Skip to content

Defensive report card

The Browns Board
18 10 484
  • Great post, Mud! Can't argue with any of it.

  • @tour2ma said:

    The bad news? Opponents will pass more. How effectively? That would seem to be up to how much pressure we can generate rushing four. That's a lotta "ask" of four men, but no one said it'd be easy.

    Thats my biggest concern.....(how well the DB's handle things)......but I suspect "good" QB'S will find the open receiver and beat the rush, more than they dont.....hope Im wrong.....

    @mudfly said:

    Thats my biggest concern.....(how well the DB's handle things)......but I suspect "good" QB'S will find the open receiver and beat the rush, more than they dont.....hope Im wrong.....

    My feeling is that Williams will have people coming at unexpected times from unexpected locations to add to the chaos that his front 4 should already be creating. Gonna be a fun season for defensive fans.

  • While I've no doubt about that, Ag... always a double edged sword.

  • While I've no doubt about that, Ag... always a double edged sword.

    @tour2ma said:

    While I've no doubt about that, Ag... always a double edged sword.

    I agree...overly aggressive defenses can make some big plays and pump up some sack #'s.....but they also tend to give up the most big plays......good QB's can usually beat them.....especially if there are no lockdown DB's protecting the top

    IE.....If you bring 7 or 8......the last 3 or 4 better play great!

  • The white board behind Gregg Williams. "No M-Fing Penalties"

    post-28000-0-00000600-1499187135_thumb.jpg

  • I just hope williams eases in garett. We have plenty of depth at that position

    @clevfan4life said:

    I just hope williams eases in garett. We have plenty of depth at that position

    Nope, turn the kid loose.

    With possible offensive woes, our D needs to play at a high level. They drafted him #1, no need to be conservative with him.

  • I have high hopes for Orchard this year. Moving back to his natiral DE position and has experience playing LB, which Williams seems to like, versatility.

    http://nyj.247sports.com/Page/100875/Contents/Orchard-called-Gregg-Williams-when-he-was-hired-53425771

    Article in that.

    Also didn't we land a UDFA FS that is supposed to be pretty good?

  • @clevfan4life said:

    I just hope williams eases in garett. We have plenty of depth at that position

    Nope, turn the kid loose.

    With possible offensive woes, our D needs to play at a high level. They drafted him #1, no need to be conservative with him.

    @bob806 said:

    Nope, turn the kid loose.

    .

    Yeah ur right, maybe he get some microfracture surgery or some shit like that. Id love that. Than we can wait 3 years fir him to come back fully from that ala clowney

  • The white board behind Gregg Williams. "No M-Fing Penalties"

    post-28000-0-00000600-1499187135_thumb.jpg

    @canton-dawg said:

    The white board behind Gregg Williams. "No M-Fing Penalties"

    attachicon.gifIMG_0149.JPG

    If he brings discipline with his rabid player pump, I will wear HIS jersey.

  • @tour2ma said:

    While I've no doubt about that, Ag... always a double edged sword.

    I agree...overly aggressive defenses can make some big plays and pump up some sack #'s.....but they also tend to give up the most big plays......good QB's can usually beat them.....especially if there are no lockdown DB's protecting the top

    IE.....If you bring 7 or 8......the last 3 or 4 better play great!

    @mudfly said:

    I agree...overly aggressive defenses can make some big plays and pump up some sack #'s.....but they also tend to give up the most big plays......good QB's can usually beat them.....especially if there are no lockdown DB's protecting the top

    IE.....If you bring 7 or 8......the last 3 or 4 better play great!

    Mud, I was a fan of Butch Davis because he believed in a defensive line that could destroy QBs without having to blitz. For a wee short time, before Courtney got hurt, it only lasted 3 or 4 games, maybe more, I can't remember, but pertty much the NFL was on high alert about out pass rush.

    I always make the comment that no 5 OL can block 8 men, but there is logic to that. The same kind of thing happens on D, if you can get pressure on a QB with only 4 guys, it leaves them having to dedicate a RB or TE to blocking, and it gives the LBs and secondary a chance to swarm.

    If we are being honest, modern rules make it difficult for DBs to cover WRs when the QB has too much time to pass. If one blitzes then of course there are less bodies to cover the receivers. I don't know about bringing Garrett on slow. What will that do? Is that like let's only go into the ocean 1/2 as much so we have less chance of a shark attack?

    If the guy is physically suspect, it only takes one play to cause a catastrophe. We didn't draft him to sit him on his ass. Conversely, if there is something physically he is dealing with, for fuck's sake, why can't these asshole NFL execs just give us the real story? I think Garrett is fine. Hell, you can twist an ankle trying to move one lesbian off of another one when shooting a movie.

  • @tour2ma said:

    While I've no doubt about that, Ag... always a double edged sword.

    I agree...overly aggressive defenses can make some big plays and pump up some sack #'s.....but they also tend to give up the most big plays......good QB's can usually beat them.....especially if there are no lockdown DB's protecting the top

    IE.....If you bring 7 or 8......the last 3 or 4 better play great!

    @mudfly said:

    I agree...overly aggressive defenses can make some big plays and pump up some sack #'s.....but they also tend to give up the most big plays......good QB's can usually beat them.....especially if there are no lockdown DB's protecting the top

    IE.....If you bring 7 or 8......the last 3 or 4 better play great!

    No need to bring 7 or 8 if you have a great front 4. Just adding one more at unexpected times from unexpected places can throw a monkey wrench into any offense if you already have a pressuring DL. Go back and watch Denver's SB win. That's how it's done. Cam couldn't read it fast enough to counter it. I really think the Browns are headed that direction and can hardly wait to see the results as we add better and better defenders to the team the next couple of years. And just listening to Williams' excitement in letting Garrett's play speak for itself gives great hope to that thought.

    And not only do I see Ogbah's play pick up, but can hardly wait to see a stronger, slimmer Danny function in the 4-3 instead of the 3-4. Add an athlete like Peppers and I'm just saying, this is gonna be fun!! 😁

  • The white board behind Gregg Williams. "No M-Fing Penalties"

    post-28000-0-00000600-1499187135_thumb.jpg

    No doubt on the direction, Ag, but the more you have to even bring a 5th man, the more susceptible you are to te big play. No better example than NYG who has twice beaten the Pats because they only needed to rush four.

    Plus it's how you bring that 5th man... I've bemoaned our inability to open "rush lanes" within our blitzes for years while opponents have created free runs at our QBs. Some of this is personnel (or lack thereof), but some was design. From what I have seen we now have a designer in charge of our D... and the promise of better personnel.

    @canton-dawg said:

    The white board behind Gregg Williams. "No M-Fing Penalties"

    The LAR Defense clearly did not get the message...

    Personally, I'll settle for "No Stupid Motherfucking Penalties".

  • No doubt on the direction, Ag, but the more you have to even bring a 5th man, the more susceptible you are to te big play. No better example than NYG who has twice beaten the Pats because they only needed to rush four.

    Plus it's how you bring that 5th man... I've bemoaned our inability to open "rush lanes" within our blitzes for years while opponents have created free runs at our QBs. Some of this is personnel (or lack thereof), but some was design. From what I have seen we now have a designer in charge of our D... and the promise of better personnel.

    @canton-dawg said:

    The white board behind Gregg Williams. "No M-Fing Penalties"

    The LAR Defense clearly did not get the message...

    Personally, I'll settle for "No Stupid Motherfucking Penalties".

    @tour2ma said:

    Plus it's how you bring that 5th man... I've bemoaned our inability to open "rush lanes" within our blitzes for years while opponents have created free runs at our QBs. Some of this is personnel (or lack thereof), but some was design. From what I have seen we now have a designer in charge of our D... and the promise of better personnel.

    Exactly, and that it what has me excited about the coming year defensively. No more running right to the pickup blocker and getting tied up immediately. As I said "unexpected times from unexpected places".