NJ's Boneless or Country Style Ribs with Sauerkraut
-
@boo-fagley said:
Did you notice Joes food overly salty? They drown their french fries in salt and dont spare any sodium on the BBQ either. I prefer to add my own seasoning if I want it on there and 99% of the time I add nothing because I want to taste the meat.
Arthur Bryants on Brooklyn st in KCMO is a must if you come back, Its the original location. Its best to order the BBQ to go with no sauce. Their original sauce is bitter IMO, but they have 2 other sauces that are good - spicy and a sweet mixture. They wrap the whole meal up in butchers paper so if you cant finish, just wrap it back and leave. Its a lot of food. They give you enough BBQ and bread to make 3 or 4 big sandwiches. Never had their ribs but Im sure theyre great.
Rosedales - had their ribs and theyre great. Blue collar place and the best bang for your buck. Some will tell you its the best in KC.
Slaps - New and their sauces are so good that Heinz is bottling one of them and selling them in grocery stores nation wide. Hole in the wall with good food.
Q39 - More upscale. Spicy BBQ and they just won an award in KC.
Char Bar - Nice atmosphere, good food. Gourmet BBQ. Burnt Heaven sandwich is must try, but its all good.
OK, thanks....but I don't know when I will ever be back...though at some point I may stay in Missouri in the Lake Ozark area, or be down near Joplin, but not up by KC.
You're still making me hungry.
-
@boo-fagley said:
If youre going to the lake without the wife, check out party cove.
Women take off their tops but thats perfectly legal in Missouri.
Would like to go with my son so he can go fishing.
-
@boo-fagley said:
Well MJ, I bought a smoker. Lowes had Oklahoma Joes smokers on sale for $199.00. Regular $399.00 https://www.lowes.com/pd/Oklahoma-Joe-s-Highland-879-sq-in-Black-Charcoal-Horizontal-Smoker/50329703 $399 was a steal because they are made so well. Thick steel and very heavy duty. The grates are coated with non stick so they do not rust. I made a pork roast 4 of July but I rushed the cooking with a fire too hot and I used mostly oak in the fire box. The roast did not turn out as I had hoped.
Next time Im planning to do a brisket with mostly charcoal because it burns much cleaner. What do you think?
I find cooking medium depends on things like your setup, time, preferences, etc. We went from charcoal to LP to nat gas largely because of convenience and we use our grill like an indoor stove plus I can't do charcoal like I used to.
And good choice on Weber, well made will last.
I also recommended getting a Weber cookbook or two new or used, great ideas even if you're a seasoned griller.
-
I go with Amazon Prime, see earlier post....or gifts.@boo-fagley said:
I will and grilling stuff is being marked down for winter merchandise.
....add, one of the early ones...Oh I looked up my two original WEBER'S cookbooks, one big hardback and the same in a big heavy paperback c. 2005, WEBER'S REAL GRILLING by Jamie Purviance , 304 pages.
Good reading and cooking.

-
@boo-fagley said:
There is art and science to doing it right. Do you ever watch Steve Rachlen? BBQ university.
Oh yes I watch them all on PBS, good source of information and ideas.
-
Meals I want as soon as I can get out of the hospital system.....or stuff you can't get here.
1. Rib eye or porterhouse steak hot off the grill, baked potato with butter and sour cream, a green veggie like grilled asparagus or creamed or plain spinach and a Sam Adams Boston Lager

2. Ribs with saurkraut like the above recipe or maybe barbecued ribs, mmmm.
3. My wife's roast chicken with potatoes, onions, carrots....oh yeah simple but good!
I better stop now, I'm sure jello or other stuff is coming up in 2 hours.

Meals I want as soon as I can get out of the hospital system.....or stuff you can't get here.
1. Rib eye or porterhouse steak hot off the grill, baked potato with butter and sour cream, a green veggie like grilled asparagus or creamed or plain spinach and a Sam Adams Boston Lager

2. Ribs with saurkraut like the above recipe or maybe barbecued ribs, mmmm.
3. My wife's roast chicken with potatoes, onions, carrots....oh yeah simple but good!
I better stop now, I'm sure jello or other stuff is coming up in 2 hours.

Heard today Monday that I might be done with rehab by Friday or early next week and I'll be out of here.
I'm dying after 5 weeks in the hospital and here for a good, hot steak off the grill....like you wouldn't believe!

-
Meals I want as soon as I can get out of the hospital system.....or stuff you can't get here.
1. Rib eye or porterhouse steak hot off the grill, baked potato with butter and sour cream, a green veggie like grilled asparagus or creamed or plain spinach and a Sam Adams Boston Lager

2. Ribs with saurkraut like the above recipe or maybe barbecued ribs, mmmm.
3. My wife's roast chicken with potatoes, onions, carrots....oh yeah simple but good!
I better stop now, I'm sure jello or other stuff is coming up in 2 hours.

Heard today Monday that I might be done with rehab by Friday or early next week and I'll be out of here.
I'm dying after 5 weeks in the hospital and here for a good, hot steak off the grill....like you wouldn't believe!

Heard today Monday that I might be done with rehab by Friday or early next week and I'll be out of here.
I'm dying after 5 weeks in the hospital and here for a good, hot steak off the grill....like you wouldn't believe!

I guess that will have to wait again, my stay extended to 9/2/17. I think about grilling a lot in this joint and all of the bland food. Had to refiL my pepper shaker the other day. Bummer.
-
-
BBQ should be fall off the bone tender.
Yea, and this stuff was not. It was from a chain called Old Carolina.
Yea, and this stuff was not. It was from a chain called Old Carolina.
Old Carolina is not very good. Do you want some good barbecue? Go to Mission BBQ in Canton its top-notch, so is Jimmy's Backyard BBQ in Carrollton and Sammy Sue's in Dover.
WSS
-
This is the best barbecue in the country, and of course, it's in Parma.
-
This is the best barbecue in the country, and of course, it's in Parma.
This is the best barbecue in the country, and of course, it's in Parma.
My godparents and three cousins grew up in Parma, spent a lot of time there in the late 1950s and 1960s, they had a HUGE very deep lot woods and hills that led to a big pool and picnic grounds. Used to like to go and stay there.
-
Yea, and this stuff was not. It was from a chain called Old Carolina.
Old Carolina is not very good. Do you want some good barbecue? Go to Mission BBQ in Canton its top-notch, so is Jimmy's Backyard BBQ in Carrollton and Sammy Sue's in Dover.
WSS
Old Carolina is not very good. Do you want some good barbecue? Go to Mission BBQ in Canton its top-notch, so is Jimmy's Backyard BBQ in Carrollton and Sammy Sue's in Dover.
WSS
I will have to get down there some day....if I can remember the name.
-
-
This is the best barbecue in the country, and of course, it's in Parma.
My godparents and three cousins grew up in Parma, spent a lot of time there in the late 1950s and 1960s, they had a HUGE very deep lot woods and hills that led to a big pool and picnic grounds. Used to like to go and stay there.
-
-
I will have whatever my sister feeds me, since we are going over to her place.
New Years Eve we always go with our best friends to "Gumbo's" on the square in Georgetown. You take pot luck on a 4 course meal, but it's always the very best anywhere with every course a gourmet dish. We like to be surprised.??
-
I will have whatever my sister feeds me, since we are going over to her place.
We're going with a Barefoot Contessa beef dish for Christmas, a friend coming over -and- always a kraut dish for New Year's Day.......with plenty of kraut left over for one of my favorites hot dogs, kraut, yellow mustard and Tabasco, with potato chips an old steel mill bar favorite from way, way back.
........oh and kraut with football too, a GAMEDAY meal.
-
New Years day food is Pork and Dumplings. My grandmother taught my wife how to make it before she died.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login

