Skip to content

Gerbil Peppers Signs

The Browns Board
208 37 5.5k
  • @one-post said:

    I thought if a player doesn't sign then the team that drafted him gets the pick the next year.

    No way does that happen. If the guy does not sign, he can go back into the draft...and the team that drafted him is SOL.

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @the-gipper said:

    No way does that happen. If the guy does not sign, he can go back into the draft...and the team that drafted him is SOL.

    Yup it behooves both sides to get a deal done. The team doesn't want to effectively loose the pick, & the player doesn't want to loose a year of $$$. Don't think it's ever happened.

  • F Frenchie wrote on last edited by
    #27

    I'm already on record that Peppers is going to be a blown pick. I'll enjoy nothing more than eating my hat if I'm wrong. But seriously, you have a wonderful opportunity to pick an Ohio State safety that is projected to be a once in a decade stud, and you elect to trade down for a first rounder next year (likely a late one) and select a Michigan tweener that many projected to fall into the secondary round. That's not how you build a good football team.

  • LBC mikeL LBC mike wrote on last edited by
    #28

    Bosa didn't sign for a while. Happens with agents pulling the strings of signing

  • Bosa didn't sign for a while. Happens with agents pulling the strings of signing

    hoortaH hoorta wrote on last edited by
    #29

    @lbc-mike said:

    Bosa didn't sign for a while. Happens with agents pulling the strings of signing

    Just some agents apparently. If you want to go for the last nickel on a muli-million dollar deal- I'm your guy.

  • I'm already on record that Peppers is going to be a blown pick. I'll enjoy nothing more than eating my hat if I'm wrong. But seriously, you have a wonderful opportunity to pick an Ohio State safety that is projected to be a once in a decade stud, and you elect to trade down for a first rounder next year (likely a late one) and select a Michigan tweener that many projected to fall into the secondary round. That's not how you build a good football team.

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @frenchie said:

    I'm already on record that Peppers is going to be a blown pick. I'll enjoy nothing more than eating my hat if I'm wrong. But seriously, you have a wonderful opportunity to pick an Ohio State safety that is projected to be a once in a decade stud, and you elect to trade down for a first rounder next year (likely a late one) and select a Michigan tweener that many projected to fall into the secondary round. That's not how you build a good football team.

    Your logic makes sense, but let's hope you're wrong. Trading down has been our bread and butter lately ?
  • I'm already on record that Peppers is going to be a blown pick. I'll enjoy nothing more than eating my hat if I'm wrong. But seriously, you have a wonderful opportunity to pick an Ohio State safety that is projected to be a once in a decade stud, and you elect to trade down for a first rounder next year (likely a late one) and select a Michigan tweener that many projected to fall into the secondary round. That's not how you build a good football team.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #31

    @frenchie said:

    I'm already on record that Peppers is going to be a blown pick. I'll enjoy nothing more than eating my hat if I'm wrong. But seriously, you have a wonderful opportunity to pick an Ohio State safety that is projected to be a once in a decade stud, and you elect to trade down for a first rounder next year (likely a late one) and select a Michigan tweener that many projected to fall into the secondary round. That's not how you build a good football team.

    Yes, we could have paid more for a safety that's less versatile and that has bad shoulders. See how that works?

    I assume we'll never hear the end of the "we could have had Hooker!" stuff from the OSU fans here

  • @the-gipper said:

    No way does that happen. If the guy does not sign, he can go back into the draft...and the team that drafted him is SOL.

    Yup it behooves both sides to get a deal done. The team doesn't want to effectively loose the pick, & the player doesn't want to loose a year of $$$. Don't think it's ever happened.

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #32

    @hoorta said:

    Yup it behooves both sides to get a deal done. The team doesn't want to effectively loose the pick, & the player doesn't want to loose a year of $$$. Don't think it's ever happened.

    It happened to John Elway right?
  • @frenchie said:

    I'm already on record that Peppers is going to be a blown pick. I'll enjoy nothing more than eating my hat if I'm wrong. But seriously, you have a wonderful opportunity to pick an Ohio State safety that is projected to be a once in a decade stud, and you elect to trade down for a first rounder next year (likely a late one) and select a Michigan tweener that many projected to fall into the secondary round. That's not how you build a good football team.

    Yes, we could have paid more for a safety that's less versatile and that has bad shoulders. See how that works?

    I assume we'll never hear the end of the "we could have had Hooker!" stuff from the OSU fans here

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @mld-woody said:

    Yes, we could have paid more for a safety that's less versatile and that has bad shoulders. See how that works?

    I assume we'll never hear the end of the "we could have had Hooker!" stuff from the OSU fans here

    It will depend on how the two of them perform...will it not?

    Though...in some quarters I have heard an alternate, but similar version of your exclamatory statement that went like this:

    We could have Hookers"!

  • @hoorta said:

    Yup it behooves both sides to get a deal done. The team doesn't want to effectively loose the pick, & the player doesn't want to loose a year of $$$. Don't think it's ever happened.

    It happened to John Elway right?
    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #34

    @one-post said:

    It happened to John Elway right?

    No. Elway threatened it by saying he would play baseball and not signing with the Colts. (He and his dad and his agent wanted absolutely no part of Frank Kush or Robert Irsay).....instead he was traded...for Chris Hinton and other considerations.

    One of the best ESPN 30 for 30 stories was about the 1983 draft, focusing on the agent for both Marino and Elway. (it is a very self serving story for this guy....but the story is good):

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ta69v

  • @one-post said:

    It happened to John Elway right?

    No. Elway threatened it by saying he would play baseball and not signing with the Colts. (He and his dad and his agent wanted absolutely no part of Frank Kush or Robert Irsay).....instead he was traded...for Chris Hinton and other considerations.

    One of the best ESPN 30 for 30 stories was about the 1983 draft, focusing on the agent for both Marino and Elway. (it is a very self serving story for this guy....but the story is good):

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ta69v

    nickersN nickers wrote on last edited by
    #35

    @the-gipper said:

    No. Elway threatened it by saying he would play baseball and not signing with the Colts. (He and his dad and his agent wanted absolutely no part of Frank Kush or Robert Irsay).....instead he was traded...for Chris Hinton and other considerations.

    One of the best ESPN 30 for 30 stories was about the 1983 draft, focusing on the agent for both Marino and Elway. (it is a very self serving story for this guy....but the story is good):

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ta69v

    Seeing as how Bert Jones was mishandled.. I'd want no part either...

  • @the-gipper said:

    No. Elway threatened it by saying he would play baseball and not signing with the Colts. (He and his dad and his agent wanted absolutely no part of Frank Kush or Robert Irsay).....instead he was traded...for Chris Hinton and other considerations.

    One of the best ESPN 30 for 30 stories was about the 1983 draft, focusing on the agent for both Marino and Elway. (it is a very self serving story for this guy....but the story is good):

    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ta69v

    Seeing as how Bert Jones was mishandled.. I'd want no part either...

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #36

    @nickers said:

    Seeing as how Bert Jones was mishandled.. I'd want no part either...

    At heart I couldn't really blame Elway at all.....but...he did come off terribly arrogant over the matter. (and his agent comes off completely arrogant in that movie) And, of course Elway's obvious lies about it wanting to play in warm weather didn't help. Denver is warm but Baltimore wasn't? Bottom line: Elway made the right move.

    Also...of note if you watch that....the Browns did not have a first round pick that year when 6 QBs were taken.

  • @frenchie said:

    I'm already on record that Peppers is going to be a blown pick. I'll enjoy nothing more than eating my hat if I'm wrong. But seriously, you have a wonderful opportunity to pick an Ohio State safety that is projected to be a once in a decade stud, and you elect to trade down for a first rounder next year (likely a late one) and select a Michigan tweener that many projected to fall into the secondary round. That's not how you build a good football team.

    Yes, we could have paid more for a safety that's less versatile and that has bad shoulders. See how that works?

    I assume we'll never hear the end of the "we could have had Hooker!" stuff from the OSU fans here

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #37

    @mld-woody said:

    Yes, we could have paid more for a safety that's less versatile and that has bad shoulders. See how that works?

    I assume we'll never hear the end of the "we could have had Hooker!" stuff from the OSU fans here

    I lost a lot of my excitement and intrigue for Hooker when I found out he had a torn labrum. In fact, after only 1 season of starting at Ohio State - the wear and tear necessitated 2 off season surgeries.

    I love the Buckeyes and thought Hooker was exciting to watch. That said, he's going to be playing in space colliding with bigger, faster and stronger athletes. We weren't the only team that didn't want to take a risk on his injured flipper. For being a talent like him, he dropped all the way to #15 overall.

    Gruden had a very sensible take about Peppers. He said his experience as a LBer, Corner and Safety will come in handy for NFL DCs that need this kind of versatility for all of the different kinds of matchups their secondaries will face from 1 week to the next. My best friend who was an All Planet LBer back in the day with ideal instincts and football smarts is a School Up North fan who loves Peppers. When I dared to ask why he doesn't have very many INTs and if his height will be a liability - he told me "I don't want to hear your internet world according to Buckeye fans bs about him. I'm the one that has watched him every week, every year he played. He's the best player they've had since Woodson." Then I looked at how many awards he got for his performance and project what Gregg Williams can do with his talent. It's enough to get really excited about. Check it out:

    What's to hate?

  • @mld-woody said:

    Yes, we could have paid more for a safety that's less versatile and that has bad shoulders. See how that works?

    I assume we'll never hear the end of the "we could have had Hooker!" stuff from the OSU fans here

    I lost a lot of my excitement and intrigue for Hooker when I found out he had a torn labrum. In fact, after only 1 season of starting at Ohio State - the wear and tear necessitated 2 off season surgeries.

    I love the Buckeyes and thought Hooker was exciting to watch. That said, he's going to be playing in space colliding with bigger, faster and stronger athletes. We weren't the only team that didn't want to take a risk on his injured flipper. For being a talent like him, he dropped all the way to #15 overall.

    Gruden had a very sensible take about Peppers. He said his experience as a LBer, Corner and Safety will come in handy for NFL DCs that need this kind of versatility for all of the different kinds of matchups their secondaries will face from 1 week to the next. My best friend who was an All Planet LBer back in the day with ideal instincts and football smarts is a School Up North fan who loves Peppers. When I dared to ask why he doesn't have very many INTs and if his height will be a liability - he told me "I don't want to hear your internet world according to Buckeye fans bs about him. I'm the one that has watched him every week, every year he played. He's the best player they've had since Woodson." Then I looked at how many awards he got for his performance and project what Gregg Williams can do with his talent. It's enough to get really excited about. Check it out:

    What's to hate?

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @flugel said:

    I lost a lot of my excitement and intrigue for Hooker when I found out he had a torn labrum. In fact, after only 1 season of starting at Ohio State - the wear and tear necessitated 2 off season surgeries.

    I love the Buckeyes and thought Hooker was exciting to watch. That said, he's going to be playing in space colliding with bigger, faster and stronger athletes. We weren't the only team that didn't want to take a risk on his injured flipper. For being a talent like him, he dropped all the way to #15 overall.

    Gruden had a very sensible take about Peppers. He said his experience as a LBer, Corner and Safety will come in handy for NFL DCs that need this kind of versatility for all of the different kinds of matchups their secondaries will face from 1 week to the next. My best friend who was an All Planet LBer back in the day with ideal instincts and football smarts is a School Up North fan who loves Peppers. When I dared to ask why he doesn't have very many INTs and if his height will be a liability - he told me "I don't want to hear your internet world according to Buckeye fans bs about him. I'm the one that has watched him every week, every year he played. He's the best player they've had since Woodson." Then I looked at how many awards he got for his performance and project what Gregg Williams can do with it. It's enough to get really excited about.

    Still....no or few ints for his position could raise question mark about his ball skills....plus, his coverage skills have already been questioned. While he may be the best athlete since Jim Thorpe, in the NFL the whole jack of all trades, master of none may not work no matter how good of an athlete you are. Hopefully that will all prove to be negatory. But, until he actually does proves it, there may be reasons that he dropped from a projected top 10 to #26 that have nothing to do with diluted urine samples. Is he just a glorified kick returner? (not that that is not something the Browns need desperately).

    And he can't prove diddley if he doesn't sign and get into camp.

  • @flugel said:

    I lost a lot of my excitement and intrigue for Hooker when I found out he had a torn labrum. In fact, after only 1 season of starting at Ohio State - the wear and tear necessitated 2 off season surgeries.

    I love the Buckeyes and thought Hooker was exciting to watch. That said, he's going to be playing in space colliding with bigger, faster and stronger athletes. We weren't the only team that didn't want to take a risk on his injured flipper. For being a talent like him, he dropped all the way to #15 overall.

    Gruden had a very sensible take about Peppers. He said his experience as a LBer, Corner and Safety will come in handy for NFL DCs that need this kind of versatility for all of the different kinds of matchups their secondaries will face from 1 week to the next. My best friend who was an All Planet LBer back in the day with ideal instincts and football smarts is a School Up North fan who loves Peppers. When I dared to ask why he doesn't have very many INTs and if his height will be a liability - he told me "I don't want to hear your internet world according to Buckeye fans bs about him. I'm the one that has watched him every week, every year he played. He's the best player they've had since Woodson." Then I looked at how many awards he got for his performance and project what Gregg Williams can do with it. It's enough to get really excited about.

    Still....no or few ints for his position could raise question mark about his ball skills....plus, his coverage skills have already been questioned. While he may be the best athlete since Jim Thorpe, in the NFL the whole jack of all trades, master of none may not work no matter how good of an athlete you are. Hopefully that will all prove to be negatory. But, until he actually does proves it, there may be reasons that he dropped from a projected top 10 to #26 that have nothing to do with diluted urine samples. Is he just a glorified kick returner? (not that that is not something the Browns need desperately).

    And he can't prove diddley if he doesn't sign and get into camp.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #39

    @the-gipper said:

    Still....no or few ints for his position could raise question mark about his ball skills....plus, his coverage skills have already been questioned. Is he just a glorified kick returner? (not that that is not something the Browns need desperately).

    And he can't prove diddley if he doesn't sign and get into camp.

    It depends on how he was used. Fans in here questioned his coverage skills not to be confused with SB Winning HC Jon Gruden that praised what his instincts and flexible roles/experience at Michigan offers an NFL DC. How was Peppers the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year in 2016 if he's only a glorified kick returner? Come on - set the college rivalry aside here.

    Here's a link to short video that shows some good defense as well as what he offered his offense and STs.

    https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=tightropetb&p=youtube+of+jabril+Peppers#id=4&vid=b6d1166685ac81de15334d2483129186&action=view

  • B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #40

    I know it happens but don't like the look from a guy who's draft position is still in question.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #41

    Your Michigan fan friend is a little too fanatic. I'm not sure if he's our "best player since Woodson". That's a stretch.

    Yes, he won a ton of awards. First to win Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Special Teams Player of the Year.

    His height has nothing to do with his lack of INTs. His position and how he was used, does.

  • I know it happens but don't like the look from a guy who's draft position is still in question.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #42

    @baconhound said:

    I know it happens but don't like the look from a guy who's draft position is still in question.

    According to you

    Probably not to Williams

  • @baconhound said:

    I know it happens but don't like the look from a guy who's draft position is still in question.

    According to you

    Probably not to Williams

    B BaconHound wrote on last edited by
    #43

    @mld-woody said:

    According to you

    Probably not to Williams

    Others who know more football than me also share that opinion. I would hope the front office, head coach, defensive coordinator & position coaches all liked a player they selected in the first round. Then again that can be said of most first round draft choices.

  • bjh2130B bjh2130 wrote on last edited by bjh2130
    #44

    I honestly don't understand how he won defensive player of the year. Like if there were a most versatile player of the year absolutely he should win that. I'm worried he won't have a position in the pros. Here are his statistics and rankings just on Michigan's team in these statistics

    Total Tackles: 72, 3rd on Michigan

    Tackles for loss: 13, 4th on Michigan

    Sacks: 4, 8th on Michigan

    Interceptions: 1, tied for 8th on Michigan

    Passes broken up: 1, tied for 9th on Michigan

    Forced fumbles: 0, unranked on Michigan

    Fumble recoveries: 0, unranked on Michigan

    Defensive touchdowns: 0, unranked on Michigan

    My other concern with him is when he played better competition he disappeared even more so than the lackluster stats above.

    His production or lack thereof in Michigan's tilts vs. Penn State, vs. Wisconsin, at Iowa and at Ohio State:

    20 total tackles

    0 TFL

    0 sacks

    1 interception

    0 passes broken up

    0 forced fumbles

    0 fumble recoveries

    0 defensive TDs

    I'm rooting like hell for the guy to prove me wrong and show me he has a true defensive position and I trust Gregg Williams to put him in spots to succeed. As I said he was the most versatile player last year in college football and potentially ever. I personally would rather see him in the back field at running back. I know that's not what he wants but I think if he had played offense solely at Michigan and was strictly a running back he would have been a top ten pick. All in all I do not agree he was the best defensive player and worry he may not have a position but I'm fine we drafted him because of his versatility and even if he doesn't pan out as a safety/linebacker hybrid he will undoubtedly be a great returner and he has the skills to switch sides of the ball if he doesn't work out defensively. That's not saying he will definitely work out on the offensive side either but more chances to be great at something is always,a good thing.

  • Your Michigan fan friend is a little too fanatic. I'm not sure if he's our "best player since Woodson". That's a stretch.

    Yes, he won a ton of awards. First to win Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Special Teams Player of the Year.

    His height has nothing to do with his lack of INTs. His position and how he was used, does.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by Flugel
    #45

    @mld-woody said:

    Your Michigan fan friend is a little too fanatic. I'm not sure if he's our "best player since Woodson". That's a stretch. - Woody

    HA! Thatta boy! Yes, he can be every bit of a football patriot as many of us Buckeye fans you detest. I think he was coming from an angle that nobody else scored TDs from the QB position, RB position, defense, punt returner and kick off returner throughout their freshman and soph seasons. That's quite an impact coming from quite a talent . - Flugel

    Yes, he won a ton of awards. First to win Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and Special Teams Player of the Year. - Woody

    Thanks for making my friend's point even stronger. That's pretty decorated for just a sophomore. Speaking of stretches, you want me to believe you've really had others with this kind of immediate impact there since Woodson? Even Tom Brady didn't start until he was a junior that threw 14 TD passes to 10 INTs, which improved to 16 TD passes to 6 INTs as a senior. That made him a 6th round draft pick who ended up with much better passing statistics as an NFL starter. So what did his pedestrian college stats really mean to his pro career? Why can't the same be true for Peppers? - Flugel

    His height has nothing to do with his lack of INTs. - Woody

    I never said it did Woodsies. Height and INTs were 2 separate questions I had. I'm already wordy enough and didn't feel the height thing needed splainin. Since it does now, Tight Ends range from 6'3" to 6'7" in the NFL and when you factor in their longer levers - the catch radius can be a concern for Safeties/DBs under 6' in coverage.

    As for the lack of INTs, I just wondered if he lacked some coverage instincts in space. The reply I got was summed up similar to your explanation "it's because of how he was used." And that was clarified that it wasn't because of what Peppers lacked - it was because of the X-factor/advantage he added to matchups the coaching staff identified. Harbaugh's description was very similar. All that from a sophomore? Nice! All that said, film shows some evidence of stone hands or catches like Edward Scissorhands. - Flugel