Skip to content

Watson Undraftable

The Browns Board
145 29 4.7k
  • I couldn't draft any QB high in round 1. If we grab one in the 1st, trade up from 33 to maybe 25.

    @ballpeen said:

    I couldn't draft any QB high in round 1. If we grab one in the 1st, trade up from 33 to maybe 25.

    I hear ya Ballpeen.

  • @flugel said:

    I'm with you on Webb and the college QB record thing (ie Steve Walsh, Matt Leinart, Andre Ware, David Klingler, RG3, VY).

    My whole context of Watson has never involved round 1 as much as it's been keeping an open mind about Watson if we draft him after that as early as round 2. If he's Blake Bortle'd up to round 1 - it better be an ideal situation and Cleveland is not it. No different than how I feel with Trubisky, it's just that he has some fans in here that want to go to battle against anyone that doesn't see him as a first round pick here.

    Tom, I wish you wouldn't take that as "battling". I'll fully agree after the velocity issue came out I would drop Watson to day three. Others have pointed out what they don't like about him, so I'm not going to repeat that stuff. LOL, from the other side of the fence, it sure looks like you're defending Watson to the death, and now well- he's not first round material. Gee, I happen to agree. If you don't see Trubisky as first round material that's fine, plenty of others do.

    Whether or not Mitch is worthy of the #12 (or a trade up) isn't something I'm going to decide. I hope you noticed I've change my mind, and gone with the majority opinion Garrett is the guy we should draft @ #1. As I've said, the NFL has a first round grade on Trubisky- so do me and Gip. We've put our money where our mouths are too- we have drinks and dinner bets going that he's going to get taken in the top 10. Care to join the naysayers in that bet? Am I going to be brokenhearted if we go all defense in the first round? Hardly.

    That Mitch is a local kid is coloring my judgement- to an extent. If you've noticed, there's several guys here who have seen him since High School and are as convinced as I am that he's the real deal. Sorry, can't help it, I like what I see. I sure was adamant I didn't want anything to do with Ohio kid and boyhood Browns fan Brady Quinn. I'm also on record Toledo native DeShone Kizer is another Quinn just waiting to happen.

    @hoorta said:

    Tom, I wish you wouldn't take that as "battling". I'll fully agree after the velocity issue came out I would drop Watson to day three. Others have pointed out what they don't like about him, so I'm not going to repeat that stuff. LOL, from the other side of the fence, it sure looks like you're defending Watson to the death, and now well- he's not first round material. Gee, I happen to agree. If you don't see Trubisky as first round material that's fine, plenty of others do.

    Whether or not Mitch is worthy of the #12 (or a trade up) isn't something I'm going to decide. I hope you noticed I've change my mind, and gone with the majority opinion Garrett is the guy we should draft @ #1. As I've said, the NFL has a first round grade on Trubisky- so do me and Gip. We've put our money where our mouths are too- we have drinks and dinner bets going that he's going to get taken in the top 10. Care to join the naysayers in that bet? Am I going to be brokenhearted if we go all defense in the first round? Hardly.

    That Mitch is a local kid is coloring my judgement- to an extent. If you've noticed, there's several guys here who have seen him since High School and are as convinced as I am that he's the real deal. Sorry, can't help it, I like what I see. I sure was adamant I didn't want anything to do with Ohio kid and boyhood Browns fan Brady Quinn. I'm also on record Toledo native DeShone Kizer is another Quinn just waiting to happen.

    Larry, we go back a long way. I don't mind that you like Trubisky. Just read/listen to why some people defend other QBs without feeling offended.

    Reality is Atenears went to Mentor High School and he even likes Trubisky but understands Cleveland isn't ready for him as high as #1 or #12 overall. Mud said he is from an adjacent community and as much as he likes Trubisky, he said he is clearly not the answer to all OUR prayers here.

    When we have the #1 or #12 overall pick after finishing 1-15 don't you think I'd love to see the solution at QB on our doorstep?

    I don't want us to take Watson at all. I'm not going to spend the next 3 years like I spent the first 3 years on defending Tim Couch here especially when nobody wants him enough to welcome. The year we clinched the playoffs on the day Holcomb took over for a injured Tim Couch - our home crowd cheered while Couch laid motionless on the field with a neck/shoulder injury. That's what wanting any QB in the first round is signing up for. I don't have enough evidence on any QB to sign up for that.

    As for Watson, I just think people go out of their way to look for weaknesses, Last I heard, he has all the same pre-draft concerns Joe Montana supposedly had. You saw the combines, where did he suck specifically? If he's white, there's no such thing as he can only be RG4. I'm fine with people not wanting him in round 1 any more than I do but some of this criticism is unfounded when Mayock, Jeremiah and Casserly said he has a strong arm at the combines. I agreed as did Tour but??????

    Having said that Dan Fouts looked terrible in wind chills far below zero at Cincy in the post season just like Sipe did against Oakland in similar conditions vrs Oakland at home in Cleveland,which makes remembering the importance of a reliable running game important in a Great Lake state such as Ohio.

  • If this much emphasis is going to be placed on a radar gun reading, the NFL ought to take control of the measurement process.

  • If this much emphasis is going to be placed on a radar gun reading, the NFL ought to take control of the measurement process.

    @tour2ma said:

    If this much emphasis is going to be placed on a radar gun reading, the NFL ought to take control of the measurement process.

    LOL-and I'm still keeping him as my "Dak" pick for this year.

  • He is a gamer. Played agAinst best college defenses and came out with clutch wins when needed.

  • He is a gamer. Played agAinst best college defenses and came out with clutch wins when needed.

    @lbc-mike said:

    He is a gamer. Played agAinst best college defenses and came out with clutch wins when needed.

    Kiper, is that you?

  • @londonbrown said:

    What the fuck is your problem all of a sudden?

    All of a sudden?

  • @londonbrown said:

    What the fuck is your problem all of a sudden?

    All of a sudden?

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    All of a sudden?

    I've spoken to him often on here before without any ill feeling.

  • If this much emphasis is going to be placed on a radar gun reading, the NFL ought to take control of the measurement process.

    @tour2ma said:

    If this much emphasis is going to be placed on a radar gun reading, the NFL ought to take control of the measurement process.

    What makes you think they don't have control over it? Weren't these readings done at the Combine...which is totally NFL controlled?

  • Iirc, it's a timed pass, not radar.

  • He is a gamer. Played agAinst best college defenses and came out with clutch wins when needed.

    @lbc-mike said:

    He is a gamer. Played against best college defenses and came out with clutch wins when needed.

    True enough- how much weight do you want to put on that though?

  • @lbc-mike said:

    He is a gamer. Played against best college defenses and came out with clutch wins when needed.

    True enough- how much weight do you want to put on that though?

    @hoorta said:

    True enough- how much weight do you want to put on that though?

    hard to say...wasn't one of the knocks on Peyton Manning coming out of college was that he couldn't win big games? How did that turn out for everyone?

  • Iirc, it's a timed pass, not radar.

    @choco said:

    Iirc, it's a timed pass, not radar.

    Really? As in thrown thru paired electric eyes?

  • @hoorta said:

    True enough- how much weight do you want to put on that though?

    hard to say...wasn't one of the knocks on Peyton Manning coming out of college was that he couldn't win big games? How did that turn out for everyone?

    @mark-o said:

    hard to say...wasn't one of the knocks on Peyton Manning coming out of college was that he couldn't win big games? How did that turn out for everyone?

    Everyone didn't get a chance to draft him - he still went first overall.

    Manning also succeeded because he's an extremely cerebral quarterback with an NFL QB for a father and an American football supercomputer for a brain. And it doesn't hurt that he's 6'5" and has a decently powerful arm (a general ball velocity in the upper 50's IIRC).

  • @choco said:

    Iirc, it's a timed pass, not radar.

    Really? As in thrown thru paired electric eyes?

    @tour2ma said:

    Really? As in thrown thru paired electric eyes?

    There was some debate, but it appears it is measure via radar according to Outlands.com....Only things I've found so far.
  • @tour2ma said:

    Really? As in thrown thru paired electric eyes?

    There was some debate, but it appears it is measure via radar according to Outlands.com....Only things I've found so far.

    @choco said:

    There was some debate, but it appears it is measure via radar according to Outlands.com....Only things I've found so far.

    Ourlads running the whole show using a Juggs gun was what I read a little bit ago. That was the basis for my comment that the NFL needs to take this over if it's to be "a thing" with any importance attached to it.

    You set up in a smaller space, let the QBs warm up, make five measured, 20-yd throws and publish the raw results... that day.

    The week-long delay between the Combine measurement and publishing the data in a tweet or two makes no sense to me.

  • @mark-o said:

    hard to say...wasn't one of the knocks on Peyton Manning coming out of college was that he couldn't win big games? How did that turn out for everyone?

    Everyone didn't get a chance to draft him - he still went first overall.

    Manning also succeeded because he's an extremely cerebral quarterback with an NFL QB for a father and an American football supercomputer for a brain. And it doesn't hurt that he's 6'5" and has a decently powerful arm (a general ball velocity in the upper 50's IIRC).

    @tim-couch-pulls-out said:

    Everyone didn't get a chance to draft him - he still went first overall.

    Manning also succeeded because he's an extremely cerebral quarterback with an NFL QB for a father and an American football supercomputer for a brain. And it doesn't hurt that he's 6'5" and has a decently powerful arm (a general ball velocity in the upper 50's IIRC).

    I agree with all of that. Just was saying there were still knocks on him coming out for not winning in college.

  • I agree Tour and he's still Dak 2.0. 😁

  • I agree Tour and he's still Dak 2.0. 😁

    @texasag1969 said:

    I agree Tour and he's still Dak 2.0. 😁

    Wah? Watson is Dak 2.0? That kinda rambling will cost you your Dak Fan Club Charter Member status...

  • I still like Trubisky, Watson and Peterman.

    In that order and none of the other guys.