Skip to content

Browns trade for BROCK OSWEILER

The Browns Board
264 57 11.3k
  • Man I've been telling everyone since the purge that Sashi and this FO are smart guys who are setting this team up for big things and you all just bitched and moaned about analytics and how you wanted "football guys" and not Harvard guys. Well this is what Harvard guys brought you: Coaches Jackson and Williams, Zeitler, Tretter, Britt, Collins, and a shitload of draft picks.

    NEWSFLASH! Being smart is GOOD! America used to celebrate that, not mock it. Here is intelligence in all its glory. Love it, embrace it, because it's going to end 18 seasons of sucking.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @osiris said:

    Man I've been telling everyone since the purge that Sashi and this FO are smart guys who are setting this team up for big things and you all just bitched and moaned about analytics and how you wanted "football guys" and not Harvard guys. Well this is what Harvard guys brought you: Coaches Jackson and Williams, Zeitler, Tretter, Britt, Collins, and a shitload of draft picks.

    NEWSFLASH! Being smart is GOOD! America used to celebrate that, not mock it. Here is intelligence in all its glory. Love it, embrace it, because it's going to end 18 seasons of sucking.

    Has there been any movement on Donta Hightower? Is it inconceivable that the Browns could sign him?

  • Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    We are not getting Garoppolo.

  • Ian Rapoport tweeted. . .

    My understand of #Browns QB situation: They’ll release RGIII. Shop Brock Osweiler and see what comes of it. Likely draft a QB as well.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @canton-dawg said:

    Ian Rapoport tweeted. . .

    My understand of #Browns QB situation: They’ll release RGIII. Shop Brock Osweiler and see what comes of it. Likely draft a QB as well.

    Imagine the totally opposite scenario: They keep RG....(they only have to give him a 750K bonus to do so). They keep Osweiler.....he is on the roster after all...and they are paying big bucks for him. And they keep Kessler.

    Then you have a 3 way fight for the starter job.

    And/or...you could still draft a QB at #12...and put him in the mix.

    The more the merrier...and you hope that actually one of them will actually turn out decent.

  • browns still have 49.5m in cap space remaining

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @cainedesoulis said:

    browns still have 49.5m in cap space remaining

    I heard that it was still like 70 million.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by

    Seems like quarterback competitions lead to chaos more often than not.

    I repeat it's hard for me to believe that Bill would shitcan somebody who he believes is The Heir Apparent to the best quarterback in the league.

    WSS

  • Seems like quarterback competitions lead to chaos more often than not.

    I repeat it's hard for me to believe that Bill would shitcan somebody who he believes is The Heir Apparent to the best quarterback in the league.

    WSS

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @westside-steve said:

    Seems like quarterback competitions lead to chaos more often than not.

    I repeat it's hard for me to believe that Bill would shitcan somebody who he believes is The Heir Apparent to the best quarterback in the league.

    WSS

    Well....if he does trade him...then it would be apparent that BB would not have that belief about him.

    Fair to say?

    Its like the old Groucho Marx line: I wouldn't belong to a club that would have me as a member.

    Well...in this case, if BB is willing to shitcan/trade him....they why should we believe in his capabilities if BB doesn't believe in them?

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by

    RG3 being released as well. So saving 8 mil there.

  • @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    The people on this board who are routinely wrong about things tend to be in unanimous decision that this was a bad move....so now I feel even better about it.

    There's no way anyone with any objectivity can look at this as a bad deal. It's not any of our money, who cares how they spend it. We have plenty of cap space, acquired a 2nd round pick for a guy who we probably will just release anyways. He's not going to be the QB of the Browns anyways so who cares about Oswelter....he sucks and we will still either draft or trade for the future QB.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @mark-o said:

    There's no way anyone with any objectivity can look at this as a bad deal.

    There was one... Bill Polian... although his objectivity can be questioned.

    On NFL Live yesterday he went on and on about any trade offer the Browns might in turn get for Brock starting at Brock plus the HOU 2018 2nd... completely ignoring the facts that we can eat salary and there might actually teams who want Brock at the right price.

    No one else on the panel challenged him, but no one jumped to support him either... it was kinda funny in a Sr. moment way.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I assumed we would, but technically we wouldn't HAVE to.

    If we can convert, say, $10m - that leaves him with $6m guaranteed remaining and likely makes him a very interesting trade piece.

    Bingo... for a few million there are probably teams who think they can fix Brock and will take a shot.

    At $16mm? Either no one could absorb or was willing to absorb his contract, and HOU could not eat enough of the contract to make it palatable.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Houstons too.

    About the level of expertise I expected... maybe slightly lower...

  • @mark-o said:

    There's no way anyone with any objectivity can look at this as a bad deal.

    There was one... Bill Polian... although his objectivity can be questioned.

    On NFL Live yesterday he went on and on about any trade offer the Browns might in turn get for Brock starting at Brock plus the HOU 2018 2nd... completely ignoring the facts that we can eat salary and there might actually teams who want Brock at the right price.

    No one else on the panel challenged him, but no one jumped to support him either... it was kinda funny in a Sr. moment way.

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I assumed we would, but technically we wouldn't HAVE to.

    If we can convert, say, $10m - that leaves him with $6m guaranteed remaining and likely makes him a very interesting trade piece.

    Bingo... for a few million there are probably teams who think they can fix Brock and will take a shot.

    At $16mm? Either no one could absorb or was willing to absorb his contract, and HOU could not eat enough of the contract to make it palatable.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Houstons too.

    About the level of expertise I expected... maybe slightly lower...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @tour2ma said:

    There was one... Bill Polian... although his objectivity can be questioned.

    On NFL Live yesterday he went on and on about any trade offer the Browns might in turn get for Brock starting at Brock plus the HOU 2018 2nd... completely ignoring the facts that we can eat salary and there might actually teams who want Brock at the right price.

    No one else on the panel challenged him, but no one jumped to support him either... it was kinda funny in a Sr. moment way.

    Polian has seemed to be having quite a few Senior moments going on this year in his commentary.

  • chocoC choco wrote on last edited by

    Think the old guard is nervous that business practices in the NFL could change drastically is the browns succeed. So these dinosaurs will continue to beat the drum with anything the browns do.

    Good ole boy network sweatin

  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by

    @boo-fagley said:

    I am not the person asking about the NE/Houston offense.

    That's true...

    You would be the poser pretending he knows what Osweiler's issue is...

  • cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by

    So what the hell? Are we keeping this guy or what?

  • So what the hell? Are we keeping this guy or what?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by

    @cambridgeho said:

    So what the hell? Are we keeping this guy or what?

    Apparently, after the RG dismissal.

  • So what the hell? Are we keeping this guy or what?

    Tim Couch Pulls OutT Tim Couch Pulls Out wrote on last edited by

    @cambridgeho said:

    So what the hell? Are we keeping this guy or what?

    If I had to guess, I'd say we pay a large part of his guaranteed money and trade him for another second.

    If we can't find a willing trade partner for that, I think it's likely we cut the shit out of him.

    What about Brock Lobster + Gordon to New England for Garoppolo? No picks exchanged.

  • @cambridgeho said:

    So what the hell? Are we keeping this guy or what?

    If I had to guess, I'd say we pay a large part of his guaranteed money and trade him for another second.

    If we can't find a willing trade partner for that, I think it's likely we cut the shit out of him.

    What about Brock Lobster + Gordon to New England for Garoppolo? No picks exchanged.

    cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    If I had to guess, I'd say we pay a large part of his guaranteed money and trade him for another second.

    If we can't find a willing trade partner for that, I think it's likely we cut the shit out of him.

    What about Brock Lobster + Gordon to New England for Garoppolo? No picks exchanged.

    Would be sweet, but they be getting Cooks today.

  • @tour2ma said:

    We'll eat a serious chunk of the $16mm to trade him. Simple conversion of salary to bonus...

    ... and the "Patriots" offense is?

    I assumed we would, but technically we wouldn't HAVE to.

    If we can convert, say, $10m - that leaves him with $6m guaranteed remaining and likely makes him a very interesting trade piece.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    I assumed we would, but technically we wouldn't HAVE to.

    If we can convert, say, $10m - that leaves him with $6m guaranteed remaining and likely makes him a very interesting trade piece.

    ESPN went in detail about this- As you mention TC- all the Browns have to do to potentially get rid of him is convert $10 million of the $16 million he's owed into a bonus. That brings his 2017 salary to $6 million, in line with other top backup qbs. So if we can unload him to another team for say a 4th round pick- it cost the Browns $10 million to "buy" a (likely low) second round pick and a 4th rounder. Thanks for stopping by for a cup of coffee Brock.

    @d-bone said:

    I am soooo tired of hearing about Garoppolo..... I hope the FO has had something else in mind the entire time, and just lets the media foam at their mouths speculating that the Browns are going to give the Pats a kings ransom for the next Ryan Mallett.

    Looks like we've added another Jimmy Fan Boy to the club..... Just because the media says that's what the Browns should do doesn't mean that's what Sashi and DePo are thinking. For all we know at the present, the Browns may not be all that enamored with Garropolo or any of the 2017 qbs in the draft. Unless the Browns somehow go 9-7 this year, a first and three seconds in 2018 should be plenty of ammunition to move up to #1 overall if they think Darnold is Da Bomb. Plus, if the Browns are 9-7 this year, they won't be drafting a qb high anyway.

    @the-gipper said:

    Imagine the totally opposite scenario: They keep RG....(they only have to give him a 750K bonus to do so). They keep Osweiler.....he is on the roster after all...and they are paying big bucks for him. And they keep Kessler.

    Then you have a 3 way fight for the starter job.

    And/or...you could still draft a QB at #12...and put him in the mix.

    The more the merrier...and you hope that actually one of them will actually turn out decent.

    Actually Gip, the now gonzo Griffin's roster bonus was closer to $1 million- ($984,375 to be exact) and they don't have to pay his $6 million 2017 salary either. All the guaranteed money has already been paid. Most of us around here think Griffin was total stinko, and Osweilier can't be much worse. Taking that deduction into account- it works out we're paying Brock around $9 million more than we would have laid out for R Glass.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by jiggins7919

    Everything I'm reading says we're not getting JG from Pats. Is that true? Obviously we have no idea, but it'd be nice if there was SOMETHING cooking regarding our acquisition of this guy. As it stands now, we have released RG III, we traded for Brock who we're looking to dump, and Josh McCown is gone as well. So right now we have Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan on the roster. Not exactly the shining example of QB prosperity. So if it's NOT JG, then are we rolling into 2017 with Kessler starting while a rookie we draft learns? I guess it's possible the new rookie beats Cody out, but I wouldn't count on it. Again, not exactly making me excited. So I guess my point is....who the hell is going to start for us? lol

    Edit: So if we're accumulating draft picks, and we're not getting JG, then could there be another QB we want to trade for? Everyone wants to link Kirk Cousins to San Fran, but what about him coming to us? We ship a bunch of picks to Washington and I'm sure they'd think about it, right? What really hurts is Benjamin Alabrecht recently reported that Kyle Shanahan fought hard for the Browns to trade for Cousins while he was with us. The price? A fourth round pick, and we wouldn't do it. Ouch.

  • Everything I'm reading says we're not getting JG from Pats. Is that true? Obviously we have no idea, but it'd be nice if there was SOMETHING cooking regarding our acquisition of this guy. As it stands now, we have released RG III, we traded for Brock who we're looking to dump, and Josh McCown is gone as well. So right now we have Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan on the roster. Not exactly the shining example of QB prosperity. So if it's NOT JG, then are we rolling into 2017 with Kessler starting while a rookie we draft learns? I guess it's possible the new rookie beats Cody out, but I wouldn't count on it. Again, not exactly making me excited. So I guess my point is....who the hell is going to start for us? lol

    Edit: So if we're accumulating draft picks, and we're not getting JG, then could there be another QB we want to trade for? Everyone wants to link Kirk Cousins to San Fran, but what about him coming to us? We ship a bunch of picks to Washington and I'm sure they'd think about it, right? What really hurts is Benjamin Alabrecht recently reported that Kyle Shanahan fought hard for the Browns to trade for Cousins while he was with us. The price? A fourth round pick, and we wouldn't do it. Ouch.

    cambridgehoC cambridgeho wrote on last edited by

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Everything I'm reading says we're not getting JG from Pats. Is that true? Obviously we have no idea, but it'd be nice if there was SOMETHING cooking regarding our acquisition of this guy. As it stands now, we have released RG III, we traded for Brock who we're looking to dump, and Josh McCown is gone as well. So right now we have Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan on the roster. Not exactly the shining example of QB prosperity. So if it's NOT JG, then are we rolling into 2017 with Kessler starting while a rookie we draft learns? I guess it's possible the new rookie beats Cody out, but I wouldn't count on it. Again, not exactly making me excited. So I guess my point is....who the hell is going to start for us? lol

    Edit: So if we're accumulating draft picks, and we're not getting JG, then could there be another QB we want to trade for? Everyone wants to link Kirk Cousins to San Fran, but what about him coming to us? We ship a bunch of picks to Washington and I'm sure they'd think about it, right? What really hurts is Benjamin Alabrecht recently reported that Kyle Shanahan fought hard for the Browns to trade for Cousins while he was with us. The price? A fourth round pick, and we wouldn't do it. Ouch.

    Also, The Browns haven't introduced the new QB via a presser. Seems like we usually do something of that sort.

  • jiggins7919J jiggins7919 wrote on last edited by

    Yeah, I tend to agree. The general feeling I'm having right now is that we're working on something big. Very big. Whether it's a huge offer to New England for JG, an offer for Kirk Cousins, or even some type of offer for A.J. McCarron....I think we're working on SOME type of massive QB deal. I can't honestly see us going into the season with Cody Kessler and a drafted rookie. I just can't. The ONLY way I see that working is if we're content to "wait another year" and just see how many games we can win with Cody, Brock, and the rookie. I could see us using the #1 pick on Garrett, and then trading DOWN from #12 in order to acquire yet more picks for 2018. Basically stacking the deck in 2018 to get whoever the hell we want. It would be a very tough pill to swallow, as 2016 almost killed so many Browns fans, but if a QB isn't there...he's not there. And maybe if we draft a rookie this year he can learn in 2017 and develop into the guy we want. I really don't know. It's kind of crazy right now.

  • Everything I'm reading says we're not getting JG from Pats. Is that true? Obviously we have no idea, but it'd be nice if there was SOMETHING cooking regarding our acquisition of this guy. As it stands now, we have released RG III, we traded for Brock who we're looking to dump, and Josh McCown is gone as well. So right now we have Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan on the roster. Not exactly the shining example of QB prosperity. So if it's NOT JG, then are we rolling into 2017 with Kessler starting while a rookie we draft learns? I guess it's possible the new rookie beats Cody out, but I wouldn't count on it. Again, not exactly making me excited. So I guess my point is....who the hell is going to start for us? lol

    Edit: So if we're accumulating draft picks, and we're not getting JG, then could there be another QB we want to trade for? Everyone wants to link Kirk Cousins to San Fran, but what about him coming to us? We ship a bunch of picks to Washington and I'm sure they'd think about it, right? What really hurts is Benjamin Alabrecht recently reported that Kyle Shanahan fought hard for the Browns to trade for Cousins while he was with us. The price? A fourth round pick, and we wouldn't do it. Ouch.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by hoorta

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Everything I'm reading says we're not getting JG from Pats. Is that true? Obviously we have no idea, but it'd be nice if there was SOMETHING cooking regarding our acquisition of this guy. As it stands now, we have released RG III, we traded for Brock who we're looking to dump, and Josh McCown is gone as well. So right now we have Cody Kessler and Kevin Hogan on the roster. Not exactly the shining example of QB prosperity. So if it's NOT JG, then are we rolling into 2017 with Kessler starting while a rookie we draft learns? I guess it's possible the new rookie beats Cody out, but I wouldn't count on it. Again, not exactly making me excited. So I guess my point is....who the hell is going to start for us? lol

    The answer to your question is yes, we can certainly roll with Kessler this year, or you notice the Browns invested heavily in building a bulletproof cockpit for whoever starts? Draft the QBOTF and let him sit- like the Rams did with Goff. Anyone who thinks you draft a qb in round one, and he has to start day one hasn't been paying attention. Wentz wouldn't have started either except for injuries.

    To an extent I can see why some of the posters here have fallen into the Jimmy love affair trap, though reason (on past performance of departed New England backups) (limited resume- Scott Mitchell anyone?) and logic (if Garropolo is a true franchise qb, why is Bill shopping him when Brady turns 40 this year) should give anyone pause to think about it. As far as something cooking,did anyone see the Osweiler trade coming before it happened? When I first heard about it, I thought it was an April Fools joke a few weeks early.

    Or see my above post- short of the Browns having an unexpected great season- they have enough draft capital in 2018 to draft darn near any qb they have a fancy for.