Skip to content

JC Tretter - Center, Packers

The Browns Board
42 21 2.5k
  • @londonbrown said:

    I think Tretter means no dice for Zietler, that would be four highly paid guys on the OL?

    I think it's probably a pre-season battle between Cam and Coleman for the RT spot

    I'm not sure that Tretter will be so highly paid as people expect. Remember, he's only started 10 games in his career. He gets injured a lot, but he is versatile.

    @osiris said:

    I'm not sure that Tretter will be so highly paid as people expect. Remember, he's only started 10 games in his career. He gets injured a lot, but he is versatile.

    Is he really any good? 10 games? He may be an upgrade from Erving....what about from Reiter?

    Could they still go for an OC in like the 3rd round?

    Don't be surprised.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I would still like a T to compete with Erving. I don't like us essentially handing over the keys to him...which is what we're doing if we don't resign Paz.

    Shon Coleman definitely will compete....and maybe Drango. I expect Coleman to start performing well now in his second year. Remember how the Schwartz was considered perhaps a bad pick after his rookie year...but came on in year 2? I expect/hope the same for both Coleman and Drango.

    Remember....Coleman and Drango are this FO's "guys". Erving is not. Erving has a much, much shorter leash.

    Would not be surprised to see him dumped....if not soon...perhaps even cut in training camp.

    @the-gipper said:

    Shon Coleman definitely will compete....and maybe Drango. I expect Coleman to start performing well now in his second year. Remember how the Schwartz was considered perhaps a bad pick after his rookie year...but came on in year 2? I expect/hope the same for both Coleman and Drango.

    Remember....Coleman and Drango are this FO's "guys". Erving is not. Erving has a much, much shorter leash.

    Would not be surprised to see him dumped....if not soon...perhaps even cut in training camp.

    Coleman really needed a year to bulk up a bit more, if he has done that he should be able to become a solid contributor.

  • @osiris said:

    I'm not sure that Tretter will be so highly paid as people expect. Remember, he's only started 10 games in his career. He gets injured a lot, but he is versatile.

    Is he really any good? 10 games? He may be an upgrade from Erving....what about from Reiter?

    Could they still go for an OC in like the 3rd round?

    Don't be surprised.

    @the-gipper said:

    Is he really any good? 10 games? He may be an upgrade from Erving....what about from Reiter?

    Could they still go for an OC in like the 3rd round?

    Don't be surprised.

    I believe he's ranked as a top-10 center when he's playing.

  • I think Tretter means no dice for Zietler, that would be four highly paid guys on the OL?

    I think it's probably a pre-season battle between Cam and Coleman for the RT spot

    @londonbrown said:

    I think it's probably a pre-season battle between Cam and Coleman for the RT spot

    I predict a 1st round knock-out...

    Tretter? Nice piece, but nothing to get to excited about. I think the starting Center battle will be closer than the RT one. Don't forget Fabiano...

    Even without signing Zeitler I now have to wonder about Greco's future with us.

  • Good point, Greco had the Lisfranc recently.. perhaps they know something not shared yet regarding rehab progress. To be fair, Greco's not as young as he used to be and perhaps they're planning on cutting anyway.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Shon Coleman definitely will compete....and maybe Drango. I expect Coleman to start performing well now in his second year. Remember how the Schwartz was considered perhaps a bad pick after his rookie year...but came on in year 2? I expect/hope the same for both Coleman and Drango.

    Remember....Coleman and Drango are this FO's "guys". Erving is not. Erving has a much, much shorter leash.

    Would not be surprised to see him dumped....if not soon...perhaps even cut in training camp.

    Coleman really needed a year to bulk up a bit more, if he has done that he should be able to become a solid contributor.

    @bbedward said:

    Coleman really needed a year to bulk up a bit more, if he has done that he should be able to become a solid contributor.

    My buddy is dyed in the wool Auburn freak... Has oohed and ahhed about Coleman since the day we drafted him. Kid has a BIG rep in Alabama. Tide went for him HARD.

  • @bbedward said:

    Coleman really needed a year to bulk up a bit more, if he has done that he should be able to become a solid contributor.

    My buddy is dyed in the wool Auburn freak... Has oohed and ahhed about Coleman since the day we drafted him. Kid has a BIG rep in Alabama. Tide went for him HARD.

    @alporcini said:

    Tide went for him HARD.

    This is a great story with tremendous insight regarding the 2017 Cleveland Browns.

  • No reason to get snarky...

    In related(?) news...

    We just claimed a Center off Waivers from SF...

    Another Browns OL move: the team has claimed former 49ers C Marcus Martin off of waivers, per source.

  • No reason to get snarky...

    In related(?) news...

    We just claimed a Center off Waivers from SF...

    Another Browns OL move: the team has claimed former 49ers C Marcus Martin off of waivers, per source.

    @tour2ma said:

    No reason to get snarky...

    In related(?) news...

    We just claimed a Center off Waivers from SF...

    Another Browns OL move: the team has claimed former 49ers C Marcus Martin off of waivers, per source.

    Tour:

  • Never watched that show, Ag...

    But turns out our other new Center is out of USC and was NFLDraftScout's #1 Center in the 2014 Draft Class.

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119877&draftyear=2014&genpos=C

  • Never watched that show, Ag...

    But turns out our other new Center is out of USC and was NFLDraftScout's #1 Center in the 2014 Draft Class.

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119877&draftyear=2014&genpos=C

    @tour2ma said:

    Never watched that show, Ag...

    But turns out our other new Center is out of USC and was NFLDraftScout's #1 Center in the 2014 Draft Class.

    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=119877&draftyear=2014&genpos=C

    Did some reading about him. He sounds an awful lot like Erving but the Browns have nothing in the guy. Kick the tires.

  • All of these OL signings are good news. Plenty of competition at Center. The Guard position is improved. Greco can now heal properly and backup Guard and Center. Erving is gonna have to be a respectable RT or he's gonna be another 1st round pick casualty. (Erving not tied to this regime, obviously)

  • Yup... Greco to the PUP list seems a likely "stash". As a true OG/OT swingman, Drango looks to be the safest non-starter.

    Resolving our OT depth is going to be interesting.

  • Article on Tretter and Zeitler with a bunch of gif highlights... and some really bad "analysis".

    http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2017/03/kevin_zeitler_jc_tretter_cleve.html

    Never saw Tretter drive block and only one example of him anchoring... and in that one instance I really am not sure the NT was giving his all. Did see him hold... twice...

    The guy looks quick and agile just as a ZBS Center should for a ZBS team, which the Packers are, but we're a power run game team, so we shall see.

    Zeitler? No brainer... although I've no idea what he and the OT were doing on their pull left. It almost looked like Zeit handed off the CB by design... weird..

  • Can't see us seriously getting Zeitler now. But that's ok...center was a mess last year, and now it's not. And Austin Reiter could be a nice backup option.

    @jiggins7919 said:

    ...center was a mess last year, and now it's not. And Austin Reiter could be a nice backup option.

    Yep....nice add......though, I thought Reiter was the answer....

    @tour2ma said:

    Tretter? Nice piece, but nothing to get to excited about. I think the starting Center battle will be closer than the RT one. Don't forget Fabiano...

    Reiters the guy.....wait, it's Tretter.....and now Fabiano????

    @tour2ma said:

    No reason to get snarky...

    We just claimed a Center off Waivers from SF...

    Another Browns OL move: the team has claimed former 49ers C Marcus Martin off of waivers, per source.

    HA!....I now love snarky......😉

    and now we claim ANOTHER center????......which makes 4?.....the WR's are jealous......

    So Reiter obviously isnt the guy......or else why add 3 more?......

    It's good to see them trying.......I admit that....but, like the WR thing last year, it sometimes feels like these guys dont trust their own judgement, and therefore, collect as much shit as possible to throw at that big wall down in Berea....

  • You could start a plantation with all those strawmen.

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    ...center was a mess last year, and now it's not. And Austin Reiter could be a nice backup option.

    Yep....nice add......though, I thought Reiter was the answer....

    @tour2ma said:

    Tretter? Nice piece, but nothing to get to excited about. I think the starting Center battle will be closer than the RT one. Don't forget Fabiano...

    Reiters the guy.....wait, it's Tretter.....and now Fabiano????

    @tour2ma said:

    No reason to get snarky...

    We just claimed a Center off Waivers from SF...

    Another Browns OL move: the team has claimed former 49ers C Marcus Martin off of waivers, per source.

    HA!....I now love snarky......😉

    and now we claim ANOTHER center????......which makes 4?.....the WR's are jealous......

    So Reiter obviously isnt the guy......or else why add 3 more?......

    It's good to see them trying.......I admit that....but, like the WR thing last year, it sometimes feels like these guys dont trust their own judgement, and therefore, collect as much shit as possible to throw at that big wall down in Berea....

    @mudfly said:

    Reiters the guy.....wait, it's Tretter.....and now Fabiano???? and now we claim ANOTHER center????......which makes 4?.....the WR's are jealous......

    So Reiter obviously isnt the guy......or else why add 3 more?......

    It's good to see them trying.......I admit that....but, like the WR thing last year, it sometimes feels like these guys dont trust their own judgement, and therefore, collect as much shit as possible to throw at that big wall down in Berea...

    Pretty sure no one said anyone was "the guy" at Center. Some, including me, have said that both Reiter and Fabs looked promising in limited auditions. Good enough that with Greco coming back a Center was not a top priority.

    Depending on how you want to look at it, a case can be made our FO agreed or disagreed with the above. While they were not comfortable standing pat (disagreed) the cost of signing Tretter was modest so it's not as if he was highly recruited (agreed). It could also be that Greco is not rehabbing as well as hoped and is heading towards the PUP list, in which case we have room for one more.

    While I'd think we can safely pencil in Tretter as of now at #1 Center, it looks like at least a 2-way competition to me... and maybe a 3-way.

    As for the waiver signing? Who knows? Perhaps we weren't the only one interested, or a team has asked about Reiter or Fabs.

    After all, we don't have a pick in the 7th round... and this is a pretty weak OL draft.

  • @mudfly said:

    Reiters the guy.....wait, it's Tretter.....and now Fabiano???? and now we claim ANOTHER center????......which makes 4?.....the WR's are jealous......

    So Reiter obviously isnt the guy......or else why add 3 more?......

    It's good to see them trying.......I admit that....but, like the WR thing last year, it sometimes feels like these guys dont trust their own judgement, and therefore, collect as much shit as possible to throw at that big wall down in Berea...

    Pretty sure no one said anyone was "the guy" at Center. Some, including me, have said that both Reiter and Fabs looked promising in limited auditions. Good enough that with Greco coming back a Center was not a top priority.

    Depending on how you want to look at it, a case can be made our FO agreed or disagreed with the above. While they were not comfortable standing pat (disagreed) the cost of signing Tretter was modest so it's not as if he was highly recruited (agreed). It could also be that Greco is not rehabbing as well as hoped and is heading towards the PUP list, in which case we have room for one more.

    While I'd think we can safely pencil in Tretter as of now at #1 Center, it looks like at least a 2-way competition to me... and maybe a 3-way.

    As for the waiver signing? Who knows? Perhaps we weren't the only one interested, or a team has asked about Reiter or Fabs.

    After all, we don't have a pick in the 7th round... and this is a pretty weak OL draft.

    @tour2ma said:

    Pretty sure no one said anyone was "the guy" at Center.

    Some have.....but thats Ok, cause I didnt believe em....

    Like I said....no issues with the signings......4 new FA o-linemen is 4 better than last year.....so Ill take it...love it....keep it up...

    I hope they go sign 12 new OLB's too.....lets keep the acquisition train rolling....safeties anyone??

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    ...center was a mess last year, and now it's not. And Austin Reiter could be a nice backup option.

    Yep....nice add......though, I thought Reiter was the answer....

    @tour2ma said:

    Tretter? Nice piece, but nothing to get to excited about. I think the starting Center battle will be closer than the RT one. Don't forget Fabiano...

    Reiters the guy.....wait, it's Tretter.....and now Fabiano????

    @tour2ma said:

    No reason to get snarky...

    We just claimed a Center off Waivers from SF...

    Another Browns OL move: the team has claimed former 49ers C Marcus Martin off of waivers, per source.

    HA!....I now love snarky......😉

    and now we claim ANOTHER center????......which makes 4?.....the WR's are jealous......

    So Reiter obviously isnt the guy......or else why add 3 more?......

    It's good to see them trying.......I admit that....but, like the WR thing last year, it sometimes feels like these guys dont trust their own judgement, and therefore, collect as much shit as possible to throw at that big wall down in Berea....

    @mudfly said:

    Yep....nice add......though, I thought Reiter was the answer....

    Reiters the guy.....wait, it's Tretter.....and now Fabiano????

    HA!....I now love snarky...... 😉

    and now we claim ANOTHER center????......which makes 4?.....the WR's are jealous......

    So Reiter obviously isnt the guy......or else why add 3 more?......

    It's good to see them trying.......I admit that....but, like the WR thing last year, it sometimes feels like these guys dont trust their own judgement, and therefore, collect as much shit as possible to throw at that big wall down in Berea....

    Do you really love snarky or mud wrestling in the mosh pit? I saw you busting your buddy Flugel's balls with the Reiter comments you instigator and it sent a mouth full of hot coffee through my nostrils.

    You're going to be real proud of me so brace yourself. Tretter is also coming off a season ending knee injury that required reconstructive surgery like Reiter did. And when Corey Linsley took back over the Center position, shortly thereafter GB's offense began to heat up whether it's just a coincidence or not. So, I'm going to hold off on prematurely calling this an upgrade over Reiter or Fabiano (above and beyond just starting experience). I'll take the depth improvement but I hope we don't race Greco out of town just yet. If healthy - Thomas,Bitonio,Greco,Zeitler,Coleman seems like a nice idea on paper. If memory serves me right, Greco was an OT in college if Fabs/Reiter/Tretter can take over at Center and Coleman needs more time or fails.

    We shall see...

  • No one said anyone was the guy. They just said we have a lot of options that have played ok when called upon. Like I said, lots of straw men here.