Skip to content

This is not a thread: I just want to know why The Browns let Terrelle Pryor Go?

The Browns Board
44 21 1.4k
  • @hoorta said:

    "Like in college- he knew he was breaking rules, but it was all about HIM. Too bad." Cal

    You're allowed that because you're not a big OSU fan. Pyror got Jim Tressell fired covering up for his antics...

    http://www.espn.com/college-football/news/story?id=5950873

    Tressel got himself fired lying to the NCAA

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #21

    @mld-woody said:

    Tressel got himself fired lying to the NCAA

    I hear that's now the new UM motto. 😆

  • mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #22

    @boo-fagley said:

    Shame too because he is a really good HC.

    I cant believe that he is not back coaching someplace.

    He's got a better gig for now, president of YSU and got old Youngstown friend Bo Pelini to run the football team and get them to the National Championship Game in year TWO.

    ....largely due to the fact that Nebraska owed Bo $7+M upon leaving in payments of $150K+/month. 😉

  • 3 observations....or opinions.....

    1) looks like a thread to me.....

    2) Pryor is and has always been a doofus....

    3) Redskins have a couple of Quick WR's....

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #23

    @mudfly said:

    3) Redskins have a couple of Quick WR's....

    I see what you did there...

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #24

    As far as I am concerned...Pryor is out of sight and out of mind....unless we are now talking about Calvin Pryor.

  • As far as I am concerned...Pryor is out of sight and out of mind....unless we are now talking about Calvin Pryor.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #25

    @the-gipper said:

    As far as I am concerned...Pryor is out of sight and out of mind....unless we are now talking about Calvin Pryor.

    ....or Richard Pryor, now he was cool.

  • @the-gipper said:

    As far as I am concerned...Pryor is out of sight and out of mind....unless we are now talking about Calvin Pryor.

    ....or Richard Pryor, now he was cool.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #26

    @mjp28 said:

    ....or Richard Pryor, now he was cool.

    Dead Honky.

  • miktoxicM miktoxic wrote on last edited by
    #27

    sad jim brown had to knock down his door and wrestle the crack pipe out of his hand.....

    and then there's michigan. lovely state. hated nemesis. (not hated but......)

  • @mld-woody said:

    Tressel got himself fired lying to the NCAA

    I hear that's now the new UM motto. 😆

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #28

    @mjp28 said:

    I hear that's now the new UM motto. 😆

    Ok. No I'm just telling you he wasn't fired because of what Pryor did. He was fired for lying to the NCAA about. Even OSU couldn't spin that. And with everything we know Tressel did, and with what he was allegedly doing, I'd say OSU got off very easy.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Shame too because he is a really good HC.

    I cant believe that he is not back coaching someplace.

    He is a very good HC. Did some shady stuff, but good at winning games. Kind of like Saban. Though, I'd wonder if the game would have eventually passed him by if he stayed at OSU. Suffering one year of Fickel to get Meyer was definitely a better result.

    Also, Tressel had a 5 year show-cause penalty levied against him by the NCAA, so no school was going to touch him during that time.

  • W wargograw wrote on last edited by
    #29

    The Tressel-Meyer move was the college version of Favre-Rodgers.

  • It really doesn't make sense, especially in the NFL where career ending injuries can happen at any time. Pryor essentially turned down the deal Britt gladly received ($8 mill a year or so). His agent thought he could get much more, and he's an idiot. Pryor is in his mid to late 20's, and he's not going to get another big payday like this one, so he's basically betting on himself. Honestly, it doesn't make sense. I can't remember the last time I saw something like this.

    FlugelF Flugel wrote on last edited by
    #30

    @jiggins7919 said:

    It really doesn't make sense, especially in the NFL where career ending injuries can happen at any time. Pryor essentially turned down the deal Britt gladly received ($8 mill a year or so). His agent thought he could get much more, and he's an idiot. Pryor is in his mid to late 20's, and he's not going to get another big payday like this one, so he's basically betting on himself. Honestly, it doesn't make sense. I can't remember the last time I saw something like this.

    Again, the only Head Coach in the NFL that was willing to START Pryor at WR in a regular season game was Hue in 2016. After trying out here in 2015, Pryor was unemployed for all of that regular season except the final 3 games (he got very little game experience in).

    He and his agent overrated his market value - while it looked like Sashi did not.

    Pryor is betting on himself again; but he's going to a place that has a lot of openings at WR with a veteran QB that threw 25 TD passes (with over 4900 yards passing). What's interesting here is Pierre Garcon had very similar numbers to Pryor in 2016 with 79 rec 1041 yds and 3 TDs. It looks like he can replace and upgrade that. Even if he's turning 29 years old, Pryor doesn't have nearly as much mileage/wear and tear as other WRs his age.

    Because Sashi remained more aware of market values than Pryor's agent, he was prepared to take the Kenny Britt who just had the highest reception volume of his NFL career, exceeded 1000 yards receiving and had 1 more TD reception than Pryor. Timing is everything. Britt was a first round talent; but he liked to party like Josh Gordon very early on in the career here in Nashville. Gordon was a Pro Bowl talent that would have been a 1st round pick if he didn't get kicked off Baylor's team twice for the same thing. Gordon is almost the same age as Britt. I would think the guy who has already turned the corner could be a good built-in support/peer influence for Gordon (if the unthinkable ever unfolds via getting his talent back out on the field). Maybe Sashi also had this in mind?

    Right now - there's not a lot of warm fuzzies about the WR Corps. If Gordon does comes back this year - we could be looking at this as our WR Corps:

    Britt

    Gordon

    Coleman

    Higgins

    Hall

    Payton/Louis

    +

    TE

    Njoku

    DeValve

    TBD

    We're long overdue for some good luck for a refreshing change.

  • jrb12711J jrb12711 wrote on last edited by
    #31

    You know, reflecting on this one thing I've thought about is how great franchises like the steelers, patriots, etc operate. One thing they are known for amongst others is NOT overpaying for a free agent on the team. To keep TP on the Browns meant paying him a shit ton of money he wasn't worth, plain and simple. I don't care how much cap space we had, it would have been a bad financial decision to keep the guy at what he wanted. History has shown this is a strong strategy to have as a front office as it sets a precedent for other guys.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #32

    Believe me, you don't have to tell me that Meyer wasn't Mr Clean at Florida. That team had more trouble with the law than any other in the nation. He got out of dodge right as he was losing control

  • @mjp28 said:

    I hear that's now the new UM motto. 😆

    Ok. No I'm just telling you he wasn't fired because of what Pryor did. He was fired for lying to the NCAA about. Even OSU couldn't spin that. And with everything we know Tressel did, and with what he was allegedly doing, I'd say OSU got off very easy.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Shame too because he is a really good HC.

    I cant believe that he is not back coaching someplace.

    He is a very good HC. Did some shady stuff, but good at winning games. Kind of like Saban. Though, I'd wonder if the game would have eventually passed him by if he stayed at OSU. Suffering one year of Fickel to get Meyer was definitely a better result.

    Also, Tressel had a 5 year show-cause penalty levied against him by the NCAA, so no school was going to touch him during that time.

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #33

    @mld-woody said:

    Ok. No I'm just telling you he wasn't fired because of what Pryor did. He was fired for lying to the NCAA about. Even OSU couldn't spin that. And with everything we know Tressel did, and with what he was allegedly doing, I'd say OSU got off very easy.

    He didn't rat on his players....yes, that got him in trouble. Anything else is just wishful thinking on your part....and miniscule compared to the corruption associated with FMU.

  • The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #34

    Also, Tressel had a 5 year show-cause penalty levied against him by the NCAA, so no school was going to touch him during that time.

    Of those 5 years, Tressel spent a year with the Colts, and I think he did not care about the NFL game....so for three years he worked as the head of development at Akron U, and I think during that time he decided to go to bigger and better things in his life than coaching football. He WAS considered for the Presidency of the University of Akron, but because he did not have a doctorate he was not accepted as a candidate. However, Youngstown State was willing to over look that. He has now been the President of YSU for about 3 1/2 years. His 5 year penalty has been long over, and he could get back into coaching if he wanted....and numerous big time programs would accept him if he were interested. But he is no longer interested in that.

  • MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #35

    I was talking about right after he was fired. No one would have touched him then because of the penalty.

    Baylor coaches didn't "rat on their players". PSU officials didn't "rat on Sandusky". Right? Or, ya know, we could call it lying to the NCAA.

    Not wishful thinking. All just documented and alleged actions. Starting back at YSU. All things considered, OSU got off very well. Almost to the level of an SEC school. Almost

  • @mjp28 said:

    I hear that's now the new UM motto. 😆

    Ok. No I'm just telling you he wasn't fired because of what Pryor did. He was fired for lying to the NCAA about. Even OSU couldn't spin that. And with everything we know Tressel did, and with what he was allegedly doing, I'd say OSU got off very easy.

    @boo-fagley said:

    Shame too because he is a really good HC.

    I cant believe that he is not back coaching someplace.

    He is a very good HC. Did some shady stuff, but good at winning games. Kind of like Saban. Though, I'd wonder if the game would have eventually passed him by if he stayed at OSU. Suffering one year of Fickel to get Meyer was definitely a better result.

    Also, Tressel had a 5 year show-cause penalty levied against him by the NCAA, so no school was going to touch him during that time.

    mjp28M mjp28 wrote on last edited by
    #36

    @mld-woody said:

    Ok. No I'm just telling you he wasn't fired because of what Pryor did. He was fired for lying to the NCAA about. Even OSU couldn't spin that. And with everything we know Tressel did, and with what he was allegedly doing, I'd say OSU got off very easy.

    Sounds like Woody might have a OSU/OCD thing goingon here....Woody let it go, let it die, we BUCKEYE fans sure have. 😉

    GO URBAN! Best HC since....Woody?

  • Opal312O Opal312 wrote on last edited by
    #37

    Thanks Guys! I didn't know any of this! I Thought he had matured since "Tattoo Gate"

    After all the Browns did resurrect his career and he seemed grateful and a real "team" player.

    My hope is Deshone Kizer surprises everyone and becomes "that" guy!

    As for Pryor; what a fool!

    Thanks everyone

    Go Browns!

  • I was talking about right after he was fired. No one would have touched him then because of the penalty.

    Baylor coaches didn't "rat on their players". PSU officials didn't "rat on Sandusky". Right? Or, ya know, we could call it lying to the NCAA.

    Not wishful thinking. All just documented and alleged actions. Starting back at YSU. All things considered, OSU got off very well. Almost to the level of an SEC school. Almost

    The GipperT The Gipper wrote on last edited by
    #38

    @mld-woody said:

    I was talking about right after he was fired. No one would have touched him then because of the penalty.

    Baylor coaches didn't "rat on their players". PSU officials didn't "rat on Sandusky". Right? Or, ya know, we could call it lying to the NCAA.

    Not wishful thinking. All just documented and alleged actions. Starting back at YSU. All things considered, OSU got off very well. Almost to the level of an SEC school. Almost

    Everything alleged...nothing documented. In fact, I have never even heard of anything alleged except this tattoo/gold pants thing.

    And do you really want to argue a with a lawyer/magistrate about legal semantics? Yes, "failure to report" is a violation, but it is something different from "perjury".

    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.22v1

    Failure to report can be from a minor misdemeanor to a second degree misdemeanor.

    http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2921.11

    Perjury is a felony of the third degree.

    There is a big difference in the law. (and I reference Ohio law because these events occurred in Ohio).

    Now, I understand that NCAA rules are not the law.

    The NCAA probably views failure to report more harshly than the law....because the NCAA has not the force of law behind it, and has no enforcement power. Thus it relies more heavily on voluntary compliance with its reporting rules. Ergo, it treats a failure to report more harshly relatively than the law would treat it....as they have no other kind of capablility to "punish" offenders.

    Nevertheless, legally, the failure to report is not the same as lying under oath.

    So...when whomever above said he was given felony punishment for misdemeanor actions...that was essentially correct...at least in the real world.

  • It really doesn't make sense, especially in the NFL where career ending injuries can happen at any time. Pryor essentially turned down the deal Britt gladly received ($8 mill a year or so). His agent thought he could get much more, and he's an idiot. Pryor is in his mid to late 20's, and he's not going to get another big payday like this one, so he's basically betting on himself. Honestly, it doesn't make sense. I can't remember the last time I saw something like this.

    Tour2maT Tour2ma wrote on last edited by
    #39

    @jiggins7919 said:

    It really doesn't make sense, especially in the NFL where career ending injuries can happen at any time. Pryor essentially turned down the deal Britt gladly received ($8 mill a year or so). His agent thought he could get much more, and he's an idiot. Pryor is in his mid to late 20's, and he's not going to get another big payday like this one, so he's basically betting on himself. Honestly, it doesn't make sense. I can't remember the last time I saw something like this.

    The Kirk Cousins contract situation shed some interesting light on this yesterday.

    Basically facing the same security vs. payday decision in WSH Kirk said that all NFL contracts are basically 2-year deals given the way guarantees are structured.

    Then he asked how much more, if any, risk is involved in betting on yourself for one year vs. two?

  • @mld-woody said:

    Ok. No I'm just telling you he wasn't fired because of what Pryor did. He was fired for lying to the NCAA about. Even OSU couldn't spin that. And with everything we know Tressel did, and with what he was allegedly doing, I'd say OSU got off very easy.

    Sounds like Woody might have a OSU/OCD thing goingon here....Woody let it go, let it die, we BUCKEYE fans sure have. 😉

    GO URBAN! Best HC since....Woody?

    MLD WoodyM MLD Woody wrote on last edited by
    #40

    @mjp28 said:

    Sounds like Woody might have a OSU/OCD thing goingon here....Woody let it go, let it die, we BUCKEYE fans sure have. 😉

    GO URBAN! Best HC since....Woody?

    At OSU? Probably.

    Overall? He'd still be behind Saban, but he's#2