Kenny Britt signing with the Browns
-
hell...they shoulda just kept Benji for a lot less.....this guy is older, slower and more expensive.....(and I didnt even want Benji)
-
Anybody else find it odd that the Browns are still going after FA receivers, when they drafted like a dozen last year?
Anybody else find it odd that the Browns are still going after FA receivers, when they drafted like a dozen last year?
Odd?.....no.........sad?......yes
I already said this is another d Bowe. or Stallworth.
Kind of feels that way to me.....except Id expect this HC to actually play the guy brought in, as opposed to exiling him....(Britt cost a lot more, thats for sure)(so expectations will be high)
Not anyone that wants to add experience to a position that sometimes needs to have 3 or 4 WRs in a given formation.
This isn't the only franchise that will sign a veteran FA WR 1 year after it drafted more than 1.
I think the issue is that this team cut/released all the WR experience in a massive purge, so they could go with youth.....
And, now, suddenly they over pay for an older receiver with a limited resume......which is EXACTLY OPPOSITE what the plan was just a few months back.....
1 year ago....we had Benji - Gabriel - Pryor (all up and coming talents)....plus Hartline - Hawkins - Bowe - Moore (all veteran players)......and we saw fit to cut and release every one of them......
And now, have left ourselves with the 4 guys we drafted....and nothing else but a glaring need......so we signed Britt.....
I dont dislike Britt.....just hate spinning our wheels and not making any notable progress.....
Poorly drafted WR last year. Jury still out on Coleman the rest were wastes.
Basically....yes
Britt can win 50/50s unlike Benji
I hope so.....we someone who can.....
I would add... Benji/Pryor/Gabe could all outrun DB's......which Britt cant.....
-
Think if we have a stable of young wr from last year and spread the ball we should be okay. Hope coaching staff can limit the defense from killing our options on offense. Kill our two options and we have nothing.
-
Anybody else find it odd that the Browns are still going after FA receivers, when they drafted like a dozen last year?
Odd?.....no.........sad?......yes
I already said this is another d Bowe. or Stallworth.
Kind of feels that way to me.....except Id expect this HC to actually play the guy brought in, as opposed to exiling him....(Britt cost a lot more, thats for sure)(so expectations will be high)
Not anyone that wants to add experience to a position that sometimes needs to have 3 or 4 WRs in a given formation.
This isn't the only franchise that will sign a veteran FA WR 1 year after it drafted more than 1.
I think the issue is that this team cut/released all the WR experience in a massive purge, so they could go with youth.....
And, now, suddenly they over pay for an older receiver with a limited resume......which is EXACTLY OPPOSITE what the plan was just a few months back.....
1 year ago....we had Benji - Gabriel - Pryor (all up and coming talents)....plus Hartline - Hawkins - Bowe - Moore (all veteran players)......and we saw fit to cut and release every one of them......
And now, have left ourselves with the 4 guys we drafted....and nothing else but a glaring need......so we signed Britt.....
I dont dislike Britt.....just hate spinning our wheels and not making any notable progress.....
Poorly drafted WR last year. Jury still out on Coleman the rest were wastes.
Basically....yes
Britt can win 50/50s unlike Benji
I hope so.....we someone who can.....
I would add... Benji/Pryor/Gabe could all outrun DB's......which Britt cant.....
I think the issue is that this team cut/released all the WR experience in a massive purge, so they could go with youth.....And, now, suddenly they over pay for an older receiver with a limited resume......which is EXACTLY OPPOSITE what the plan was just a few months back.....
1 year ago....we had Benji - Gabriel - Pryor (all up and coming talents)....plus Hartline - Hawkins - Bowe - Moore (all veteran players)......and we saw fit to cut and release every one of them......
And now, have left ourselves with the 4 guys we drafted....and nothing else but a glaring need......so we signed Britt.....
I dont dislike Britt.....just hate spinning our wheels and not making any notable progress.....
Good perspective on it all Mud. People tried to tell me there wasn't a lost and found for the mind I lost over why on earth did we spent the amount of time and patience on training a 4th round pick like Benjamin (inclusive of a major knee recon setback for a year) - only to let another team sign him when he finally epitomized the reason you invest the time and patience to a passing game that needs experienced vets. Some people couldn't get past the "Flugel he's not a #1 WR" part, which wasn't going to be his role anywhere he went anyway. Our #1 WR all this time was supposed to be Josh Gordon so I was just pleased to see one of our own stepping up well beyond the expectation in 2015. As fate would have it, he was a big disappointment for San Diego in 2016 while a guy like Gabriel left herewith something to prove. While we're at it, Barnidge had 24 less receptions and 413 less yards receiving and 7 less TD receptions in 2016 than he had in 2015 not justifying that huge contract increase he just got. This stuff gets pretty unpredictable once that incentive carrot stops dangling.
I wanted us to keep Pryor too but when you look at what he chose for the same or less $ than Cleveland paid him, was it more about the money or the recruiting attraction of our QB situation vrs that of Washington? On top of that, we could rarely keep any of our QBs protected well enough to survive starts here in 2016. Cleveland isn't going to be a place or QB situation that makes a veteran FA WR want our situation especially when there's also a trend telling them we might not even have the same coaching staff returning for 2018.
All that being the case, I'm kind of glad that a once entitled Britt drafted in round 1 finally realized in 2016 that his NFL window only has so much time left. The 2016 yardage and reception volume showed me more of a willingness to come to work than he has in previous years here in Nashville.
Hopefully what we've done on the offensive line in FA this year is a first step at trying to protect whatever QBs we bring in here moving forward. Understandably, veterans like Gabriel going to a QB like Ryan or any vet going to Tom Brady over the years from Welker to Moss to Amendola to Hogan to Cooks (via trade) are more attracted to the QB and established coaching staff. If this FO does a good job this draft and some sophs emerge like possibly a Seth DeValve in the slot or Coleman looking more like the guy they hoped he'd become. We shall see.
-
Anybody else find it odd that the Browns are still going after FA receivers, when they drafted like a dozen last year?
Anybody else find it odd that the Browns are still going after FA receivers, when they drafted like a dozen last year?
Nothing odd about turning over any and every rock if you think someone is under it that might improve the team.
We've done the same thing with OL...
-
Anybody else find it odd that the Browns are still going after FA receivers, when they drafted like a dozen last year?
Nothing odd about turning over any and every rock if you think someone is under it that might improve the team.
We've done the same thing with OL...
-
I think it's more of an indictment of this FO's ability to (or inability) to draft.
Why?
Who they pick up are likely players they wanted either in the draft or UDFA, but were not available or did not come to us. Now we get our look at next to no cost.
As for our draft we spent a first, a fourth and two fifths on WR. How much gold did you expect from that haul?
-
I think it's more of an indictment of this FO's ability to (or inability) to draft.
Why?
Who they pick up are likely players they wanted either in the draft or UDFA, but were not available or did not come to us. Now we get our look at next to no cost.
As for our draft we spent a first, a fourth and two fifths on WR. How much gold did you expect from that haul?
As for our draft we spent a first, a fourth and two fifths on WR. How much gold did you expect from that haul?
Well considering all were reaches with the possible exception of Coleman, we got exactly what I expected, wasted draft choices that we could have used in trade instead of just bodies taking up roster space.
-
My brain tells me that every WR we drafted will fail to live up to any expectation, possibly including Coleman. I'm not saying he's a bust right now, I'm just saying there's no guarantee. Coleman is built similar to Antonio Brown, and actually had a pretty similar rookie season. Major difference is, Brown wasn't drafted in the first 15 picks of the draft, and he had extreme value on special teams. If we looked at Brown's rookie year, I don't think ANYBODY would have said he'd turn into the best (or one of the best) WR's in the league, so Coleman still has a chance for a bright future. However, if Coleman IS going to develop into a major weapon, he will need consistent QB play, his health, and other weapons on offense that can help take some pressure off.
My heart tells me that our front office HAS to get it right on another WR. Maybe Higgins? Louis did some decent things, but I fear his stone hands will doom him ultimately. I can see it now...Louis breaks free down the field, Kessler finally gets to throw it deep....and *CLANK*. Right off the mitts.
-
I think it's more of an indictment of this FO's ability to (or inability) to draft.
Why?
Who they pick up are likely players they wanted either in the draft or UDFA, but were not available or did not come to us. Now we get our look at next to no cost.
As for our draft we spent a first, a fourth and two fifths on WR. How much gold did you expect from that haul?
As for our draft we spent a first, a fourth and two fifths on WR. How much gold did you expect from that haul?
Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.
With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.
This FO has shown they can swing deals, but I still doubt their ability to draft well.
In the mean time they let a few WR's walk.Well considering all were reaches with the possible exception of Coleman, we got exactly what I expected, wasted draft choices that we could have used in trade instead of just bodies taking up roster space.
-
As for our draft we spent a first, a fourth and two fifths on WR. How much gold did you expect from that haul?
Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.
With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.
This FO has shown they can swing deals, but I still doubt their ability to draft well.
In the mean time they let a few WR's walk.Well considering all were reaches with the possible exception of Coleman, we got exactly what I expected, wasted draft choices that we could have used in trade instead of just bodies taking up roster space.
Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.
With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.
This FO has shown they can swing deals, but I still doubt their ability to draft well.
In the mean time they let a few WR's walk.
Joe Thomas? Joe Haden? Danny Shelton? How far back?
-
As for our draft we spent a first, a fourth and two fifths on WR. How much gold did you expect from that haul?
Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.
With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.
This FO has shown they can swing deals, but I still doubt their ability to draft well.
In the mean time they let a few WR's walk.Well considering all were reaches with the possible exception of Coleman, we got exactly what I expected, wasted draft choices that we could have used in trade instead of just bodies taking up roster space.
This FO has shown they can swing deals, but I still doubt their ability to draft well.
This is their first year really, last year was pretty rushed after FO changes.
-
Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.
With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.
This FO has shown they can swing deals, but I still doubt their ability to draft well.
In the mean time they let a few WR's walk.
Joe Thomas? Joe Haden? Danny Shelton? How far back?
Sad, but since 1999, those 3 guys are the cream of the first round crop.Joe Thomas? Joe Haden? Danny Shelton? How far back?
However, it's the current FO is who I'm questioning.
-
Sad, but since 1999, those 3 guys are the cream of the first round crop.Joe Thomas? Joe Haden? Danny Shelton? How far back?
However, it's the current FO is who I'm questioning.
The current FO is who I'm questioning.
Well....they have ONLY had one pick in round 1....Corey Coleman...or maybe I misinterpreted. I thought it was about 1st round picks over the years.
But maybe it was just about who this FO has picked.
One draft...14 picks....not a single one rated in Top 50 rookie players in the NFL. Yep, jury is still way out on them.
-
The current FO is who I'm questioning.
Well....they have ONLY had one pick in round 1....Corey Coleman...or maybe I misinterpreted. I thought it was about 1st round picks over the years.
But maybe it was just about who this FO has picked.
One draft...14 picks....not a single one rated in Top 50 rookie players in the NFL. Yep, jury is still way out on them.
I hope the baseball guys can apply their analytics to the realm of the NFL.Well....they have ONLY had one pick in round 1....Corey Coleman...or maybe I misinterpreted. I thought it was about 1st round picks over the years.
But maybe it was just about who this FO has picked.
One draft...14 picks....not a single one rated in Top 50 rookie players in the NFL. Yep, jury is still way out on them.
I wonder how many more chances Jimmah is going to give them.
-
Anybody else find it odd that the Browns are still going after FA receivers, when they drafted like a dozen last year?
Odd?.....no.........sad?......yes
I already said this is another d Bowe. or Stallworth.
Kind of feels that way to me.....except Id expect this HC to actually play the guy brought in, as opposed to exiling him....(Britt cost a lot more, thats for sure)(so expectations will be high)
Not anyone that wants to add experience to a position that sometimes needs to have 3 or 4 WRs in a given formation.
This isn't the only franchise that will sign a veteran FA WR 1 year after it drafted more than 1.
I think the issue is that this team cut/released all the WR experience in a massive purge, so they could go with youth.....
And, now, suddenly they over pay for an older receiver with a limited resume......which is EXACTLY OPPOSITE what the plan was just a few months back.....
1 year ago....we had Benji - Gabriel - Pryor (all up and coming talents)....plus Hartline - Hawkins - Bowe - Moore (all veteran players)......and we saw fit to cut and release every one of them......
And now, have left ourselves with the 4 guys we drafted....and nothing else but a glaring need......so we signed Britt.....
I dont dislike Britt.....just hate spinning our wheels and not making any notable progress.....
Poorly drafted WR last year. Jury still out on Coleman the rest were wastes.
Basically....yes
Britt can win 50/50s unlike Benji
I hope so.....we someone who can.....
I would add... Benji/Pryor/Gabe could all outrun DB's......which Britt cant.....
Odd?.....no.........sad?......yes
Kind of feels that way to me.....except Id expect this HC to actually play the guy brought in, as opposed to exiling him....(Britt cost a lot more, thats for sure)(so expectations will be high)
I think the issue is that this team cut/released all the WR experience in a massive purge, so they could go with youth.....
And, now, suddenly they over pay for an older receiver with a limited resume......which is EXACTLY OPPOSITE what the plan was just a few months back.....
1 year ago....we had Benji - Gabriel - Pryor (all up and coming talents)....plus Hartline - Hawkins - Bowe - Moore (all veteran players)......and we saw fit to cut and release every one of them......
And now, have left ourselves with the 4 guys we drafted....and nothing else but a glaring need......so we signed Britt.....
I dont dislike Britt.....just hate spinning our wheels and not making any notable progress.....
Basically....yes
I hope so.....we someone who can.....
I would add... Benji/Pryor/Gabe could all outrun DB's......which Britt cant.....
The mistake is looking at one year and concluding it's "the plan".
At no point have they said "we will strictly be acquiring talent via the draft".
They said they'd be exhausting all avenues, including FA, if the move was right. Signing a tall, young receiver who can high point balls to a multi year deal is the right move. Signing a 29 year old 2nd year receiver to a one year deal is not the right move, regardless of where he played college football.
Maybe if Benji and Gabe outran a few more DB's, they'd still be here...
-
As for our draft we spent a first, a fourth and two fifths on WR. How much gold did you expect from that haul?
Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.
With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.
This FO has shown they can swing deals, but I still doubt their ability to draft well.
In the mean time they let a few WR's walk.Well considering all were reaches with the possible exception of Coleman, we got exactly what I expected, wasted draft choices that we could have used in trade instead of just bodies taking up roster space.
Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.
With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.
Fine, however, I maintain that the jury is still out on Coleman... same as most of the class of 2016.
The mistake is looking at one year and concluding it's "the plan". At no point have they said "we will strictly be acquiring talent via the draft".
True... but they did place an emphasis on the draft.
-
Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.
With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.
Fine, however, I maintain that the jury is still out on Coleman... same as most of the class of 2016.
The mistake is looking at one year and concluding it's "the plan". At no point have they said "we will strictly be acquiring talent via the draft".
True... but they did place an emphasis on the draft.
Fine, however, I maintain that the jury is still out on Coleman... same as most of the class of 2016.
True... but they did place an emphasis on the draft.
Emphasis, sure. And that's why we picked 14 guys last year and have 22 picks over the next two years. But we're going to add guys via FA too and just because we do doesn't mean we're "abandoning the plan".
The rule of thumb is that WR's come into their own by year three. We lost a big bodied #1 and have a roster full of young talent just entering year two. Adding Britt isn't like we're backing up and punting on last year's draft class. We just had to fill a void and luckily there was a player that fit that mold for us in FA.
One or two youngsters will shake out as decent players.
-
I wish our team would make a statement saying that they'd stand 100% behind Josh Gordon if he completed all of his mandatory testing and therapy. I just don't see what we have to lose. So what if he's reinstated and we trade him for a 6th round pick? Big damn deal...we have plenty of picks. And it's not like Gordon is some massive distraction. He's not making waves, not a rude person in the media, and not somebody who is causing a disruption on the team....yet...he's technically still ON the team in some capacity. Everything I read (which isn't much) points to the fact the Browns are completely done with Gordon. I'm not going to spend any more time discussing the guy, but I will end with this: When it comes to addiction, you never know when a person figures out how to make it work. Never know when that addict figures out the best method of receiving treatment and silencing the demons. I'll also point out that virtually all addicts who make it to "recovery", didn't make the first or even second attempt at sobriety. It takes a few tries. Gordon is cheap, he's supremely talented, and he'd be a loyal guy if we were willing to stick by him. I know you guys will roast me over this, but whatever.
And I agree with other posters that say Coleman is still an unknown. He got completely dicked over by awful QB play, a rotating QB carousel, the injury, and by playing for a team that was down 20 points in every game. You may be thinking, "Well, if our team is DOWN 20 points a game, shouldn't his numbers GO UP?" Well, yes and no. If an NFL defense knows you're passing it every play, it can be very difficult to get deep. I also remember our QB's missing Coleman several times, many of those misses quite deep. Coleman MUST stay healthy, MUST improve, and we MUST have more consistent QB play and better defensive prowess.
And who the hell is our slot receiver going to be? Hawkins wasn't a world beater by any stretch, but do we even HAVE a slot guy? Can Higgins be that guy? Yeah...not by what I saw last year. Can he improve? He better...and quickly. I thought we could've signed Kendall Wright for that spot, as he signed somewhere for a very affordable deal. Maybe we can get someone like Victor Cruz? Not sure, but I think we need another veteran presence in the WR corp.
Many analysts have O.J. Howard going to Browns at 12, and I'd be cool with that. But if we do that, who the hell is playing QB? If we can't trade for JG, and we don't draft a QB at 12, are we rolling into 2017 with Cody? So we'd have Howard at TE with Devalve and Barnidge. That's pretty damn good. Many people feel that Howard is so talented, that a team's entire offense can basically be based around him.
-
Fine, however, I maintain that the jury is still out on Coleman... same as most of the class of 2016.
True... but they did place an emphasis on the draft.
Emphasis, sure. And that's why we picked 14 guys last year and have 22 picks over the next two years. But we're going to add guys via FA too and just because we do doesn't mean we're "abandoning the plan".
The rule of thumb is that WR's come into their own by year three. We lost a big bodied #1 and have a roster full of young talent just entering year two. Adding Britt isn't like we're backing up and punting on last year's draft class. We just had to fill a void and luckily there was a player that fit that mold for us in FA.
One or two youngsters will shake out as decent players.
Emphasis, sure. And that's why we picked 14 guys last year and have 22 picks over the next two years. But we're going to add guys via FA too and just because we do doesn't mean we're "abandoning the plan".
The rule of thumb is that WR's come into their own by year three. We lost a big bodied #1 and have a roster full of young talent just entering year two. Adding Britt isn't like we're backing up and punting on last year's draft class. We just had to fill a void and luckily there was a player that fit that mold for us in FA.
Absolutely... you plan to add FAs with ever increasing emphasis as you approach contending for titles, the corollary of which is your draft position drops.
We moved further, faster this year in FA than I thought we would, but where we did, the OL, in retrospect makes sense to me from a foundational standpoint. And, maybe most importantly, the opportunity to add a high-level OG, while weakening a divisional opponent, was one that begged to be seized.
Also agree on the WR pick up. Not sure of the percentage luck played vs. planning scenarios, but certainly the value of a vet presence in the WR room is a big bonus of the Britt signing.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login