Skip to content

OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....

The Browns Board
353 42 9.4k
  • @the-gipper said:

    Not true. The Browns had the #2 pick. Could have picked him. They traded #2 to the Eagles. Then SD took Bosa with pick #3.

    Yes, they could have had Bosa with pick #2...which IS what I wanted.

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not true. The Browns had the #2 pick. Could have picked him. They traded #2 to the Eagles. Then SD took Bosa with pick #3.

    Yes, they could have had Bosa with pick #2...which IS what I wanted.

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    no i was talking about dollar beer night

  • @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    @the-gipper said:

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    ikr? sigh. If only we had gotten Marrone or another 4-3 guy instead of Horton. I believe the belief in Berea that Bosa was not suited to the 3-4 was the reason they balked on him. But then again Pettine Balked on Mack who might could very well be in the hall of fame at 3 different positions by the time it's his turn. Why he wasn't seen as a fit for the 3-4 is beyond me too. Only in Cleveland.

  • @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    no i was talking about dollar beer night

    @clevfan4life said:

    no i was talking about dollar beer night

    ah.... draught nite...

  • So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

  • Every draft pick is risk/reward but some are risky than others. Trubisky is a big risk at #1

  • @londonbrown said:

    Assumed he meant on draft night.

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    @the-gipper said:

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?

    But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...

  • So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    @d-bone said:

    So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    I only watched 3 A&M games last year, and the guy is strong and athletic as hell.

    But just because you're good in college, doesn't always carry over into the NFL.

    If the Browns go defense on the first pick I hope it's Garrett.

    I just hope he doesn't turn into another FRAB (First Round Aggie Bust).

  • @clevfan4life said:

    no i was talking about dollar beer night

    ah.... draught nite...

    @tour2ma said:

    ah.... draught nite...

    well done, tip of the hat

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?

    But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?

    But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...

    There's things that Bosa does better than Garrett and things Garrett does better. If Horton were still here and we were running that fucking 3-4, and both of em were coming out...i'd say Garett's a better 3-4 olb'er prospect forgetting what Bosa did in SD this past year. If Bosa was comign out this year I'd want him as I think he was a more complete 43 DE than Garrett was. Better fit in Williams scheme imo.

  • With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....

    Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out

  • With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....

    Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out

    @mudfly said:

    With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....

    Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out

    i would have agreed before this year but you can't discount what Clowneys done this year. It looks like he's become a complete edge player.

  • Health remains Clowney's big question... hope to see him and a healthy JJ opposite each other in 2017.

    They might be as good a duo as my Garrett - Thomas one... 😉

  • So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    @d-bone said:

    So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    I watched Von Miller, Michael Bennett and Garrett and the reason I brought up Garrett to this board way back when he was a freshman was that I saw more NFL potential in him than I did either of the other two, especially Bennett who was a late bloomer. Von stayed that 4th year just so he could improve enough to be a top 5 choice. That he accomplished. And we all know now that both the other two are still premier defenders in the NFL. Nothing Garrett has done in college has changed my mind. I was disappointed that he did not meet his goals for this year, but a high ankle sprain definitely affected him. I did not think he had fully recovered until the combine because he did not want to take the time to heal and let down his teammates. Clowney pretty much took off his last year at SC so as to avoid injury before being drafted #1. I think they are comparable players in multiple ways, particularly in quickness & speed around the edge with real "bendability". If the Browns don't take him they will regret it later. He is not a Mingo. Highly motivated to be the best that's ever been. He isn't just saying it to please others. He really wants to be the best and will work his ass off to get there just like he worked his ass off to put on a "show" at the combine. You could see he was not happy at all with his "slow" 4.64 40 and he gave that extra effort to hit that 41 in. vert. and 33 reps. We will be glad he is a Brown by season's end barring any injury. Hopefully we add other stellar D players along with him so we have real depth for a change. One player never made a whole D great, but it helps.

  • ^ Good stuff Ag

  • So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?) 😉 guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned.

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    @d-bone said:

    Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.

    I always felt he needed some work with some more pass rush moves. He is very strong, quick, and had great bend; so I felt he should have been able to manufacture a few more sacks utilizing more than just a bull rush or getting the outside edge on the tackle. But I think that is something that can be improved. Also A&M has had a really bad run defense (horrendous his sophomore year) so you lose the ability to tee off when you rarely get 3rd and longs, 3rd and long could still be a run, and teams are running at a higher percentage than usual to focus on the opponent's weakness. The interior line didn't get much push either which allowed the oline to focus more on Garrett and the QBs were able to step up in the pocket to avoid him. So I wouldn't get too carried away with the production. Yeah he was very productive against weaker competition and not as much against the SEC but I always felt it was circumstantial as the SEC teams were able to run at will and the non-sec teams could be forced into passing.

    Not saying he couldn't have done better at times, but sometimes defensive players can be taken out of games to no fault of their own. The kid is athletic as hell and it shows on the field. He has bull rushed sec double teams into their QBs and gets off the snap so quick at times you think he is offsides until you watch the replay.

  • Excellent take BL. Not too many dummie DC's in the SEC West and they ALL schemed for him. The injury made it easier. And I am going to wager right now that he draws far more holding calls than he did in the SEC which is notorious for letting OLs get away with it regularly. I lost track of how many times he got tackled by the neck as he got around and by the edge with flags being rarely thrown.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?

    Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.

    If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.

    I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.

    So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?

    But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?

    But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...

    Yes, did I stutter?

  • lol... the above poll voting for taking MG at #1 has fallen all the way to 79.95%...