Skip to content

Kenny Britt signing with the Browns

The Browns Board
167 48 6.7k
  • @tour2ma said:

    As for our draft we spent a first, a fourth and two fifths on WR. How much gold did you expect from that haul?

    Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.

    With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.

    This FO has shown they can swing deals, but I still doubt their ability to draft well.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Well considering all were reaches with the possible exception of Coleman, we got exactly what I expected, wasted draft choices that we could have used in trade instead of just bodies taking up roster space.

    In the mean time they let a few WR's walk.

    @canton-dawg said:

    Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.

    With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.

    Fine, however, I maintain that the jury is still out on Coleman... same as most of the class of 2016.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The mistake is looking at one year and concluding it's "the plan". At no point have they said "we will strictly be acquiring talent via the draft".

    True... but they did place an emphasis on the draft.

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Until the Browns can actually hit on a first rounder, at any position...the bar is set pretty low.

    With as many picks they had, one would think the law of averages would've given us at least 1 gem in the lot.

    Fine, however, I maintain that the jury is still out on Coleman... same as most of the class of 2016.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The mistake is looking at one year and concluding it's "the plan". At no point have they said "we will strictly be acquiring talent via the draft".

    True... but they did place an emphasis on the draft.

    @tour2ma said:

    Fine, however, I maintain that the jury is still out on Coleman... same as most of the class of 2016.

    True... but they did place an emphasis on the draft.

    Emphasis, sure. And that's why we picked 14 guys last year and have 22 picks over the next two years. But we're going to add guys via FA too and just because we do doesn't mean we're "abandoning the plan".

    The rule of thumb is that WR's come into their own by year three. We lost a big bodied #1 and have a roster full of young talent just entering year two. Adding Britt isn't like we're backing up and punting on last year's draft class. We just had to fill a void and luckily there was a player that fit that mold for us in FA.

    One or two youngsters will shake out as decent players.

  • I wish our team would make a statement saying that they'd stand 100% behind Josh Gordon if he completed all of his mandatory testing and therapy. I just don't see what we have to lose. So what if he's reinstated and we trade him for a 6th round pick? Big damn deal...we have plenty of picks. And it's not like Gordon is some massive distraction. He's not making waves, not a rude person in the media, and not somebody who is causing a disruption on the team....yet...he's technically still ON the team in some capacity. Everything I read (which isn't much) points to the fact the Browns are completely done with Gordon. I'm not going to spend any more time discussing the guy, but I will end with this: When it comes to addiction, you never know when a person figures out how to make it work. Never know when that addict figures out the best method of receiving treatment and silencing the demons. I'll also point out that virtually all addicts who make it to "recovery", didn't make the first or even second attempt at sobriety. It takes a few tries. Gordon is cheap, he's supremely talented, and he'd be a loyal guy if we were willing to stick by him. I know you guys will roast me over this, but whatever.

    And I agree with other posters that say Coleman is still an unknown. He got completely dicked over by awful QB play, a rotating QB carousel, the injury, and by playing for a team that was down 20 points in every game. You may be thinking, "Well, if our team is DOWN 20 points a game, shouldn't his numbers GO UP?" Well, yes and no. If an NFL defense knows you're passing it every play, it can be very difficult to get deep. I also remember our QB's missing Coleman several times, many of those misses quite deep. Coleman MUST stay healthy, MUST improve, and we MUST have more consistent QB play and better defensive prowess.

    And who the hell is our slot receiver going to be? Hawkins wasn't a world beater by any stretch, but do we even HAVE a slot guy? Can Higgins be that guy? Yeah...not by what I saw last year. Can he improve? He better...and quickly. I thought we could've signed Kendall Wright for that spot, as he signed somewhere for a very affordable deal. Maybe we can get someone like Victor Cruz? Not sure, but I think we need another veteran presence in the WR corp.

    Many analysts have O.J. Howard going to Browns at 12, and I'd be cool with that. But if we do that, who the hell is playing QB? If we can't trade for JG, and we don't draft a QB at 12, are we rolling into 2017 with Cody? So we'd have Howard at TE with Devalve and Barnidge. That's pretty damn good. Many people feel that Howard is so talented, that a team's entire offense can basically be based around him.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Fine, however, I maintain that the jury is still out on Coleman... same as most of the class of 2016.

    True... but they did place an emphasis on the draft.

    Emphasis, sure. And that's why we picked 14 guys last year and have 22 picks over the next two years. But we're going to add guys via FA too and just because we do doesn't mean we're "abandoning the plan".

    The rule of thumb is that WR's come into their own by year three. We lost a big bodied #1 and have a roster full of young talent just entering year two. Adding Britt isn't like we're backing up and punting on last year's draft class. We just had to fill a void and luckily there was a player that fit that mold for us in FA.

    One or two youngsters will shake out as decent players.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Emphasis, sure. And that's why we picked 14 guys last year and have 22 picks over the next two years. But we're going to add guys via FA too and just because we do doesn't mean we're "abandoning the plan".

    The rule of thumb is that WR's come into their own by year three. We lost a big bodied #1 and have a roster full of young talent just entering year two. Adding Britt isn't like we're backing up and punting on last year's draft class. We just had to fill a void and luckily there was a player that fit that mold for us in FA.

    Absolutely... you plan to add FAs with ever increasing emphasis as you approach contending for titles, the corollary of which is your draft position drops.

    We moved further, faster this year in FA than I thought we would, but where we did, the OL, in retrospect makes sense to me from a foundational standpoint. And, maybe most importantly, the opportunity to add a high-level OG, while weakening a divisional opponent, was one that begged to be seized.

    Also agree on the WR pick up. Not sure of the percentage luck played vs. planning scenarios, but certainly the value of a vet presence in the WR room is a big bonus of the Britt signing.

  • I wish our team would make a statement saying that they'd stand 100% behind Josh Gordon if he completed all of his mandatory testing and therapy. I just don't see what we have to lose. So what if he's reinstated and we trade him for a 6th round pick? Big damn deal...we have plenty of picks. And it's not like Gordon is some massive distraction. He's not making waves, not a rude person in the media, and not somebody who is causing a disruption on the team....yet...he's technically still ON the team in some capacity. Everything I read (which isn't much) points to the fact the Browns are completely done with Gordon. I'm not going to spend any more time discussing the guy, but I will end with this: When it comes to addiction, you never know when a person figures out how to make it work. Never know when that addict figures out the best method of receiving treatment and silencing the demons. I'll also point out that virtually all addicts who make it to "recovery", didn't make the first or even second attempt at sobriety. It takes a few tries. Gordon is cheap, he's supremely talented, and he'd be a loyal guy if we were willing to stick by him. I know you guys will roast me over this, but whatever.

    And I agree with other posters that say Coleman is still an unknown. He got completely dicked over by awful QB play, a rotating QB carousel, the injury, and by playing for a team that was down 20 points in every game. You may be thinking, "Well, if our team is DOWN 20 points a game, shouldn't his numbers GO UP?" Well, yes and no. If an NFL defense knows you're passing it every play, it can be very difficult to get deep. I also remember our QB's missing Coleman several times, many of those misses quite deep. Coleman MUST stay healthy, MUST improve, and we MUST have more consistent QB play and better defensive prowess.

    And who the hell is our slot receiver going to be? Hawkins wasn't a world beater by any stretch, but do we even HAVE a slot guy? Can Higgins be that guy? Yeah...not by what I saw last year. Can he improve? He better...and quickly. I thought we could've signed Kendall Wright for that spot, as he signed somewhere for a very affordable deal. Maybe we can get someone like Victor Cruz? Not sure, but I think we need another veteran presence in the WR corp.

    Many analysts have O.J. Howard going to Browns at 12, and I'd be cool with that. But if we do that, who the hell is playing QB? If we can't trade for JG, and we don't draft a QB at 12, are we rolling into 2017 with Cody? So we'd have Howard at TE with Devalve and Barnidge. That's pretty damn good. Many people feel that Howard is so talented, that a team's entire offense can basically be based around him.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Everything I read (which isn't much) points to the fact the Browns are completely done with Gordon.

    Not getting the same sense here. Aside from Hue's "we're done with him," going into last season, I'm hard pressed to recall a comment excepting some softening at season's end.

    I was among those that thought at the time that Hue was speaking for the Staff and their plans for 2016... was simply putting out word that he was done with the topic least it become a distraction.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Joe Thomas? Joe Haden? Danny Shelton? How far back?

    Sad, but since 1999, those 3 guys are the cream of the first round crop.

    However, it's the current FO is who I'm questioning.

    @canton-dawg said:

    Sad, but since 1999, those 3 guys are the cream of the first round crop.

    However, it's the current FO is who I'm questioning.

    and with a mere 16 games and a single draft class, you somehow think you already know how it's gonna shake out?

    Why is it browns fans think they know how a players career will end up after a year...

  • @canton-dawg said:

    Sad, but since 1999, those 3 guys are the cream of the first round crop.

    However, it's the current FO is who I'm questioning.

    and with a mere 16 games and a single draft class, you somehow think you already know how it's gonna shake out?

    Why is it browns fans think they know how a players career will end up after a year...

    @choco said:

    and with a mere 16 games and a single draft class, you somehow think you already know how it's gonna shake out?

    Nailed it.

  • Hah this Shmucking douchebag is Dwayne Bowe 2.0!

    And to think, some of you actually thought this was a good idea!

    HAHAHAHAHAHA

  • Hah this Shmucking douchebag is Dwayne Bowe 2.0!

    And to think, some of you actually thought this was a good idea!

    HAHAHAHAHAHA

    @domcucch1994 said:

    Hah this Shmucking douchebag is Dwayne Bowe 2.0!

    And to think, some of you actually thought this was a good idea!

    HAHAHAHAHAHA

    Makes shudder to think of which washed up WR in FA they will sign next.

  • Was an interesting journey thru six and a half old pages...

    Some deserve to crow about Britt... with the proper deduction for any Pryor touting...

  • Anybody want to talk about Pryor today?

    Bueller?

    Bueller?

  • Anybody want to talk about Pryor today?

    Bueller?

    Bueller?

    @tour2ma said:

    Anybody want to talk about Pryor today?

    Na.. but not like me😉 not a single post in a 7 pager from me about Kenny Britt.(whats that tell ya).but Browns52 calls me his Boy?..still waiting Browns52😛