Skip to content

QB Questions

The Browns Board
207 28 7.5k
  • @canton-dawg said:

    PFF tweeted. . .

    Rookie QB grades

    Dak Prescott, @DallasCowboys 84.9

    Carson Wentz, @Eagles 76.8

    Cody Kessler, @Browns 74.2

    Jared Goff, @RamsNFL 39.7

    Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)

    @wargograw said:

    Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)

    Agree, the Browns need to purge all the QB's from the roster except Cody.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    PFF tweeted. . .

    Rookie QB grades

    Dak Prescott, @DallasCowboys 84.9

    Carson Wentz, @Eagles 76.8

    Cody Kessler, @Browns 74.2

    Jared Goff, @RamsNFL 39.7

    Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)

    @wargograw said:

    Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)

    While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?

  • @wargograw said:

    Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)

    Agree, the Browns need to purge all the QB's from the roster except Cody.

    @canton-dawg said:

    Agree, the Browns need to purge all the QB's from the roster except Cody.

    Are you including Kevin Hogan? Right now I believe that all we have on the roster are Hogan, Kessler, and Griffin.

  • @wargograw said:

    Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)

    While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?

    @the-gipper said:

    While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?

    Actually yes, IF we had had an injury free OL and a defense that could stop other teams and create turnovers. So if we have that this year, then the answer is yes, I think this team can win with him.

  • "Can win with Kess"... sounds like a bumper sticker.

    Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.

  • Veteran QBs that could be available to the Browns...if they wanted to go that route:

    Tyrod Taylor

    Tony Romo

    Colin Kaepernick

    Kirk Cousins

    Jimmy Garropolo

    Brian Hoyer

    Mike Glennon

    Ryan Fitzpatrick

    Geno Smith

    Plus this cast of characters:

    1. Nick Foles, QB, Chiefs.
    2. Matt Barkley, QB, Bears.
    3. Ryan Mallett, QB, Ravens.
    4. Case Keenum, QB, Rams.
    5. Christian Ponder, QB, 49ers.
    6. Josh Johnson, QB, Giants.
    7. Blaine Gabbert, QB, 49ers.
    8. Shaun Hill, QB, Vikings.
    9. Matt Schaub, QB, Falcons.
    10. Dan Orlovsky, QB, Lions.
    11. Tyler Bray, QB, Chiefs.
    12. Johnny Manziel, QB, Browns.
    13. Josh McCown, QB, Browns.

    Who would you all want out of this group....if any?

    I would still be somewhat interested in Nick Foles

  • "Can win with Kess"... sounds like a bumper sticker.

    Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.

    @tour2ma said:

    "Can win with Kess"... sounds like a bumper sticker.

    Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.

    Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).

    I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.

  • @tour2ma said:

    "Can win with Kess"... sounds like a bumper sticker.

    Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.

    Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).

    I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.

    @gftchris said:

    Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).

    I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.

    I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.

    The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.

    Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.

  • Here's QB-ish question...

    What was he doing at the White House?

    post-2853-0-19877700-1487184881_thumb.jpg post-2853-0-00483000-1487184893_thumb.jpg

  • @wargograw said:

    Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)

    While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?

    @the-gipper said:

    While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?

    Absolutely.

  • @gftchris said:

    Perhaps, but our other playmakers have shown the ability to actually make plays from time to time. Behind a solid OL, crow can make big plays. Duke can make guys miss in the open field. Pryor can win contested catches. Coleman can get open with his quickness and make guys miss after the catch (assuming he catches it).

    I don't think we need a QB who can win the game on his own (though I wouldn't say no), we just need to get the guys we have to play to their potential.

    I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.

    The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.

    Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.

    @tour2ma said:

    I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.

    The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.

    Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.

    call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?

  • @tour2ma said:

    I hear you, but to be clear I am not arguing that we cannot build around a "game manager" type QB. I can't since I argued that we could build around Hoyer, who until his melt down looked that part. What I am arguing is that Kess is not even to the Hoyer level as yet.

    The difference is processing speed. At his best Brian took the shots that Kess was benched for bypassing.

    Might Kess further develop? Sure... it's not fair to compare the then 5th-year vet that Brian was when he flashed in his injury-shortened emergence with a 3rd-string rookie pressed into action. But then that's the only comparison available at this time.

    call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?

    @gumby73 said:

    call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?

    Glennon was discussed just yesterday on NFL Insiders as a potential fit with the Jets. It was the first I'd thought about him in a good while.

    I'm more or less "meh" on the guy. While he's put some good stuff on tape, I never seen him as starter material. In part it's likely his gangly, Ichabod Crane look. It doesn't whisper "leader", let alone scream it.

  • @gumby73 said:

    call me a homer, but whats your thoughts on the Mike Glennon you remember? as a taller game manager, when he played, he reminded me of a Hoyer with a 1 weapon WR. Neither are a Alex Smith arm, but a game manager that were closer to a RG3 2 yr. lookzie deal with a opt out? will Oz Glennon get a 5 yr. deal?

    Glennon was discussed just yesterday on NFL Insiders as a potential fit with the Jets. It was the first I'd thought about him in a good while.

    I'm more or less "meh" on the guy. While he's put some good stuff on tape, I never seen him as starter material. In part it's likely his gangly, Ichabod Crane look. It doesn't whisper "leader", let alone scream it.

    @tour2ma said:

    Glennon was discussed just yesterday on NFL Insiders as a potential fit with the Jets. It was the first I'd thought about him in a good while.

    I'm more or less "meh" on the guy. While he's put some good stuff on tape, I never seen him as starter material. In part it's likely his gangly, Ichabod Crane look. It doesn't whisper "leader", let alone scream it.

    Can he be worse that Brock Osweiler?

  • Mitch looks like a Pizza Hut shift manager with an awesome sound system in his Buick Roadmaster.

    @roycerolls said:

    Mitch looks like a Pizza Hut shift manager with an awesome sound system in his Buick Roadmaster.

  • LOL

  • I was pleasantly surprised by some of what Kessler was able to do on the field. I did not, however, like his last start, and I thought all the talk about "Cody needs to force the ball down the field" really screwed him up. He didn't look a thing like he did earlier in the year, and he wasn't getting the ball out at all. My biggest problem with Cody, and something I don't think can be fixed, is that he just can't get out of pressure. Some of the sacks he took looked like a stronger man could've shaken off, and he looked so slow to me. He can't get out of danger, and he can't hurt anybody with his legs. I know we want our QB's to THROW the ball, but when I went back and watched some of Cody's games, I saw the biggest running lanes in the universe that he NEVER exploited. I'm talking about lanes where Cody could've run for 10+ yards and slid without getting touched. This is important because it makes the defense adjust, and it will actually help a QB throwing the ball. If they have to respect a QB picking up 1st downs or nice yards with his legs, there will certainly be adjustments made that could affect defensive coverage. I realize I previously said how slow he is, but some of these lanes were GIANT, and it's not like Cody is completely immobile like Rivers, it's just he can't avoid sacks and power through arm tackles.

    Maybe I'm wrong? Perhaps Cody was thrust into an impossible situation and did the best he could with limited reps and practice time. Maybe a year under his belt and some time with NFL strength coaches will significantly benefit him. NFL players get better all of the time, so why not Cody? I don't care about the arm strength. I think he throws the ball just fine. I'll say this about Cody, if he DOES get better, we'll know pretty quickly. If he comes into camp and looks solid, and then continues that play into preseason...then maybe he can be our guy. Of course, this is the optimistic side of the coin, and the Browns OBVIOUSLY can't bank on this, and must address the position either through the draft, free agency, or BOTH.

  • Here's a pretty good video of Andrew Gribble and Nathan Zegura breaking down some of the top QB prospects. It's long, but I enjoyed it.

    http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Gribble--Zegura-review-national-mock-drafts/a3664e78-83c1-440a-8742-507b2969c7e9

  • I was pleasantly surprised by some of what Kessler was able to do on the field. I did not, however, like his last start, and I thought all the talk about "Cody needs to force the ball down the field" really screwed him up. He didn't look a thing like he did earlier in the year, and he wasn't getting the ball out at all. My biggest problem with Cody, and something I don't think can be fixed, is that he just can't get out of pressure. Some of the sacks he took looked like a stronger man could've shaken off, and he looked so slow to me. He can't get out of danger, and he can't hurt anybody with his legs. I know we want our QB's to THROW the ball, but when I went back and watched some of Cody's games, I saw the biggest running lanes in the universe that he NEVER exploited. I'm talking about lanes where Cody could've run for 10+ yards and slid without getting touched. This is important because it makes the defense adjust, and it will actually help a QB throwing the ball. If they have to respect a QB picking up 1st downs or nice yards with his legs, there will certainly be adjustments made that could affect defensive coverage. I realize I previously said how slow he is, but some of these lanes were GIANT, and it's not like Cody is completely immobile like Rivers, it's just he can't avoid sacks and power through arm tackles.

    Maybe I'm wrong? Perhaps Cody was thrust into an impossible situation and did the best he could with limited reps and practice time. Maybe a year under his belt and some time with NFL strength coaches will significantly benefit him. NFL players get better all of the time, so why not Cody? I don't care about the arm strength. I think he throws the ball just fine. I'll say this about Cody, if he DOES get better, we'll know pretty quickly. If he comes into camp and looks solid, and then continues that play into preseason...then maybe he can be our guy. Of course, this is the optimistic side of the coin, and the Browns OBVIOUSLY can't bank on this, and must address the position either through the draft, free agency, or BOTH.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I was pleasantly surprised by some of what Kessler was able to do on the field. I did not, however, like his last start, and I thought all the talk about "Cody needs to force the ball down the field" really screwed him up. He didn't look a thing like he did earlier in the year, and he wasn't getting the ball out at all.

    Again... I think you mischaracterize "the talk". It was never about "forcing" anything anywhere. It was about seeing and taking downfield opportunities that were there. Opportunities that he either could not see or for which he did not look.

    In either case he was ignoring shots. And when you do that you are going to be quicker to your dump offs that pad stats, but don't put points on the board.

  • @wargograw said:

    Cody is underrated. Bigly. (By us, not PFF.)

    While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?

    @the-gipper said:

    While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?

    Certainly not on his own......any QB in the NFL is capable of winning a game(how many have multiple starts, but haven't won?).....hmmmm

    @tour2ma said:

    Question is how much load can Kess carry? So far not much is what I see.

    I cant see it either.....

    @the-gipper said:

    Who would you all want out of this group....?

    Zero

    @gumby73 said:

    call me a homer,

    you're a homer...

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I was pleasantly surprised by some of what Kessler was able to do on the field. ...... he wasn't getting the ball out at all.................something I don't think can be fixed, is that he just can't get out of pressure..............and he looked so slow to me.........He can't get out of danger, and he can't hurt anybody with his legs................... I saw the biggest running lanes in the universe that he NEVER exploited...................he can't avoid sacks and power through arm tackles.

    .... did the best he could............ I don't care about the arm strength...... Browns OBVIOUSLY can't bank on this, and must address the position either through the draft, free agency, or BOTH.

    Dude....your post basically says I like what I see, then lists a ton of shit....then states we must get someone better.....

    Ugh....

    He has no pocket awareness.....a limp arm....doesnt see the field well.....doesnt hit the deep ball.....and cant get yards with his feet...

    Why do people think he can lead this team????

  • Mud:

    I agree Kessler can't throw.. but he makes up for it by both not being able to run and not having any NFL-level pocket awareness!

    Other than that, keep the faith.

    You know the old expression.. when you keep doing the same thing that you've been doing, you're sure to win big in 2017!