Gerbil Peppers Signs
-
I'm just saying that there were guys more deserving of the best defensive player in the league. Tj watt for one. Doing things well doesn't make you the best. When I think of a defensive player of the year I think it should be a guy who impacted a big majority of the games he was in on the defensive side of the ball. Peppers impacted games more on special teams. And impacted games more on offense more frequently than he did defensively. I don't know if it was because he was trying to learn so many positions but he over ran a lot of plays and was out of position a lot. I do think he is an intelligent football player so I'm hoping concentrating on one position allows him to learn and eliminate some of those mistakes. I hope your advice to Gregg pays off and he is a stud.
I don't think you watched any Michigan games. He barely did anything on offense. That was actually one of the fans biggest complaints last year, poor use of Peppers on O.
His impact on D goes beyond stats. He caused offenses to completely change their game plan. He has a huge impact on D because he could impact an.offense from any position
I don't think you watched any Michigan games. He barely did anything on offense. That was actually one of the fans biggest complaints last year, poor use of Peppers on O.
His impact on D goes beyond stats. He caused offenses to completely change their game plan. He has a huge impact on D because he could impact an.offense from any position
I watched almost every Michigan game. He impacted games early in the season on offense but then once teams figured out they never used him as a decoy and if he was in the game he was getting the ball. They keyed on him offensively and he quit impacting games because he touched the ball so rarely and teams knew he was getting it when he did touch it.
Exactly my point he rarely impacted games on defense in my opinion. The way teams changed their gameplans were that they ran right at him because he ran himself out of plays
-
I remember when I read that Peppers had the same agent as Bosa, and I immediately knew it would be an issue. Even in this day where rookie contracts are virtually NEVER a problem, we all knew this would happen. Now we're in the middle on July and it doesn't look like there's any progress being made. Of course, he could sign it today for all we know, but we'll see. It wouldn't surprise me AT ALL to see this go into August.
Well, last year there were people posting the Chargers were the ones penny pinching - Not Bosa and agent. In fairness, they posted articles to back their pov.
Our situation is a little different due to the fact we have 3 different 1st round picks we have to bottleneck into 1 rookie salary cap. On top of that, Peppers didn't go to Ohio State while the 1 year starter (Hooker) with a torn labrum and hernia (both requiring surgery) did go to Ohio State. This isn't aimed at you Jiggsies. Gee, why would a torn labrum for a Safety playing in space that will be repeatedly colliding with bigger, faster stronger players be worthy of us not picking at #12 overall; especially when there's already people expressing concerns about a slow healing ankle injury + a foot injury (on the same leg) of our #1 overall pick?
Nobody picked Hooker before #12 or at #12 or at #13 or #14 so let's not pretend this was the only team seeing a red flag with the shoulder. What do some fans know that NFL sports med staffs couldn't possibly understand? Reuben Foster went even later at #31 overall due to a shoulder injury that required reconstructive surgery with rumors he may need another surgery. Yeah, a team with our luck in round 1 should just blow these injuries off. That'll go over like a fart in church...
Even an Andy Katzenmoyer drafted by Belichick can have a very short career if he has a certain injury that will not be able to withstand NFL physics. Beginning NFL careers with neck or shoulder injuries can have a bigger say in career length than talent. I still remember us taking Christian Kirksey (#71 overall) ahead of Wisconsin's Chris Borland (#77 overall). While Borland might have jetted off to a better start - his volume of concussions that began before SF cut his career real short. You HAVE to look at the medical (and wear and tear) of prospects coming out today.
Thus the basis for his negotiating position...
If folks think you are the perfect player for your DC's signature scheme, then you are going to use that to full advantage.
Here's my prediction: If Peppers is still holding out at the start of Camp, then early and often yo can expect to hear Williams lauding a DB who is in Camp filling "the Peppers role".
Well, last year there were people posting the Chargers were the ones penny pinching - Not Bosa and agent.
Since the issue between Bosa and SD was "offset" language, which only comes into play should the rookie depart (a/k/a "bust") prior to the end of his contract, I have a little trouble with that characterization. If I owned a team, then I know I would be reluctant to pay a player to play against me.
We will all care though when he's leading his team to the playoffs, and Garrett is just another D lineman. I hope I'm wrong on Garrett but I don't think his stats will warrant passing on a franchise QB.
Not if we land our own "Franchise" QB in the meantime...
And if the Bears making the playoffs with Mitch at the wheel is the measure, we should have at least three years to land one.
-
He impacted the Rutgers game on Offense because Harbaugh let him get stats for his homecoming.
You're free to have the opinion he didn't impact games on D. Sure, basically every major college football voting and awards group disagrees with you, but you can have that opinion.
-
I think someone said that Peppers was the best defensive player in the Big Ten. How does one make that determination?
By whatever awards are issued?
(were those listed above I believe)
Or by who gets drafted by the NFL first?
(3 other Big Ten defenders were taken before Peppers....all OSU DBs!)
Pure stats?
Simple quantification doesn't tell whole story.
-
alumnists.
-
Thus the basis for his negotiating position...
If folks think you are the perfect player for your DC's signature scheme, then you are going to use that to full advantage.
Here's my prediction: If Peppers is still holding out at the start of Camp, then early and often yo can expect to hear Williams lauding a DB who is in Camp filling "the Peppers role".
Well, last year there were people posting the Chargers were the ones penny pinching - Not Bosa and agent.
Since the issue between Bosa and SD was "offset" language, which only comes into play should the rookie depart (a/k/a "bust") prior to the end of his contract, I have a little trouble with that characterization. If I owned a team, then I know I would be reluctant to pay a player to play against me.
We will all care though when he's leading his team to the playoffs, and Garrett is just another D lineman. I hope I'm wrong on Garrett but I don't think his stats will warrant passing on a franchise QB.
Not if we land our own "Franchise" QB in the meantime...
And if the Bears making the playoffs with Mitch at the wheel is the measure, we should have at least three years to land one.
Here's my prediction: If Peppers is still holding out at the start of Camp, then early and often yo can expect to hear Williams lauding a DB who is in Camp filling "the Peppers role".
Agreed,But from what I hear the first week of Browns camp the Injured & Rookies,UDFA are the only ones permitted to show up 1st week.Physicals & Rookies wet feet.2nd week rest of herd come in? I just got a hunch Peppers will be on paper day 1..agents push & shove--T minus 7 days
-
-
-
better than nihilistsIs that anything like communists?
-
better than nihilistsIs that anything like communists?
better than nihilists
More presentable than nudists
-
better than nihilists
More presentable than nudists
-
I like Peppers.
I think he can be a great player for us.
I don't care that he played for Michigan. It's stupid that anyone does.
If he holds out more than 1 practice day, I am going to question his decision making.
-
It's 7/19/17 and I don't believe I've heard an update on Peppers' contract situation. I also don't think I've heard anything about Conley's, who might have to sign his before Peppers does his. I honestly thought this charade was completely over...it really pisses me off.
Out of everyone, he's probably the one defender that can't afford to miss any time. Now, regarding him as a player, I think he will be a productive asset in the right system and with the right coach, and lucky for us, I believe he has both with the Browns. Look at how Gregg Williams previously used a safety named Barron at St. Louis, and that's how many envision our team using Peppers (I'll see if I can find an article discussing it to further the point). Peppers will also be an instant upgrade from anything we had on special teams, and I like his fiery attitude.
All that being said, we all knew this was going to be an issue when he chose his agent, so I'm just hoping it works out like it did for Bosa (albeit EARLIER!) and Peppers has a monster season. I wouldn't bet on it per say...but I'm allowed to dream.
-
Below is the article discussing how Gregg Williams utilized Mark Barron while with the Rams. It's very encouraging if you're a fan wondering how Peppers fits in with our plans, and probably goes a long way into explaining why we drafted him in the first place. Add in his value on special teams, and the pick really makes sense. Some analysts gave us an "F" for drafting the kid, and I don't think that's going to be accurate come late this season.
The Rams made a puzzling move before last year’s NFL trade deadline.
General manager Les Snead sent fourth- and sixth-round picks to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for safety Mark Barron.
Skeptics asked many questions about this deal. Why pay a premium for still another safety when the team already had T.J. McDonald and Rodney McLeod?
Why add a safety with middling pass coverage skills to a secondary that struggled to defend deep throws? Why not use those picks to add needed offensive help instead?
One year later that trade looks brilliant. Barron, the seventh pick in the 2012 draft, has become one of the MVPs of an elite NFL defense.
He is a hard-hitting safety-linebacker hybrid who makes plays all over the field. He is a prototype Jeff Fisher defender, a vigorous tackler who hunts footballs and disrupts offenses.
Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams keeps finding new ways to use him, particularly in the absence of weakside linebacker Alec Ogletree.
“To me I’m just playing football,” Barron said after helping lead the Rams to their 27-6 demolition of the 49ers on Sunday at the Edward Jones Dome. “In my mind we’re just playing with three safeties on the field. I just line up in a different area and play it from there. It’s not hard. I just line up and play football.
“As long as I know my responsibilities you can line me up in a lot of different places and I can get the job done.”
A two-play sequence Sunday captured Barron’s essence. First he broke up a deep pass down the left sideline to tight end Vernon Davis, running stride for stride with him.
When the 49ers ran Mike Davis to the right side on the next play, Barron was there, too, knifing into the backfield to dump him for a loss.
“I like to be able to make plays all over the field,” Barron said. “That’s always been pretty much how I like to play the game. I like to be all over the field. With some of the things we’re doing, watch the film, you’ll see me lined up all over the place. That’s just being able to be versatile.”
He didn’t fit into Lovie Smith’s scheme with the Buccaneers, since the “Tampa-2” defense deploys its safeties deep and stresses coverage skills. Barron is best used closer to the line of scrimmage, where he can cream people.
The so-called box safety has fallen out of favor with some coordinators, since many NFL offenses have become pass-happy. But Williams saw Barron as the perfect fit for certain looks he uses to apply pressure.
“I’ve always had a three-safety package,” Williams said after Friday’s practice. “I’ve always had a package where we play a safety like a linebacker, but also have to play him like a safety and sometimes like corner.”
-
I think someone said that Peppers was the best defensive player in the Big Ten. How does one make that determination?
By whatever awards are issued?
(were those listed above I believe)
Or by who gets drafted by the NFL first?
(3 other Big Ten defenders were taken before Peppers....all OSU DBs!)
Pure stats?
Simple quantification doesn't tell whole story.
I think someone said that Peppers was the best defensive player in the Big Ten. How does one make that determination?
One does not make that determination. The Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year is determined by Coaches and a select group of media covering football in the Big 10.
How many Big 10 teams/coaches had to prepare for Michigan? Do they use game film to figure out tendencies as well as how specific personnel is used in various situations? During and after they play Michigan, don't the same coaches evaluate how well they've done in the matchups they prepared for? I think they're a better judge of his talent/impact than fans that have seen far less of him..
Michigan had the most players drafted of any college football team in the 2017 draft. Doesn't that tell you somebody is preparing their personnel for the pro game reasonably well? It told NFL teams that. Michigan gave Peppers experience at Corner, Safety and LBer as a Fresh & Soph, which Jon Gruden called ideal for all the different matchups an NFL DC has to prepare for from week to week. Today, he is a first round pick even though someone will pipe in to tell me Hooker was drafted higher. When we were at #12 - we liked our trade down value more than we liked the injuries to Hooker. Therefore, our situation doesn't say we chose Hooker over Peppers. Different teams make different grocery lists.
-
It's 7/19/17 and I don't believe I've heard an update on Peppers' contract situation. I also don't think I've heard anything about Conley's, who might have to sign his before Peppers does his. I honestly thought this charade was completely over...it really pisses me off.
Out of everyone, he's probably the one defender that can't afford to miss any time. Now, regarding him as a player, I think he will be a productive asset in the right system and with the right coach, and lucky for us, I believe he has both with the Browns. Look at how Gregg Williams previously used a safety named Barron at St. Louis, and that's how many envision our team using Peppers (I'll see if I can find an article discussing it to further the point). Peppers will also be an instant upgrade from anything we had on special teams, and I like his fiery attitude.
All that being said, we all knew this was going to be an issue when he chose his agent, so I'm just hoping it works out like it did for Bosa (albeit EARLIER!) and Peppers has a monster season. I wouldn't bet on it per say...but I'm allowed to dream.
It's 7/19/17 and I don't believe I've heard an update on Peppers' contract situation. I also don't think I've heard anything about Conley's, who might have to sign his before Peppers does his. I honestly thought this charade was completely over...it really pisses me off.
Out of everyone, he's probably the one defender that can't afford to miss any time. Now, regarding him as a player, I think he will be a productive asset in the right system and with the right coach, and lucky for us, I believe he has both with the Browns. Look at how Gregg Williams previously used a safety named Barron at St. Louis, and that's how many envision our team using Peppers (I'll see if I can find an article discussing it to further the point). Peppers will also be an instant upgrade from anything we had on special teams, and I like his fiery attitude.
All that being said, we all knew this was going to be an issue when he chose his agent, so I'm just hoping it works out like it did for Bosa (albeit EARLIER!) and Peppers has a monster season. I wouldn't bet on it per say...but I'm allowed to dream.
Bosa was drafted 3rd overall as opposed to the back 3rd of the first round; so I sincerely hope we don't let it linger as long as SD allowed it to. But my hope has been misguided before Jiggsies.
BTW, Gregg Williams turned CB Malcolm Jenkins into a Free Safety in New Orleans in just his 2nd NFL season in 2010. The transition went well enough to earn Jenkins Second-team All Pro honors. Gregg Williams also coached Safety Sean Taylor to 2 Pro Bowls in Washington in 2006 and 2007. At the very least, we can say Williams has had some good luck with getting excellent productivity out of the Safeties he has coached.
-
better than nihilistsIs that anything like communists?
better than nihilists
Per one commentator....even Nazis are better:
-
-
better than nihilists
More presentable than nudists
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login
