Skip to content

NJ's Boneless or Country Style Ribs with Sauerkraut

Barber Shop Talk
61 5 7.5k
  • @diehardbrownsfan said:

    I prefer a charcoal grill to a gas grill any day. Can't beat the flavor of charcoal.

    True enough bud.

    Unfortunately gas grills don't get hot enough for a nice Sear.

    I bought the Joe Namath cooker, kind of like a commercial broiler that fires from the top and it does a steak like a mother fucker.

    WSS

    DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @westside-steve said:

    True enough bud.

    Unfortunately gas grills don't get hot enough for a nice Sear.

    I bought the Joe Namath cooker, kind of like a commercial broiler that fires from the top and it does a steak like a mother fucker.

    WSS

    I looked it up. looks good. But my Obammy bucks EBT card won't cover it.

  • @boo-fagley said:

    Good deal.

    I was looking at some of those gas Webers tonight. Very well built.

    If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

    OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

    .....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

    I buy most all of my books used good to excellent condition on Amazon Prime. 😉

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #23

    @mjp28 said:

    If you're just an occasional griller you might get by with discount grills but if you cook all summer or more it pays to go for quality like Weber or others.

    OH BTW we got two Weber grilling cookbooks as gifts the one was maybe the best information I've ever seen in one book, I'll have to dig it out, I think it was about 300 pages (+/-) on grilling almost anything.

    .....I just Googled real quick and saw 15 Weber grilling books, I'll have to dig mine out. (And we have to get our friends to cool it with the cookbooks! But they love to eat here.)

    I buy most all of my books used good to excellent condition on Amazon Prime. 😉

    Oh I looked up my two original WEBER'S cookbooks, one big hardback and the same in a big heavy paperback c. 2005, WEBER'S REAL GRILLING by Jamie Purviance , 304 pages.

    Good reading and cooking. 🙂

  • Oh talking with my wife on the kraut again, some people put brown sugar in it, some apples (why?) and others some other things like ketchup.....really?

    I'm more on the traditional side with mine but I like my onions, cooked down of course, but no caraway seeds.

    Now on pork roast and sauerkraut potatoes, carrots, onions are all good. 🙂

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #24

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh talking with my wife on the kraut again, some people put brown sugar in it, some apples (why?) and others some other things like ketchup.....really?

    I'm more on the traditional side with mine but I like my onions, cooked down of course, but no caraway seeds.

    Now on pork roast and sauerkraut potatoes, carrots, onions are all good. 🙂

    Anyone try out any sauerkraut dishes lately? I'm curious to know how they turned out.

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by DieHardBrownsFan
    #25

    Were having kielbasa (fresh/easter kielbasa) with saurkraut, pierogi's and some kind of vegetable tomorrow. First sear the kielbasa, the put in a baking dish with the drained and rinsed saurkraut with some kind of seasoning (not sure what she uses) bake until done.

    Oh yea, onions are mixed with the kraut I know that for sure.

  • Were having kielbasa (fresh/easter kielbasa) with saurkraut, pierogi's and some kind of vegetable tomorrow. First sear the kielbasa, the put in a baking dish with the drained and rinsed saurkraut with some kind of seasoning (not sure what she uses) bake until done.

    Oh yea, onions are mixed with the kraut I know that for sure.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #26

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    Were having kielbasa (fresh/easter kielbasa) with saurkraut, pierogi's and some kind of vegetable tomorrow. First sear the kielbasa, the put in a baking dish with the drained and rinsed saurkraut with some kind of seasoning (not sure what she uses) bake until done.

    Oh yea, onions are mixed with the kraut I know that for sure.

    Sounds good! Yeah dutch ovens or layered into baking dishes are all good, just keep an eye on it when the sauerkraut gets very slightly brown on top and the keilbassi is really warmed through....ummmm!

    Plus I love the leftovers, keilbassi or hot dogs on a big sausage bun with saurkraut, yellow mustard and a nice splash of Tabasco....oh yeah.

  • Oh we're having NY Strip steaks tonight on the grill, baked potatoes with sour cream and butter, grilled asparagus and I'll have a Sam Adams Boston Lager wife has wine. (steaks and asparagus on sale, potatoes basically "dirt" cheap)

    The grilling life. 🙂

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #27

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh we're having NY Strip steaks tonight on the grill, baked potatoes with sour cream and butter, grilled asparagus and I'll have a Sam Adams Boston Lager wife has wine. (steaks and asparagus on sale, potatoes basically "dirt" cheap)

    The grilling life. 🙂

    Oh we had some nice NY Strip yesterday (on sale!) but my favorites are rib eyes or porterhouse, baked potatoes, spinach doctored up by the wife and a Sam Adams Boston Lager....oh yeah.

    Tomorrow is Easter dinner, a friend coming over. Hope you all enjoy your dinners too. 😉

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by
    #28

    17903820_1188651411256680_91168379186439

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #29

    That's what it looks like I had in Kansas City just a couple of weeks ago. So, I don't know, more like a proper Kansas...err. or Missouri meal.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #30

    A lot of people and states claim to have the best barbecue and fixings, now that would be an interesting tour!

    Many down South but how about one from every state. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-bbq-restaurants-in-the-usa

  • A lot of people and states claim to have the best barbecue and fixings, now that would be an interesting tour!

    Many down South but how about one from every state. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-bbq-restaurants-in-the-usa

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @mjp28 said:

    A lot of people and states claim to have the best barbecue and fixings, now that would be an interesting tour!

    Many down South but how about one from every state. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-bbq-restaurants-in-the-usa

    Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list, is where I just ate. I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

    South Carolina likes their BBQ sauce with a mustard base.

  • @mjp28 said:

    A lot of people and states claim to have the best barbecue and fixings, now that would be an interesting tour!

    Many down South but how about one from every state. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-bbq-restaurants-in-the-usa

    Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list, is where I just ate. I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

    South Carolina likes their BBQ sauce with a mustard base.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @the-gipper said:

    Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list, is where I just ate. I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

    South Carolina likes their BBQ sauce with a mustard base.

    Geezzzz you're making me hungry for some good BBQ ribs and other fixin's. We generally do that on the grill in warmer weather -but- occasionally get carry out.

    I also like those grilling shows on PBS many which show either backyard cooking or the real meals on the butcher paper with the works.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #33

    From the every state list......

    OHIO

    Mabel's BBQ (Address and Info)

    CLEVELAND

    The deal: There was a mixture of excitement and skepticism when it was announced that celeb chef and Cleveland institution Michael Symon was getting into the barbecue game repping "Cleveland-style" barbecue (is that a thing? We're not sure that's a thing?). But in the end, Symon knows his meat, and for an upscale-ish northern barbecue joint to win Texas barbecue authority and Ohio-native Daniel Vaughn's seal of approval, you know it's doing something right.

    The move: So about that Cleveland style. Symon's not trying to create a barbecue tradition out of whole cloth here -- much is borrowed from the great American barbecue styles, with tweaks and wrinkles to provide just a little more of a Cleveland tie-in. Think Bertman's Ballpark Mustard in the brisket smoked over local apple and cherry woods, and pastrami spices on the intimidatingly large beef short ribs. You should sample some of both, and some of the sauerkraut that comes on the side. It works. This Cleveland 'cue thing just might work out.

  • From the every state list......

    OHIO

    Mabel's BBQ (Address and Info)

    CLEVELAND

    The deal: There was a mixture of excitement and skepticism when it was announced that celeb chef and Cleveland institution Michael Symon was getting into the barbecue game repping "Cleveland-style" barbecue (is that a thing? We're not sure that's a thing?). But in the end, Symon knows his meat, and for an upscale-ish northern barbecue joint to win Texas barbecue authority and Ohio-native Daniel Vaughn's seal of approval, you know it's doing something right.

    The move: So about that Cleveland style. Symon's not trying to create a barbecue tradition out of whole cloth here -- much is borrowed from the great American barbecue styles, with tweaks and wrinkles to provide just a little more of a Cleveland tie-in. Think Bertman's Ballpark Mustard in the brisket smoked over local apple and cherry woods, and pastrami spices on the intimidatingly large beef short ribs. You should sample some of both, and some of the sauerkraut that comes on the side. It works. This Cleveland 'cue thing just might work out.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @mjp28 said:

    From the every state list......

    OHIO

    Mabel's BBQ (Address and Info)

    CLEVELAND

    The deal: There was a mixture of excitement and skepticism when it was announced that celeb chef and Cleveland institution Michael Symon was getting into the barbecue game repping "Cleveland-style" barbecue (is that a thing? We're not sure that's a thing?). But in the end, Symon knows his meat, and for an upscale-ish northern barbecue joint to win Texas barbecue authority and Ohio-native Daniel Vaughn's seal of approval, you know it's doing something right.

    The move: So about that Cleveland style. Symon's not trying to create a barbecue tradition out of whole cloth here -- much is borrowed from the great American barbecue styles, with tweaks and wrinkles to provide just a little more of a Cleveland tie-in. Think Bertman's Ballpark Mustard in the brisket smoked over local apple and cherry woods, and pastrami spices on the intimidatingly large beef short ribs. You should sample some of both, and some of the sauerkraut that comes on the side. It works. This Cleveland 'cue thing just might work out.

    It is right there next to Symon's other restarurant's on East 4th St.

    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mabel's+BBQ/@41.4986435,-81.6908498,19z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0xb9c6d4551ffbb49d!8m2!3d41.498998!4d-81.690348

  • @mjp28 said:

    A lot of people and states claim to have the best barbecue and fixings, now that would be an interesting tour!

    Many down South but how about one from every state. https://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/best-bbq-restaurants-in-the-usa

    Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list, is where I just ate. I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

    South Carolina likes their BBQ sauce with a mustard base.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @the-gipper said:

    Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list, is where I just ate. I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

    South Carolina likes their BBQ sauce with a mustard base.

    Oh so how was Joe's? On your personal best list?

  • @the-gipper said:

    Joe's BBQ in Kansas City, Kansas, which is on this list, is where I just ate. I know I will be going through the Mattapan Mass area in a couple of months.

    South Carolina likes their BBQ sauce with a mustard base.

    Oh so how was Joe's? On your personal best list?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @mjp28 said:

    Oh so how was Joe's? On your personal best list?

    Super, yes. I just had some BBQ at a place here yesterday...and it was not so good. Tough, chewy meat. There are supposed to be much better places around here. (Akron/Canton)

  • DieHardBrownsFanD DieHardBrownsFan wrote on last edited by DieHardBrownsFan
    #37

    BBQ should be fall off the bone tender.

  • BBQ should be fall off the bone tender.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    BBQ should be fall off the bone tender.

    And why generally better or the best ribs cost more, good meat cooked right.

  • BBQ should be fall off the bone tender.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @diehardbrownsfan said:

    BBQ should be fall off the bone tender.

    Yea, and this stuff was not. It was from a chain called Old Carolina.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #40

    We had this yesterday.....

    BONELESS RIBS WITH SAUERKRAUT

    2 lbs. boneless ribs

    1 or 2 large onions chopped up and browned in 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

    Black pepper 1/2 tsp, salt to taste

    Sage, parsley, thyme dried, sprinkle of each

    Sprinkle of paprika

    Garlic powder 1/4 tsp

    A few pats of butter to sauerkraut

    Brown ribs in skillet or dutch oven with about 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, remove to plate

    Brown onions in extra virgin olive oil and 2 tbsp of butter and add above dry ingredients

    One large can of sauerkraut (more if desired for leftovers ), drain and rinse in water, squeeze dry

    Add sauerkraut and herbs, cook until all combined well, add to ribs put oven at 350° for 1 to 1 1/2 hours until done juicy

    Add about 1 cup of water while cooking......

    Boneless pork with saurkraut, a mix of light and dark pieces for flavor

    Mashed potatoes

    Sliced carrots in butter with a slight dusting of brown sugar on top

    My wife is good at varying the recipe from time to time to keep it interesting.

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by mjp28
    #41

    Meals I want as soon as I can get out of the hospital system.....or stuff you can't get here.

    1. Rib eye or porterhouse steak hot off the grill, baked potato with butter and sour cream, a green veggie like grilled asparagus or creamed or plain spinach and a Sam Adams Boston Lager 🙂

    2. Ribs with saurkraut like the above recipe or maybe barbecued ribs, mmmm.

    3. My wife's roast chicken with potatoes, onions, carrots....oh yeah simple but good!

    I better stop now, I'm sure jello or other stuff is coming up in 2 hours. 😆