The Guy Who Discovered Manny
-
The guy who discovered Manny . . .
5/9/2009, 7:50 p.m. ET
The Associated Press
(AP) — By Ken Davidoff
Newsday
It was in 1988, Joe DeLuca believes, when he first saw Manny Ramirez hit a baseball, and from there come so many more memories: Games, tournaments, conversations.
"The first three times I made appointments to sit down with him," DeLuca recalled Friday, in a phone conversation with Newsday, "he never showed up. He's got to know you a little bit before he talks to you."
At the recommendation of DeLuca, who makes his full-time home in Babylon, Long Island, the Cleveland Indians drafted Manny with the 13th overall pick of the 1991 draft; the Yankees, selecting first that year, went with high school lefty Brien Taylor, who never made the major leagues, and of the top 12 picks, only Dmitri Young (fourth, by St. Louis) and Shawn Estes (11th, by Seattle) made any bona fide impact.
"To get a player like that is a scout's dream," said DeLuca, who also counts Indians pitcher Charles Nagy and Commack, L.I. native Pete Harnisch among his best finds. "My ambition as a scout was to get a player to the big leagues. The Hall of Fame is another story."
Ironically, on Thursday night, just as people were absorbing the news of Ramirez's 50-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's drug rules, DeLuca could be found supporting the former Met Harnisch at the Suffolk (L.I.) Sports Hall of Fame.
And now, DeLuca knows, his gem, Manny, might never see the big Hall of Fame. He sounds more disappointed than stunned, and more supportive than angry. "It's like when you know somebody is dying," he said. "When it happens, you're not surprised. But you're still taken aback by the whole thing. It's a shot."
The two men don't stay in regular contact, but that speaks mostly to Manny Being Manny. "There's only one way I can get in touch with Manny," DeLuca said, chuckling, "and that's writing him a letter. The phone numbers I get are already changed by the time I get them."
The two men would often speak at Yankee Stadium, when Manny's Red Sox visited.
Continued DeLuca: "I'm still amazed by the whole damn thing. I don't think he evaluates things like, 'What are the consequences?' Sometimes these guys get into a frame of mind that whatever they do is OK."
Ultimately, DeLuca said, "I'm going to take a Peter Gammons approach and wait until the whole thing is over (before judging)."
It's a tough time for DeLuca right now, but then again, think of the scouts who discovered Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, et al. DeLuca certainly has company.
http://www.silive.com/sportsflash/index.ss...rylist=sisports
Beanpot
Not the Joe DeLuca from UA flight 93
-
The guy who discovered Manny . . .
5/9/2009, 7:50 p.m. ET
The Associated Press
(AP) — By Ken Davidoff
Newsday
It was in 1988, Joe DeLuca believes, when he first saw Manny Ramirez hit a baseball, and from there come so many more memories: Games, tournaments, conversations.
"The first three times I made appointments to sit down with him," DeLuca recalled Friday, in a phone conversation with Newsday, "he never showed up. He's got to know you a little bit before he talks to you."
At the recommendation of DeLuca, who makes his full-time home in Babylon, Long Island, the Cleveland Indians drafted Manny with the 13th overall pick of the 1991 draft; the Yankees, selecting first that year, went with high school lefty Brien Taylor, who never made the major leagues, and of the top 12 picks, only Dmitri Young (fourth, by St. Louis) and Shawn Estes (11th, by Seattle) made any bona fide impact.
"To get a player like that is a scout's dream," said DeLuca, who also counts Indians pitcher Charles Nagy and Commack, L.I. native Pete Harnisch among his best finds. "My ambition as a scout was to get a player to the big leagues. The Hall of Fame is another story."
Ironically, on Thursday night, just as people were absorbing the news of Ramirez's 50-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's drug rules, DeLuca could be found supporting the former Met Harnisch at the Suffolk (L.I.) Sports Hall of Fame.
And now, DeLuca knows, his gem, Manny, might never see the big Hall of Fame. He sounds more disappointed than stunned, and more supportive than angry. "It's like when you know somebody is dying," he said. "When it happens, you're not surprised. But you're still taken aback by the whole thing. It's a shot."
The two men don't stay in regular contact, but that speaks mostly to Manny Being Manny. "There's only one way I can get in touch with Manny," DeLuca said, chuckling, "and that's writing him a letter. The phone numbers I get are already changed by the time I get them."
The two men would often speak at Yankee Stadium, when Manny's Red Sox visited.
Continued DeLuca: "I'm still amazed by the whole damn thing. I don't think he evaluates things like, 'What are the consequences?' Sometimes these guys get into a frame of mind that whatever they do is OK."
Ultimately, DeLuca said, "I'm going to take a Peter Gammons approach and wait until the whole thing is over (before judging)."
It's a tough time for DeLuca right now, but then again, think of the scouts who discovered Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, et al. DeLuca certainly has company.
http://www.silive.com/sportsflash/index.ss...rylist=sisports
Beanpot
Not the Joe DeLuca from UA flight 93
The guy who discovered Manny . . .
5/9/2009, 7:50 p.m. ET
The Associated Press
(AP) — By Ken Davidoff
Newsday
It was in 1988, Joe DeLuca believes, when he first saw Manny Ramirez hit a baseball, and from there come so many more memories: Games, tournaments, conversations.
"The first three times I made appointments to sit down with him," DeLuca recalled Friday, in a phone conversation with Newsday, "he never showed up. He's got to know you a little bit before he talks to you."
At the recommendation of DeLuca, who makes his full-time home in Babylon, Long Island, the Cleveland Indians drafted Manny with the 13th overall pick of the 1991 draft; the Yankees, selecting first that year, went with high school lefty Brien Taylor, who never made the major leagues, and of the top 12 picks, only Dmitri Young (fourth, by St. Louis) and Shawn Estes (11th, by Seattle) made any bona fide impact.
"To get a player like that is a scout's dream," said DeLuca, who also counts Indians pitcher Charles Nagy and Commack, L.I. native Pete Harnisch among his best finds. "My ambition as a scout was to get a player to the big leagues. The Hall of Fame is another story."
Ironically, on Thursday night, just as people were absorbing the news of Ramirez's 50-game suspension for violating Major League Baseball's drug rules, DeLuca could be found supporting the former Met Harnisch at the Suffolk (L.I.) Sports Hall of Fame.
And now, DeLuca knows, his gem, Manny, might never see the big Hall of Fame. He sounds more disappointed than stunned, and more supportive than angry. "It's like when you know somebody is dying," he said. "When it happens, you're not surprised. But you're still taken aback by the whole thing. It's a shot."
The two men don't stay in regular contact, but that speaks mostly to Manny Being Manny. "There's only one way I can get in touch with Manny," DeLuca said, chuckling, "and that's writing him a letter. The phone numbers I get are already changed by the time I get them."
The two men would often speak at Yankee Stadium, when Manny's Red Sox visited.
Continued DeLuca: "I'm still amazed by the whole damn thing. I don't think he evaluates things like, 'What are the consequences?' Sometimes these guys get into a frame of mind that whatever they do is OK."
Ultimately, DeLuca said, "I'm going to take a Peter Gammons approach and wait until the whole thing is over (before judging)."
It's a tough time for DeLuca right now, but then again, think of the scouts who discovered Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, Rafael Palmeiro, et al. DeLuca certainly has company.
http://www.silive.com/sportsflash/index.ss...rylist=sisports
Beanpot
Not the Joe DeLuca from UA flight 93
nice post and cool................Manny is just Manny.......wish we had him still
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login