Skip to content

Forget the Mocks, Post Your Draft Board...

The Browns Board
54 10 1.9k
  • 1a - Myles Garrett

    1b - There isn't one. I'm not having the discussion. This is the one pick where literally NOBODY can steal our selection.

    1/2a - Reuben Foster. If his shoulder checks out, he's the guy I want. Linebacker isn't a position of need, but I want to give Gregg Williams the most ammo possible. I want a DOMINANT defense. I want "The Dawg Pound" back.

    1/2b - Malik Hooker. He's actually my first choice, but since I don't think there's ANY chance he'll be there, I put him here.

    1/21c - Marshon Lattimore, or whichever cornerback we rate the highest. Again, I want a smothering, devastating, kick-your-ass defense. My first three players have a very low chance of being available, but we'll see.

    1/2d - Hassan Reddick. My first curveball, and somebody who is gaining steam. A versatile, nasty defender, and somebody Gregg Williams can play with. I think he'd fit in perfectly with Gregg's amorphous scheme.

    1/2e - OJ Howard. If all of my defensive players are gone, and that's a real possibility, we should look for an immediate impact player on offense. Howard steps in day 1 and scares people. Just what we need.

    1/2f - Corey Davis. A highly productive, physical specimen who would provide a nice target for our QB. Has the physique of a grown-ass man.

    2/1a - Budda Baker. We are desperate for a safety, and probably aren't able to get one of the blue-chip prospects early.

    2/1b - Kevin King. CB from the same school as Baker. A position of need, and a nice prospect.

    2/1c - Tra'Davious White. Another CB...see a trend with this pick?

    2/1d - Obi Melifonwu. He's listed here because I don't think he'll be available, but he's a fantastic safety prospect that MIGHT just be there.

    2/1e - One of my first four picks will be there, but here's another curveball: RB Joe Mixon. Not a position of need, but Mixon is a special talent who could take some pressure off our QB.

    2/2a - If we get a corner or safety with our first 2nd rounder, then we get our QB here. One of the top 4 or 5 QB's will slide. Happens every time. We pounce on it. Might have to trade up, but not far.

    2/2b - If all QB's are somehow gone, then this pick greatly depends on what we've already been able to acquire. How about Dion Dawkins, G/OT from Temple? Bitonio has injury concerns, and I like OL depth.

  • Vive la difference!

    I'll add (repeat) that Dawkins has good potential to be a OG/OT, 2-position player.

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Trubs is in play at 1b on my list as well.

    Effectively he can be there for me as well except all the 1b players have to be gone... as does Watson, who I finally settled upon as my top QB.

    @tour2ma said:

    Effectively he can be there for me as well except all the 1b players have to be gone... as does Watson, who I finally settled upon as my top QB.

    Aaaaaand there it is. The eventual QB split that happens every year between us.

  • @tour2ma said:

    Effectively he can be there for me as well except all the 1b players have to be gone... as does Watson, who I finally settled upon as my top QB.

    Aaaaaand there it is. The eventual QB split that happens every year between us.

    @tiamat63 said:

    Aaaaaand there it is. The eventual QB split that happens every year between us.

    lol... well, traditions ain't traditions for nuttin'...

  • @tiamat63 said:

    Aaaaaand there it is. The eventual QB split that happens every year between us.

    lol... well, traditions ain't traditions for nuttin'...

    @tour2ma said:

    lol... well, traditions ain't traditions for nuttin'...

    I thought we had something this year. Something special going.

    Alas, I await next Spring when we may reconcile.

  • lol... think of it this way, tia.

    We consistently collectively double our chances of one of us being correct...

  • Grouped by certainty of talent translating to NFL. Ordered within groups (clusters) by combination of need, positional impact and viable later options.

    In rounds where we have multiple picks well spread across the round, two sub-groupings are created.

    Cusps are inserted between each round for prospects that could rise:

    • in the event of a run on a position in the higher of the two rounds, or
    • if the lower cluster's prospects, in the higher round, are all off the board and no acceptable trade down offers are received.

    My Board

    1a: Myles Garrett (DE)

    1b: J. Adams (SS), S. Thomas (DE), J. Allen (DT), R. Foster (ILB), M. Lattimore (CB), M. Hooker (FS), OJ Howard (TE), H. Reddick (OLB)

    1/2 Cusp: D. Watson (QB), M. Trubisky (QB),

    2a: M. Williams (FS), C. Gonley (CB), Z. Cunningham (OLB), C. Awuzie (CB), K. King (CB/FS) T. Watt (OLB), F. Lamp (OG/OT)

    2b: J. Jones (SS), A. Jackson (CB), B. Baker (FS), T. Bowser (OLB), R. McMillan (ILB), D. Dawkins (OG/OT)

    2/3: S. Jones (CB), C. Brantley (DT),L. Ogunjobi (DT), C. Godwin (WR), E. Jackson (SS)

    3: J. Butt (TE), A. Shaheen (TE), M. Adams (DT), A. Anzalone (OLB), A. Garcia (OT), D. King (FS)

    3/4: T. Taylor (WR), M. Maye (FS), J. Leggett (TE),

    4. N. Peterman (QB), A Walker, Jr. (ILB), S. Griffin (CB), H. Wilson (CB), C. Watkins (DT), Ja. Williams (RB), G. Kittle (TE), M. Mack (RB)

    4/5: S. Perrine (RB), R. Glasgow (DT), E. Vanderdoes (DT)

    5a: C. Kelly (QB), R. Switzer (WR)

    5b: J. Toth (C ), B. Langley (CB)

    5/6: J. Dobbs (QB), D. Webb (QB), R. Davis (WR)

    6. Z. Gonzales (K), T. Thompson (SS), J. Senior (OT), J. Chessan (WR), J. Malone (WR), TJ Logan (RB), CJ Bethard (QB)

    @tour2ma said:

    Grouped by certainty of talent translating to NFL. Ordered within groups (clusters) by combination of need, positional impact and viable later options.

    Well done! This idea is more fun than picking 1 guy in a mock. It also helps remind us how many good options we have at each selection.

    1-A. Myles Garrett DE (Hey where is Roethlisberger? He came down w/ Garrett's Syndrome but they're waking him up with smelling salts)

    Alternatives: Jonathan Allen DL, Malik Hooker FS, Jamal Adams SS, Reuben Foster - hard to see any of them get past #10 so I have them up here...

    1-B. OJ Howard TE/WR/H-Back/FB/Slot Receiver

    Alternatives: Dalvin Cook RB, Jabrill Peppers SS, Mike Williams WR, JuJu Smith-Schuster WR, Ryan Ramczyk OT, Cam Robinson OT, Derek Barnett DE

    Didn't find a QB in this class worthy of #1 or #12.

    2-A. Budda Baker FS

    Alternatives: Dede Westbrook Slot Receiver, Garret Bolles OT, Tyler Moton, OT, Marcus Williams FS, Quincy Wilson CB, Marlon Humphrey CB, Tra'Davious White CB, Haason Reddick OLB, Raekwon McMillan ILB

    2-B. Carlos Watkins DT (10.5 sacks and 13.5 TFLs from a DT position vrs double teams?)

    Alternatives: D'Onta Foreman RB, Gareon Conley CB, Kevin King CB, Curtis Samuel RB/WR, Obi Melifonwu SS, Cooper Kupp WR, Cam Sutton CB, Pat Elflein C, Zay Jones WR, Chris Godwin

    3-A. Teez Tabor CB (productive 3-4 year starter on film that slides to us for barely beating Rich Eisen's 40 time)

    Alternatives: Samaje Perine RB, Desmond King DB, Alex Anzalone OLB, Eric Magnuson OT, Montravious Adams DT

    4-A. Joshua Dobbs QB (The strong spec in Nashville is he will suddenly go in rd 4 so I'm reaching where it won't kill us)

    Nathan Peterman QB, Davis Webb QB, Lorenzo Jerome SS

    5-A. Chad Kelly QB (Sometimes an asshole is just a great football player. Tour found the ideal risk/reward draft slot here).

    Alternatives: Ben Boulware LB/ST, Elijah Hood RB, Donnel Humphrey RB/Slot Receiver/KR/PR

    5-B. Japan's Sumo Wrestling Champion OT (was there ever any argument to this light bulb moment behind the bottle?)

    Alternatives: We've been informed there are none so stay tuned...

    6-A. Zane Gonzales PK

  • @tour2ma said:

    Grouped by certainty of talent translating to NFL. Ordered within groups (clusters) by combination of need, positional impact and viable later options.

    Well done! This idea is more fun than picking 1 guy in a mock. It also helps remind us how many good options we have at each selection.

    1-A. Myles Garrett DE (Hey where is Roethlisberger? He came down w/ Garrett's Syndrome but they're waking him up with smelling salts)

    Alternatives: Jonathan Allen DL, Malik Hooker FS, Jamal Adams SS, Reuben Foster - hard to see any of them get past #10 so I have them up here...

    1-B. OJ Howard TE/WR/H-Back/FB/Slot Receiver

    Alternatives: Dalvin Cook RB, Jabrill Peppers SS, Mike Williams WR, JuJu Smith-Schuster WR, Ryan Ramczyk OT, Cam Robinson OT, Derek Barnett DE

    Didn't find a QB in this class worthy of #1 or #12.

    2-A. Budda Baker FS

    Alternatives: Dede Westbrook Slot Receiver, Garret Bolles OT, Tyler Moton, OT, Marcus Williams FS, Quincy Wilson CB, Marlon Humphrey CB, Tra'Davious White CB, Haason Reddick OLB, Raekwon McMillan ILB

    2-B. Carlos Watkins DT (10.5 sacks and 13.5 TFLs from a DT position vrs double teams?)

    Alternatives: D'Onta Foreman RB, Gareon Conley CB, Kevin King CB, Curtis Samuel RB/WR, Obi Melifonwu SS, Cooper Kupp WR, Cam Sutton CB, Pat Elflein C, Zay Jones WR, Chris Godwin

    3-A. Teez Tabor CB (productive 3-4 year starter on film that slides to us for barely beating Rich Eisen's 40 time)

    Alternatives: Samaje Perine RB, Desmond King DB, Alex Anzalone OLB, Eric Magnuson OT, Montravious Adams DT

    4-A. Joshua Dobbs QB (The strong spec in Nashville is he will suddenly go in rd 4 so I'm reaching where it won't kill us)

    Nathan Peterman QB, Davis Webb QB, Lorenzo Jerome SS

    5-A. Chad Kelly QB (Sometimes an asshole is just a great football player. Tour found the ideal risk/reward draft slot here).

    Alternatives: Ben Boulware LB/ST, Elijah Hood RB, Donnel Humphrey RB/Slot Receiver/KR/PR

    5-B. Japan's Sumo Wrestling Champion OT (was there ever any argument to this light bulb moment behind the bottle?)

    Alternatives: We've been informed there are none so stay tuned...

    6-A. Zane Gonzales PK

    @flugel said:

    Well done! This idea is more fun than picking 1 guy in a mock. It also helps remind us how many good options we have at each selection.

    2-A. Budda Baker FS

    Alternatives: Dede Westbrook Slot Receiver

    The underlined is what makes formulating a board the essential pre-work for the draft. How an individual formulates a board can vary, but whether it's on paper or not, it's there, so may as well take the time to set it to paper.

    Can't tell you how many First-picks I did when after making a pick or a trade a player was taken and I said to myself, "I forgot about him." And that's after looking at the sim generated BPA list.

    Westbrook is a WR I'd forgotten about. Was channel surfing yesterday during a Cavs-Pacers commercial break and there was some contrived, prospect "competition" on ESPN (I think). Most of the participants were mid-ling names. It was kind of a cross between The Combine's "gauntlet" and an old Superstars', obstacle-course competition. I didn't watch more than a few minutes, but the "event" on at the time was a WR one.

    A WR split out ran a serpentine path up-shallowcross-up-mediumcross-up-deepslant around tackling dummies. In the shallow-cross was one of those "pad tunnels" you see RBs run thru to reinforce pad level and ball security. In all I think there were 4 passes thrown at various points. Each run was against the clock with time added for drops.

    Gimmicky, but interesting...

    Anywho... saw someone, I forget who, run it, couple drops put him down the "standings". Atop the standing was my sleeper WR, Taywan Taylor (so obviously this "drill" was a true measure of potential... 😉 )... then DeDe ran... fast... crisp... and flawless... and there was a new leader in the proverbial clubhouse.

    It was then remembered him... 🙂

    Did not watch anymore of the show (found out the Tribe-Tigers was on FS1 to fill the NBA breaks), but I think I'll look for a replay to record in case I need to shelter between now and Thursday-week...

    ... and, no, not for a North Korea thing... a cat-5, rumor-tornado thing...

    Edit: And it was a paired, WR/QB competition thing. DeDe's QB was Mahomes... four perfect balls with zip, yet easy to catch.

  • Grouped by certainty of talent translating to NFL. Ordered within groups (clusters) by combination of need, positional impact and viable later options.

    In rounds where we have multiple picks well spread across the round, two sub-groupings are created.

    Cusps are inserted between each round for prospects that could rise:

    • in the event of a run on a position in the higher of the two rounds, or
    • if the lower cluster's prospects, in the higher round, are all off the board and no acceptable trade down offers are received.

    My Board

    1a: Myles Garrett (DE)

    1b: J. Adams (SS), S. Thomas (DE), J. Allen (DT), R. Foster (ILB), M. Lattimore (CB), M. Hooker (FS), OJ Howard (TE), H. Reddick (OLB)

    1/2 Cusp: D. Watson (QB), M. Trubisky (QB),

    2a: M. Williams (FS), C. Gonley (CB), Z. Cunningham (OLB), C. Awuzie (CB), K. King (CB/FS) T. Watt (OLB), F. Lamp (OG/OT)

    2b: J. Jones (SS), A. Jackson (CB), B. Baker (FS), T. Bowser (OLB), R. McMillan (ILB), D. Dawkins (OG/OT)

    2/3: S. Jones (CB), C. Brantley (DT),L. Ogunjobi (DT), C. Godwin (WR), E. Jackson (SS)

    3: J. Butt (TE), A. Shaheen (TE), M. Adams (DT), A. Anzalone (OLB), A. Garcia (OT), D. King (FS)

    3/4: T. Taylor (WR), M. Maye (FS), J. Leggett (TE),

    4. N. Peterman (QB), A Walker, Jr. (ILB), S. Griffin (CB), H. Wilson (CB), C. Watkins (DT), Ja. Williams (RB), G. Kittle (TE), M. Mack (RB)

    4/5: S. Perrine (RB), R. Glasgow (DT), E. Vanderdoes (DT)

    5a: C. Kelly (QB), R. Switzer (WR)

    5b: J. Toth (C ), B. Langley (CB)

    5/6: J. Dobbs (QB), D. Webb (QB), R. Davis (WR)

    6. Z. Gonzales (K), T. Thompson (SS), J. Senior (OT), J. Chessan (WR), J. Malone (WR), TJ Logan (RB), CJ Bethard (QB)

    @tour2ma said:

    • PLAYMAKERS-TAKE THEM EARLY & OFTEN Gumby73 Board

    1a: Myles Garrett (DE)

    1b:R.FOSTER------- J. Allen (DT), M. Lattimore (CB), OJ Howard (TE), H. Reddick (OLB)

    2a: ADOREE JACKSON CB,-----ZAY JONES WR, B. BAKER FS, K. King (CB/FS)

    2b: JOE MIXION RB,----- ZAY JONES WR, JAKE BUTT TE, S.Jones (SS), T. Bowser (OLB), A.ANZLONE OLB,D.KING FS/CB

    3: JAKE BUTT (TE),---- M.MAYE FS,T.BOWSER OLB, A. Anzalone (OLB), D. King (FS)

    4. M.MAYE SS,----S.PERRINE RB .D.TOMLINSON DT, C. Watkins (DT)

    5a: ZANE GONZALEZ K,---- JUSTIN EVANS SS, D. FOREMAN RB, JOSH REYNOLDS (WR)

    5b: JOSH REYNOLDS WR- OR USE IT & TRADED UP--ZANE GONZALEZ K, JAMES CONNOR RB, R.Switzer WR,

    6.USE IT & TRADED UP--- IF NO TE--SAUBERT or M.ROBERTS IF NO SS--HARVEY-CLEMMONS or LORENZO JEROME, J Logan (RB), BUG HOWARD WR

    ^^^For the love of Cleveland pay the Crow & Zay may be there. 🙂 If not Crow takes a beating at 225lbs. the above all sit at 233lbs. A Defensive draft may also lead to us with still a lot'a Cap with Alot'a players told to walk.Our door is always open..

  • Tour, where are Tre'Davious White and Marlon Humphrey? Two first rounders I never seem to hear about on this board.

  • Humphrey is a take if he is still there @33. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, 😁

  • Yep.....Humphrey is on my early in 2nd list.......would waffle between him and my boy Adore though......

  • I think Humphrey's the best CB in the draft, though admittedly DBs aren't my evaluation strong suit whatsoever.

  • Thought this was interesting regards grading big boards years later

    http://zonecoverage.com/2017/vikings/hasan-who-crafted-the-best-big-board-in-2014/

  • Yep.....Humphrey is on my early in 2nd list.......would waffle between him and my boy Adore though......

    @mudfly said:

    Yep.....Humphrey is on my early in 2nd list.......would waffle between him and my boy Adore though......

    Jackson is the better overall because of his ST value, but Humphrey is the better coverage CB IMO.

    Edit: I think Humphrey gets drafted before Jackson

  • @mudfly said:

    Yep.....Humphrey is on my early in 2nd list.......would waffle between him and my boy Adore though......

    Jackson is the better overall because of his ST value, but Humphrey is the better coverage CB IMO.

    Edit: I think Humphrey gets drafted before Jackson

    @texasag1969 said:

    Jackson is the better overall because of his ST value, but Humphrey is the better coverage CB IMO.

    Id agree.....which is the conundrum(ie waffle time)....

  • The thing I always find difficult about evaluating the Bama CBs is they often get spoiled by a great front 7 and pass rush that coincides well with their bump/physical press NFL teams aren't always offering. I think Saban also mixes in a nice blend of zone. Dee Milliner got the culture shock of a life time when the grabbing he always got a way with at Bama got flagged in games and noticed in practice when he was a NY Jet.

    Speaking of which, wouldn't it be nice to finally see Joe Haden get the perk of a reasonable pass rush up front?

  • @mudfly said:

    Yep.....Humphrey is on my early in 2nd list.......would waffle between him and my boy Adore though......

    Jackson is the better overall because of his ST value, but Humphrey is the better coverage CB IMO.

    Edit: I think Humphrey gets drafted before Jackson

    @texasag1969 said:

    Jackson is the better overall because of his ST value, but Humphrey is the better coverage CB IMO.

    Edit: I think Humphrey gets drafted before Jackson

    My worry about Jackson is how well can a 183 lb guy handle countless collisions in space in a bigger, faster, stronger world than college football. I only watched 1 of his games last year and he left the Rose Bowl early to injury so that was my first impression outside of highlights that emphasize all his positives. I love his agility/hips/change of direction and speed that lead to the ideal coverage skills.

    Joe Haden is a really strong guy especially when he can bench 225 lbs about 20-22 times at his size/weight; and he had a lot of trouble covering and tackling Brandon Marshall when we played the Jets to open 2015. Even when he maintained good coverage - the matchup remained unfair. The NFL has a lot of big WRs that will be just as tough to tackle as they are to cover so keeping this in mind is important. I'm starting to look more for taller corners with longer arms due to this trend and what I've seen from a Richard Sherman. The nice thing is they seem more plentiful in the mid to late rounds because they don't always have the elite fitness test results of the shorter/lighter guys.

    I could be doing a Dave Kingmanesque swing from my ass and miss here - and it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    Jackson is the better overall because of his ST value, but Humphrey is the better coverage CB IMO.

    Edit: I think Humphrey gets drafted before Jackson

    My worry about Jackson is how well can a 183 lb guy handle countless collisions in space in a bigger, faster, stronger world than college football. I only watched 1 of his games last year and he left the Rose Bowl early to injury so that was my first impression outside of highlights that emphasize all his positives. I love his agility/hips/change of direction and speed that lead to the ideal coverage skills.

    Joe Haden is a really strong guy especially when he can bench 225 lbs about 20-22 times at his size/weight; and he had a lot of trouble covering and tackling Brandon Marshall when we played the Jets to open 2015. Even when he maintained good coverage - the matchup remained unfair. The NFL has a lot of big WRs that will be just as tough to tackle as they are to cover so keeping this in mind is important. I'm starting to look more for taller corners with longer arms due to this trend and what I've seen from a Richard Sherman. The nice thing is they seem more plentiful in the mid to late rounds because they don't always have the elite fitness test results of the shorter/lighter guys.

    I could be doing a Dave Kingmanesque swing from my ass and miss here - and it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

    @flugel said:

    My worry about Jackson is how well can a 183 lb guy handle countless collisions in space in a bigger, faster, stronger world than college football. I only watched 1 of his games last year and he left the Rose Bowl early to injury so that was my first impression outside of highlights that emphasize all his positives. I love his agility/hips/change of direction and speed that lead to the ideal coverage skills.

    Joe Haden is a really strong guy especially when he can bench 225 lbs about 20-22 times at his size/weight; and he had a lot of trouble covering and tackling Brandon Marshall when we played the Jets to open 2015. Even when he maintained good coverage - the matchup remained unfair. The NFL has a lot of big WRs that will be just as tough to tackle as they are to cover so keeping this in mind is important. I'm starting to look more for taller corners with longer arms due to this trend and what I've seen from a Richard Sherman. The nice thing is they seem more plentiful in the mid to late rounds because they don't always have the elite fitness test results of the shorter/lighter guys.

    I could be doing a Dave Kingmanesque swing from my ass and miss here - and it certainly wouldn't be the first time.

    My only issue is that size does not make the player.....and that is why those 6-1" guys you mentioned are in the middle to later rounds.....because they aren't as good as the guys at the top...

    So...based upon that....are you saying a first rounder(like Haden @ 5-11 / 190 #'s) is a worse option than a 6-1" 4th rounder?

    Many of the all time best CB's....modern era included....are small guys who simply play ball.

    Frank Minnefield, Darrell Green, Champ Bailey all say little guys can succeed in the modern game.....hell. every receiver Minnefield ever covered was bigger than him...taller and heavier....but, with him being a great player, it meant those measurements didnt matter....(and there are many many many more examples of great CB's under 6'-0" and 200#).....many many many....

    Not necessarily you Fluges....but way too many people get hung up on measurements and weight and height and allow those things to affect their evaluation of talent and game performance..... I for one, will not be passing on a great player because he's 10 pounds less than I think he should be....or an inch shorter.....or has 8 inch hands, instead of 9 inch hands....etc etc....

    So.....just for kicks.....give me your 6'-1" mid round CB that will bring more than Adore...?

  • Tour, where are Tre'Davious White and Marlon Humphrey? Two first rounders I never seem to hear about on this board.

    @wargograw said:

    Tour, where are Tre'Davious White and Marlon Humphrey? Two first rounders I never seem to hear about on this board.

    TBH.... I don't spend a s much time on CBs. The cutdowns simply don't give enough of a look at them. If I had all-22's, I'd spend more time.

    Then there's the "will-they-be-there" factor... or do I care if they are? I feel in the gap between 1.12 and 2.01 many of the better CBs will get snapped up. And since I am a front2back-insideout kinda guy, I like Safeties in the 2nd... especially at the time I did "my board". Add that there is depth in this CB and I care a little less about the top of the class once I see value into Day 3.

    Since then I've cooled a little more on our SS need and upped our FS need. So today I might focus more on CBs to the extent that I can.

    @londonbrown said:

    Thought this was interesting regards grading big boards years later

    http://zonecoverage.com/2017/vikings/hasan-who-crafted-the-best-big-board-in-2014/

    Was interesting... can't wait until 2020 to see how my board does. Which, if so inclined, I could actually test using his methodology... and a PFF subscription.