The "Modern Era" of football: 1978?
-
I don't remember any r/w/b footballs...
I've seen old film of white footballs used for night games.

This must be what I remembered, but it is not red white and blue, just white panels with brown leather. Must have combined it with memories of an ABA basketball. Of course I also remember Jiffy peanut butter, which did not exist, but is my brain combining Jif and Skippy......I don't remember any r/w/b footballs...
I've seen old film of white footballs used for night games.

-
-
lol... a peanut butter mind meld...
I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.
Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.lol... a peanut butter mind meld...
I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.
Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.
Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.
-
lol... a peanut butter mind meld...
I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.
Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.
Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.
Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.
I remember Paul Lowe and Keith Lincoln and Big Cat Ernie Ladd..and a few others from that early Chargers team. And Jack Kemp and Cookie Gilchrist from the Bills. And thinking they were all the shit.
That is why I still have somewhat of a soft spot for those two teams.
That, and the fact that neither has won a title since those AFL days.
-
lol... a peanut butter mind meld...
I watched very little AFL football as a kid. It was that "inferior", other league.
Had an Uncle tho that loved it. Fall Sunday visits to his house included Curt Gowdy and Al DeRogatis... who I had never heard of.
Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.
lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.
Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.
Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.
Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.
My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.
Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.
-
lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.
Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.
Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.
Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.
My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.
Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.
lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.
Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.
Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.
My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.
Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.
And Namath didn't throw a pass in the 4th quarter. They knew how to beat the Colts who embarrassed the BROWNS in the previous game.
-
lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.
Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.
Yep, it was still a joke all the way up until Namath to Sauer and 4 defensive interceptions proved otherwise.
Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.
My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.
Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.
lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.
Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.
Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.
My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.
Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.
The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF
-
lol... I grew up near the Parmatown Shopping Center on Ridgewood Dr. Behind the shopping center was Day Dr. and on Day Dr. were the studios of WUAB Channel 43 (IIRC), one of the first UHF channels I can remember.
Anyway... Every Saturday WUAB had a wrestling show and one of the strongest rivalries was between Ernie Ladd and Johnny Powers.
Don't forget Snell... 100+ yards rushing and the Jets only TD.
My Uncle loved the AFL's higher-scoring, air game. And when the league breaks thru in SB III they do it with a ground attack and D... go figure.
Beverly had two of the INTs and didn't sniff the MVP.
The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF
The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF
Ah... plus the local PBS channel was UHF, too... wasn't it? Channel 25?
Random brain cell alert: Just flashed back to watching the Akron Goodyears, a men's semi-pro, basketball league on Sundays around noon.
Thanks for the link. Open reel tape of TV audio... gotta love it. Once upon a time I had audio of a few Ghoulardi shows that I recorded of an Olsen Electronics open reel.
-
-
-
The other UHF channel was 61 Call letters WKBF
Ah... plus the local PBS channel was UHF, too... wasn't it? Channel 25?
Random brain cell alert: Just flashed back to watching the Akron Goodyears, a men's semi-pro, basketball league on Sundays around noon.
Thanks for the link. Open reel tape of TV audio... gotta love it. Once upon a time I had audio of a few Ghoulardi shows that I recorded of an Olsen Electronics open reel.
Ah... plus the local PBS channel was UHF, too... wasn't it? Channel 25?
Random brain cell alert: Just flashed back to watching the Akron Goodyears, a men's semi-pro, basketball league on Sundays around noon.
Thanks for the link. Open reel tape of TV audio... gotta love it. Once upon a time I had audio of a few Ghoulardi shows that I recorded of an Olsen Electronics open reel.
Yup 25 it was.. and I believe there was a 55 for a brief period.
-
....I just watched it again, priceless small market 1960s TV.
There's also a book which I was gifted when it was new... good, light read.
A number of the effects the show used were developed by the local, technical crew.

https://www.amazon.com/Ghoulardi-Inside-Cleveland-Wildest-Ride/dp/1886228183
-
Also Big Chuck: My Favorite Stories from 47 Years on Cleveland TV Hardcover October 17, 2008
by Chuck Schodowski (Author), Tom Feran (Editor) used from $1.99 on Amazon
The Buzzard: Inside the Glory Days of WMMS and Cleveland Rock Radio--A Memoir Paperback August 27, 2008...used from $7.94
by John Gorman (Author), Tom Feran (Contributor)....I saw that one on PBS.
And Ghoulardi used from $5.21 Amazon Prime TM very good condition
& FREE Shipping on orders over $25.00. Details....or free with Prime
Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.
Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.
With your input, this post could be even better 💗
Register Login