OK, just announce we're taking Garrett....
-
Assumed he meant on draft night.
no i was talking about dollar beer night
no i was talking about dollar beer night
ah.... draught nite...
-
So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?)
guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned. Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.
-
Every draft pick is risk/reward but some are risky than others. Trubisky is a big risk at #1
-
Assumed he meant on draft night.
Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?
Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.
If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.
I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.
Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?
Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.
If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.
I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.
So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?
But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...
-
So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?)
guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned. Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.
I only watched 3 A&M games last year, and the guy is strong and athletic as hell.So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?)
guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned. Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.
But just because you're good in college, doesn't always carry over into the NFL.
If the Browns go defense on the first pick I hope it's Garrett.
I just hope he doesn't turn into another FRAB (First Round Aggie Bust).
-
no i was talking about dollar beer night
ah.... draught nite...
-
Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?
Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.
If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.
I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.
So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?
But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...
So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?
But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...
There's things that Bosa does better than Garrett and things Garrett does better. If Horton were still here and we were running that fucking 3-4, and both of em were coming out...i'd say Garett's a better 3-4 olb'er prospect forgetting what Bosa did in SD this past year. If Bosa was comign out this year I'd want him as I think he was a more complete 43 DE than Garrett was. Better fit in Williams scheme imo.
-
With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....
Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out
-
With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....
Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out
With the 3 premium prospects....Clowney, Bosa and Garrett all just starting out....it'll be interesting to see who breaks out and who doesnt.....maybe they'll all be stars....
Based upon body type and mentality alone...I predict Bosa has the longest(& most notable) career......with Clowney being the one to flame out
i would have agreed before this year but you can't discount what Clowneys done this year. It looks like he's become a complete edge player.
-
So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?)
guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned. Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.
So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?)
guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned. Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.
I watched Von Miller, Michael Bennett and Garrett and the reason I brought up Garrett to this board way back when he was a freshman was that I saw more NFL potential in him than I did either of the other two, especially Bennett who was a late bloomer. Von stayed that 4th year just so he could improve enough to be a top 5 choice. That he accomplished. And we all know now that both the other two are still premier defenders in the NFL. Nothing Garrett has done in college has changed my mind. I was disappointed that he did not meet his goals for this year, but a high ankle sprain definitely affected him. I did not think he had fully recovered until the combine because he did not want to take the time to heal and let down his teammates. Clowney pretty much took off his last year at SC so as to avoid injury before being drafted #1. I think they are comparable players in multiple ways, particularly in quickness & speed around the edge with real "bendability". If the Browns don't take him they will regret it later. He is not a Mingo. Highly motivated to be the best that's ever been. He isn't just saying it to please others. He really wants to be the best and will work his ass off to get there just like he worked his ass off to put on a "show" at the combine. You could see he was not happy at all with his "slow" 4.64 40 and he gave that extra effort to hit that 41 in. vert. and 33 reps. We will be glad he is a Brown by season's end barring any injury. Hopefully we add other stellar D players along with him so we have real depth for a change. One player never made a whole D great, but it helps.
-
So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?)
guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned. Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.
Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.
I always felt he needed some work with some more pass rush moves. He is very strong, quick, and had great bend; so I felt he should have been able to manufacture a few more sacks utilizing more than just a bull rush or getting the outside edge on the tackle. But I think that is something that can be improved. Also A&M has had a really bad run defense (horrendous his sophomore year) so you lose the ability to tee off when you rarely get 3rd and longs, 3rd and long could still be a run, and teams are running at a higher percentage than usual to focus on the opponent's weakness. The interior line didn't get much push either which allowed the oline to focus more on Garrett and the QBs were able to step up in the pocket to avoid him. So I wouldn't get too carried away with the production. Yeah he was very productive against weaker competition and not as much against the SEC but I always felt it was circumstantial as the SEC teams were able to run at will and the non-sec teams could be forced into passing.
Not saying he couldn't have done better at times, but sometimes defensive players can be taken out of games to no fault of their own. The kid is athletic as hell and it shows on the field. He has bull rushed sec double teams into their QBs and gets off the snap so quick at times you think he is offsides until you watch the replay.
-
Excellent take BL. Not too many dummie DC's in the SEC West and they ALL schemed for him. The injury made it easier. And I am going to wager right now that he draws far more holding calls than he did in the SEC which is notorious for letting OLs get away with it regularly. I lost track of how many times he got tackled by the neck as he got around and by the edge with flags being rarely thrown.
-
Not sure why that matters. On draft night they had the 15th pick. And they made the trade only a day or two earlier, no?
Point is...unlike what TCPO advocates the Browns did NOT elect to select the highest rated player when they basically had to chance to do so.
If I recall correctly, Bosa's "rating/grade" was much higher essentially than either of the QBs.
I mean, it is hindsight, but we should have gone for the DE last year (as I think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett), and we shoulda gone QB this year.
So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?
But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...
So you think Bosa was a better prospect than Garrett, despite the fact that Garrett's prospect score is higher?
But I thought the NFL prospect score was all that matters...
Yes, did I stutter?
-
From another thread...
-
So can any of you unbiased A&M (oxymoron?)
guys give your honest thoughts on Garrett being the next Khalil Mack vs the next Mingo? I haven't seen him play a snap, but hearing things from some of the 'experts' in the media (oxymoron?) about him disappearing against top talent has me concerned. Just looking for someone who has watched him play multiple games and can give an honest good vs bad scouting opinion, as well as your overall prediction, whether he's a Brown or not.
I watched Von Miller, Michael Bennett and Garrett and the reason I brought up Garrett to this board way back when he was a freshman was that I saw more NFL potential in him than I did either of the other two, especially Bennett who was a late bloomer. Von stayed that 4th year just so he could improve enough to be a top 5 choice. That he accomplished. And we all know now that both the other two are still premier defenders in the NFL. Nothing Garrett has done in college has changed my mind. I was disappointed that he did not meet his goals for this year, but a high ankle sprain definitely affected him. I did not think he had fully recovered until the combine because he did not want to take the time to heal and let down his teammates. Clowney pretty much took off his last year at SC so as to avoid injury before being drafted #1. I think they are comparable players in multiple ways, particularly in quickness & speed around the edge with real "bendability". If the Browns don't take him they will regret it later. He is not a Mingo. Highly motivated to be the best that's ever been. He isn't just saying it to please others. He really wants to be the best and will work his ass off to get there just like he worked his ass off to put on a "show" at the combine. You could see he was not happy at all with his "slow" 4.64 40 and he gave that extra effort to hit that 41 in. vert. and 33 reps. We will be glad he is a Brown by season's end barring any injury. Hopefully we add other stellar D players along with him so we have real depth for a change. One player never made a whole D great, but it helps.
I watched Von Miller, Michael Bennett and Garrett and the reason I brought up Garrett to this board way back when he was a freshman was that I saw more NFL potential in him than I did either of the other two, especially Bennett who was a late bloomer. Von stayed that 4th year just so he could improve enough to be a top 5 choice. That he accomplished. And we all know now that both the other two are still premier defenders in the NFL. Nothing Garrett has done in college has changed my mind. I was disappointed that he did not meet his goals for this year, but a high ankle sprain definitely affected him. I did not think he had fully recovered until the combine because he did not want to take the time to heal and let down his teammates. Clowney pretty much took off his last year at SC so as to avoid injury before being drafted #1. I think they are comparable players in multiple ways, particularly in quickness & speed around the edge with real "bendability". If the Browns don't take him they will regret it later. He is not a Mingo. Highly motivated to be the best that's ever been. He isn't just saying it to please others. He really wants to be the best and will work his ass off to get there just like he worked his ass off to put on a "show" at the combine. You could see he was not happy at all with his "slow" 4.64 40 and he gave that extra effort to hit that 41 in. vert. and 33 reps. We will be glad he is a Brown by season's end barring any injury. Hopefully we add other stellar D players along with him so we have real depth for a change. One player never made a whole D great, but it helps.
Great read Aggies! Very good point about 1 player doesn't make a Defense. Look no further than Bosa. San Diego was still ranked 29th in points against; and they were the only team Cleveland beat (even though Bosa played well).
I think Gregg Williams will be ideal coach for Garrett.
1 thing a lot of people are forgetting is that our most talented defensive lineman (Des Bryant) returns with fresh legs after a full year off.
Adding Collins improved our LBer Corps in 2016..
This draft looks loaded at Safety which matches another big need we can improve this team by addressing.
-
I watched Von Miller, Michael Bennett and Garrett and the reason I brought up Garrett to this board way back when he was a freshman was that I saw more NFL potential in him than I did either of the other two, especially Bennett who was a late bloomer. Von stayed that 4th year just so he could improve enough to be a top 5 choice. That he accomplished. And we all know now that both the other two are still premier defenders in the NFL. Nothing Garrett has done in college has changed my mind. I was disappointed that he did not meet his goals for this year, but a high ankle sprain definitely affected him. I did not think he had fully recovered until the combine because he did not want to take the time to heal and let down his teammates. Clowney pretty much took off his last year at SC so as to avoid injury before being drafted #1. I think they are comparable players in multiple ways, particularly in quickness & speed around the edge with real "bendability". If the Browns don't take him they will regret it later. He is not a Mingo. Highly motivated to be the best that's ever been. He isn't just saying it to please others. He really wants to be the best and will work his ass off to get there just like he worked his ass off to put on a "show" at the combine. You could see he was not happy at all with his "slow" 4.64 40 and he gave that extra effort to hit that 41 in. vert. and 33 reps. We will be glad he is a Brown by season's end barring any injury. Hopefully we add other stellar D players along with him so we have real depth for a change. One player never made a whole D great, but it helps.
Great read Aggies! Very good point about 1 player doesn't make a Defense. Look no further than Bosa. San Diego was still ranked 29th in points against; and they were the only team Cleveland beat (even though Bosa played well).
I think Gregg Williams will be ideal coach for Garrett.
1 thing a lot of people are forgetting is that our most talented defensive lineman (Des Bryant) returns with fresh legs after a full year off.
Adding Collins improved our LBer Corps in 2016..
This draft looks loaded at Safety which matches another big need we can improve this team by addressing.
Great read Aggies! Very good point about 1 player doesn't make a Defense. Look no further than Bosa. San Diego was still ranked 29th in points against; and they were the only team Cleveland beat (even though Bosa played well).
One of the first things I did when SD drafted Bosa was to see if we played SD, to my obvious chagrin we did. I just knew he was going to haunt us in someway. I just thank the ever loving god he didn't go to a team in the North. I would have found some way to blame all of you for the Browns letting that happen. lols
-
Great read Aggies! Very good point about 1 player doesn't make a Defense. Look no further than Bosa. San Diego was still ranked 29th in points against; and they were the only team Cleveland beat (even though Bosa played well).
One of the first things I did when SD drafted Bosa was to see if we played SD, to my obvious chagrin we did. I just knew he was going to haunt us in someway. I just thank the ever loving god he didn't go to a team in the North. I would have found some way to blame all of you for the Browns letting that happen. lols
I would have found some another way to blame all of you for the Browns letting that happen. lols
FIFY
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login