates- kiss my ass if every 5 star recruit is going to turn into another Myles Garrett, Andrew Luck or Julio Jones. They just hit their peak in HS. The NFL is full of guys from colleges like Grambling, Alcorn, Coastal Carolina, LOL North Dakota State and similar of guys who the "power conferences" deemed not worthy of their consideration.
-
PFF tweeted. . .
Rookie QB grades
Dak Prescott, @DallasCowboys 84.9
Carson Wentz, @Eagles 76.8
Cody Kessler, @Browns 74.2
Jared Goff, @RamsNFL 39.7
-
PFF tweeted. . .
Rookie QB grades
Dak Prescott, @DallasCowboys 84.9
Carson Wentz, @Eagles 76.8
Cody Kessler, @Browns 74.2
Jared Goff, @RamsNFL 39.7
PFF tweeted. . .
Rookie QB grades
Dak Prescott, @DallasCowboys 84.9
Carson Wentz, @Eagles 76.8
Cody Kessler, @Browns 74.2
Jared Goff, @RamsNFL 39.7
Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)
-
PFF tweeted. . .
Rookie QB grades
Dak Prescott, @DallasCowboys 84.9
Carson Wentz, @Eagles 76.8
Cody Kessler, @Browns 74.2
Jared Goff, @RamsNFL 39.7
Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)
Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)
Agree, the Browns need to purge all the QB's from the roster except Cody.
-
PFF tweeted. . .
Rookie QB grades
Dak Prescott, @DallasCowboys 84.9
Carson Wentz, @Eagles 76.8
Cody Kessler, @Browns 74.2
Jared Goff, @RamsNFL 39.7
Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)
Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)
While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?
-
Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)
Agree, the Browns need to purge all the QB's from the roster except Cody.
Agree, the Browns need to purge all the QB's from the roster except Cody.
Are you including Kevin Hogan? Right now I believe that all we have on the roster are Hogan, Kessler, and Griffin.
-
Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)
While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?
While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?
Actually yes, IF we had had an injury free OL and a defense that could stop other teams and create turnovers. So if we have that this year, then the answer is yes, I think this team can win with him.
-
Veteran QBs that could be available to the Browns...if they wanted to go that route:
Tyrod Taylor
Tony Romo
Colin Kaepernick
Kirk Cousins
Jimmy Garropolo
Brian Hoyer
Mike Glennon
Ryan Fitzpatrick
Geno Smith
Plus this cast of characters:
- Nick Foles, QB, Chiefs.
- Matt Barkley, QB, Bears.
- Ryan Mallett, QB, Ravens.
- Case Keenum, QB, Rams.
- Christian Ponder, QB, 49ers.
- Josh Johnson, QB, Giants.
- Blaine Gabbert, QB, 49ers.
- Shaun Hill, QB, Vikings.
- Matt Schaub, QB, Falcons.
- Dan Orlovsky, QB, Lions.
- Tyler Bray, QB, Chiefs.
- Johnny Manziel, QB, Browns.
- Josh McCown, QB, Browns.
Who would you all want out of this group....if any?
I would still be somewhat interested in Nick Foles
-
"Can win with Kess"... sounds like a bumper sticker.
Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.
"Can win with Kess"... sounds like a bumper sticker.
Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.
Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).
I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.
-
"Can win with Kess"... sounds like a bumper sticker.
Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.
Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).
I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.
Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).
I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.
I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.
The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.
Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.
-
Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)
While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?
While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?
Absolutely.
-
Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).
I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.
I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.
The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.
Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.
I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.
The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.
Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.
call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?
-
I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.
The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.
Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.
call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?
call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?
Glennon was discussed just yesterday on NFL Insiders as a potential fit with the Jets. It was the first I'd thought about him in a good while.
I'm more or less "meh" on the guy. While he's put some good stuff on tape, I never seen him as starter material. In part it's likely his gangly, Ichabod Crane look. It doesn't whisper "leader", let alone scream it.
-
call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?
Glennon was discussed just yesterday on NFL Insiders as a potential fit with the Jets. It was the first I'd thought about him in a good while.
I'm more or less "meh" on the guy. While he's put some good stuff on tape, I never seen him as starter material. In part it's likely his gangly, Ichabod Crane look. It doesn't whisper "leader", let alone scream it.
Glennon was discussed just yesterday on NFL Insiders as a potential fit with the Jets. It was the first I'd thought about him in a good while.
I'm more or less "meh" on the guy. While he's put some good stuff on tape, I never seen him as starter material. In part it's likely his gangly, Ichabod Crane look. It doesn't whisper "leader", let alone scream it.
Can he be worse that Brock Osweiler?
-
Mitch looks like a Pizza Hut shift manager with an awesome sound system in his Buick Roadmaster.
Mitch looks like a Pizza Hut shift manager with an awesome sound system in his Buick Roadmaster.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login