Browns skipping another pro day
-
I think the FO got kudos last year when they not only went to the top QBs pro days, but let their presence be known, butting in with water bottles. It was said here that it was a refreshing change from the Farmer days when pro days were just ignored.
Now it's no big deal again?
Personally I put next to zero stock in these events, but there's something about how skipping them comes across to your fan base. I don't think you can afford to appear apathetic after such a disaster of a season.
I think the issue is we were actually looking at those QBs last year. This year we've already moved on. Who knows.
I think the issue is we were actually looking at those QBs last year. This year we've already moved on. Who knows.
But should we have moved on?
The old saying: If you don't have your quarterback in the NFL, you're looking for him.
Last I checked, we don't have anything close to resembling "our quarterback". We SHOULD be looking for one.
Again, pro days are shite. Scripted BS. But I fail to see how we can laud them one year for participating and then make excuses for them the next when they display an apparent apathy.
-
I think the issue is we were actually looking at those QBs last year. This year we've already moved on. Who knows.
But should we have moved on?
The old saying: If you don't have your quarterback in the NFL, you're looking for him.
Last I checked, we don't have anything close to resembling "our quarterback". We SHOULD be looking for one.
Again, pro days are shite. Scripted BS. But I fail to see how we can laud them one year for participating and then make excuses for them the next when they display an apparent apathy.
But should we have moved on?
The old saying: If you don't have your quarterback in the NFL, you're looking for him.
Last I checked, we don't have anything close to resembling "our quarterback". We SHOULD be looking for one.
Again, pro days are shite. Scripted BS. But I fail to see how we can laud them one year for participating and then make excuses for them the next when they display an apparent apathy.
By this logic you ought to have kept McCown, given Whitehurst a longer tryout, etc. Because apparently it's impossible to ever have a determination on a guy.
-
But should we have moved on?
The old saying: If you don't have your quarterback in the NFL, you're looking for him.
Last I checked, we don't have anything close to resembling "our quarterback". We SHOULD be looking for one.
Again, pro days are shite. Scripted BS. But I fail to see how we can laud them one year for participating and then make excuses for them the next when they display an apparent apathy.
By this logic you ought to have kept McCown, given Whitehurst a longer tryout, etc. Because apparently it's impossible to ever have a determination on a guy.
By this logic you ought to have kept McCown, given Whitehurst a longer tryout, etc. Because apparently it's impossible to ever have a determination on a guy.
Where did I say it was impossible to ever have a determination on a guy? That's not even close to what I said.
-
Color me stupid....but, we 'should' be in the market for a QB of the future. So why aren't we going to their pro days? Are our guys too busy? Is there something pressing they had to do? - Oh, they're scripted. So the player doesn't actually have to THROW the ball. It's osmosisly flying off their hand and to the receiver.
There's NOTHING to learn there? Is that what I'm supposed to believe?
I mean, not even comparing the way they act there as opposed to the way they act at your own work out?
Nothing to learn. Not worth watching at all.
I don't buy it. I think skipping the QB's pro days is dumb.
Color me stupid....but, we 'should' be in the market for a QB of the future. So why aren't we going to their pro days? Are our guys too busy? Is there something pressing they had to do? - Oh, they're scripted. So the player doesn't actually have to THROW the ball. It's osmosisly flying off their hand and to the receiver.
There's NOTHING to learn there? Is that what I'm supposed to believe?
I mean, not even comparing the way they act there as opposed to the way they act at your own work out?
Nothing to learn. Not worth watching at all.
I don't buy it. I think skipping the QB's pro days is dumb.
Well, again, I think the Browns WERE there, just not Sachi...who is not a talent evaluator, nor Hue....who may be the one that wants to put more emphasis on the film, the interviews, the combine, the one on one. That just seems to be the kind of guy he is.....one that does not really want to deal with the meat market. Maybe Andrew Berry or some other top scout was in attendance.
Has anyone heard about that?
-
We can have a private workout with these dudes any time we want. We have #1, #12 and boatloads of picks and cash ... No one is saying No to us.
Zombo
Zombo said:
We can have a private workout with these dudes any time we want. We have #1, #12 and boatloads of picks and cash ... No one is saying No to us.
Thirty max and you can't "work them out"... mental work and testing, physicals are all that's permitted.
That said, I agree with Unsym... generally a waste of Hue's time and definitely Sashi's. Travel to some campuses can require up to two nites' stay. Let the scouts do their jobs... confirming or refuting current impressions, which are theirs to begin with.
Private invites should be reserved for those prospects you are either on the fence about or whose heads you really need to get into... QBs... anyone you are contemplating spending a Day 1 or 2 pick upon.
-
Zombo said:
We can have a private workout with these dudes any time we want. We have #1, #12 and boatloads of picks and cash ... No one is saying No to us.
Thirty max and you can't "work them out"... mental work and testing, physicals are all that's permitted.
That said, I agree with Unsym... generally a waste of Hue's time and definitely Sashi's. Travel to some campuses can require up to two nites' stay. Let the scouts do their jobs... confirming or refuting current impressions, which are theirs to begin with.
Private invites should be reserved for those prospects you are either on the fence about or whose heads you really need to get into... QBs... anyone you are contemplating spending a Day 1 or 2 pick upon.
Thirty max and you can't "work them out"... mental work and testing, physicals are all that's permitted.
That said, I agree with Unsym... generally a waste of Hue's time and definitely Sashi's. Travel to some campuses can require up to two nites' stay. Let the scouts do their jobs... confirming or refuting current impressions, which are theirs to begin with.
Private invites should be reserved for those prospects you are either on the fence about or whose heads you really need to get into... QBs... anyone you are contemplating spending a Day 1 or 2 pick upon.
If you can't work them out, then why do they call them "private workouts". Why do they say: " the teams can put them through the paces they choose, not the ones the player chooses". "they can have the QB throw to their passing tree, not to the one chosen by the players". These are all comments I have heard over the last few days on TV/Radio, including the ESPN talking heads.
But now you say they can only do "mental work and physicals"? WTF is up with that?
-
Color me stupid....but, we 'should' be in the market for a QB of the future. So why aren't we going to their pro days? Are our guys too busy? Is there something pressing they had to do? - Oh, they're scripted. So the player doesn't actually have to THROW the ball. It's osmosisly flying off their hand and to the receiver.
There's NOTHING to learn there? Is that what I'm supposed to believe?
I mean, not even comparing the way they act there as opposed to the way they act at your own work out?
Nothing to learn. Not worth watching at all.
I don't buy it. I think skipping the QB's pro days is dumb.
Well, again, I think the Browns WERE there, just not Sachi...who is not a talent evaluator, nor Hue....who may be the one that wants to put more emphasis on the film, the interviews, the combine, the one on one. That just seems to be the kind of guy he is.....one that does not really want to deal with the meat market. Maybe Andrew Berry or some other top scout was in attendance.
Has anyone heard about that?
Maybe Andrew Berry or some other top scout was in attendance.
Has anyone heard about that?
Berry was at Watson's pro day.
People touted Hue as a QB guru of some sort (why, I have no idea)...and there's no need for him to go?
It just seems to me to be 'part of the job'.
-
Maybe Andrew Berry or some other top scout was in attendance.
Has anyone heard about that?
Berry was at Watson's pro day.
People touted Hue as a QB guru of some sort (why, I have no idea)...and there's no need for him to go?
It just seems to me to be 'part of the job'.
Berry was at Watson's pro day.
People touted Hue as a QB guru of some sort (why, I have no idea)...and there's no need for him to go?
It just seems to me to be 'part of the job'.
Haven't you heard. Gurus can exercise out of body experiences. Maybe Hue's essence and aura was there without having to take his physical body there.
-
Maybe Andrew Berry or some other top scout was in attendance.
Has anyone heard about that?
Berry was at Watson's pro day.
People touted Hue as a QB guru of some sort (why, I have no idea)...and there's no need for him to go?
It just seems to me to be 'part of the job'.
-
Maybe Andrew Berry or some other top scout was in attendance.
Has anyone heard about that?
Berry was at Watson's pro day.
People touted Hue as a QB guru of some sort (why, I have no idea)...and there's no need for him to go?
It just seems to me to be 'part of the job'.
-
Are the skill sets of "guru (teacher)" the same as those of an evaluator?
I would think that good teachers would probably be pretty good evaluators, yes.
I would like to ask just why Hue was touted as being so great with QB's?
Is it because he had QB's on the team when he was the HC of the Raiders?
Because he had QB's on the team when he was the OC of the Bengals?
As I recall, his Dalton finished a game against us with a QB rating of two. (2)
He brought in RG3 and was quite excited about having him.
He told us to Trust Him on the Kessler pick...and then pulls him at halftime in a game that the kid was doing pretty well....and he never really gave him back the job. And right up until they traded for The Ostrich Hue was saying how he knew that he had to find us a QB (as if he didn't trust his Kessler pick AT ALL).
OK....I'm just ranting here...it's late...I just got back from band rehearsal....
Again...I just think that if you're uncertain about your team's QB position...and you've got the #1 and #12 picks in the draft (not to mention our two 2nd round picks)....then you should be scoping out each of the top QB's....using every tool they give you.
Fuck it. Just let the homeless guy make the pick.
-
By this logic you ought to have kept McCown, given Whitehurst a longer tryout, etc. Because apparently it's impossible to ever have a determination on a guy.
Where did I say it was impossible to ever have a determination on a guy? That's not even close to what I said.
Where did I say it was impossible to ever have a determination on a guy? That's not even close to what I said.
Yes it is. I said maybe they didn't go because they KNOW they don't want him. You basically said they should go anyway.
-
Jesus this is ridiculous. They're going to work him out privately there's wasn't a single HC at MT's pro day that tells you all you need to know about the stock they put in it.
Browns had two people there according to local media on twitter.
-
Jesus this is ridiculous. They're going to work him out privately there's wasn't a single HC at MT's pro day that tells you all you need to know about the stock they put in it.
Browns had two people there according to local media on twitter.
Browns had two people there according to local media on twitter.
GM John Lynch of 49'ers was there..Not sure that their Cousins plan can wait another 1-2 years in the bay or the Skins get the deal done before Camp? Either way, with the media's help. Cousins buddy Shanny has drove Cousins price tag up again. Maybe Pryor should look up Cousins agent
-
Jesus this is ridiculous. They're going to work him out privately there's wasn't a single HC at MT's pro day that tells you all you need to know about the stock they put in it.
Browns had two people there according to local media on twitter.
Least one of y'all get it...Ty! We had 2 scouts in attendance, but somehow hue and sashi are supposed to be in 3 places at once. ?Jesus this is ridiculous. They're going to work him out privately there's wasn't a single HC at MT's pro day that tells you all you need to know about the stock they put in it.
Browns had two people there according to local media on twitter.
Not a single HC at lil Mitch's pro day...Only 1 GM...And yet the locals are up in arms again.
People just need to bitch about something.
-
I don't care about missing pro days. We already know how these guys throw the ball, and so does everyone else. If they COULDN'T throw the ball in scripted conditions, they wouldn't be starting QB's in division 1. The private workouts will be infinitely more important, and that's where we'll really get to dive into what these guys can do. I have to say, I'm liking how Mitch throws the ball. I like the quick release and good anticipation. He appears to throw people open, and the ball definitely gets there.
By most accounts, Watson wasn't too impressive at the combine and his pro day. I worry that Watson could be a case of "dissecting a player too much", and not just looking at the results. Like, are people looking too closely at his faults and not hard enough at what the cat can do? Is Watson a "gamer" and somebody that knows what to do with the ball when it counts, but just doesn't look great doing it in practice? I keep going back to Russell Wilson. I was screaming to draft this guy in the first round, and people thought I was crazy. He was too short, and we every team let him go past two entire rounds (I think...wasn't he an early 3rd rounder? Maybe I'm wrong). Regardless, if you ever WATCHED Russell play, you KNEW he could play. He was a leader, a playmaker, a guy that was respected. Yet he was picked apart by all of the experts, and he slid down a bit. He instantly beat out Matt Flynn, and the rest is history. Is Watson such a guy?
I still don't think much of this matters, as we're going to have Jimmy Garoppolo in about one week. The big owner's meeting is Sunday in Phoenix, and apparently a TON of NFL business gets done during that time. We're going to make the Patriots a deal they can't refuse, and they will gladly part ways with their backup QB. Just a fair warning, I want all Browns fans to be ready for the NFL backlash. There's going to be a ton of articles saying things like, "Patriots played the Browns perfectly!" "Another example of the Patriots owning the NFL!" and lord knows what else. But here's the thing: If we get JG, there's a good chance we have a real starting QB. I know many people aren't sold on the guy because he hasn't thrown that many passes AND he's been injured, but I like him. I think our coaching staff loves him. And I think he's far and away a much stronger QB candidate than ANYBODY in this draft.
Could I be wrong? Of course, there are no guarantees. We may HAVE to draft a QB and roll with Cody this year. But I don't think so...I think Garoppolo is coming to Cleveland within the next 7-10 days.
-
I don't care about missing pro days. We already know how these guys throw the ball, and so does everyone else. If they COULDN'T throw the ball in scripted conditions, they wouldn't be starting QB's in division 1. The private workouts will be infinitely more important, and that's where we'll really get to dive into what these guys can do. I have to say, I'm liking how Mitch throws the ball. I like the quick release and good anticipation. He appears to throw people open, and the ball definitely gets there.
By most accounts, Watson wasn't too impressive at the combine and his pro day. I worry that Watson could be a case of "dissecting a player too much", and not just looking at the results. Like, are people looking too closely at his faults and not hard enough at what the cat can do? Is Watson a "gamer" and somebody that knows what to do with the ball when it counts, but just doesn't look great doing it in practice? I keep going back to Russell Wilson. I was screaming to draft this guy in the first round, and people thought I was crazy. He was too short, and we every team let him go past two entire rounds (I think...wasn't he an early 3rd rounder? Maybe I'm wrong). Regardless, if you ever WATCHED Russell play, you KNEW he could play. He was a leader, a playmaker, a guy that was respected. Yet he was picked apart by all of the experts, and he slid down a bit. He instantly beat out Matt Flynn, and the rest is history. Is Watson such a guy?
I still don't think much of this matters, as we're going to have Jimmy Garoppolo in about one week. The big owner's meeting is Sunday in Phoenix, and apparently a TON of NFL business gets done during that time. We're going to make the Patriots a deal they can't refuse, and they will gladly part ways with their backup QB. Just a fair warning, I want all Browns fans to be ready for the NFL backlash. There's going to be a ton of articles saying things like, "Patriots played the Browns perfectly!" "Another example of the Patriots owning the NFL!" and lord knows what else. But here's the thing: If we get JG, there's a good chance we have a real starting QB. I know many people aren't sold on the guy because he hasn't thrown that many passes AND he's been injured, but I like him. I think our coaching staff loves him. And I think he's far and away a much stronger QB candidate than ANYBODY in this draft.
Could I be wrong? Of course, there are no guarantees. We may HAVE to draft a QB and roll with Cody this year. But I don't think so...I think Garoppolo is coming to Cleveland within the next 7-10 days.
I think Garoppolo is coming to Cleveland within the next 7-10 days.
Hopefully not for the #1 pick, a twitter rumour that appeared from someone that gets info on the Browns from time to time.
-
Browns value private workouts over pro days
-
I think Garoppolo is coming to Cleveland within the next 7-10 days.
Hopefully not for the #1 pick, a twitter rumour that appeared from someone that gets info on the Browns from time to time.
Hopefully not for the #1 pick, a twitter rumour that appeared from someone that gets info on the Browns from time to time.
I know...that scares the death out of me. Problem is, if we ACTUALLY found our "franchise QB", the price is worth anything. Literally anything. Imagine this: Say the price of Garoppolo truly is the freaking #1 pick, but the Browns say, "Get lost." The Patriots don't trade JG, and he backs up Brady all season. Suppose Garoppolo hits the free agent market in 2018, signs with a team, and plays well. Not "balls out awesome" or anything, but plays well enough to warrant being a starter without doubt. It would be DISASTROUS for the Browns. We let another QB slip through our fingers. Can you IMAGINE the backlash? Sure, we'd draft a QB in 2017, but we all know that rookies aren't sure things, and this rookie class is weaker than most. If we don't pay the price for JG, he turns out to be good, and our draft pick doesn't....we're firing Hue Jackson, our front office, and we're once again back at square zero. I know it seems apocalyptic, but am I wrong?
Listen, I'm NOT saying I want to trade the FREAKING #1 PICK for a backup QB. Lord knows I don't want to. But Jesus...we need to figure this position out. And I don't see a rookie or Cody Kessler being the answer right now.
Ok, now back to REALITY. The Patriots don't have a first or second round pick. We know this. They might be shrewd business people in New England, but they aren't going to demand the #1 overall pick. That's ridiculous. The Browns have a litany of early draft picks, and we can put together a deal that will benefit BOTH teams. I honestly don't think the #1 pick even factors into it.
-
Jesus this is ridiculous. They're going to work him out privately there's wasn't a single HC at MT's pro day that tells you all you need to know about the stock they put in it.
Browns had two people there according to local media on twitter.
Jesus this is ridiculous. They're going to work him out privately there's wasn't a single HC at MT's pro day that tells you all you need to know about the stock they put in it.
Again... you cannot "workout" draft prospects during their visits. This is not a UFA coming in to make the earth move...
What you can do is lift the lid and see what's going on under there, if anything. That is where the significant questions are about any of the QB prospects in this, or any other, draft class.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login