Skip to content

YESSSSSSS

The Browns Board
91 32 3.3k
  • Horrible pick.

  • The good news (thanks in large to the Orange stuff/beverage) is Kizer doesn't have to worry about Hoorta's accuracy with batteries any more than Elway had to. Now that would be a pretty fun video watching Hoorta in the wind-up with REM singing "Got my Orange Crush..."

    @flugel said:

    The good news (thanks in large to the Orange stuff/beverage) is Kizer doesn't have to worry about Hoorta's accuracy with batteries any more than Elway had to. Now that would be a pretty fun video watching Hoorta in the wind-up with REM singing "Got my Orange Crush..."

    lmao...

  • The good news (thanks in large to the Orange stuff/beverage) is Kizer doesn't have to worry about Hoorta's accuracy with batteries any more than Elway had to. Now that would be a pretty fun video watching Hoorta in the wind-up with REM singing "Got my Orange Crush..."

    @flugel said:

    The good news (thanks in large to the Orange stuff/beverage) is Kizer doesn't have to worry about Hoorta's accuracy with batteries any more than Elway had to.

    Ha, they don't allow lantern batteries inside anymore Tom. And at my age, my range with one of those bad boys is around 40 feet. We'll see how things develop. I'll give him 1\2 a chance playing before I start ripping him to shreds. The more I've seen of him during the draft process, the lower my opinion of him went, and it was pretty low last fall watching him play to begin with. Needless to say, I'm not the only Browns fan that isn't rolling out the Red Carpet for Deshone. I think guys here can see now just because a prospect is an Ohio guy- doesn't mean me & Gip get all Gaga eyed over him. He's the anti Trubs in the accuracy and quick release department, and the anti Watson in the clutch area. Mud accentuated the arrogance factor. To modify Gilbert's kids comment, "what's not to hate?"

  • @flugel said:

    The good news (thanks in large to the Orange stuff/beverage) is Kizer doesn't have to worry about Hoorta's accuracy with batteries any more than Elway had to.

    Ha, they don't allow lantern batteries inside anymore Tom. And at my age, my range with one of those bad boys is around 40 feet. We'll see how things develop. I'll give him 1\2 a chance playing before I start ripping him to shreds. The more I've seen of him during the draft process, the lower my opinion of him went, and it was pretty low last fall watching him play to begin with. Needless to say, I'm not the only Browns fan that isn't rolling out the Red Carpet for Deshone. I think guys here can see now just because a prospect is an Ohio guy- doesn't mean me & Gip get all Gaga eyed over him. He's the anti Trubs in the accuracy and quick release department, and the anti Watson in the clutch area. Mud accentuated the arrogance factor. To modify Gilbert's kids comment, "what's not to hate?"

    @hoorta said:

    Ha...... To modify Gilbert's kids comment, "what's not to hate?"

    That's good.

    I will give Kizer time, plenty of time maybe measured in many, many months if not years. 2018? More?

  • I was not in love with the drafting of Kizer. However, what's the one thing this organization has said since day one? they want to build depth at EVERY position, including qb. I think with Kizer and Kessler that is exactly what the browns are doing. He's a project. He has a ton of work to do. However, his upside could be tremendous. They have the draft picks to go out and make these type of gambles. yes, there are other players that could have been picked, but nobody on the board could be as transformative to the organization and have the same kind of value if they peak like Kizer. Kessler gives the browns a hard working steady presence who, IMOP, now with a decent offensive line will be able to successfully manage a game for you. He's a future very very good back-up who can start and win some games for you but may never win a SB. Kizer has the POTENTIAL to be great. It's not there now, but if he matures both physically with his skills as well as on the mental aspect, and this is where Kessler is going to push him because he is a work-a-holic. It's going to show within the next year. Finally, let's just say the browns after next year STILL don't think there is a qb on this roster. Now they have the FA route or the draft on whomever they fall in love with to go out and get. Yes, that's three qb's on the roster but all three are significant upgrades compared to where they were just last year. I guess what i'm saying, is even though I don't love Kizer NOW, his future potential and the browns flexibility in the next year has put them in a much better situation than if they would have forced a trubs or mahomes in the first. The difference between the top 4 was very minimal that the risk/reward is TOTALLY worth this pick.

  • I was not in love with the drafting of Kizer. However, what's the one thing this organization has said since day one? they want to build depth at EVERY position, including qb. I think with Kizer and Kessler that is exactly what the browns are doing. He's a project. He has a ton of work to do. However, his upside could be tremendous. They have the draft picks to go out and make these type of gambles. yes, there are other players that could have been picked, but nobody on the board could be as transformative to the organization and have the same kind of value if they peak like Kizer. Kessler gives the browns a hard working steady presence who, IMOP, now with a decent offensive line will be able to successfully manage a game for you. He's a future very very good back-up who can start and win some games for you but may never win a SB. Kizer has the POTENTIAL to be great. It's not there now, but if he matures both physically with his skills as well as on the mental aspect, and this is where Kessler is going to push him because he is a work-a-holic. It's going to show within the next year. Finally, let's just say the browns after next year STILL don't think there is a qb on this roster. Now they have the FA route or the draft on whomever they fall in love with to go out and get. Yes, that's three qb's on the roster but all three are significant upgrades compared to where they were just last year. I guess what i'm saying, is even though I don't love Kizer NOW, his future potential and the browns flexibility in the next year has put them in a much better situation than if they would have forced a trubs or mahomes in the first. The difference between the top 4 was very minimal that the risk/reward is TOTALLY worth this pick.

    @bigalow80 said:

    they want to build depth at EVERY position, including qb. I think with Kizer and Kessler that is exactly what the browns are doing. He's a project. He has a ton of work to do. However, his upside could be tremendous. They have the draft picks to go out and make these type of gambles. yes, there are other players that could have been picked, but nobody on the board could be as transformative to the organization and have the same kind of value if they peak like Kizer.

    If nothing else we know Sashi&Co. love draft picks...

    And next to draft picks, there's no better currency in the NFL than QBs that can play. We now have 4 QBs rostered.

    • Two, Kess and Brock, have or have already shown promise.
    • One, Kizer, has potential.
    • Then there's Hogan...

    Can we develop three at the same time? Doubtful. Do we have to? Probably depends on how Brock takes to our Offense.

    Someone, my guess is Brock, gets showcased in pre-season. All he has to do is flash the good he showed in Denver and he's cashable. Should he actually win our starting job? Then just hope Kess pushed him hard and we can cash Kess out.

    Worst case? Neither really shines and we release Hogan...

  • @osiris said:

    He's a smart kid, and smart kids respond to coaching more intensely than, well, Brandon Weeden. It goes both ways, he responded negatively to Kelly, I think he will respond positively to Jackson. At best he has all the physical tools to be the big AFC north QB we've all been clamoring for. At worst, we wasted a second round pick. That's the nature of drafting QBs. Zero sum game. I really don't get all the haters on this board for this pick.

    LOL! Kizer 28 on Wonderlic..........JM scored 31 so there's that....................... 😁

    @texasag1969 said:

    LOL! Kizer 28 on Wonderlic..........JM scored 31 so there's that....................... 😁

    And if you think a single test is a real measure of intelligence I've got lots of LOL right back at you. JM with his higher Wonderlic couldn't think himself out of a beer bottle and onto another team. Kizer is already walking around with the playbook and had. 3.6 GPA in high school.

  • @bigalow80 said:

    they want to build depth at EVERY position, including qb. I think with Kizer and Kessler that is exactly what the browns are doing. He's a project. He has a ton of work to do. However, his upside could be tremendous. They have the draft picks to go out and make these type of gambles. yes, there are other players that could have been picked, but nobody on the board could be as transformative to the organization and have the same kind of value if they peak like Kizer.

    If nothing else we know Sashi&Co. love draft picks...

    And next to draft picks, there's no better currency in the NFL than QBs that can play. We now have 4 QBs rostered.

    • Two, Kess and Brock, have or have already shown promise.
    • One, Kizer, has potential.
    • Then there's Hogan...

    Can we develop three at the same time? Doubtful. Do we have to? Probably depends on how Brock takes to our Offense.

    Someone, my guess is Brock, gets showcased in pre-season. All he has to do is flash the good he showed in Denver and he's cashable. Should he actually win our starting job? Then just hope Kess pushed him hard and we can cash Kess out.

    Worst case? Neither really shines and we release Hogan...

    @tour2ma said:

    If nothing else we know Sashi&Co. love draft picks...

    And next to draft picks, there's no better currency in the NFL than QBs that can play. We now have 4 QBs rostered.

    • Two, Kess and Brock, have or have already shown promise.
    • One, Kizer, has potential.
    • Then there's Hogan...

    Can we develop three at the same time? Doubtful. Do we have to? Probably depends on how Brock takes to our Offense.

    Someone, my guess is Brock, gets showcased in pre-season. All he has to do is flash the good he showed in Denver and he's cashable. Should he actually win our starting job? Then just hope Kess pushed him hard and we can cash Kess out.

    Worst case? Neither really shines and we release Hogan...

    I would die laughing if brock ended up being the man

  • sydS syd

    @tour2ma said:

    If nothing else we know Sashi&Co. love draft picks...

    And next to draft picks, there's no better currency in the NFL than QBs that can play. We now have 4 QBs rostered.

    • Two, Kess and Brock, have or have already shown promise.
    • One, Kizer, has potential.
    • Then there's Hogan...

    Can we develop three at the same time? Doubtful. Do we have to? Probably depends on how Brock takes to our Offense.

    Someone, my guess is Brock, gets showcased in pre-season. All he has to do is flash the good he showed in Denver and he's cashable. Should he actually win our starting job? Then just hope Kess pushed him hard and we can cash Kess out.

    Worst case? Neither really shines and we release Hogan...

    I would die laughing if brock ended up being the man

    @syd said:

    I would die laughing if brock ended up being the man

    He sure looked like the boy wonder in Denver before deciding to try his hand at high finance. Who knows he should be an upgrade from RGIII. 😉

  • sydS syd

    @tour2ma said:

    If nothing else we know Sashi&Co. love draft picks...

    And next to draft picks, there's no better currency in the NFL than QBs that can play. We now have 4 QBs rostered.

    • Two, Kess and Brock, have or have already shown promise.
    • One, Kizer, has potential.
    • Then there's Hogan...

    Can we develop three at the same time? Doubtful. Do we have to? Probably depends on how Brock takes to our Offense.

    Someone, my guess is Brock, gets showcased in pre-season. All he has to do is flash the good he showed in Denver and he's cashable. Should he actually win our starting job? Then just hope Kess pushed him hard and we can cash Kess out.

    Worst case? Neither really shines and we release Hogan...

    I would die laughing if brock ended up being the man

    @syd said:

    I would die laughing if brock ended up being the man

    Let's baby step this sucker.

    Tears coming down your cheeks is not laughing...

  • @ghoolie said:

    You people are out of your fucking minds. This guy is inaccurate, erratic, mistake prone, and he left college 2 years too early. No Veteran talent to work with the kid.

    Absolute horseshit pick. This fucking kid will self destruct. But hey, inaccurate, mistake-prone, dumb? Right up Hue's DNA, yeah?

    LIke I said, the Browns will draft DeShit.

    ^^^^ Normally I don't quote Ghoolie much, but. MHO- horrible pick. He's not dumb though. Just football dumb. When our pick came up, I was hoping CB, then we draft a guy that I might have taken a chance on in the 6th round. You probably can guess my expletive when his name was announced. The wife was in the other room and asked "What are you screaming about?" Just like the WTF when Hue got a hard-on for RG III, I can see it now- Mr. QB whisperer told Sashi "I can fix him". Some things are so broken they can't be fixed Hue.

    @cainedesoulis said:

    Analytically he is one of the more inaccurate passers in the class. he has the physical tools but none of the mental game. Combine that with a lack of love for the game and no leadership and questionable leadership.

    and lets not get too carried away about QB of the Future label there's a reason we stockpiled picks in 2018 and a reason Kizer went later than hackenberg.

    I said it already- "Suck for Sam". I'm really POed now. Anybody but Kizer. I would have taken Webb or Dobbs before wasting a second round pick on a big time project that to my mind has around a 5% (at best) chance of success. He's the anti-Watson in ability to elevate the players around him, and the opposite of Trubs in the accuracy department. I suppose I'll have to support him because he's a Brown, but I have zero confidence he can even be good, much less great.

    BTW, on top of his many flaws- at least from my POV. In the personality department, he's as unlikable as Garrett is likable.

    @hoorta said:

    ^^^^ Normally I don't quote Ghoolie much, but. MHO- horrible pick. He's not dumb though. Just football dumb. When our pick came up, I was hoping CB, then we draft a guy that I might have taken a chance on in the 6th round. You probably can guess my expletive when his name was announced. The wife was in the other room and asked "What are you screaming about?" Just like the WTF when Hue got a hard-on for RG III, I can see it now- Mr. QB whisperer told Sashi "I can fix him". Some things are so broken they can't be fixed Hue.

    I said it already- "Suck for Sam". I'm really POed now. Anybody but Kizer. I would have taken Webb or Dobbs before wasting a second round pick on a big time project that to my mind has around a 5% (at best) chance of success. He's the anti-Watson in ability to elevate the players around him, and the opposite of Trubs in the accuracy department. I suppose I'll have to support him because he's a Brown, but I have zero confidence he can even be good, much less great.

    BTW, on top of his many flaws- at least from my POV. In the personality department, he's as unlikable as Garrett is likable.

    Your opinion is almost as shit as Ghoolies, and that's saying something

  • @flugel said:

    The good news (thanks in large to the Orange stuff/beverage) is Kizer doesn't have to worry about Hoorta's accuracy with batteries any more than Elway had to.

    Ha, they don't allow lantern batteries inside anymore Tom. And at my age, my range with one of those bad boys is around 40 feet. We'll see how things develop. I'll give him 1\2 a chance playing before I start ripping him to shreds. The more I've seen of him during the draft process, the lower my opinion of him went, and it was pretty low last fall watching him play to begin with. Needless to say, I'm not the only Browns fan that isn't rolling out the Red Carpet for Deshone. I think guys here can see now just because a prospect is an Ohio guy- doesn't mean me & Gip get all Gaga eyed over him. He's the anti Trubs in the accuracy and quick release department, and the anti Watson in the clutch area. Mud accentuated the arrogance factor. To modify Gilbert's kids comment, "what's not to hate?"

    @hoorta said:

    Ha, they don't allow lantern batteries inside anymore Tom. And at my age, my range with one of those bad boys is around 40 feet. We'll see how things develop. I'll give him 1\2 a chance playing before I start ripping him to shreds. The more I've seen of him during the draft process, the lower my opinion of him went, and it was pretty low last fall watching him play to begin with. Needless to say, I'm not the only Browns fan that isn't rolling out the Red Carpet for Deshone. I think guys here can see now just because a prospect is an Ohio guy- doesn't mean me & Gip get all Gaga eyed over him. He's the anti Trubs in the accuracy and quick release department, and the anti Watson in the clutch area. Mud accentuated the arrogance factor. To modify Gilbert's kids comment, "what's not to hate?"

    I was just trying to add a little comic relief. QBs have always polarized and escalated intensities before they ended up on the t-shirt.

    I don't know how accurate this is but I have a feeling our FO was going to try to move up to #5 with the same franchise (TN) we developed a 1st round trade relationship with last year. The Kyle Shanahan who would love to stick it up Jimmy Haslam's dumpster while gaining Chicago's 2017 and 2018 3rd round picks in addition to their 2017 4th round pick probably had enough influence on John Lynch to the extent there was no way he could say no to Kyle & Chicago's offer. This being the case, you have 2 choices: 1) never let it go or 2) realize we added 3 first round picks before we drafted Kizer to develop at QB here.

    Ironically, it was the DeShaun Watson who you've never spoken very highly of that we passed on at #12. In doing so, we ended up with 3 first round picks that weren't considered reaches.

  • @hoorta said:

    Ha, they don't allow lantern batteries inside anymore Tom. And at my age, my range with one of those bad boys is around 40 feet. We'll see how things develop. I'll give him 1\2 a chance playing before I start ripping him to shreds. The more I've seen of him during the draft process, the lower my opinion of him went, and it was pretty low last fall watching him play to begin with. Needless to say, I'm not the only Browns fan that isn't rolling out the Red Carpet for Deshone. I think guys here can see now just because a prospect is an Ohio guy- doesn't mean me & Gip get all Gaga eyed over him. He's the anti Trubs in the accuracy and quick release department, and the anti Watson in the clutch area. Mud accentuated the arrogance factor. To modify Gilbert's kids comment, "what's not to hate?"

    I was just trying to add a little comic relief. QBs have always polarized and escalated intensities before they ended up on the t-shirt.

    I don't know how accurate this is but I have a feeling our FO was going to try to move up to #5 with the same franchise (TN) we developed a 1st round trade relationship with last year. The Kyle Shanahan who would love to stick it up Jimmy Haslam's dumpster while gaining Chicago's 2017 and 2018 3rd round picks in addition to their 2017 4th round pick probably had enough influence on John Lynch to the extent there was no way he could say no to Kyle & Chicago's offer. This being the case, you have 2 choices: 1) never let it go or 2) realize we added 3 first round picks before we drafted Kizer to develop at QB here.

    Ironically, it was the DeShaun Watson who you've never spoken very highly of that we passed on at #12. In doing so, we ended up with 3 first round picks that weren't considered reaches.

    @flugel said:

    I was just trying to add a little comic relief. QBs have always polarized and escalated intensities before they ended up on the t-shirt.

    I don't know how accurate this is but I have a feeling our FO was going to try to move up to #5 with the same franchise (TN) we developed a 1st round trade relationship with last year. The Kyle Shanahan who would love to stick it up Jimmy Haslam's dumpster while gaining Chicago's 2017 and 2018 3rd round picks in addition to their 2017 4th round pick probably had enough influence on John Lynch to the extent there was no way he could say no to Kyle & Chicago's offer. This being the case, you have 2 choices: 1) never let it go or 2) realize we added 3 first round picks before we drafted Kizer to develop at QB here.

    Ironically, it was the DeShaun Watson who you've never spoken very highly of that we passed on at #12. In doing so, we ended up with 3 first round picks that weren't considered reaches.

    ^^^ Flugs, I've let it go. Regarding the #5, I was counting on it. We couldn't realistically match Chicago's offer. Not only did the Browns get shafted, the Titans had to take their WR @ #5 that they were planning on @ #12. As long as people realize we took another flyer on a project. Haha- now I told ya I thought Watson was a stiff. 🙂 I just happen to think Kizer is an even bigger stiff. Just my opinion, and I'll happily eat dirt if I'm wrong. So I'm OK with the extra first round pick- now. I wasn't initially. Get me the best qb out of that "supposed" superior 2018 QB class, and send that 4th best 2017 guy back to Toledo.

    I only had minor issues with the first round- thought we should have gotten a little more moving down to #25, and there were a lot guys I wanted between #12 and #25 I really liked. (I know you had the hots for OJ Howard, Njoku is a nice consolation prize though) But Kizer? Wow, never liked him- and even less after the combine and the interview process. I'll dig up (if you're interested) the YouTube of his 20 minutes at Gruden's QB camp. He comes off as an intelligent robot with no personality. XYZ down and distance, defensive formation, what's the call? Computer, working, working- 0.2 seconds hit Z Wr on a 15 yard out. I don't know if that will preclude him from being a great NFL qb. (second round- that's where Carr, Esiason and Brees got drafted) so his bar is a tad higher than Kessler's. But the light went on how the Harvard Geek Squad took a liking to him. If he has no people skills off camera- he WILL fail, regardless of his skill set.

  • Pretty sure Dalton is on Hue's "whisper" list...

    Flacco as well...

    @tour2ma said:

    Pretty sure Dalton is on Hue's "whisper" list...

    Flacco as well...

    Dalton had already been to a Pro Bowl under QB coach now OC Zampese and then OC now Skins head coach Gruden.Hue was still in Oakland whispering an already groomed Carson Palmer.
  • @flugel said:

    I was just trying to add a little comic relief. QBs have always polarized and escalated intensities before they ended up on the t-shirt.

    I don't know how accurate this is but I have a feeling our FO was going to try to move up to #5 with the same franchise (TN) we developed a 1st round trade relationship with last year. The Kyle Shanahan who would love to stick it up Jimmy Haslam's dumpster while gaining Chicago's 2017 and 2018 3rd round picks in addition to their 2017 4th round pick probably had enough influence on John Lynch to the extent there was no way he could say no to Kyle & Chicago's offer. This being the case, you have 2 choices: 1) never let it go or 2) realize we added 3 first round picks before we drafted Kizer to develop at QB here.

    Ironically, it was the DeShaun Watson who you've never spoken very highly of that we passed on at #12. In doing so, we ended up with 3 first round picks that weren't considered reaches.

    ^^^ Flugs, I've let it go. Regarding the #5, I was counting on it. We couldn't realistically match Chicago's offer. Not only did the Browns get shafted, the Titans had to take their WR @ #5 that they were planning on @ #12. As long as people realize we took another flyer on a project. Haha- now I told ya I thought Watson was a stiff. 🙂 I just happen to think Kizer is an even bigger stiff. Just my opinion, and I'll happily eat dirt if I'm wrong. So I'm OK with the extra first round pick- now. I wasn't initially. Get me the best qb out of that "supposed" superior 2018 QB class, and send that 4th best 2017 guy back to Toledo.

    I only had minor issues with the first round- thought we should have gotten a little more moving down to #25, and there were a lot guys I wanted between #12 and #25 I really liked. (I know you had the hots for OJ Howard, Njoku is a nice consolation prize though) But Kizer? Wow, never liked him- and even less after the combine and the interview process. I'll dig up (if you're interested) the YouTube of his 20 minutes at Gruden's QB camp. He comes off as an intelligent robot with no personality. XYZ down and distance, defensive formation, what's the call? Computer, working, working- 0.2 seconds hit Z Wr on a 15 yard out. I don't know if that will preclude him from being a great NFL qb. (second round- that's where Carr, Esiason and Brees got drafted) so his bar is a tad higher than Kessler's. But the light went on how the Harvard Geek Squad took a liking to him. If he has no people skills off camera- he WILL fail, regardless of his skill set.

    @hoorta said:

    ^^^ Flugs, I've let it go. Regarding the #5, I was counting on it. We couldn't realistically match Chicago's offer. Not only did the Browns get shafted, the Titans had to take their WR @ #5 that they were planning on @ #12. As long as people realize we took another flyer on a project. Haha- now I told ya I thought Watson was a stiff. 🙂 I just happen to think Kizer is an even bigger stiff. Just my opinion, and I'll happily eat dirt if I'm wrong. So I'm OK with the extra first round pick- now. I wasn't initially. Get me the best qb out of that "supposed" superior 2018 QB class, and send that 4th best 2017 guy back to Toledo.

    I only had minor issues with the first round- thought we should have gotten a little more moving down to #25, and there were a lot guys I wanted between #12 and #25 I really liked. (I know you had the hots for OJ Howard, Njoku is a nice consolation prize though) But Kizer? Wow, never liked him- and even less after the combine and the interview process. I'll dig up (if you're interested) the YouTube of his 20 minutes at Gruden's QB camp. He comes off as an intelligent robot with no personality. XYZ down and distance, defensive formation, what's the call? Computer, working, working- 0.2 seconds hit Z Wr on a 15 yard out. I don't know if that will preclude him from being a great NFL qb. (second round- that's where Carr, Esiason and Brees got drafted) so his bar is a tad higher than Kessler's. But the light went on how the Harvard Geek Squad took a liking to him. If he has no people skills off camera- he WILL fail, regardless of his skill set.

    Larry, Hear me out. You gotta admit your buddy in Carolina who's opinion you told me you highly regard - got you all excited about the Cleveland hometown guy Trubisky. Kizer is from Toledo, which means he's more of a hometown kid to Detroilet than Cleveland. Meaning? You'll never stop giving Mitch L every excuse on the planet while you've even shredded Watson's performance against Bama. If you watched that entire second half that gased one of the best front 7s in college football history (1 week after beating OSU by 31 points), the last thing anyone dwelled on was 1 or 2 pick plays - even Jonathan Allen who called him the best player he faced. BTW, whoever told me Clemson's defense carried Watson - might want to let me know how many of their defenders were drafted before day 3.

    Anyway, this QB class was all about realistic expectations mostly set by unbiased draft analysts (not us) that watch a lot more film on these guys than we as fans have access to. When the majority of them are calling the entire draft class from top to bottom a bunch of projects - are we drafting rear view mirror and concluding all there is to Kizer is body by Brian Kelly? Or, are we understanding Kizer was the 4th draft pick our FO brought here to develop? I posted Joe Montana's college career of 25 TDs to 25 INTs with a 52% completion and very pedestrian yardage from a prehistoric offense that didn't match Joe's greatest attributes/skills. That offense asked one of the best NFL passers of all time to win like Tim Tebow instead of Tom Brady because the stubborn HC there at the time refused to tailor his offense to anyone 1 QB (even Joe). If memory serves me right, he was even reluctant to start Montana at first because of all this. Lucky for Joe it was Bill Walsh instead of a Rick Kotite that saw Montana as an appropriate fit for his/Paul Brown's passing game. If Joe Montana was an 82nd pick overall - he was alot more gotta have in hindsight 20/20 than he was on draft day. I see Kizer coming out of a very similar situation and Brian Kelly is an absolute prick that doesn't hesitate to throw his players and others under the bus to the media. Did any of his QBs at ND improve?

    Why use Joe Montana here? Because the drastic difference in his NFL passing efficiency, completion %, TDs to INT ratio, and everything across the board dwarfed his college numbers. Why? The right coach, right system, right surrounding talent was an ideal fit to his skill set.

    As I said, Kizer was my last choice of QB preference but a lot of that was aimed at him being considered for either of our first 2 draft choices. He ended up as our 4th draft choice. Like any other draft choice that hasn't put the pads on yet here, I'll wait and see. I don't expect him to be our week 1 starter. I'd like to see what a more experienced Kessler that worked his tail off in the off season with a QB guru looks like behind an improved pass protection with a TE that can run faster than park and seeing a target DeValve line up in the slot.

    I'm not getting the impression the city of Chicago is nearly as excited about Trubisky as they are concerned about what they gave up to take the least of all evils at QB in this class in their perception. This is no hometown warm and fuzzy there willing to excuse every imperfection up against what they gave up to get him so stay tuned... The frustration there? It's been said this isn't the year to do such a thing. I'd like to see Mitch do well but I'd rather see the guy we drafted do better.

  • The QB pick that lucked out the most was Mahomes who is not expected to be the man for at least 2-3 years while he develops. The Browns lucked out by the jump ahead for trubs because we needed defenders now more than we needed a project. And we got the extra ammo for next year's better class of QB's. The Browns FO admits they studied who wins SBs and those that build great defenses first are the ones who get there and/or win them.

  • The QB pick that lucked out the most was Mahomes who is not expected to be the man for at least 2-3 years while he develops. The Browns lucked out by the jump ahead for trubs because we needed defenders now more than we needed a project. And we got the extra ammo for next year's better class of QB's. The Browns FO admits they studied who wins SBs and those that build great defenses first are the ones who get there and/or win them.

    @texasag1969 said:

    The QB pick that lucked out the most was Mahomes who is not expected to be the man for at least 2-3 years while he develops. The Browns lucked out by the jump ahead for trubs because we needed defenders now more than we needed a project. And we got the extra ammo for next year's better class of QB's. The Browns FO admits they studied who wins SBs and those that build great defenses first are the ones who get there and/or win them.

    I agree with this. The QB Pittsburgh landed who I used to like (Josh Dobbs) had 27 TDs to 12 INTs in comparison to Kizer's 26 TDs to 9 INTs everyone seems way more down on. It looks like UT's RB Alvin Kamara (rd 3) and WR Josh Malone (rd 4). And keep in mind, former top recruit Jalen Hurd started the first 7 games over Kamara before he got frustrated with the offense and quit the the team/left the school. Did any of Kizer's offensive tools even get drafted this year?

    There's a lot of variables we don't even know about so we have to get back to we're not drafting what's in the rear view mirror - we're drafting one of the projects we hope we can have the right system match for his skill set. Meanwhile, we're also hoping the last QB we drafted comes back better from the rookie experience and offseason work he completed.

  • @texasag1969 said:

    The QB pick that lucked out the most was Mahomes who is not expected to be the man for at least 2-3 years while he develops. The Browns lucked out by the jump ahead for trubs because we needed defenders now more than we needed a project. And we got the extra ammo for next year's better class of QB's. The Browns FO admits they studied who wins SBs and those that build great defenses first are the ones who get there and/or win them.

    I agree with this. The QB Pittsburgh landed who I used to like (Josh Dobbs) had 27 TDs to 12 INTs in comparison to Kizer's 26 TDs to 9 INTs everyone seems way more down on. It looks like UT's RB Alvin Kamara (rd 3) and WR Josh Malone (rd 4). And keep in mind, former top recruit Jalen Hurd started the first 7 games over Kamara before he got frustrated with the offense and quit the the team/left the school. Did any of Kizer's offensive tools even get drafted this year?

    There's a lot of variables we don't even know about so we have to get back to we're not drafting what's in the rear view mirror - we're drafting one of the projects we hope we can have the right system match for his skill set. Meanwhile, we're also hoping the last QB we drafted comes back better from the rookie experience and offseason work he completed.

    @flugel said:

    Meanwhile, we're also hoping the last QB we drafted comes back better from the rookie experience and offseason work he completed.

    With a vastly improved defense that I expect to get from Williams and a QB with a far better OL combined with his off season improvement plan, I can actually see us with 5 or more wins this coming year. If Kizer is really the guy, the staff will know it before year's end. If not then we have what we need to get one better (and I do think the top 2 are better at this point).

    Edit: The hope is that the franchise QB is already on the team now either in Kessler or Kizer and that next year's draft can be used to really build something very special. Christian Kirk anyone? 😁

    Never too early to look: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php

  • @flugel said:

    Meanwhile, we're also hoping the last QB we drafted comes back better from the rookie experience and offseason work he completed.

    With a vastly improved defense that I expect to get from Williams and a QB with a far better OL combined with his off season improvement plan, I can actually see us with 5 or more wins this coming year. If Kizer is really the guy, the staff will know it before year's end. If not then we have what we need to get one better (and I do think the top 2 are better at this point).

    Edit: The hope is that the franchise QB is already on the team now either in Kessler or Kizer and that next year's draft can be used to really build something very special. Christian Kirk anyone? 😁

    Never too early to look: http://walterfootball.com/draft2018.php

    @texasag1969 said:

    With a vastly improved defense that I expect to get from Williams and a QB with a far better OL combined with his off season improvement plan, I can actually see us with 5 or more wins this coming year. If Kizer is really the guy, the staff will know it before year's end. If not then we have what we need to get one better (and I do think the top 2 are better at this point).

    If Hue Jackson put his ass on the line to make the statement you can bet he's going to get a longer rope. If it's true the fo didn't want this guy and Jackson went to the wall for him he's going to go out his way to protect him.

    WSS