Skip to content

Browns 2017 Prospect Tracker - Final(?) Update Posted

The Browns Board
28 11 1.8k
  • Hue had dinner last night with Derek Barnett, Dalvin Cook and Tak McKinley

    Tonight he's dining with Deshaun Watson and Mike Williams

    If nothing else he's eating like a king at the moment!

  • Albert Breer‏Verified account @AlbertBreer

    As @RapSheet said, FSU RB Dalvin Cook is visiting Browns. Also in Berea today, per source: Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon & Florida CB Quincy Wilson.

  • 21 privates in the books of 30. 20 if Mitch was a freebie. Privates that got a double look with pro day..Myles...Hooker...Mixon...QB's Private with Combine..Watson...Mitch...MaHomes..more RB's than I'd ever think. Maybe that 2nd on Crow is now on the table to trade up to Hooker/Adams?

  • Straight from reddit...

    =========================================================================================

    Updated tracker.

    Might be the final tracker worth posting, as pro days are essentially over by this point, meaning that everything going forward will be prospects coming to Berea, or the Browns visiting them at their home campus.

    Some notes:

    • Kizer, Trubisky, and Watson all have the "x/x" by their name, for the reason that the Browns have conducted both private meetings and private workouts / visits with them. It's probably also worth noting that of all the QBs, Watson and Kizer probably have the most time invested into them, as the Browns did extensive research on both during the season.

    • While it has taken a while, the Browns are finally looking at a number of DBs, and with the names mentioned, its fair to guess that they're planning on taking at least one DB earlier in the draft.

    • TEs remain the hot position for the Browns, as they added David Njoku to their list of visits and checked out Evan Engram at Ole Miss' pro day. Cleveland's going to walk away from this draft with a tight end, it just depends on when.

    • Surprisingly some movement at RB. It's fair to wonder if some of these - Cook, Mixon in particular - are simply the Browns doing their homework, or if there is serious consideration to drafting a RB high in the draft.

    • Interestingly, there's been very little meetings or visits set up with defensive tackles to this point.

    • The Browns have been checking out a lot of players that should be on the board at 12, and then likely a few at 33.

  • Speaking of TE's, in a draft like this with premium defensive talent available throughout the first, and us needing to consider the TE position down the road - I'm shocked Jake Butt hasn't been mentioned more.

    I'm not shy in my praise of this kid. I really do believe when he's back to healthy - can be a difference maker at the next level. I see it as a win - win. We avoid spending a top 15 pick on a TE and use it elsewhere on a player

    that I feel can be every bit as good given time while Barney and Devalve hold it down.

  • I overlooked Jake because of his injury, and the uncertainness of when he will be back, ready to play.

    He isn't the athlete that Howard is, but he is ahead of his rehab, and I admire his love for the game, toughness, football smarts,

    etc etc etc.

    I would be happy if the Browns got him.

    http://www.csnchicago.com/jake-butt-2017-nfl-draft-michigan-top-tight-ends-te

  • Agree... Ideally in Rnd 4, but I suspect he might go in the Rnd 3 Comp-a-thon...

  • thought we might need to bump this with the presser on draft vision..updated private visit list/all as of 4-14..click on Tours 1st post..Here's the link

  • Foster failed a drug test at the combine. Plus him getting shitty with a hospital employee...

    Might get the Dak treatment.

  • Foster failed a drug test at the combine. Plus him getting shitty with a hospital employee...

    Might get the Dak treatment.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Foster failed a drug test at the combine. Plus him getting shitty with a hospital employee...

    Might get the Dak treatment.

    And he will give whatever team drafts him the Dak treatment....

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Foster failed a drug test at the combine. Plus him getting shitty with a hospital employee...

    Might get the Dak treatment.

    And he will give whatever team drafts him the Dak treatment....

    @wargograw said:

    And he will give whatever team drafts him the Dak treatment....

    Provided he stays clean.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Foster failed a drug test at the combine. Plus him getting shitty with a hospital employee...

    Might get the Dak treatment.

    And he will give whatever team drafts him the Dak treatment....

    @wargograw said:

    And he will give whatever team drafts him the Dak treatment....

    Or the JM/JG treatment. As much as I like Foster, for the Browns this is a really big gamble.

  • Or the JM/JG treatment

    Manziel/Garropolo?

  • Or the JM/JG treatment

    Manziel/Garropolo?

    @the-gipper said:

    Or the JM/JG treatment

    Manziel/Garropolo?

    In your dreams. JM and Josh Gordon duo.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Or the JM/JG treatment

    Manziel/Garropolo?

    In your dreams. JM and Josh Gordon duo.

    @texasag1969 said:

    In your dreams. JM and Josh Gordon duo.

    Oh, OK, Gordon. Usually on here we see the JG reference to Garro---Polo. Garro---Polo. Garro---Polo.

    (I wonder if his middle name is Marco?)

  • Who are your BPA that will fill our desperate needs that will improve the team this year?

  • Who are your BPA that will fill our desperate needs that will improve the team this year?

    @lbc-mike said:

    Who are your BPA that will fill our desperate needs that will improve the team this year?

    Me? First, I would be looking for long term improvement, not just immediate improvement. And what is BPA is a whole matter of opinion.

    As I have said in other threads, QB is our biggest need, and a link Tour gave said it is a need on a 10 out of 10 scale.

    The 8-9 out of 10 are OLB, CB/Safeties/DT/DE.

    I am not privy to the Browns own board, so I don't know who they have as the best BPA...and I am not going to guess on it. I just hear rumblings that they all don't agree themselves on that matter.

  • I am hoping that this brain trust is also looking at next years draft class also.

  • Sahsi admitted they had already begun looking at 2018 in his presser.

    Interesting article on the man who is ceo of Amazon, Jeff Bezos. One of his quotes he pushes with his employees is to, "disagree and commit." Basically, you may not agree with the idea but you have to commit as one team to go all in and trust that it is going to work. In this case, I can see this type of scenario in any draft room. There are going to be people who disagree with whom is going to be selected, especially at number one. That is why you have a multitude of scouts pouring over information to gather one collective thought. But as a unit, they have to commit to the player. this is where Farmer and Pettine went horribly wrong. Farmer went ahead and took the player and forced him on Pettine (JM). I think this regime is different. IMOP, this philosophy is going to be utilized. In the end, Sashi has the final say, but from what I can tell from his press conference, they know who the #1 pick is going to be and it's going to be Garrett. These rumors that are coming out are simply that in an effort to discredit this whole regime. I have not seen one minute of Haslam this year and for the last few years he was all over the place. I want to hope, he knows, he needs to stay out of the personnel business on the football side.

  • @wargograw said:

    And he will give whatever team drafts him the Dak treatment....

    Or the JM/JG treatment. As much as I like Foster, for the Browns this is a really big gamble.

    @texasag1969 said:

    Or the JM/JG treatment. As much as I like Foster, for the Browns this is a really big gamble.

    Depends on whether you believe his "dehydration" explanation. The fact that he jumped in front of this story, that he made it public and contacted every team personally to make his case speaks volumes to me. Bit as Louis Reddick (IIRC) said on both NFL insiders and Live yesterday, at this point teams are looking at this "fail" as "confirmation bias"... same as they do any new information on any prospect at this point in the draft prep process. In other words if they were leaning "no", then they are now likely a firm no. But if they were still a firm "yes" after the Combine dust up, then they are likelier to remain a yes pending the results of renewed due diligence.

    One positive for Foster is that several FOs have told Riddick that he has never tested positive for anything at any level. Another is that in general teams have satisfied themselves that the Combine incident had an antagonist on the hospital staff as well. Plus if you add in a physical illness factor on Foster's side of the ledger, it makes his over reaction more understandable. But key here is that any "food poisoning" should have been part of the initial narrative Foster supplied. If it was not, then teams have a legitimate reason to doubt him.

    While I am still pro-Foster at 12, obviously the one thing I can't do is meet with him face-to-face and take a personal measure of his "story". But I will have a opportunity to do the next best thing... see him tell it.

    Foster is scheduled to be on NFL Insiders and NFL Live this Tuesday.

    @bigalow80 said:

    Sahsi admitted they had already begun looking at 2018 in his presser.

    Interesting article on the man who is ceo of Amazon, Jeff Bezos. One of his quotes he pushes with his employees is to, "disagree and commit." Basically, you may not agree with the idea but you have to commit as one team to go all in and trust that it is going to work. In this case, I can see this type of scenario in any draft room. There are going to be people who disagree with whom is going to be selected, especially at number one. That is why you have a multitude of scouts pouring over information to gather one collective thought. But as a unit, they have to commit to the player. this is where Farmer and Pettine went horribly wrong. Farmer went ahead and took the player and forced him on Pettine (JM). I think this regime is different. IMOP, this philosophy is going to be utilized. In the end, Sashi has the final say, but from what I can tell from his press conference, they know who the #1 pick is going to be and it's going to be Garrett. These rumors that are coming out are simply that in an effort to discredit this whole regime. I have not seen one minute of Haslam this year and for the last few years he was all over the place. I want to hope, he knows, he needs to stay out of the personnel business on the football side.

    With the exception of considering players with off-field issues, e.g., Mixon, I agree about Jimmah's role, but where the franchise's image is concerned he has to chime in/buy in.

    Another term for the Bezos approach is "consent". You have to at least be able to live with a decision to commit to making it work.

    In his presser with Berry, Sashi said working on 2018 was one of the benefits of having this FO in place from the beginning of the offseason for the first time. That they have worked the 2018 draft to any extent belies the reported "division" over the 2017 class or at least the extent of any division.