The turn around starts now!
-
I have vowed to never mention the possibility of Gordon playing for our team again, and I won't break that now. All evidence points to him NOT playing for us, so as sad as it makes me...it's time to let him go. I'm not saying it's what I WOULD DO, but listen...the writing is on the wall.
I agree with the people who believe Kizer won't be able to beat out Cody (or Brock for that matter) for the starting gig. So much would have to happen, and Cody has a real shot to take hold of the starting position. You have to figure he learned a lot getting the crap kicked out of him, and he's definitely the kind of guy who will be working his ass off. When Cody was at his best, he was getting the ball out quickly and accurately. He started to wane when he heard the voices of "you need to push the ball downfield more" over and over. Nobody would argue with that fact, but he needs to let that part of the game come to him organically.
This is the time of the year when hope springs eternal, and many teams are feeling better about their rosters and chances at improving their previous seasons. Many of us are no exception to that, and I would tend to agree with the posters who feel that it's time to start improving, and move on from the "tear down" of last year. We torn our foundation down to the studs (well, we didn't really HAVE studs...) and now we're building the structure. We added a huge amount of athletic ability to both sides of the ball, and it's obvious to me that our analytics attitude places a HUGE importance on speed, strength, and explosiveness. We added some serious muscle to the OL, and we now have a serious starter at Center. The one position up for grabs is RT, and from what I understand, the team (and Joe freaking Thomas) seem to think Shon Coleman has a bright future with the Browns. Shon didn't play much last year (by design), but i saw him absolutely pancake a couple guys on nice run plays. That ride side will now have some serious beef to run behind in Zeitler and Coleman. Zeitler is a massive human being, and has a nasty streak to him. Running the ball more consistently will help every aspect of our offense. If you remember, Cody Kessler took a ton of huge hits when we were down double digits and the defense knew we had to pass. If our defense can keep us in more games, the running game will be able to keep our QB's healthy in a sense.
Our offense needs more possessions, and that will come from our defense causing more turnovers and forcing more punts (hopefully). I don't have our turnover numbers, but I'm assuming we didn't exactly lead the league in forcing them. I know our sack numbers weren't great, and I also know we probably were close to leading the league in GETTING sacked. The one sour note on offense is losing Terrell Pryor, and I can't blame our front office for that one. We have to hope Kenny Britt can pick up the slack and that David Njoku can contribute right away. I'm somewhat leery of expecting too much from Njoku, as he is only 20 years old and appears to be somewhat raw. However, I was VERY intrigued by what Devalve was able to accomplish, and if he can stay healthy, he appears to be a guy that can pick up 1st downs for us. It also goes without saying that we need Coleman to take a massive step forward, and we also need one of the other 2nd year bozos to man up at WR. It was depressing to spend four draft picks on one position, and really not get much out of them. I realize WR rookies have it tough in the NFL, especially on a bad team with awful QB play, but still.
I have to say, I love everything I read about Gregg Williams, and I think he's EXACTLY what the Browns defense needs to completely change its soft culture. Williams wasted no time jumping all up in our player's butt holes, and he will extract every ounce of talent those guys have. I have no disillusions about our offense, and I really do think we'll continue to struggle scoring points, but I wouldn't be surprised if our defense takes a huge step forward and keeps us in a few more games than people think. It's early...very early...but I'm predicting a 5-11 season. I know, I know...that sounds awful...and it is...but it would be a HUGE step forward. 5 wins this year, and maybe next year we can challenge for the wildcard. I also think we'll "be in a lot more games", and the 5 wins will be on the verge of being several more, but our youth will cause us to fall just short at the end of games.
-
I am excited about the Kizer pick.
Yeah so the guy threw some pick sixes in college. Big deal.He's got the size, arm strength, and the ability to extend plays and play in the AFCN.
I really can't wait to see him and Kess battle it out in camp/Preseason. Gonna be interesting to see who rises to the occasion.
-
Just really pleased to see a positive outlook, makes a change to those who usually shout loudest.
I am full of beer whisky and curry though so not much could make me be less than pleased right now
Just really pleased to see a positive outlook, makes a change to those who usually shout loudest.
I am full of beer whisky and curry though so not much could make me be less than pleased right now
Alcohol and curry. To me that reads: regurgitation.
-
I'm not saying the browns make the playoffs or even get above .500 this season.....
Why not?
Flame away negative nancys
Oh no, here come the orange and brown glasses BROWNS go 9-7 and shock the football world making the playoffs as a wild card.
@boo-fagley said:
I see what the Browns have done now. There was not a QB worthy a 1st round pick in their eyes. So, they loaded up on 3 first round impact players focusing on the defense. Taking Kizer in the 2nd is no pressure on the Browns or Kizer. The Browns can sit back and let Kizer develop and prove that he should be the starter. One way or another the Browns should have a very good idea who that have in Kizer by seasons end.
If Kizer shines and looks like the man, the Browns can move forward stocking the team with talent since they are loaded with high picks again. I Kizer does not look to be the man, this next draft is rumored to be loaded with QBs.
What did you do to get so smart during your little hiatus?
Why not? ===>
/////
||||||
\\\\\\
<==== Oh no, here come the orange and brown glasses BROWNS go 9-7 and shock the football world making the playoffs as a wild card.
lol... sudden wind change at the keyboard?
Not seeing updated odds, but back in Dec you could have gotten +500 on Kess being our 2018 starter.
-
@boo-fagley said:
I see what the Browns have done now. There was not a QB worthy a 1st round pick in their eyes. So, they loaded up on 3 first round impact players focusing on the defense. Taking Kizer in the 2nd is no pressure on the Browns or Kizer. The Browns can sit back and let Kizer develop and prove that he should be the starter. One way or another the Browns should have a very good idea who that have in Kizer by seasons end.
If Kizer shines and looks like the man, the Browns can move forward stocking the team with talent since they are loaded with high picks again. I Kizer does not look to be the man, this next draft is rumored to be loaded with QBs.
What did you do to get so smart during your little hiatus?
Why not? ===>
/////
||||||
\\\\\\
<==== Oh no, here come the orange and brown glasses BROWNS go 9-7 and shock the football world making the playoffs as a wild card.
lol... sudden wind change at the keyboard?
Not seeing updated odds, but back in Dec you could have gotten +500 on Kess being our 2018 starter.
-
It's pretty obvious his wife got tired of his dumbassery and took over his username.

Not sure 'bout that... It's not like the shift we see when your hunny takes over and words like "dumbassery" disappear...
BTW... loved the dryer story...
-
@boo-fagley said:
I see what the Browns have done now. There was not a QB worthy a 1st round pick in their eyes. So, they loaded up on 3 first round impact players focusing on the defense. Taking Kizer in the 2nd is no pressure on the Browns or Kizer. The Browns can sit back and let Kizer develop and prove that he should be the starter. One way or another the Browns should have a very good idea who that have in Kizer by seasons end.
If Kizer shines and looks like the man, the Browns can move forward stocking the team with talent since they are loaded with high picks again. I Kizer does not look to be the man, this next draft is rumored to be loaded with QBs.
What did you do to get so smart during your little hiatus?
Why not? ===>
/////
||||||
\\\\\\
<==== Oh no, here come the orange and brown glasses BROWNS go 9-7 and shock the football world making the playoffs as a wild card.
lol... sudden wind change at the keyboard?
Not seeing updated odds, but back in Dec you could have gotten +500 on Kess being our 2018 starter.
5/2/17 - Well since you sorta asked about future odds the BROWNS are +9' against the home opener vs Pissburgh.What did you do to get so smart during your little hiatus?
lol... sudden wind change at the keyboard?
Not seeing updated odds, but back in Dec you could have gotten +500 on Kess being our 2018 starter.
And the futures, I see they don't have the big 999:1 anymore but the BROWNS are 300:1 to win the Super Bowl and from vegasinsider.com :
ODDS TO WIN 2017-18 AFC CHAMPIONSHIP (1/21/18)
Team Odds
New England Patriots 21/10 <--- Tom Brady to be the MVP again!
Pittsburgh Steelers 7/1 <--- that team?
Houston Texans 17/2
Oakland Raiders 17/2 <--- the Raiders trying to clean up in Vegas already

Kansas City Chiefs 11/1
Denver Broncos 12/1
Indianapolis Colts 15/1
Baltimore Ravens 15/1 <--- the AFCN tough again?
Tennessee Titans 20/1
Cincinnati Bengals 25/1 <--- ?
Miami Dolphins 25/1
Jacksonville Jaguars 30/1
Los Angeles Chargers 35/1
Buffalo Bills 45/1
New York Jets 80/1
Cleveland Browns 150/1 <--- the biggest longshot by almost 2:1 over the Nyets
-
What...no Joe Thomas at LT??
-
If you believe the adage that the game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage, I think the Browns have shored up immense talent upgrades at both sides of the line and there is real potential for optimism there.
However, the team still lacks playmakers. No real QB. No #1 receiver. And a secondary that should only scare fans of the Cleveland Browns.
We have a long way to go yet before I'd be comfortable predicting a real turnaround.
-
The front seven upgrade can only help the secondary, it's a lot easier to cover guys back there when the receiver doesn't have 5-6 seconds to run around getting open
-
I agree London. I just think that helps the games be closer... not necessarily winning 'em for us.
Certainly cause for positivity. The Browns are actually strong in a couple of areas this year, which we haven't been able to claim for a while. But does it get us even six wins this year? I'm not confident.
-
1] Don't underestimate the value of our first decent K since Phil Dawson. That's at least another 2 wins right there..
2] If Alex Smith can get the Chiefs to the playoffs, Kessler can get the Browns to 5-11. Remember, the Chiefs [now] have a much worse starting line than Cleveland.. Chiefs were overall 14th [in PFF] last year with all their starters slightly above average.. the Lake Wobegone of OL's.
-
@boo-fagley said:
What hiatus?
The Browns let all the teams that needed a QB take them on day 1 then they went back to NE. The Browns were the last team with a definite need at a QB for the future. The Browns wanted Jimmy dont kid yourself, but they tried strong arming the Patriots to get Jimmy. I dont know what they offered, but it must have been a paltry sum.
Post draft, Sashi or Jackson said that they really liked Watson. If they really liked Watson then why did they trade with Houston and let them take him in a cutthroat league? The answer is that they didnt like him and are still playing everyone with smoke and mirrors.
Because they lie. They didn't really like Watson, but they won't say that. None of these QBs they passed on floated their boat: Wentz, Watson, Mahomes. They may have like Goff, but he was gone, and so was Trubisky. They were willing to take Kizer with a 2d rounder, and Kessler with a 3rd rounder....but I am of the opinion that they think neither is their "franchise" guy. They are just willing to roll with them at this point and see if they can catch a 7 instead of snake eyes.
Oh! And on Garropolo...they may have had some interest....with their #52 pick. Just like I said, I and apparently they were not willing to give up more than that for him. If they had made that deal, that would have been about right. NE/BB thinks they should have gotten more. Well, they didn't...and now, unless they make a reasonable trade, they will lose HIM to FA....just like all the other mediocre backup QBs they have had there.
-
@boo-fagley said:
The answer is that they didnt like him and are still playing everyone with smoke and mirrors.
Huejax guy with the highest upside was MaHolmes. KC burnt them moving up to #10(bills). Did we talk to Bills? probably, but not in KC's pick volume. Part 2 of a re-boot. Did Huejax get squeezed again at QB for picks? maybe. Watson clearly was not in picture. Proof--We gained a 1st at next years QB retaining ammo as we move to Houston's pick. Maholmes & Howard vs Kizer & Nujoku..enjoy
-
If you believe the adage that the game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage, I think the Browns have shored up immense talent upgrades at both sides of the line and there is real potential for optimism there.
However, the team still lacks playmakers. No real QB. No #1 receiver. And a secondary that should only scare fans of the Cleveland Browns.
We have a long way to go yet before I'd be comfortable predicting a real turnaround.
Huejax also said we were letting our QB come to us... an aproach the Bears' GM could learn from...
If you believe the adage that the game is won and lost at the line of scrimmage, I think the Browns have shored up immense talent upgrades at both sides of the line and there is real potential for optimism there.
However, the team still lacks playmakers. No real QB. No #1 receiver. And a secondary that should only scare fans of the Cleveland Browns.
We have a long way to go yet before I'd be comfortable predicting a real turnaround.Comfort levels vary...
There are no shortcuts. We are building methodically with high probability picks at impact positions. We shuffled our QB deck with two new cards. If after playing 16 hands this Fall we want to refreshen the deck, we are in a position to do so.
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login