Skip to content

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

Locked The Browns Board
665 52 23.6k
  • Yes he does. A 2017 3rd equals a 2018 4th, not 2nd.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @wargograw said:

    Yes he does. A 2017 3rd equals a 2018 4th, not 2nd.

    Sheeze. Try to follow along. Picks get DISCOUNTED a year in the future. A 2018 second round pick is worth a third today, NOT a fourth. Boo was talking about a 2017 third. So trading a 2017 third for a 2018 second is a wash.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by

    You're right actually. I'm an idiot. Carry on

  • You're right actually. I'm an idiot. Carry on

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @wargograw said:

    You're right actually. I'm an idiot. Carry on

    I'm sorry you have just ruled yourself out of Trump's inner circle with that admission. 😆

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    I think the point is with the pick discussion is that we have the ammunition to get JG if he's the guy we truly want. If we determine, with the limited sample size, that JG presents as a better prospect than any of the rookies, then I'd say we'll do just about whatever it takes to get a deal done. A potential deal could look something like picks from this draft, next draft, and possibly players on our roster (Gordon comes to mind if there's belief he'll be reinstated again. Remember what Patriots did with Moss?). Any conjecture on the AMOUNT of picks is just that...conjecture. We're hearing all kinds of crazy talk, and we're even hearing silly stuff like the Bears or 49's using their first pick to get him. When has a QB with a handful of played QUARTERS ever gone for the second or third pick? I certainly can't think of one, and I honestly don't think we'll see it here. If a deal does end up costing the Browns the 12th pick of the draft, so be it. That would mean we still get to take our top rated player on the board, PLUS a QB that would be ready to start day 1. If we take any other QB from the draft, the likelihood of him starting right away is slim, although not impossible. Not many expected Wentz to start the season, and we all know what HE did in his first game.

    Mitch Trubisky recently was quoted as saying, "I would love to be the Browns' savior", or something close to it. I know it technically shouldn't matter that a prospect is a hometown kid, or that he wants to play for us, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't sway me a bit. Maybe it's because the story would be so amazing. The love for the team would be so real. The thought of "what if he WAS the guy who turned it around, and how much FUN it would be"....too much to ignore.

    Back to JG. What appeals most to me about him is how quickly he gets rid of the ball. I was slightly dismayed about his long ball accuracy, but that generally takes a bit of time to develop with WR's. From what little I've seen, JG surveys the entire field. He doesn't lock in on one guy. He's not afraid to challenge the middle, and he will pick up yards with his legs and slide. He has experience playing in the elements, and again, he can play DAY ONE. If we draft a QB, who the hell is going to start week 1? Kessler? I guess I'd be ok with that, in fact there's a small part of me that actually WANTS to see it. As I've said before, Kessler mostly played better than most expected, and that experience he received is worth SO much. Players get better all of the time, perhaps Kessler gets better? It's a long shot, but it's not impossible.

    I hope we get JG, and I really hope we get it done quickly. I REALLY don't see that happening, but who really knows just what the hell will go down? Doesn't free agency and trading open up next week? Perhaps this time next week we have our QB of the future, and we can turn our attention to other positions of need.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    The Eagles got a 1st for Bradford. Just ask any Vikes fan.

    Belichick has a history of swapping NE picks to go up 1 round in the following draft. Example a 2017 3rd for a 2018 2nd. Ridiculous.

    LMAO... Why would I ask a Vike's fan when you make my case for me?

    chocoC choco wrote on last edited by choco

    @tour2ma said:

    LMAO... Why would I ask a Vike's fan when you make my case for me?

    Ahem...

    Shamarko Thomas?

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Per Reports this morning from Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Pats have told people that Garropolo will NOT be made available in a trade.

    Of course, immediately people began speculating (rightly in my opinion) that this was merely a negotiating ploy to up the ante for JG.

    In other words...don't believe a word BB says. It is all bullshit simply to up the price.

    Someone (the Browns) should call his bluff and say " We will NOT be pursuing a trade for Garropolo"

  • Per Reports this morning from Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Pats have told people that Garropolo will NOT be made available in a trade.

    Of course, immediately people began speculating (rightly in my opinion) that this was merely a negotiating ploy to up the ante for JG.

    In other words...don't believe a word BB says. It is all bullshit simply to up the price.

    Someone (the Browns) should call his bluff and say " We will NOT be pursuing a trade for Garropolo"

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    Per Reports this morning from Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Pats have told people that Garropolo will NOT be made available in a trade.

    Of course, immediately people began speculating (rightly in my opinion) that this was merely a negotiating ploy to up the ante for JG.

    In other words...don't believe a word BB says. It is all bullshit simply to up the price.

    Someone (the Browns) should call his bluff and say " We will NOT be pursuing a trade for Garropolo"

    They should let it leak they are actually now after Cincy's #2 and sit back a bit.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Per Reports this morning from Adam Schefter of ESPN, the Pats have told people that Garropolo will NOT be made available in a trade.

    Of course, immediately people began speculating (rightly in my opinion) that this was merely a negotiating ploy to up the ante for JG.

    In other words...don't believe a word BB says. It is all bullshit simply to up the price.

    Someone (the Browns) should call his bluff and say " We will NOT be pursuing a trade for Garropolo"

    They should let it leak they are actually now after Cincy's #2 and sit back a bit.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @texasag1969 said:

    They should let it leak they are actually now after Cincy's #2 and sit back a bit.

    They? Who they? Browns or Pats?

  • U Umadogg1 wrote on last edited by

    Damn, no more Garappolo for you guys to construct lowball fantasies around? Man, that's got to sting.

    I'll give you guys a couple of days to compose yourselves.

    So when does the new Mary Kay Cabot AJ McCarron thread start?

  • Damn, no more Garappolo for you guys to construct lowball fantasies around? Man, that's got to sting.

    I'll give you guys a couple of days to compose yourselves.

    So when does the new Mary Kay Cabot AJ McCarron thread start?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @umadogg1 said:

    Damn, no more Garappolo for you guys to construct lowball fantasies around? Man, that's got to sting.

    I'll give you guys a couple of days to compose yourselves.

    So when does the new Mary Kay Cabot AJ McCarron thread start?

    I think these were all far more your fantasies than ours, particularly McCarron.

    Show where the Bangles have ever said they would be willing to entertain trade offers for him.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    They should let it leak they are actually now after Cincy's #2 and sit back a bit.

    They? Who they? Browns or Pats?

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by

    @the-gipper said:

    They? Who they? Browns or Pats?

    Browns. Just pretend to be Trump and let the lie lay awhile. 😉

  • Damn, no more Garappolo for you guys to construct lowball fantasies around? Man, that's got to sting.

    I'll give you guys a couple of days to compose yourselves.

    So when does the new Mary Kay Cabot AJ McCarron thread start?

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @umadogg1 said:

    Damn, no more Garappolo for you guys to construct lowball fantasies around? Man, that's got to sting.

    Translation: We nailed Jimmy's true value...

  • I think the point is with the pick discussion is that we have the ammunition to get JG if he's the guy we truly want. If we determine, with the limited sample size, that JG presents as a better prospect than any of the rookies, then I'd say we'll do just about whatever it takes to get a deal done. A potential deal could look something like picks from this draft, next draft, and possibly players on our roster (Gordon comes to mind if there's belief he'll be reinstated again. Remember what Patriots did with Moss?). Any conjecture on the AMOUNT of picks is just that...conjecture. We're hearing all kinds of crazy talk, and we're even hearing silly stuff like the Bears or 49's using their first pick to get him. When has a QB with a handful of played QUARTERS ever gone for the second or third pick? I certainly can't think of one, and I honestly don't think we'll see it here. If a deal does end up costing the Browns the 12th pick of the draft, so be it. That would mean we still get to take our top rated player on the board, PLUS a QB that would be ready to start day 1. If we take any other QB from the draft, the likelihood of him starting right away is slim, although not impossible. Not many expected Wentz to start the season, and we all know what HE did in his first game.

    Mitch Trubisky recently was quoted as saying, "I would love to be the Browns' savior", or something close to it. I know it technically shouldn't matter that a prospect is a hometown kid, or that he wants to play for us, but I'd be lying if I said it didn't sway me a bit. Maybe it's because the story would be so amazing. The love for the team would be so real. The thought of "what if he WAS the guy who turned it around, and how much FUN it would be"....too much to ignore.

    Back to JG. What appeals most to me about him is how quickly he gets rid of the ball. I was slightly dismayed about his long ball accuracy, but that generally takes a bit of time to develop with WR's. From what little I've seen, JG surveys the entire field. He doesn't lock in on one guy. He's not afraid to challenge the middle, and he will pick up yards with his legs and slide. He has experience playing in the elements, and again, he can play DAY ONE. If we draft a QB, who the hell is going to start week 1? Kessler? I guess I'd be ok with that, in fact there's a small part of me that actually WANTS to see it. As I've said before, Kessler mostly played better than most expected, and that experience he received is worth SO much. Players get better all of the time, perhaps Kessler gets better? It's a long shot, but it's not impossible.

    I hope we get JG, and I really hope we get it done quickly. I REALLY don't see that happening, but who really knows just what the hell will go down? Doesn't free agency and trading open up next week? Perhaps this time next week we have our QB of the future, and we can turn our attention to other positions of need.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by

    @jiggins7919 said:

    I hope we get JG, and I really hope we get it done quickly. I REALLY don't see that happening, but who really knows just what the hell will go down? Doesn't free agency and trading open up next week? Perhaps this time next week we have our QB of the future, and we can turn our attention to other positions of need.

    Sorry- it's not going to get done quickly, if at all- unless the Browns FO has a Matt Ryan grade on him, which I'd sincerely doubt. They will wait until after the combine & initial FA signing rush. My bet is the waiting will be in force until the draft is in progress, so Sashi & DePo see how the first 11 picks have panned out. The #12 may be more valuable than what they rate Jimmy at.

    Seriously J- what's the all fired rush to get this guy? He's not the only option the Browns have.

  • U Umadogg1 wrote on last edited by

    Tour---The only thing we've learned about Garappolo's true value is that for New England having him on the roster is more important than a low ball trade offer of draft picks and magic beans. I'm guessing your team still has plenty of time to change their minds but that would mean your they make a more serious offer, something none of you see coming.

    Gipper---Learn to do a Google search or remain impressively ignorant. Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, Jim Lippincott, and Duke Tobin have all spoken openly about the team being willing to listen to trade offers for McCarron last year and their willingness to consider a deal this year. Granted, just like the Patriots the Bengals insist it will take a good offer to interest them, but unlike the Patriots the Bengals haven't closed the door....as you and Mary Kay will soon discover. The Bengals have even opened themselves up to fan criticism by revealing what they turned down in trade last year, a public admission that makes sense only if the Bengals are interested in establishing a minimum bid going forward.

    Aggie---No reason for leaks. Marvin says he and Hue speak at least once a week and the combine is less than a week away. Pretty good bet they'll share coffee and donuts some morning.

  • Tour---The only thing we've learned about Garappolo's true value is that for New England having him on the roster is more important than a low ball trade offer of draft picks and magic beans. I'm guessing your team still has plenty of time to change their minds but that would mean your they make a more serious offer, something none of you see coming.

    Gipper---Learn to do a Google search or remain impressively ignorant. Mike Brown, Marvin Lewis, Jim Lippincott, and Duke Tobin have all spoken openly about the team being willing to listen to trade offers for McCarron last year and their willingness to consider a deal this year. Granted, just like the Patriots the Bengals insist it will take a good offer to interest them, but unlike the Patriots the Bengals haven't closed the door....as you and Mary Kay will soon discover. The Bengals have even opened themselves up to fan criticism by revealing what they turned down in trade last year, a public admission that makes sense only if the Bengals are interested in establishing a minimum bid going forward.

    Aggie---No reason for leaks. Marvin says he and Hue speak at least once a week and the combine is less than a week away. Pretty good bet they'll share coffee and donuts some morning.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @umadogg1 said:

    Tour---The only thing we've learned about Garappolo's true value is that for New England having him on the roster is more important than a low ball trade offer of draft picks and magic beans. I'm guessing your team still has plenty of time to change their minds but that would mean your they make a more serious offer, something none of you see coming.

    Why do you persist in thinking sellers alone set true value?

    As say in Mecum auctions, "And the bid goes on."

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    Heard it on the radio today from a Bengals analyst: Mike Brown has never and will never make a trade with the Browns. 1961 apparently still burns in his ass.

  • U Umadogg1 wrote on last edited by

    Tour---The seller sets the value first by determining if his asset is to be traded at all. Your Mecum example doesn't apply because the car you came to bid on never left the sellers garage. That said, the sellers lack of interest in obtaining your coveted draft picks and magic beans means you get to keep them.

    Gipper---I can top your imaginary radio story about the Bengals not trading featuring the Bengals analyst you don't bother to name. Duke Tobin spoke directly about trading McCarron yet again today and said the Bengals will listen to all offers, but warned any team that inquires about McCarron will quickly learn how much they value him.

  • Tour---The seller sets the value first by determining if his asset is to be traded at all. Your Mecum example doesn't apply because the car you came to bid on never left the sellers garage. That said, the sellers lack of interest in obtaining your coveted draft picks and magic beans means you get to keep them.

    Gipper---I can top your imaginary radio story about the Bengals not trading featuring the Bengals analyst you don't bother to name. Duke Tobin spoke directly about trading McCarron yet again today and said the Bengals will listen to all offers, but warned any team that inquires about McCarron will quickly learn how much they value him.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @umadogg1 said:

    Tour---The seller sets the value first by determining if his asset is to be traded at all. Your Mecum example doesn't apply because the car you came to bid on never left the sellers garage. That said, the sellers lack of interest in obtaining your coveted draft picks and magic beans means you get to keep them.

    Gipper---I can top your imaginary radio story about the Bengals not trading featuring the Bengals analyst you don't bother to name. Duke Tobin spoke directly about trading McCarron yet again today and said the Bengals will listen to all offers, but warned any team that inquires about McCarron will quickly learn how much they value him.

    Whether the Bengals are willing to trade McCarron is not really the issue. Maybe they would...to someone else. The issue is would Mike Brown trade him to the Browns.

    And the answer is absolutely not. And the interview I heard was with a guy that worked for Sirius Radio sports and the Sporting News. It was not imaginary. He said that Mike Brown will not get over 1961. Alex Marvez was his name:

    http://www.sportingnews.com/author/268-alex-marvez

  • U Umadogg1 wrote on last edited by

    Gipper---You're wrong. Again. Duke Tobin was asked specifically about trading McCarron to the Browns and after acknowledging how trades within the division aren't "ideal" said the Bengals would listen to any offers. Then he explained how valuable McCarron is to the Bengals and how they'll only trade him if an offer is too good to turn down. So the issue has never been about the Bengals unwillingness to trade with the Browns. Rather, the question is whether the Browns will step up and make a serious bid for any veteran QB that costs more than a single draft pick. You say no. I happily agree.

  • Gipper---You're wrong. Again. Duke Tobin was asked specifically about trading McCarron to the Browns and after acknowledging how trades within the division aren't "ideal" said the Bengals would listen to any offers. Then he explained how valuable McCarron is to the Bengals and how they'll only trade him if an offer is too good to turn down. So the issue has never been about the Bengals unwillingness to trade with the Browns. Rather, the question is whether the Browns will step up and make a serious bid for any veteran QB that costs more than a single draft pick. You say no. I happily agree.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper

    @umadogg1 said:

    Gipper---You're wrong. Again. Duke Tobin was asked specifically about trading McCarron to the Browns and after acknowledging how trades within the division aren't "ideal" said the Bengals would listen to any offers. Then he explained how valuable McCarron is to the Bengals and how they'll only trade him if an offer is too good to turn down. So the issue has never been about the Bengals unwillingness to trade with the Browns. Rather, the question is whether the Browns will step up and make a serious bid for any veteran QB that costs more than a single draft pick. You say no. I happily agree.

    I am not wrong about what the guy on the radio said. And While Duke Tobin...personell director? may have said that he would listen to any offers.....when it comes to actually trading a QB for the Browns....he had better get the OK from his boss, owner Mike Brown.

    He may have different ideas.

    And...why would the Browns ...if they wanted him offer more than a single pick for McCarron? Unless you are talking about say a 3rd rounder and a 7th rounder.

    What kind of compensation do you think the Bengals will want if they decide they would trade McCarron? (to whomever)