Skip to content

Gerbil Peppers Signs

The Browns Board
208 37 5.5k
  • I remember when I read that Peppers had the same agent as Bosa, and I immediately knew it would be an issue. Even in this day where rookie contracts are virtually NEVER a problem, we all knew this would happen. Now we're in the middle on July and it doesn't look like there's any progress being made. Of course, he could sign it today for all we know, but we'll see. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL to see this go into August.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #53

    Until Peppers actually misses camp or a game, I guess he isnt hurting anything(except maybe his image/likability).....once he starts missing stuff, then it hurts him and the team......

    Personally, I'd prefer that he just did what 98% of draftees have already done.....just sign for the pre-determined amount and start earning that 4 year deal they all work toward.....

    I was hard on Bosa too(thought he was/is a prick)....but, in his defense, he did prove his worth once he signed and started playing....lets hope Peppers can do the same.....

    Until then.....to me.....he has 3 negative strikes:

    1) already at stage one in the league drug program

    2) last to sign a participation agreement

    3) last to sign a contract....

    Dont like any of it.....and now, you can add this weeks twitter comment laughing about our speculation on his contract, while he doesnt comment or offer an explanation.....(mocking the fans?).....way to win us over Gerbs.....

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Now we're in the middle on July and it doesn't look like there's any progress being made. Of course, he could sign it today for all we know, but we'll see. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL to see this go into August.

    Me either.....he's raising his own bar daily.....better be good.....damn good(in fact)

    @flugel said:

    Well, last year there were people posting the Chargers were the ones penny pinching - Not Bosa and agent. In fairness, they posted articles to back their pov.

    Our situation is a little different due to the fact we have 3 different 1st round picks we have to bottleneck into 1 rookie salary cap.

    Lots of us were all over Bosa and his dickish ways....before AND after the hold out.....OSU be damned....

    Sorry, but not understanding the bottleneck comment.....the money is there and the fact that we drafted 3 in the first has no effect on that what so ever.....

    @topdawg31 said:

    he's on the clock now.....

    So is your boy Trubs....Ill wait for your wrath on that one....(though, Ill guess he signs before Peppers does)

    So far......253 were drafted......245 have signed......So, the last 8 must be very very special.....

  • Until Peppers actually misses camp or a game, I guess he isnt hurting anything(except maybe his image/likability).....once he starts missing stuff, then it hurts him and the team......

    Personally, I'd prefer that he just did what 98% of draftees have already done.....just sign for the pre-determined amount and start earning that 4 year deal they all work toward.....

    I was hard on Bosa too(thought he was/is a prick)....but, in his defense, he did prove his worth once he signed and started playing....lets hope Peppers can do the same.....

    Until then.....to me.....he has 3 negative strikes:

    1) already at stage one in the league drug program

    2) last to sign a participation agreement

    3) last to sign a contract....

    Dont like any of it.....and now, you can add this weeks twitter comment laughing about our speculation on his contract, while he doesnt comment or offer an explanation.....(mocking the fans?).....way to win us over Gerbs.....

    @jiggins7919 said:

    Now we're in the middle on July and it doesn't look like there's any progress being made. Of course, he could sign it today for all we know, but we'll see. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL to see this go into August.

    Me either.....he's raising his own bar daily.....better be good.....damn good(in fact)

    @flugel said:

    Well, last year there were people posting the Chargers were the ones penny pinching - Not Bosa and agent. In fairness, they posted articles to back their pov.

    Our situation is a little different due to the fact we have 3 different 1st round picks we have to bottleneck into 1 rookie salary cap.

    Lots of us were all over Bosa and his dickish ways....before AND after the hold out.....OSU be damned....

    Sorry, but not understanding the bottleneck comment.....the money is there and the fact that we drafted 3 in the first has no effect on that what so ever.....

    @topdawg31 said:

    he's on the clock now.....

    So is your boy Trubs....Ill wait for your wrath on that one....(though, Ill guess he signs before Peppers does)

    So far......253 were drafted......245 have signed......So, the last 8 must be very very special.....

    TopDawg31T TopDawg31 wrote on last edited by
    #54

    @mudfly said:

    So is your boy Trubs....Ill wait for your wrath on that one....(though, Ill guess he signs before Peppers does)

    So far......253 were drafted......245 have signed......So, the last 8 must be very very special.....

    Not a Brown, don't really care anymore. We will all care though when he's leading his team to the playoffs, and Garrett is just another D lineman. I hope I'm wrong on Garrett but I don't think his stats will warrant passing on a franchise QB.

  • @mudfly said:

    So is your boy Trubs....Ill wait for your wrath on that one....(though, Ill guess he signs before Peppers does)

    So far......253 were drafted......245 have signed......So, the last 8 must be very very special.....

    Not a Brown, don't really care anymore. We will all care though when he's leading his team to the playoffs, and Garrett is just another D lineman. I hope I'm wrong on Garrett but I don't think his stats will warrant passing on a franchise QB.

    MudflyM Mudfly wrote on last edited by
    #55

    @topdawg31 said:

    Not a Brown, don't really care anymore. We will all care though when he's leading his team to the playoffs.

    Something tells me it'll be you caring if/when he does well....just a hunch.....

  • @topdawg31 said:

    Not a Brown, don't really care anymore. We will all care though when he's leading his team to the playoffs.

    Something tells me it'll be you caring if/when he does well....just a hunch.....

    TopDawg31T TopDawg31 wrote on last edited by
    #56

    @mudfly said:

    Something tells me it'll be you caring if/when he does well....just a hunch.....

    I should care, he and my son grew up together in Mentor sports. Just don't care that he's not signed, he will soon. Based on Peppers agent's track record, he won't be.

  • W Westside Steve wrote on last edited by Westside Steve
    #57

    Of course Trubisky is holding out on the shit eating Chicago Bears. Peckers is holding out against the saintly Cleveland Browns.

    WSS

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #58

    if he sucks let's all go to Woody's House with pitchforks and torches!!!

    AAAAARRRRGGHHH!!!

  • if he sucks let's all go to Woody's House with pitchforks and torches!!!

    AAAAARRRRGGHHH!!!

    One PostO One Post wrote on last edited by
    #59

    @miktoxic said:

    if he sucks let's all go to Woody's House with pitchforks and torches!!!

    AAAAARRRRGGHHH!!!

    Lol!!!
  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #60

    Shit I just got the house. It needs to last one season

  • @bjh2130 said:

    I'm just saying that there were guys more deserving of the best defensive player in the league. Tj watt for one. Doing things well doesn't make you the best. When I think of a defensive player of the year I think it should be a guy who impacted a big majority of the games he was in on the defensive side of the ball. Peppers impacted games more on special teams. And impacted games more on offense more frequently than he did defensively. I don't know if it was because he was trying to learn so many positions but he over ran a lot of plays and was out of position a lot. I do think he is an intelligent football player so I'm hoping concentrating on one position allows him to learn and eliminate some of those mistakes. I hope your advice to Gregg pays off and he is a stud.

    I don't think you watched any Michigan games. He barely did anything on offense. That was actually one of the fans biggest complaints last year, poor use of Peppers on O.

    His impact on D goes beyond stats. He caused offenses to completely change their game plan. He has a huge impact on D because he could impact an.offense from any position

    T TexasAg1969 wrote on last edited by
    #61

    @mld-woody said:

    His impact on D goes beyond stats. He caused offenses to completely change their game plan. He has a huge impact on D because he could impact an.offense from any position

    Exactly what he and Garrett have in common. It was not unusual for him to sometimes move inside to DT or even to come from the LDE spot just to throw a curveball that was unexpected. It usually confused the OL and led to a few big defensive plays. I had wished they would have done it more often than they did since he was usually at least double teamed coming from RDE.

  • @the-gipper said:

    Still....no or few ints for his position could raise question mark about his ball skills....plus, his coverage skills have already been questioned. Is he just a glorified kick returner? (not that that is not something the Browns need desperately).

    And he can't prove diddley if he doesn't sign and get into camp.

    It depends on how he was used. Fans in here questioned his coverage skills not to be confused with SB Winning HC Jon Gruden that praised what his instincts and flexible roles/experience at Michigan offers an NFL DC. How was Peppers the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year in 2016 if he's only a glorified kick returner? Come on - set the college rivalry aside here.

    Here's a link to short video that shows some good defense as well as what he offered his offense and STs.

    https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=tightropetb&p=youtube+of+jabril+Peppers#id=4&vid=b6d1166685ac81de15334d2483129186&action=view

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #62

    @flugel said:

    It depends on how he was used. Fans in here questioned his coverage skills not to be confused with SB Winning HC Jon Gruden that praised what his instincts and flexible roles/experience at Michigan offers an NFL DC. How was Peppers the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year in 2016 if he's only a glorified kick returner? Come on - set the college rivalry aside here.

    Here's a link to short video that shows some good defense as well as what he offered his offense and STs.

    https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=tightropetb&p=youtube+of+jabril+Peppers#id=4&vid=b6d1166685ac81de15334d2483129186&action=view

    The college rivalry is set aside. It was the Michigan man on here that said his coverage skills were questionable. And I am just relating the stats regarding his lack of INTs. And the other question is....being All American in college gets you diddley in the pros. He was a tweener in college. Can he convert to being quality at manning a single position? Or will that hybrid label translate? I would like to see it translate....and maybe Williams can get the best out of a hybrid player. I would like to see that..I think the Browns can use it......but he can't learn either or any roles sitting on the sideline.

  • @bjh2130 said:

    I'm just saying that there were guys more deserving of the best defensive player in the league. Tj watt for one. Doing things well doesn't make you the best. When I think of a defensive player of the year I think it should be a guy who impacted a big majority of the games he was in on the defensive side of the ball. Peppers impacted games more on special teams. And impacted games more on offense more frequently than he did defensively. I don't know if it was because he was trying to learn so many positions but he over ran a lot of plays and was out of position a lot. I do think he is an intelligent football player so I'm hoping concentrating on one position allows him to learn and eliminate some of those mistakes. I hope your advice to Gregg pays off and he is a stud.

    I don't think you watched any Michigan games. He barely did anything on offense. That was actually one of the fans biggest complaints last year, poor use of Peppers on O.

    His impact on D goes beyond stats. He caused offenses to completely change their game plan. He has a huge impact on D because he could impact an.offense from any position

    bjh2130B bjh2130 wrote on last edited by
    #63

    @mld-woody said:

    I don't think you watched any Michigan games. He barely did anything on offense. That was actually one of the fans biggest complaints last year, poor use of Peppers on O.

    His impact on D goes beyond stats. He caused offenses to completely change their game plan. He has a huge impact on D because he could impact an.offense from any position

    I watched almost every Michigan game. He impacted games early in the season on offense but then once teams figured out they never used him as a decoy and if he was in the game he was getting the ball. They keyed on him offensively and he quit impacting games because he touched the ball so rarely and teams knew he was getting it when he did touch it.

    Exactly my point he rarely impacted games on defense in my opinion. The way teams changed their gameplans were that they ran right at him because he ran himself out of plays

  • @jiggins7919 said:

    I remember when I read that Peppers had the same agent as Bosa, and I immediately knew it would be an issue. Even in this day where rookie contracts are virtually NEVER a problem, we all knew this would happen. Now we're in the middle on July and it doesn't look like there's any progress being made. Of course, he could sign it today for all we know, but we'll see. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL to see this go into August.

    Well, last year there were people posting the Chargers were the ones penny pinching - Not Bosa and agent. In fairness, they posted articles to back their pov.

    Our situation is a little different due to the fact we have 3 different 1st round picks we have to bottleneck into 1 rookie salary cap. On top of that, Peppers didn't go to Ohio State while the 1 year starter (Hooker) with a torn labrum and hernia (both requiring surgery) did go to Ohio State. This isn't aimed at you Jiggsies. Gee, why would a torn labrum for a Safety playing in space that will be repeatedly colliding with bigger, faster stronger players be worthy of us not picking at #12 overall; especially when there's already people expressing concerns about a slow healing ankle injury + a foot injury (on the same leg) of our #1 overall pick?

    Nobody picked Hooker before #12 or at #12 or at #13 or #14 so let's not pretend this was the only team seeing a red flag with the shoulder. What do some fans know that NFL sports med staffs couldn't possibly understand? Reuben Foster went even later at #31 overall due to a shoulder injury that required reconstructive surgery with rumors he may need another surgery. Yeah, a team with our luck in round 1 should just blow these injuries off. That'll go over like a fart in church...

    Even an Andy Katzenmoyer drafted by Belichick can have a very short career if he has a certain injury that will not be able to withstand NFL physics. Beginning NFL careers with neck or shoulder injuries can have a bigger say in career length than talent. I still remember us taking Christian Kirksey (#71 overall) ahead of Wisconsin's Chris Borland (#77 overall). While Borland might have jetted off to a better start - his volume of concussions that began before SF cut his career real short. You HAVE to look at the medical (and wear and tear) of prospects coming out today.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #64

    Thus the basis for his negotiating position...

    If folks think you are the perfect player for your DC's signature scheme, then you are going to use that to full advantage.

    Here's my prediction: If Peppers is still holding out at the start of Camp, then early and often yo can expect to hear Williams lauding a DB who is in Camp filling "the Peppers role".

    @flugel said:

    Well, last year there were people posting the Chargers were the ones penny pinching - Not Bosa and agent.

    Since the issue between Bosa and SD was "offset" language, which only comes into play should the rookie depart (a/k/a "bust") prior to the end of his contract, I have a little trouble with that characterization. If I owned a team, then I know I would be reluctant to pay a player to play against me.

    @topdawg31 said:

    We will all care though when he's leading his team to the playoffs, and Garrett is just another D lineman. I hope I'm wrong on Garrett but I don't think his stats will warrant passing on a franchise QB.

    Not if we land our own "Franchise" QB in the meantime...

    And if the Bears making the playoffs with Mitch at the wheel is the measure, we should have at least three years to land one.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #65

    He impacted the Rutgers game on Offense because Harbaugh let him get stats for his homecoming.

    You're free to have the opinion he didn't impact games on D. Sure, basically every major college football voting and awards group disagrees with you, but you can have that opinion.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by The Gipper
    #66

    I think someone said that Peppers was the best defensive player in the Big Ten. How does one make that determination?

    By whatever awards are issued?

    (were those listed above I believe)

    Or by who gets drafted by the NFL first?

    (3 other Big Ten defenders were taken before Peppers....all OSU DBs!)

    Pure stats?

    Simple quantification doesn't tell whole story.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #67

    alumnists.

  • Thus the basis for his negotiating position...

    If folks think you are the perfect player for your DC's signature scheme, then you are going to use that to full advantage.

    Here's my prediction: If Peppers is still holding out at the start of Camp, then early and often yo can expect to hear Williams lauding a DB who is in Camp filling "the Peppers role".

    @flugel said:

    Well, last year there were people posting the Chargers were the ones penny pinching - Not Bosa and agent.

    Since the issue between Bosa and SD was "offset" language, which only comes into play should the rookie depart (a/k/a "bust") prior to the end of his contract, I have a little trouble with that characterization. If I owned a team, then I know I would be reluctant to pay a player to play against me.

    @topdawg31 said:

    We will all care though when he's leading his team to the playoffs, and Garrett is just another D lineman. I hope I'm wrong on Garrett but I don't think his stats will warrant passing on a franchise QB.

    Not if we land our own "Franchise" QB in the meantime...

    And if the Bears making the playoffs with Mitch at the wheel is the measure, we should have at least three years to land one.

    gumby73G gumby73 wrote on last edited by gumby73
    #68

    @tour2ma said:

    Here's my prediction: If Peppers is still holding out at the start of Camp, then early and often yo can expect to hear Williams lauding a DB who is in Camp filling "the Peppers role".

    Agreed,But from what I hear the first week of Browns camp the Injured & Rookies,UDFA are the only ones permitted to show up 1st week.Physicals & Rookies wet feet.2nd week rest of herd come in? I just got a hunch Peppers will be on paper day 1..agents push & shove--T minus 7 days

  • alumnists.

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #69

    @miktoxic said:

    alumnists.

    Makes sense to me

  • alumnists.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #70

    @miktoxic said:

    alumnists.

    Is that anything like communists?

  • @miktoxic said:

    alumnists.

    Is that anything like communists?

    ComeonmanC Comeonman wrote on last edited by
    #71

    @the-gipper said:

    Is that anything like communists?

    better than nihilists
  • Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #72

    alluminati...