Browns "BPA" Draft
-
Traffic in Dallas is great compared to Austin and Houston. Great city.
You may be right. Austin has become awful. And I suspect the same about Houston, though the last couple of times I went through there I was able to avoid rush hour, so I made it through pretty well both times with no tie-ups. I just see very little in Dallas that is of any real interest. The most interesting place is the assassination location, and boy, if that is the best thing you got going for you...well, that kind of tells it all.
You may be right. Austin has become awful. And I suspect the same about Houston, though the last couple of times I went through there I was able to avoid rush hour, so I made it through pretty well both times with no tie-ups. I just see very little in Dallas that is of any real interest. The most interesting place is the assassination location, and boy, if that is the best thing you got going for you...well, that kind of tells it all.
Houston traffic is bad but at least they're generally on top of infrastructure development. Austin is, pretty much as a rule, about 10 years behind.
-
Best thing in DFW is actually the Kimbell Museum in Ft. Worth. They bring in world class artworks on a regular basis.
Best thing in DFW is actually the Kimbell Museum in Ft. Worth. They bring in world class artworks on a regular basis.
Haven't been there, it the modern art museum of Fort Worth was a lot of fun. That giant cone made out of huge slabs of iron is pretty surreal.
-
How long until Arlington demands equal billing???
DAFW or Destruction!
I've spent a lot more time in Houston, lived there from '74 - '07 It is cosmopolitan as hell. Could be that I've simply not spent enough time in Dallas to overcome my stereotypical bias.
I friggin love Austin. It still has "charm"... "quaintness". If you learn the back-ways within the city, traffic can be tolerable. But if you are commuting from one of the neighboring bedroom communities, then you are basically screwed.
My college bud retired from Wisconsin to Georgetown, TX... NNE of Austin proper. Original intent was to be near enough to drive in for dinners, shows, etc., but traffic has all but killed that idea.
-
You may be right. Austin has become awful. And I suspect the same about Houston, though the last couple of times I went through there I was able to avoid rush hour, so I made it through pretty well both times with no tie-ups. I just see very little in Dallas that is of any real interest. The most interesting place is the assassination location, and boy, if that is the best thing you got going for you...well, that kind of tells it all.
Houston traffic is bad but at least they're generally on top of infrastructure development. Austin is, pretty much as a rule, about 10 years behind.
Houston traffic is bad but at least they're generally on top of infrastructure development. Austin is, pretty much as a rule, about 10 years behind.
Yep, been caught in major tie ups on I-35...and that was not even at rush hour. I scrambled out of there to get to SA and took a highway west of there, even if it meant having to out of my way. Went down 281 instead.
-
How long until Arlington demands equal billing???
DAFW or Destruction!
I've spent a lot more time in Houston, lived there from '74 - '07 It is cosmopolitan as hell. Could be that I've simply not spent enough time in Dallas to overcome my stereotypical bias.
I friggin love Austin. It still has "charm"... "quaintness". If you learn the back-ways within the city, traffic can be tolerable. But if you are commuting from one of the neighboring bedroom communities, then you are basically screwed.
My college bud retired from Wisconsin to Georgetown, TX... NNE of Austin proper. Original intent was to be near enough to drive in for dinners, shows, etc., but traffic has all but killed that idea.
How long until Arlington demands equal billing???
DAFW or Destruction!
I've spent a lot more time in Houston, lived there from '74 - '07 It is cosmopolitan as hell. Could be that I've simply not spent enough time in Dallas to overcome my stereotypical bias.
I friggin love Austin. It still has "charm"... "quaintness". If you learn the back-ways within the city, traffic can be tolerable. But if you are commuting from one of the neighboring bedroom communities, then you are basically screwed.
My college bud retired from Wisconsin to Georgetown, TX... NNE of Austin proper. Original intent was to be near enough to drive in for dinners, shows, etc., but traffic has all but killed that idea.
So were you in Georgetown on that recent trip? Gumbo's on the square, Wildfire just off the square and Dos Salsas just a few blocks over on University. All excellent eateries.
-
How long until Arlington demands equal billing???
DAFW or Destruction!
I've spent a lot more time in Houston, lived there from '74 - '07 It is cosmopolitan as hell. Could be that I've simply not spent enough time in Dallas to overcome my stereotypical bias.
I friggin love Austin. It still has "charm"... "quaintness". If you learn the back-ways within the city, traffic can be tolerable. But if you are commuting from one of the neighboring bedroom communities, then you are basically screwed.
My college bud retired from Wisconsin to Georgetown, TX... NNE of Austin proper. Original intent was to be near enough to drive in for dinners, shows, etc., but traffic has all but killed that idea.
So were you in Georgetown on that recent trip? Gumbo's on the square, Wildfire just off the square and Dos Salsas just a few blocks over on University. All excellent eateries.
So were you in Georgetown on that recent trip? Gumbo's on the square, Wildfire just off the square and Dos Salsas just a few blocks over on University. All excellent eateries.
No... not that time. My bud came into Austin for the evening. Will see if he knows the above next trip...
-
So were you in Georgetown on that recent trip? Gumbo's on the square, Wildfire just off the square and Dos Salsas just a few blocks over on University. All excellent eateries.
No... not that time. My bud came into Austin for the evening. Will see if he knows the above next trip...
-
How do you guys remember all these meals and where you had them??
Impressive !
-
How do you guys remember all these meals and where you had them??
Impressive !
How do you guys remember all these meals and where you had them??
Impressive !
I remember a few memorable meals. The BEST steak I ever had was at a place called The Texas Club in Ruidoso New Mex. I remember that.
Just last week I had some great Kansas City BBQ at Joe's BBQ.
I once ate at the Tavern on the Green in Central Park. (don't remember the meal so much...just the location)
I also remember the worst meal I ever had, and that happened 43 years ago. I don't recall the restaurant's name,...it was in Bar Harbor, Maine, but I had a huge plate of steamed clams....and then spent two days in the hospital afterwards attached to all kinds of IVs.
-
I've been there and I have been to Shiloh where my great, great uncle was shot thru both legs as a member of the 8th Texas Rangers Cav unit and left for dead. He was taken to the first ever MASH unit on the battlefield and his life was saved by Union surgeons without removing legs since the bullet did not hit bone. He was eventually exchanged at Vicksburg and made his way back to Austin. Interesting stuff huh?
Yes, it is...
Can't explain it but get a very weird vibe off of some Civil War battlefields. Gettysberg, twice as a kid and again as an adult, but they were nothing compared to two I had driving through Manasas Battlefield Park going Dulles to DC and back on a business trip. And on the way to DC I'd never noticed I was driving by it.
Maybe the Buddists are onto something???
Dallas is absolutely the south. The crown jewel of it in fact.
Don't know about that "crown jewel thing (*cough* Charleston, SC *cough*), but Dallas is a helluva lot more "southern" than Houston.
Both were barely 30-yo when the Civil War broke out.
Yes, it is...
Can't explain it but get a very weird vibe off of some Civil War battlefields. Gettysberg, twice as a kid and again as an adult, but they were nothing compared to two I had driving through Manasas Battlefield Park going Dulles to DC and back on a business trip. And on the way to DC I'd never noticed I was driving by it.
Maybe the Buddists are onto something???
Don't know about that "crown jewel thing (*cough* Charleston, SC *cough*), but Dallas is a helluva lot more "southern" than Houston.
Both were barely 30-yo when the Civil War broke out.
Savannah perhaps more than Charleston. Both nice, charming.
-
How do you guys remember all these meals and where you had them??
Impressive !
How do you guys remember all these meals and where you had them?? Impressive !
Because we have food in the States worth remembering?

I've had great meals in Britain... but they were all "foreign foods".
London included:
- a great Italian place (name may come) that was very hard to get into.
- Geales... a wonderful, french-leaning seafood place in Notting Hill.
- Rostiserie Jules... chicken to die for and you fetched your drinks from the Pub next door.
One of the best surprises was a little falafel takeaway near Hyde park... made a picnic out of it with the wife.
Somewhere around Coventry... no idea where as we were already lit from happy hour at the in-house Pub in our U. Warwick lodgings... had one of my best "Curry House" experiences ever. Wait staff was in full India regalia... no utensils just Nan with which to scoop the best Lamb Tika I've ever tasted. No idea the name... too... "happy"...
Also not remembering the name of the Italian place... dammit...
-
I had no idea you'd travelled England so much tour!
The falafel place near Hyde Park was probably on Edgware Road, its a kind of Lebanese district of London.
-
I had no idea you'd travelled England so much tour!
The falafel place near Hyde Park was probably on Edgware Road, its a kind of Lebanese district of London.
I had no idea you'd travelled England so much tour!
Six trips over a 1-1/2 year period doing course work in a Management Development course my then employer, Zeneca later AstraZeneca, developed with Warwick. We were the first class to include Swedes from Astra Pharmaceuticals.
Yes, they were blond, except for one guy, and even a couple of the women could drink the Brits under the table.Also took a private trip with my then significant other to UK. I know I took her to Geales, and we found the falafel house and picnicked in the Park. We toured the low, mid and highlands. The latter with a fast, Scottish friend I made in the course, who toured us through his highlands including a stop in Applecross where my significant other became my fiancee.
Ate some fantastic prawns in Applecross BTW... at the Applecross Inn. A sweet Pub with a full restaurant and maybe a dozen rooms upstairs... very quiet... very quaint. Wonderfully inaccessible, too, with a winding, one-lane road across a mountain immediately to the south. Followed a road north one afternoon until it disappeared...

-
Excellent buttermilk pie and good "Cafe" food can be found @ Dahlia's in Liberty Hill Tour barely off Texas Hy 29, including that chicken fried steak. I stay away as often as possible so I can outlive my heart attack to be.

-
Excellent buttermilk pie and good "Cafe" food can be found @ Dahlia's in Liberty Hill Tour barely off Texas Hy 29, including that chicken fried steak. I stay away as often as possible so I can outlive my heart attack to be.

Excellent buttermilk pie and good "Cafe" food can be found @ Dahlia's in Liberty Hill Tour barely off Texas Hy 29, including that chicken fried steak. I stay away as often as possible so I can outlive my heart attack to be.

It ain't the CFS, pardner... it's all that good, country gravy...
Fortunately the mandatory side of greenbeans* counteract the gravy.
________________________________________________________
* boiled with bacon
-
I had no idea you'd travelled England so much tour!
Six trips over a 1-1/2 year period doing course work in a Management Development course my then employer, Zeneca later AstraZeneca, developed with Warwick. We were the first class to include Swedes from Astra Pharmaceuticals.
Yes, they were blond, except for one guy, and even a couple of the women could drink the Brits under the table.Also took a private trip with my then significant other to UK. I know I took her to Geales, and we found the falafel house and picnicked in the Park. We toured the low, mid and highlands. The latter with a fast, Scottish friend I made in the course, who toured us through his highlands including a stop in Applecross where my significant other became my fiancee.
Ate some fantastic prawns in Applecross BTW... at the Applecross Inn. A sweet Pub with a full restaurant and maybe a dozen rooms upstairs... very quiet... very quaint. Wonderfully inaccessible, too, with a winding, one-lane road across a mountain immediately to the south. Followed a road north one afternoon until it disappeared...

Six trips over a 1-1/2 year period ....
My brother lived in Bath for several years, which opened the opportunity(and interest) to visit annually.....which was something I previously had little interest in.....and NOW, possibly my favorite long distance destination....
And, being someone who typically hates urban living and large cities....London has to be one of the greatest places Ive ever visited......and a large city I would love to live in....
BUT......the one thing that sticks with me about all my UK travels.....was the food........
As a general rule......blech

-
Six trips over a 1-1/2 year period ....
My brother lived in Bath for several years, which opened the opportunity(and interest) to visit annually.....which was something I previously had little interest in.....and NOW, possibly my favorite long distance destination....
And, being someone who typically hates urban living and large cities....London has to be one of the greatest places Ive ever visited......and a large city I would love to live in....
BUT......the one thing that sticks with me about all my UK travels.....was the food........
As a general rule......blech

My brother lived in Bath for several years, which opened the opportunity(and interest) to visit annually.....which was something I previously had little interest in.....and NOW, possibly my favorite long distance destination....
And, being someone who typically hates urban living and large cities....London has to be one of the greatest places Ive ever visited......and a large city I would love to live in....
BUT......the one thing that sticks with me about all my UK travels.....was the food........
As a general rule......blech

Bath? Hometown of Jeffrey Dahmer?
Here...you might be able to buy his house that he grew up in. It was only the site of his very first murder:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4480-W-Bath-Rd-Akron-OH-44333/35327735_zpid/
As for English food....stick with the fish and chips and you will be fine.
-
My brother lived in Bath for several years, which opened the opportunity(and interest) to visit annually.....which was something I previously had little interest in.....and NOW, possibly my favorite long distance destination....
And, being someone who typically hates urban living and large cities....London has to be one of the greatest places Ive ever visited......and a large city I would love to live in....
BUT......the one thing that sticks with me about all my UK travels.....was the food........
As a general rule......blech

Bath? Hometown of Jeffrey Dahmer?
Here...you might be able to buy his house that he grew up in. It was only the site of his very first murder:
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/4480-W-Bath-Rd-Akron-OH-44333/35327735_zpid/
As for English food....stick with the fish and chips and you will be fine.
As for English food....stick with the fish and chips and you will be fine.Just take the Chunnel and make your way to Paris. Now that is a city I could live in. Great food and sidewalk cafes, plenty of great art and the metro can take you anywhere.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
