Skip to content

Joe Thomas on #1 overall...

The Browns Board
60 20 1.7k
  • Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #3

    He's just a fat ass that doesn't know anything and offensive lineman are a dime a dozen....they just stand around on street corners waiting to be picked up. No value whatsoever so what would he know about what the team should do?

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by
    #4

    JT vs. Garrett in practice only makes them both better. Iron sharpens iron.

  • LogicIsForSquaresL LogicIsForSquares wrote on last edited by
    #5

    Has Joe been vocal ever about draft picks?

  • He's just a fat ass that doesn't know anything and offensive lineman are a dime a dozen....they just stand around on street corners waiting to be picked up. No value whatsoever so what would he know about what the team should do?

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by Orion
    #6

    @mark-o said:

    He's just a fat ass that doesn't know anything and offensive lineman are a dime a dozen....they just stand around on street corners waiting to be picked up. No value whatsoever so what would he know about what the team should do?

    Ghoul #2

    JT is a smart guy. I like his way of thinking.

    A year or so ago he said, that you've got to have a good QB in this league. If you're lucky enough to be on a good team then a lot of games are going to come down to a two minute drill. You're not going to be able to 'run' yourself down the field. You need to have a good QB that can get you down the field to win the game.

    I think that THIS year his thinking is that the QB's available are not good enough to be taken ahead of the defensive players at the #1 position in the draft. And that certainly can be true.

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #7

    I love Joe...

    Joe Thomas... future HoF... future GM...

  • JT vs. Garrett in practice only makes them both better. Iron sharpens iron.

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #8

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    JT vs. Garrett in practice only makes them both better. Iron sharpens iron.

    More like Iron Man meets Superman. Together they are

  • @mark-o said:

    He's just a fat ass that doesn't know anything and offensive lineman are a dime a dozen....they just stand around on street corners waiting to be picked up. No value whatsoever so what would he know about what the team should do?

    Ghoul #2

    JT is a smart guy. I like his way of thinking.

    A year or so ago he said, that you've got to have a good QB in this league. If you're lucky enough to be on a good team then a lot of games are going to come down to a two minute drill. You're not going to be able to 'run' yourself down the field. You need to have a good QB that can get you down the field to win the game.

    I think that THIS year his thinking is that the QB's available are not good enough to be taken ahead of the defensive players at the #1 position in the draft. And that certainly can be true.

    Mark OM Mark O wrote on last edited by
    #9

    @orion said:

    Ghoul #2

    JT is a smart guy. I like his way of thinking.

    A year or so ago he said, that you've got to have a good QB in this league. If you're lucky enough to be on a good team then a lot of games are going to come down to a two minute drill. You're not going to be able to 'run' yourself down the field. You need to have a good QB that can get you down the field to win the game.

    I think that THIS year his thinking is that the QB's available are not good enough to be taken ahead of the defensive players at the #1 position in the draft. And that certainly can be true.

    I was being sarcastic...that's why it's in pink. Please in the name of all things holy don't ever put me in the same thought as a blowhard as the person you mentioned.

    I think Joe is right on and I would definitely respect his opinion. Dude has played in the league for years and I would think he would know what it takes to make it at the QB position since he's seen like 100 of them in his time in Cleveland.

  • @orion said:

    Ghoul #2

    JT is a smart guy. I like his way of thinking.

    A year or so ago he said, that you've got to have a good QB in this league. If you're lucky enough to be on a good team then a lot of games are going to come down to a two minute drill. You're not going to be able to 'run' yourself down the field. You need to have a good QB that can get you down the field to win the game.

    I think that THIS year his thinking is that the QB's available are not good enough to be taken ahead of the defensive players at the #1 position in the draft. And that certainly can be true.

    I was being sarcastic...that's why it's in pink. Please in the name of all things holy don't ever put me in the same thought as a blowhard as the person you mentioned.

    I think Joe is right on and I would definitely respect his opinion. Dude has played in the league for years and I would think he would know what it takes to make it at the QB position since he's seen like 100 of them in his time in Cleveland.

    OrionO Orion wrote on last edited by
    #10

    @mark-o said:

    I was being sarcastic...that's why it's in pink. Please in the name of all things holy don't ever put me in the same thought as a blowhard as the person you mentioned.

    lol

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #11

    Agree with Joe. I think many in here agree with Joe. Again the question is how do the guys who get paid very well to scout talent and draft not follow this line of thinking.

  • Here's some of what Joe Thomas had to say on the Dan Patrick show...

    "You want to go defense. I think you need to get a pass rusher," Thomas told The Dan Patrick Show on Thursday.

    Dan Patrick Show@dpshow
    The @Browns lineman @joethomas73 weighs in on who his team should take #1 danpatrick.com

    "I think you've got to be careful reaching for a quarterback at No. 1 because if they fail, they don't help your team at all. Whereas if you pick a defensive lineman and they don't live up to the hype, you can still find a place to get them on the field and to have an impact," Thomas said. "We're a team that, we need guys who can come in and start and contribute. That's the risk of taking a quarterback."

    This makes total sense to me in a way that hasn't been said before. Leave it to Joe to make the best argument I've yet heard on why NOT to take a QB at #1 (OR #12) this year.

    Mike

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #12

    @canton-mike said:

    Here's some of what Joe Thomas had to say on the Dan Patrick show...

    "You want to go defense. I think you need to get a pass rusher," Thomas told The Dan Patrick Show on Thursday.

    "I think you've got to be careful reaching for a quarterback at No. 1 because if they fail, they don't help your team at all. Whereas if you pick a defensive lineman and they don't live up to the hype, you can still find a place to get them on the field and to have an impact," Thomas said. "We're a team that, we need guys who can come in and start and contribute. That's the risk of taking a quarterback."

    This makes total sense to me in a way that hasn't been said before. Leave it to Joe to make the best argument I've yet heard on why NOT to take a QB at #1 (OR #12) this year.

    Mike

    Thanks for sharing that Mike! Very interesting perspective from a guy that's made 10 consecutive Pro Bowls especially considering LTs are primarily responsible for protecting the blind side of QB.

    We'll undoubtedly have some very exciting choices in the first few rounds. I think I'm going back to Jonathan Allen as my favorite pick for us at #1. The ability to play inside inside or outside will be an invaluable flexibility to Gregg Williams. If not Allen, I'd love to add a LBer like Foster first and then we can pick up a pass rusher or Safety at #12. If Orchard comes back healthy, I haven't lost my intrigue to see what he has especially in Williams' defense.

  • @orion said:

    Ghoul #2

    JT is a smart guy. I like his way of thinking.

    A year or so ago he said, that you've got to have a good QB in this league. If you're lucky enough to be on a good team then a lot of games are going to come down to a two minute drill. You're not going to be able to 'run' yourself down the field. You need to have a good QB that can get you down the field to win the game.

    I think that THIS year his thinking is that the QB's available are not good enough to be taken ahead of the defensive players at the #1 position in the draft. And that certainly can be true.

    I was being sarcastic...that's why it's in pink. Please in the name of all things holy don't ever put me in the same thought as a blowhard as the person you mentioned.

    I think Joe is right on and I would definitely respect his opinion. Dude has played in the league for years and I would think he would know what it takes to make it at the QB position since he's seen like 100 of them in his time in Cleveland.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #13

    @mark-o said:

    I was being sarcastic...that's why it's in pink.

    And I can assure you it was appreciated by a lot of us. Well done!

  • JT vs. Garrett in practice only makes them both better. Iron sharpens iron.

    W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #14

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    JT vs. Garrett in practice only makes them both better. Iron sharpens iron.

    Would be pretty fun to watch actually. Garett was ruining Cedric Oguehu (first rounder) in the summer before his true fish season.

  • gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #15

    I've said it before and I'll say it again - when Joe retires he can go straight to the front office and run this team. Ozzie Newsome the second.

  • T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #16

    If the offensive leader of this team has the opinion that the best way to help the team is an edge rusher, then some of the baseballers in the FO need to pay close attention.

  • If the offensive leader of this team has the opinion that the best way to help the team is an edge rusher, then some of the baseballers in the FO need to pay close attention.

    flyingfooldougF flyingfooldoug wrote on last edited by
    #17

    @texasag1969 said:

    If the offensive leader of this team has the opinion that the best way to help the team is an edge rusher, then some of the baseballers in the FO need to pay close attention.

    I'm sure they are. If he can hit a 90 mph fastball, count on him being drafted.

  • I've said it before and I'll say it again - when Joe retires he can go straight to the front office and run this team. Ozzie Newsome the second.

    jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #18

    I was listening to Joe on Mike&Mike on the way to work and man and he had some real good opinions on this.

    @gftchris said:

    I've said it before and I'll say it again - when Joe retires he can go straight to the front office and run this team. Ozzie Newsome the second.

    Based on what I've heard from the guy and past successes, can't we make him the player/GM now? It literally can't go worse.

  • I was listening to Joe on Mike&Mike on the way to work and man and he had some real good opinions on this.

    @gftchris said:

    I've said it before and I'll say it again - when Joe retires he can go straight to the front office and run this team. Ozzie Newsome the second.

    Based on what I've heard from the guy and past successes, can't we make him the player/GM now? It literally can't go worse.

    gftChrisG gftChris wrote on last edited by
    #19

    @jrb12711 said:

    Based on what I've heard from the guy and past successes, can't we make him the player/GM now? It literally can't go worse.

    And coach. I mean, how many OL coaches have we been through the last 5 years? How many have been better than JT would be?

  • JT vs. Garrett in practice only makes them both better. Iron sharpens iron.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #20

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    JT vs. Garrett in practice only makes them both better. Iron sharpens iron.

    Just struck me that in addition to being tired of seeing swings and misses at drafting franchise QBs, what Joe could very well be saying, "We have no one on our Defense that is a challenge for me."

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    JT vs. Garrett in practice only makes them both better. Iron sharpens iron.

    Would be pretty fun to watch actually. Garett was ruining Cedric Oguehu (first rounder) in the summer before his true fish season.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @wargograw said:

    Would be pretty fun to watch actually. Garett was ruining Cedric Oguehu (first rounder) in the summer before his true fish season.

    You might want to translate this "aggie-speak" for the uninitiated.

    @gftchris said:

    And coach. I mean, how many OL coaches have we been through the last 5 years? How many have been better than JT would be?

    Hmmmm.... I'm going with 'zero'.

    Exhibit A: Mitchell Schwartz

  • Here's some of what Joe Thomas had to say on the Dan Patrick show...

    "You want to go defense. I think you need to get a pass rusher," Thomas told The Dan Patrick Show on Thursday.

    Dan Patrick Show@dpshow
    The @Browns lineman @joethomas73 weighs in on who his team should take #1 danpatrick.com

    "I think you've got to be careful reaching for a quarterback at No. 1 because if they fail, they don't help your team at all. Whereas if you pick a defensive lineman and they don't live up to the hype, you can still find a place to get them on the field and to have an impact," Thomas said. "We're a team that, we need guys who can come in and start and contribute. That's the risk of taking a quarterback."

    This makes total sense to me in a way that hasn't been said before. Leave it to Joe to make the best argument I've yet heard on why NOT to take a QB at #1 (OR #12) this year.

    Mike

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @canton-mike said:

    Here's some of what Joe Thomas had to say on the Dan Patrick show...

    "You want to go defense. I think you need to get a pass rusher," Thomas told The Dan Patrick Show on Thursday.

    "I think you've got to be careful reaching for a quarterback at No. 1 because if they fail, they don't help your team at all. Whereas if you pick a defensive lineman and they don't live up to the hype, you can still find a place to get them on the field and to have an impact," Thomas said. "We're a team that, we need guys who can come in and start and contribute. That's the risk of taking a quarterback."

    This makes total sense to me in a way that hasn't been said before. Leave it to Joe to make the best argument I've yet heard on why NOT to take a QB at #1 (OR #12) this year.

    Mike

    While that is all true, it would still leave the Browns in quarterback hell.

    Joe is right, there is risk in taking any QB high. But it may be a bigger risk not doing so. You risk that you will continue to be stuck with Kessler/McCown/Griffin.

    And Joe's HC, who is in charge says that the Browns will take a QB somewhere. But, of course that is an even bigger longshot. Sure, we can take the next version of Charlie Frye, Colt McCoy, Luke McCown, Spergon Wynn, Weeed/Quinn/Manziel.

    The risks of getting an actual top QB high is better than expecting lightning to strike with a Wilson/Brady in the lower rounds in this day and age.